PDA

View Full Version : tweeter damage?

mikespahn
05-10-2005, 10:28 PM
i was reading through the manual of the SWR interstellar overdrive and it says in
"... BE SURE THAT THE TWEETER IN THE SPEAKER CABINET IS OFF when using these settings."

can too much distortion damage a speaker cabinet horn? if not what is the point of emphasizing that so much? what does it do?

Foxfire
05-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Why yes, yes it can.

I've heard this as a warning when people wish to use heavily distorted guitar with bass cabinets.

mikespahn
05-10-2005, 11:03 PM
that sucks i like the horn in my cab for fingerstyle and slap and there's no way for me to turn it on and off in the middle of playing if i switch to distortion. its an ampeg svt 410HLF so the horn is controled by an attenuator knob on the back.

why does it damage them?

Sardon
05-11-2005, 04:55 AM
Offtopic, but my tweeter is already damaged :( Atleast I think so. It doesn't affect to the sound at all. (If small humming doesn't count). There is no reason for it to be broken, but it has never worked.

museic
05-11-2005, 06:10 AM
that sucks i like the horn in my cab for fingerstyle and slap and there's no way for me to turn it on and off in the middle of playing if i switch to distortion. its an ampeg svt 410HLF so the horn is controled by an attenuator knob on the back.

why does it damage them?

i have the same cab, i think you should be ok as long as you dont run the tweeter on full, i have it on half and i use distortion sometimes.

csdunek
05-11-2005, 08:32 AM

solder in a foot switch connector for it. Then you can bump it on and off while you are playing.

mikespahn
05-13-2005, 07:57 PM
how much distortion does it take to damage them? is a harsher distortion more damaging? why does it damage the horn and not the other speakers?

WAcky
05-13-2005, 08:08 PM
yeah...im about to get the warwick 411 pro...could a big muff pi damage it? my sound has a very slappy 'fieldy' sound to it (not as over the top as his)...could this damage it?

lol ive gone all paranoid

mikespahn
05-19-2005, 12:16 AM
hopefully edgebass will look at this, he would probably know about this kinda thing.

mikespahn
02-14-2006, 03:21 PM
can it damage the other speakers as well?

Bass_swede
02-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Sometimes the tweeter on my 15 watt Laney starts to give this silent "scream".. It stops after a few seconds, I guess I've played that amp a little too hard!

edgebass5
02-14-2006, 03:43 PM
distortion is not what destroys tweeters. simply put, tweeters are wimps :lol:

they simply can not handle a whole lot of wattage. Run them too hot and they'll likely blow. That being said, you can CLEARLY hear when a tweeter is being driven too hard, so just let your ears be the judge. if it sounds fine, then keep running it the way you are. if its popping and clicking excessively, just turn the attenuator a bit. :thumb:

moghes69
02-14-2006, 03:44 PM
can it damage the other speakers as well?
if you have a really harsh gritty distortion and are playing at high volumes i suppose that you are more likely to blow out a speaker.