PDA

View Full Version : Album Charts

mx
04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
The album charts worked as I intended for the first few weeks of the site, as there was considerable change. However, all the albums there have become 'entrenched' and the area is now a static part of the site.

Some ideas I had:

1) Restart the charts every week from scratch
or
2) Only have the charts for new releases
or
3) Retire certain albums to a hall of fame

Your ideas?

Brain Toad
04-24-2005, 10:46 PM
I like the first idea with restarting them from scratch to give a good rotation. Although having it only for new releases will work well, kind of like Billboard charts and the like.

Jom
04-25-2005, 12:32 AM
First idea sounds best, basically for the reasons BSLaT described.

I really don't like the second idea too much, to be honest.

The Hall of Fame thing seems a bit intriguing... what would constitute an album being retired to said area? Star rating? How well-received a review was?

Damrod
04-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Well, I am not quite sure if I understand on what the charts will be based on, if they are reset every week. Still on the number of users that have the albums on their playlist? That would keep it all the same, or not...? Maybe someone could clear it up for me... :upset:

the2stranger
04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
indeed, :confused:
or does it only count for the votes made for a specific album in one week?

the new releases idea doesn't sound to good, cause all the 'classics'have been reviewed months ago, and so the classics will never enter the charts anymore.
but the albums are considered classic bacause of a good reason, it's great music.

-----------

bright idea by me:

change the charts every week, and the genre of the chart chnages every week too.
so one week we have a:

death metal chart
the other week a black metal chart.
after that a classic rock chart
and so on.

but we should keep the genres whide, and not make a different chart for all the subgenres of deathmetal for example.
cause I don't know if there are enough reviews (and votes) when we take this too specific.

hope this makes sense :)

Damrod
04-25-2005, 10:23 AM
indeed, :confused:
or does it only count for the votes made for a specific album in one week?

the new releases idea doesn't sound to good, cause all the 'classics'have been reviewed months ago, and so the classics will never enter the charts anymore.
but the albums are considered classic bacause of a good reason, it's great music.

-----------

bright idea by me:

change the charts every week, and the genre of the chart chnages every week too.
so one week we have a:

death metal chart
the other week a black metal chart.
after that a classic rock chart
and so on.

but we should keep the genres whide, and not make a different chart for all the subgenres of deathmetal for example.
cause I don't know if there are enough reviews (and votes) when we take this too specific.

hope this makes sense :)

But basically we have charts for every genre already, as there are charts for the Genrepages and subgenres. They just don't show directly on the main page

EDIT: Ok, I checked it, maybe not for the single sub-genres, but for the major genres.

Iai
04-26-2005, 06:01 AM
How about user-submitted charts?

Give powers to Med57 and Damrod, allowing them to change the chart on the main page. Then, the charts could become lists made by users. This would be dynamic, and would give users something fun to do.

/idea combine ++