Tryxx
05-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Specs-

Velvet Quilt Blue
Bartolini pick-ups
Active Bartolini NTMB pre-amp
Volume, Balance, Mids, Treble, Bass

Overall 10/10

This is THE best bass I've ever played, and I've had quite an array of basses in my hand, rangeing from Alembic, to Ken Smith, Warwick, Pedulla, and the like. I do believe it must suit your tastes though, as the Graphite Neck and Phelonic fretboard do lead a different sound than wood. I'd also like to mention that I've called the Modulus factory several times, and the customer service is unsurpassed.

Playability 10/10

This bass is a speed demon, I found myself moving faster than I ever had, and my slapping style evolved greatly. There is so much you can do with this bass that I can't list the things. Tapping, slapping, GREAT fingerstyle, the like. It's all there, this bass can do it all, and coupled with the electronics you can get any tone you like. 35" scale leads for a nice tight B and great fingerstyle tension for any player that likes to reach 180 BPMs or so for fingerstyle and funk.

Electronics 9/10

Great, they suit my tastes perfectly, these, like the bass, are extremely versatile. But I do believe you should probably try messing with maybe the OBP-3 pre-amp and the like to way your options. In the end that is just what you like.

Tone 9/10

It's not all wood, so it's definitly not the same, but I love it. Once again, it's just something you have to try. I'll try and post recordings soon, but the best I can do to describe (and it may not be completely accurate) but, industrial. I find that it leads that kind of sound. Though you can get much more out of it. I suggest you listen to the Modulus Song by Toast Machine. http://www.toastmachine.net

Hardware/Build 10/10

It's built to last, the 5A quilted maple top is beautifull, the harware is strong and true. I've had no trouble with the bridge and the tuners have never slipped, even being in my gig bag and what not.

This is just a great bass, one that if you have your eyes on, or even have an idea that you want is a must. I can't stress that enough. It's different, in a good way for me. Get out there and try to find one. You won't be sorry.

Now-here's a recording of me just doing a few simple things on the bass so get a taste as to how it sounds. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/tryxxmusic.htm
"Modulus Take"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/game101/modulus2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/game101/modulus5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/game101/modulus6.jpg

FunkyMonkCP
05-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Awesome bass man! You gotta love modulus basses. I want to check out a quantum, I'm sure they sound great. I'm only gonna buy modulus's from now on.

Wintermute
05-09-2005, 08:53 PM
((Please post a link to any new reviews in the review index))

((Damn fine bass though...))

Tryxx
05-09-2005, 08:57 PM
I'll also be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the bass.

((Please post a link to any new reviews in the review index))

((Damn fine bass though...))

Thanks Alex, I'll probably write a review for the GT-6B if you don't beat me to it. (or anyone else) Also one probably for a Michael Kelly, I need pictures of both...

baggagebassman
05-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I believe you just wanted an excuse to show it off! :p Great review and great bass too.

Tryxx
05-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I believe you just wanted an excuse to show it off! :p Great review and great bass too.

Nah, not really. :thumb: Of course I'm not ashamed of it, but it's just not everyday someone gets an actual review of a bass that they can be sure of. And this isn't really the easiest bass to accertain... Also I'm willing to help with questions so first hand experience is a plus.

Radiobass81
05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Great review :thumb:.

Pastorius
05-24-2005, 05:02 PM
How much did you pay for it, and how big are your hands?

EDIT: Just looked at the site - MONEYMONEYMONEY

Wintermute
05-24-2005, 05:52 PM
One of the nicest and thinnest 6-string bass necks

Praise from the Ox is praise indeed!

Tryxx
05-24-2005, 11:15 PM
How much did you pay for it, and how big are your hands?

EDIT: Just looked at the site - MONEYMONEYMONEY

$3000 flat. And my hands are pretty small, and contrary to the pictures, that neck is thin and fast. If I can play it, anyone can. Only thing with me is that it's taking time to get clean stretches on the 35" scale.

edgebass5
06-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Couple of things worth mentioning:

I believe the Bartolini pickups in the Quantum models are passive, its the EMG model Quantums that have truly active pickups.

In regards to the electronics; I've always found this to be the weak point in Modulus basses. I've seen tons of Fleas and Quantums with poorly shielded, poorly laid out and just generally sub-standard electronics compartments for basses in this price range. Can you provide a picture of your exposed control cavity? I've typically found the shielding to be limited to just the underside of the control cavity, I've seen batteries that were not held in place by any means, and were simply covered with foam and a rubberband to keep it from damaging internal components as it banged around. I've also been witnessed to some rather poor soldering and wiring layout schemes. By all accounts, Modulus does everything else very well, but this seems to be their achilles heel. Oddly enough, they do use very high quality preamps and controls, they just don't follow them up with properly (so it would seem).

Tryxx
06-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Couple of things worth mentioning:

I believe the Bartolini pickups in the Quantum models are passive, its the EMG model Quantums that have truly active pickups.

In regards to the electronics; I've always found this to be the weak point in Modulus basses. I've seen tons of Fleas and Quantums with poorly shielded, poorly laid out and just generally sub-standard electronics compartments for basses in this price range. Can you provide a picture of your exposed control cavity? I've typically found the shielding to be limited to just the underside of the control cavity, I've seen batteries that were not held in place by any means, and were simply covered with foam and a rubberband to keep it from damaging internal components as it banged around. I've also been witnessed to some rather poor soldering and wiring layout schemes. By all accounts, Modulus does everything else very well, but this seems to be their achilles heel. Oddly enough, they do use very high quality preamps and controls, they just don't follow them up with properly (so it would seem).

I'm pretty sure they're both active. I have an 18 volt supply in there. I'll have a picture tomorrow, but everything is layed out very well from what I can tell.

Tryxx
06-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Note that the 9 volts are stacked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/game101/Bass%20Stuff/Q6Elec2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/game101/Bass%20Stuff/Q6Elec1.jpg

Phalanx
06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
nice bass dude, that is a stupidly nice neck

Led_Zeppelin678
06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Nice! :thumb: I've always wanted to play a bass with a graphite neck...

Also, what kind of Alembic did you have, and do you have any pics of it?

WhoDidTheElf
06-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Great review! Gorgeous bass bro! :thumb:

Chameleon
06-04-2005, 03:57 PM
My monitor now has lick marks all over it.....

edgebass5
06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
It looks like they've moved to get the electronics wiring more tidy, which is a definite plus. I'm still not impressed by their cavity shielding, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to basses.

Tryxx
06-04-2005, 08:42 PM
It looks like they've moved to get the electronics wiring more tidy, which is a definite plus. I'm still not impressed by their cavity shielding, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to basses.

Heh, I thought it was pretty good. I've seen rather humble basses with MUCH worse. It still smells paint-y fresh, actually.

And the story on the Alembic is that my old store used to have one used. I was good friends with the owners and several that worked there, it was there for a couple weeks and I always came in and jammed with it. At the time, it was FAR above anything I could have considered. I believe it was a 5 string Rogue or Orion... Something fairly traditional looking.

Charmand G
06-05-2005, 04:39 AM
Man, Modulus`are THE basses!! My next project will get either one of those Quantum 5`s or one of Basslab`s funky basses.

How much did that 6`er set you back?

Tryxx
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Man, Modulus`are THE basses!! My next project will get either one of those Quantum 5`s or one of Basslab`s funky basses.

How much did that 6`er set you back?

It was $3,000 exactly, case and all.