PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RBX775

Machines
05-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Now, this is a review of a bass i've had for 9 months, that is in order to fully appreciate it's capabilities. It's a 5 string bass similar to the RBXJM6 John Myung (Dream Theater) plays. I will admit to buying this bass due to this influence. I bought it from www.gak.co.uk for 415.

Specs:

Body: Alder
Neck: Bolt-on maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 600mm (23.6) radius
Frets: 24
Scale length: (889mm) 35
Pickups: Two double coil
Controls: Master volume, pickup balance, active bass and treble
Bridge: Black diecast with five individual saddles

Note the 35" scale - this enables the bass to have a much clearer (with much less fret rattle) low B string. I have Elites Stadium 45-130 scale strings on, these are particularly heavy.

The RBX is very comfortable to play, both sitting down and standing with a strap. It is moderately heavy, but I am not of small build so it isn't an issue.

Enough about the ergonomics - how does it sound ?! It's a very dark sounding and powerful bass, however it can be limited on it's repetoire of tones. The tones it can produce seem to be a mixture of Precision bass chunkiness (Neck Pickup) and Jazz smoothness (Bridge Pickup). This may sound contradictive, but it has the ability of both. The tone control on the bass isn't active, so you can only cut it to a limited degree, often sounding just a little too bright.

The 'boost' switch apparantly turns the active EQ on and off, although i'm convinced it just makes it a little bit louder when it's turned on.

Subjective technique analysis:

Slapping: Sounds good, although the neck pickup is close enough to the truss rod cover (bottom of neck) to get in the way of popping.

Tapping: High clarity and sustain, although when not plugged in the note on the other side of the fret (neck side) often rings louder sounding poor.

Finger Style: Best suited to this bass really, decent string gap to allow accuracy whilst not being too far to slow a player down.

Pick Style: On the neck pickup it sounds just like a Precision - not my preference but I could see alot of people liking this sound.

Time for pics !

http://www.mig29.org/RBX775/pic1.jpg

http://www.mig29.org/RBX775/pic2.jpg

http://storage.msn.com/x1pqP5noGPWAA65mx9aZnQSlrX40CR3hzwz-hHuUglB2lgDu1CO1b1sENt8uvvNypSvHKq5aQzOPQw6N0scoI-nlcuZXo34qSzpM69CVk-lKUBvdUaTKDODNGPdQ-iv3mbKXM_Bdd0ewx5HtAvgroDe0w

Overall rating 8/10.
Good value for money on a very well built bass. It's a gigging bass rather than recording in my opinion, this is due to the powerful output but lack of tonal variety.

Fin.

Wintermute
05-11-2005, 02:56 PM
((In the future, please post links to any new reviews in the Review Index thread.))

baggagebassman
05-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Blue flake is by far the best color. I almost got black, but they ran out!

Machines
05-12-2005, 03:12 AM
It's officially 'Flat Blue'.

Radiobass81
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Notice: You are supposed to rate from 1-5.

Nice review, tho. Great bass :thumb:.

Machines
05-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Notice: You are supposed to rate from 1-5.

Nice review, tho. Great bass :thumb:.

Aah but 1-5 is too small an increment ! (Ignore that I you could equal my score as 4/5...ssshhh)

Radiobass81
05-12-2005, 02:20 PM
:p

I really want to play the five-string version (only played the RBX774). Curious as to how it's B is...

baggagebassman
05-12-2005, 07:04 PM
:p

I really want to play the five-string version (only played the RBX774). Curious as to how it's B is...

It's not extremely floppy, but its not the tightest B I've played either.

Machines
06-08-2005, 06:07 AM
It's not extremely floppy, but its not the tightest B I've played either.

Depends on what gauge strings are used really. I have 130's and its very tight.

PaulR
06-08-2005, 08:02 AM
It's not bad. At least, from what I remember.

I have 135s on right now, thus they are too thick anyway, so my opinion on them can be ignored.

Radiobass81
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
The B SOUNDS really tight by hearing it, but I have yet to actually play it.

And I just noticed... You think it lacks tonal variety? Surprising...

Machines
06-08-2005, 09:18 AM
And I just noticed... You think it lacks tonal variety? Surprising...

I'll record a demo tonight - going through all tone/pickup options :)

Radiobass81
06-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I found it pretty versatile, except it lacked the boom of a precision (most basses do, tho).

Machines
06-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Sorry have had to delete mp3 file due to bandwidth usage on my site.

blizzard
06-09-2005, 04:12 AM
THat is a great bass I prefer it over the stingray 5 i also tried when i tried this one

(Good review as well)

twopelu
06-15-2005, 07:52 AM
The same day I tried this bass I tried the Cort Artisan B5 and the Curbow 5 strings. The crubow was worse than this, pretty much cheaper though. It sounded worst and the feel was wrost overally. The Artisan was better than thi in everything, the way it played, felt and sounded, more versatile and natural tone.

So... this bass disapointed me considering it was the bass I wanted so bad in those days. I played it and forget it. I bought the Artisan B5, awesome bass (I shouldnt have sold it, auch!).

kev_trb1006
06-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I've only played the RBX774 and was very disappointed by the feel, wld really like to try a 775, see if the neck feels any better