View Full Version : Ibanez EDA905

05-08-2005, 01:50 AM

Reason for buying: I played it, and liked it. Cost me $449. Retail is between $699 and $799 (or was at the time).

--Active EQ. The active EQ makes such knobs as the bass/mid boost a little more control.
--Fishman II bridge w/ Piezo Pickup. This actually does keep the other strings from vibrating so much. Also, the piezo pickup adds for even more tonal varieties.
--Case Availability. Despite its odd look, this bass' body was carved from a P-Bass body, so it fits perfectly into any P-Bass case.
--Body. The body is light, but heavy enough to keep the bass well-balanced.

--Luthite Body. The luthite body doesn't allow the sustain that wood gives. It also affects the next item on the list.
--Lacking tone. The growly tone many look for does not exist because the body is not wood. The tone is a little dry and sometimes what you play is too clear (darn piezo).
--Passive P/ups. They don't give the extra "oomph!" to the active EQ, so it is almost pointless. They just feel like they are missing something.

Overall I like the bass and I would recommend it. When it comes down to it, my rating is based on tone, which is entirely subjective to the player.

Rating: 4/5

05-08-2005, 02:32 AM
I chose an RBX775 over the EDA905 - mainly due to price that is.

I played an EDA905, but I wasn't that impressed to be honest. As you said the sound is very clear - almost sterile in tone. To me it sounds just like your playing through a microphone and not a big slab of wood.

It's got wicked styling though which i'm very fond of :thumb:

Any chance of recordings ?

05-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't have a working soundcard, so there wont be any recordings for a while.

05-09-2005, 04:58 AM
Do you not find that you can only get very trebley sounds from it? I tested one for quite a long time through a good GK stack when I was in Sydney, and I just couldn't get rid of the weak piezo-sound. No matter how much I tried to blend in the magnetic pickup, it still sounded really weak, trebley and brittle. I could put some low-end onto it with the amp, but the bass itself never really gave any low-end out.

Although it's a quality instrument, I wouldn't even consider buying it, because it just can't do the tone I want, which is a warm, thumpy vintage sound. It's still pretty cool though, and luthite bodies aren't nearly as bad as some people think.

05-09-2005, 07:49 AM
It's like I said, tone is ultimately the deciding factor for this bass. I personally like the tone. It isn't used by alot of people.

05-11-2005, 11:06 AM
do you happen to know what kind of strings are on the bass by default. my b broke and im thinking of getting the same kind of strings again because i kinda like them

05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Elixir. I owned one too, and I really did not like it. The luthite really sucks, and the pups/electronics are crap.

05-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Luthite is actually pretty good. If I'm not mistaken, Cort Curbows are made from it. It's the combination of pups and electronics that makes the EDA905 sound...undesirable to most.

11-04-2005, 12:00 AM
I've played on the 4 string version of this and I personally liked the tone it gave me. Going through my GK half-stack I was able to get a tone similar to what Sublime's bassist used, a good example is the song "What I Got".

But as has been said, tone is still subjective to each individual.

Ich Habe Sheisse
11-04-2005, 07:19 AM
I played a fretless EDA once upon a time... absolute secks. By far, the easiest-playing fretless I've ever laid a finger on.