PDA

View Full Version : How to make a good "band thread"

Permanent Solution
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Ok, basically one reason our band discussions are lacking, is that no one is really starting great threads. Starting a thread with "Discuss" or "Does anyone else like this band?" is not the way to go. It doesn't generate enough discussion. You also don't want to write an FA, or if you do, please do, we need those too, but for a basic band thread, don't write an FA.

Do write a description of the band, including things like "Sounds like" and why you like them. If you're making the thread because of some sort of news, please leave a link to a legitimate source, and don't start a thread based on some rumor you read on another message board.

Use http://www.yousendit.com to upload songs for unknown bands. How it works is you go there, send a file to the server (you don't have to enter an email address) and it will give you a link. Paste that link in your thread and then people who don't know the band can get a song to listen to to try to get them interested in the band.

If you write a good short paragraph and have some audio links, the thread is much more successful and people can get into new bands. You can generate better discussion and they don't die out within a page. It's not a lot of effort to write a paragraph praising a band you want to share and uploading a song or two takes 10 minutes on a decent internet connection.

Feel free to add to this.

Oz Rembrandt
04-12-2005, 02:10 PM
You mean, kinda like my FFAF one?

albert_bass
04-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Or my bigwig one. Everyone should read this anyway.

Permanent Solution
04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
You guys both lacked audio clips. Reading about a band doesn't make me buy a CD. I use slsk and my network, but I can't find a lot of stuff. Audio clips are necessary and key in good band threads.

Luxor
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
That's true. A lot of time I'm much too lazy to find stuff myself by a band I haven't heard before. I like it when people post songs.

albert_bass
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Nope. I had a link to their homepage that has almost every song in hi and lo quality. And I said that in the thread.

EDIT: only in one quality but whatever. And I think I did it pretty well because now some more people love Bigwig.

El_Shiznit
04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
No they aren't. If enough people know the band, then there's no point. It will generate enough discussion without one.

Permanent Solution
04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Nope. I had a link to their homepage that has almost every song in hi and lo quality. And I said that in the thread.
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6399069&postcount=1
? Am I looking at the wrong one? :-/

albert_bass
04-12-2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6399069&postcount=1
? Am I looking at the wrong one? :-/

No, but look below, I was expanding it. Because the site didn't work well at first try.

Permanent Solution
04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
No, but look below, I was expanding it. Because the site didn't work well at first try.
Ah, I missed that, yes, those two posts together are what a good band thread would start as.

Dustin: Unless it's a band that has an official thread, not everyone may have heard them, especially newer people, can it hurt to have them? No, so why not make them essential?

albert_bass
04-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Yeah clips are a good thing. When I see clips of songs I always at least listen to one of them.

Kif
04-12-2005, 02:24 PM
You guys both lacked audio clips. Reading about a band doesn't make me buy a CD. I use slsk and my network, but I can't find a lot of stuff. Audio clips are necessary and key in good band threads.
I also suggest using Purevolume links, or checking the band's website to see if they have any downloads

RazorsInTheNight
04-12-2005, 03:05 PM
I may add some to my Dickies thread...

sweboy
04-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Audio? On the Internet? Now I've seen it all.

cbmartinez
04-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Good work Vince.

Permanent Solution
04-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Bumped for teh Americans to read.

cobert
04-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Bumped for teh Americans to read.

:angry:

Permanent Solution
04-12-2005, 07:08 PM
What? :(

PDWAB
04-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Good work Mr. Vince.

Kif
04-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Oh, I'd also like to add that if you post a regular link on it's own and click it, it will open up on the MX page. But if you put it in a [URL= ] [/URL ] tag (Minus the spaces of course), the page will open in a new window with the hassle of right clicking and pressing "Open in new window"

B
11-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Lolz bump

Vince told me too

It needs to be edited a bit though.

Mute Print
11-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Haha, some people really need to read this.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-06-2005, 12:30 PM
imo, the posters make a thread 'good' not the first post.

But yeah, its better to have some info.

B
11-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I know. Hence my sneaky {:rolleyes:} bump.

To Brian.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-06-2005, 12:31 PM
A trick, bump an old thread and then as soon as someone else has posted delete your post :cool:

B
11-06-2005, 12:32 PM
oic. I'll remember that one. Except mods will know :p.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-06-2005, 12:34 PM
oh yeah, i forgot about that... :(

sweboy
11-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Thread bumping? On the Internet? Now I've seen it all.

B
11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Audio? On the internet? Now I've seen it all.

lolz.

Tjebby
11-06-2005, 01:07 PM

Woah. You... back in HERE... Now I'VE seen it all.

When was the last time you posted in Pop-punk...? It seems quite some time.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-06-2005, 01:08 PM
It wasn't that long ago i don't think, a few weeks ?

Tjebby
11-06-2005, 01:12 PM
It wasn't that long ago i don't think, a few weeks ?
Oh... I thought he hasn't been back here for a long time.

billiejoe84
11-06-2005, 11:42 PM
imo, the posters make a thread 'good' not the first post.

Dan, much as I respect your posts, this one disappoints me. Far too often I have seen a promising thread get ruined by the first reply being some smartass semi-vet making a negative comment, followed by a ton of n00bs and n00b/wannabes following suit in an attempt to look cool/curry favour with aforementioned semi-vet.

Hence, I say, say what you feel, as opposed to going along with what the general vibe of the thread so far has implied.

As far as this thread specifically goes, I have a couple of cool bands which I think people here may like. However, these will be found in new threads, as and when I see fit to make them.

:chug:

TakeWarning
11-07-2005, 05:20 AM

Have you seen a man eat his own head?

No.

Then you haven't seen it all.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Dan, much as I respect your posts, this one disappoints me. Far too often I have seen a promising thread get ruined by the first reply being some smartass semi-vet making a negative comment, followed by a ton of n00bs and n00b/wannabes following suit in an attempt to look cool/curry favour with aforementioned semi-vet.

Hence, I say, say what you feel, as opposed to going along with what the general vibe of the thread so far has implied.

As far as this thread specifically goes, I have a couple of cool bands which I think people here may like. However, these will be found in new threads, as and when I see fit to make them.

:chug:

I don't get ya, i meant the thread topic post, writing loads ablout a band doesn't make a thread neccesarily better i mean.

Gnarmageddon
11-07-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't get ya, i meant the thread topic post, writing loads ablout a band doesn't make a thread neccesarily better i mean.
But the more information, the better. Correct?

Angry Balled Fists!
11-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Yeah, definetley.

Gnarmageddon
11-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Well then what do you mean by this?

writing loads ablout a band doesn't make a thread neccesarily better i mean.

Agent_Orange
11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
I have learned the key to making a good band thread is just simply not o. The last band thread I made that was any good was my Hot Water Music thread. I had a Bowling for Soup thread that got so full of spam and hate post it was unreal. PDWAB had to close it because people waer just bashing the band non-stop. For every one good post there was at least ten bad ones. So I just said fecks it no more threads for me.

But I would like to start doing the News threads again. I don't like the way they are being done now.

WHOA!!!!! What happen to the news thread did we just give up on it or what???!!!!

TakeWarning
11-07-2005, 08:15 AM
People need to pay more attention to band threads.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Well then what do you mean by this?

I mean the discussion us posters make about a band make the thread good.

Agent_Orange
11-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Yeah I agree with that. If the posters doesn't like the band no matter how good the first post is the thread will go no where.

But yet I still find it important to do your best as first impressions are very important.

Mcflylova
05-10-2006, 01:12 PM
So McFly is a band from England, they sing pop, punk rock type stuff...they have four members, Danny, Tom, Harry, and Dougie.
They are the youngest band to ever hit a number one spot....beating out The Beatles, they just relased their album"just my luck" in america, and the movie "Just My Luck"which they are in with Lindsey Lowhan is coming out soon!
They have amazing voices, along with great drum and guitar solos! and EVERYONE of their songs is catchy...they have met Billy Joe from Green Day, they look up to them as well as The Beach Boys, The Killers, The Who. Blink 182 and of corse The Beatles.....
they have a site on both myspace, and a private one...
www.myspace.com.mcfly
www.mcflyofficial.com

Check them out! its tottally worth your while! :thumb:

cheers! :chug:

p.s. please be forgiving...im still learning about this site, and have never posted before! thanks!

Bad Blood
05-10-2006, 01:16 PM
So McFly is a band from England, they sing pop, punk rock type stuff...they have four members, Danny, Tom, Harry, and Dougie.
They are the youngest band to ever hit a number one spot....beating out The Beatles, they just relased their album"just my luck" in america, and the movie "Just My Luck"which they are in with Lindsey Lowhan is coming out soon!
They have amazing voices, along with great drum and guitar solos! and EVERYONE of their songs is catchy...they have met Billy Joe from Green Day, they look up to them as well as The Beach Boys, The Killers, The Who. Blink 182 and of corse The Beatles.....
they have a site on both myspace, and a private one...
www.myspace.com.mcfly
www.mcflyofficial.com

Check them out! its tottally worth your while! :thumb:

cheers! :chug:

p.s. please be forgiving...im still learning about this site, and have never posted before! thanks!

omg plz gtfo

Dead Star
05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Ben, chill.

Help the Noobs.

It would be better suited in here (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116).

Bad Blood
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Heh, I know, but "McFlylova" :rolleyes: and then first post is bumping an old thread to post about McFly as if no one had ever heard of them.

Get Fighted
05-10-2006, 01:53 PM
He must be taking the piss.

B
05-10-2006, 02:30 PM
if he were taking a piss he would be in a bathroom. good try though.

Ross
05-10-2006, 02:31 PM
I thought it was quite funny.

Assuming he's joking.

Ah well, +++postcount I spose.

DepthsOfDreams555
05-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I just have to say that he spelled Lindsay Lohan wrong.

Lindsey Lowhan

:p

sweboy
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Double thread bumping? On the Internet? Now I've really seen it all.

Permanent Solution
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Well at least he was semi-reading the rules guys...

form
05-10-2006, 06:08 PM
if he were taking a piss he would be in a bathroom. good try though.

I :lol:

Dead Star
05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Double thread bumping? On the Internet? Now I've really seen it all.

Sweboy? On the Internet? Now I've really seen it all.