PDA

View Full Version : Roland DB500

Radiobass81
05-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Bought at $400 new.

Features: 4.5/5

Shape button (choose speakers sound), 3-band EQ w/ mid frequency, ability to sound like a Solid state, tube, or tube driver, built-in chorus and compressor, and, the most impressive thing, the programmable EQ :thumb:. Took a point off as this model can't get an extension cab.

Sound: 4.5/5

Superb, but not for everyone. I've always thought of the DB sound as an SWR with beefed up mids, and a more clear tone. The amp itself can probably get any tone desirable, or atleast any tone I've tried looking for. Oh, and it's LOUD. Also take in consideration the chorus. Reason I took a point of was, if you have the compressor at max and raise the treble, it gets a bit hissy.

Portability: 4/5

At 54lbs, compared to other amps of it's size and all, this is a very lightweight amp. The ONLY thing they could have made were casters on the side, but they aren't needed, so it's forgiven.

Reliability: 3/5

I've recently had problems with the amp. Not sure what it is, but the good tone has been gone and replaced with horrible hiss and overdrive. I'm the only one I know with the problem, so I'll take a point of, but still, be wary.

Overall: 4/5

AMAZING amp. I recommend playing it beforehand, but I highly doubt you will dislike it (hoping you get a good model).

EDIT: Updated because of the problems I've had with it.

sixxbassist90
05-08-2005, 03:11 PM
sounds like a nice amp, i am planning to get a new amp and a chorus pedal, since this has both, i could just get this.

Radiobass81
05-08-2005, 05:53 PM
It's an amazing amp. Everyone who has played one on the forums either bought one or loves them.

cAPS_lOCK, Fatbandit, Cliffburontules, Apacherosepeackock, etc.

edgebass5
05-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I've always thought of the DB sound as an SWR with beefed up mids, and a more clear tone.

Hmmmm.... that's odd, because I've always thought of the SWR tone as being 'all-mids that create an overly clear tone'. Just goes to show ya how subjective tone really is!