PDA

View Full Version : Cort Artisan A6

Pastorius
05-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Overall: 4.5/5

This bass really suits me, and in my humble opinion looks great in the finish I have. The only way this bass irks me is that the B string is a little too muddy for my tastes, although I'm looking to get a higher gauge string to change this.

Factory set-up: 4/5

The set up is pretty nice, with a pretty low action, which I love, being the tapping fan that I am. My old bass had a disgustingly high action due to a bowed neck, so this was a breath of fresh air. With the low action it had no fret buzz, and responded very nicely.

Playability: 4.5/5

The A6 has a pretty thin neck, which drew me to it, for all us short handed guys/gals out there, a 6 string is never too far! :lol: But in all seriousness, it makes playing fingerstyle a whole bunch easier, and fretting becomes a mile easier once you get used to the string spacing (took me about 1-2 weeks), then you're flying. I was playing stuff I'd never dream of. And tapping? Get your right hand on that fretboard, because tapping has never been easier! Crank the pickup blend to the bridge and get yourself a lovely Myung-ish tone.

Electronics: 4.5/5

Active EQ - Bass, Mid, Treble.

Volume control, pickup blend.

Bartolini MK-1's. Not top of the range Bart's, but they certainly get the job done, and get it done well. They're still Bartolini's. :p

Tone: 4/5

The tone of this bass can be changed a lot, from an old tredbly radio sound to a realtively booming bass sound (with the right amp). The only department this bass lacks in slightly is the bottom end. Compared to my bass tutor's bass, the bottom end feels slightly empty. (bare in mind he plays a 2000 custom) But the range of tones you can get simply by cranking the mid range, or the pickup blend is lovely. You can go from a mellow fingerstyle creamy sound, then lower the bass + treble, crank the mids, stick the pickup all the way to bridge, and you get a bright zingy tapping tone. Nice. It cuts through the sound of a (rock) band well too, but can dominate the sound if not balanced correctly.

Hardware: 5/5

Hipshot tuners, not sure about the bridge, but it's sturdy, I know that. I'll check out the bridge later, I used to know what it was. This thing WILL NOT de-tune no matter how much I travel with it, or shove it in it's case, or keep it out. Whatever conditions I keep it in, it always seems to keep it's tuning. Very useful for gigging, minimises the jerking aroudn before you play.

All in all, a very nice bass, and for the 800 I paid for it, I am pleased with the results. This is a bass that will last me a lifetime, and I'm glad I bought it. It turns heads with it's looks, and keeps them there with it's sound. Nice bass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Pastorius/Bass002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Pastorius/Basses/Bass019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Pastorius/Basses/Bass010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Pastorius/Basses/Bass005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Pastorius/Basses/Bass004.jpg

Radiobass81
05-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Bare in mind, ratings should be (or so the rules say :p) fro ma 1-5 scale. Also, did ya post the link on the Index?

Nice review :thumb:.

Pastorius
05-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Sorry man!

Half my ratings.

Radiobass81
05-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I had to edit all three of my reviews, as I always forgot :(.

Jamie
05-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Very very nice bass you got there!

My old Brice HXB406-b was like yours. Built like a tank and never loses tuning!

Wintermute
05-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Given that you've halved your ratings, I assume the overal rating of 4.5/9 is a typo? :lol:

Pastorius
05-15-2005, 08:45 AM
:upset:

Zetora
05-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Very nice bass, was that 800 with the case?
Do you think it may be any good for slap? meaning do you slap on it or do you think the 16mm string spacing is to slim?

Any sound clips? :P

Good review

Zet.

Pastorius
05-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I will most likely have some sound clips as soon as I can get a cannon=>jack lead, so I can record through my mic.

You get used to the thin string spacing for slap very quickly, and with the right tweaking (doesn't take long) you can get a very sweet slap tone out it, although the slap can be a little harsh sometimes. I play a lot of slap with my tutor and it's just as easy as a 4 string.

Yeah, it was 800 with case.

Zetora
05-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks, that just makes me want one even more now lol. The string spacign was the one thing which was a "put off" for me though I am sure I could adjust to that well enough.

I might have myself one by the end of this year.

Zet.

LowExpectations
05-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I love Artisans also... my A4 plays better than basses 4x it's price.

gronk
08-27-2005, 11:49 PM
I was shopping for new basses on Saturday and I went to 5 different shops. I played Warwick's, Musicman, Fender's, G & L's, Tomkins (Aussie luthier), any bass I could get my hands on. I played $6'000 basses, and to my astonishment, the bass that I liked the best was a Cort Artisan A4 that retailed for AU$1100. I played a Masterpiece Series GBMP-3 (http://www.cort.com/basses/mp/index.html) as well, and the Artisan STILL sounded and played better.

Now I got heaps of thinking to do. Do I want to go for a $3000 Warwick or a $1000 Cort?

Pastorius
09-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Get the one that feels nicest in your hands, be it 30 or 30,000.

d-1
09-17-2005, 07:44 PM
;( Don't make me jealous thats a nice looking bass

nopicks4me
04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I recently bought this bass. and i will give a 2nd mothion for this bass. its is incredible. the looks are cutting. the sound is better (in my mind) than my neighbors alembic. took me about a week to get use to the feel after playing a 4 string for 6 years. i havnt dropped it. it looks like it will last forever. no humm. its great for recording. no fret buzz but the bridge does need to be adjusted for just a toutch for intonation. i payed $775US for the bass and i almost wish i payed more.
GO CORT!

PsychoTronn
02-16-2007, 02:46 AM
nice bass