PDA

View Full Version : Squire Starter Kit

Duncster
05-08-2005, 02:45 PM
This kit is very much hated by this bass forum it seems. When I first came I asked what bass to get and everyone this starter kit so I bought it. I have never regretted this and I've had it for over a year. I own the precision version.

The worst bass I ever tried was a Squire Bronco, which had terrible action/sound/everything. It was a used bass in the shop and was just...bad. If you are going to get a squire you should get the kit brand new, because the other squires I have tried haven't been nearly as good as mine. I have tried many very good basses and the squire I own myself really isn't much worse then them. As long as you keep it in good condition and buy it brand new it should be a great buy. It is definitely awesome if you are wanting to try bass out, and aren't sure if you are going to get into it or not. If you know you are going to be quite seruious about the instrument you may want to skip squire and try something like a good Fender or Ibanez. I haven't had any real maintenance problems, and play it non-stop.

Overall the Squire Starter Kit offers a great deal to the aspiring bassist.

Features
-Squire bass (comes in red, blue, and black)
-Softshell Case
-Video teaching the basics of the bass with a transcription booklet inside.
-15watt amp
Cost-500$

For a starter bass I give this a 9/10.
http://www.squierguitars.com/gear/show_product.php?product=0321503&feature_id=1:0

Wintermute
05-08-2005, 02:59 PM
((Please post a link to any new reviews in the review index))

Staticstarter
05-08-2005, 03:15 PM
The Squier Bass Pack (Precision model) was my very first bass. Perfect for beginner musicians. Eventually, I got myself an Ibanez 70's Musican Series bass, Which completely overshadows the squier (as it should!).

but, but! just recently I've returned to the squier. cut the high end to zero on it's split P p/u's and discovered it's unique 'pop', or punch that it delivers. It's an alder body (alder is great for mid frequencies) and it the P's brings it right out. I'm using the squier now for a particular song, and it deliver the exact tone I want. Now on stage, it sits side by side with the thunderous Ibanez- proof that any guitar can be good, once you discover it's sound.

-Brent David Johnson-
www.autoviolet.com

Duncster
05-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Sorry WM!

Wintermute
05-09-2005, 07:05 PM
No problem, as I did see it. It's just that if you don't let us know about any new reviews, and we don't spot them, they won't be added to the index, and hardly anyone will ever see it.

TYPUNK
10-10-2005, 10:54 AM
I got the Squier Bass kit for Christmas last year. Its great but the movie didnt really help me.

pitchfork
10-14-2005, 09:47 AM
I've played squiers, i prefered them to my stagg starter but it did cost twice as much, good solid starter basses and the sound isn't to bad on them either.

IanEye
10-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Well said everyone, Squier don't say that they're bass has an automatic flushing toilet on it, They don't say that it has warp factor 990 on it, they say, standard, playable, resilient bass, and on so many other forums i've heard people complaining about them,

the moral of this story, If you want a better bass, SPEND MORE MONEY

PainKiller8191
10-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Cost-500$
wtf? this was the first thing i bought as well and it cost me less than 300$(I don't remember exactly how much)

metal_bassist88
10-18-2005, 04:21 AM
I got the squire starter pack about a year and a half ago wen i started bass and at the time i wasvery happy with the p-bass. The problems started about 6-8 months later when the p-bass started making funny noises all the time like a horrible electrical sound-so i sent it bak to fender to get it fixed and it was ok for about a week then started making the noises again.
I then took it back to the shop and they could find what was wrong with it but they sent it off to get the tone knob fixed. the report from fender came back and it aid that they couldnt find anything wrong with it. another month later (just after christmas) i bought me yamaha RBX374 and sent my p-bass off to fender demanding a replacement. After a long time and a few mistakes by the shop i got me new p-bass. No problems with it so far (my girlfriend is curently using it).
Basicly i have no problems with the amp, tuiton book (i didnt get the video) and bag(except it only has one strap on it) but the p-bass has put me off fender/squire altogether.

IanEye
10-18-2005, 09:16 AM
wtf? this was the first thing i bought as well and it cost me less than 300$(I don't remember exactly how much)

On the sunny Isle of Man here, the local music shop, well, really the only music shop which sells instruments at the moment, sells the Squier Jazz Bass(standard)at a handsome sum of 250, I found the same one for 169 froom soundslive.co.uk plus p and p 10

spaz21387
10-19-2005, 02:03 PM
500 dollars? i paid 350 for my mim fender jazz at guitar center you got ripped off dude. I got it when they had a sale though. I didnt think they would give me 100 dollars off but its cool cuz i needed to get a new bridge cuz the stock fender bridges suck on the mexi basses.

Urbreathsmells
10-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Maybe a typo or he lives in the UK or something. But I've played a nice PJ squier before. I really wish Fender would be more consistent in their work. They can make some nice quality equipment.

bassist_for_a_band
10-20-2005, 06:26 PM
I had this as my first bass. Got it last September. Only bass I have. I love it, it's great. Everything I need.

BigShoes
10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
i got one of these and it crapped out on me in 2 weeks and screws kept falling out. I dont have it anymore

Naminator
10-31-2005, 02:32 PM
as im writing this i asked my dad to send it to the shop to get the G string put on, i got it in red the problem is the finish work they gave it, the damn tone knob keeps falling of im just waiting for my mike dirnt sig bass!!1

spaz21387
10-31-2005, 02:39 PM
All you do with the tone knob is get an allen wrench and tighten the set screw. Also some of fenders bridges on their basses really suck I had to get a new one on my mim jazz bass.

VRT_RONBO
11-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I had some extra time and figgured I would add my $.02 worth. I always laugh at reviews of Squier basses around the internet and even peoples occasional opinion on this forum. For some reason people think that these under $200 basses should be compared with Foderas and Sadowskis. Well I will tell you right here this bass WILL NOT compare to $1000+ basses, however, this is a solid ENTRY LEVEL instrument. The great thing is you can learn to play the instrument on it, begin playing with other musicians (even begin gigs), and as you get better you can easily upgrade these things. Make no mistake this is a Fender, so you can pretty much bolt-on bridges, pick-ups, and pick-gaurds that fit a Fender. The only thing left "Squire" on mine is the body and neck and I still play mine. Squires are a bit inconsistent I have played some that sound as good as any MIM Fender but some are not made so well. I would recommend playing 4-5 and picking the one that sounds/feels the best. Just remember that you are buying an entry level bass to learn on. There will be plenty of time to drop $1000+ on basses, heads, cabs, processors, etc. in the future. Enjoy the time when a low cost instrument brings so much joy.:thumb:

blackflagfiend
11-20-2005, 11:26 AM
what strings are on the the squier starter kit bass?

Akira
11-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Where do you live? Australia?
500$ can't be American.

Hardinge
12-09-2005, 10:02 AM
i have this bass as well, for 250 i think its good value for money although there was an ibanez starter kit as well which i think is cheaper than the squier

TheBassStylee
12-29-2005, 10:08 PM
i agree with most people on this.. the Squier P-bass is a great buy for the beginner. i also bought the "bass pak" ($289 or somthing) for myself when i first started playin, just over a year ago and i loved it. it lasted me with no problems (except for the occasional loosening of the pots, no big deal and easy to tighten). now that i am getting more into playing, i got board of the basic tone of the stock pickup so i got a fender deluxe jazz bass (mexi), which i like much better (and i'm also getting spoiled with the preamp, lol), but still, i think the squier is one of THE BEST begginer basses.

P.S. - i'm thinking about hooking mine up with an EMG active pickup for a tone change.

IPolkaLikeThis!
12-29-2005, 10:12 PM
i had my squire for 5 years now. its a solid bass, with crappy tone, but if you are a beginer, you dont need no conklin. all you need to do as a beginer is to put out sound and learn songs and scales. tone comes later.

pitchfork
01-01-2006, 06:56 AM
250 (about $500) is the price for a squier starter package over here