PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

prone07
03-20-2005, 12:22 PM
The reason I wanted to review this amp is because of the reviews that make it synonymous with "nu metal" Yes, this amp is obviously capable of creating a fat, fuzzy, bassy, sound with no mids and tons of treble and gain. What it never gets credit for is that it has many other tones covering the spectrum of clean to mildly dirty blues, classic rock, and old-school metal.

Clean channel: Before I had my Mesa, I played through a Carvin MTS tube head and cab(which is actually a great amp, i'll review later). I also used a Marshall TSL head. Both of amps are very nice, but the Mesa's clean channel is better in my opinion. It's bright and spanky like an acoustic, but still warm and creamy sounding also. The clean channel also has the option to switch between clean and dirty, so you basically get an extra dirty channel. I usually use this setting as a dirtier clean sound and not a distortion channel. It sounds similar to the raw setting on channels 2 and 3.

Channel 2: As with channel 3, this channel has 3 modes to choose from- Raw, a mild bluesy gain with it's own characteristics, Vintage, great for lead playing or less intense rhythm playing, very creamy sounding, and Modern- the ultimate high gain channel, very bright and capable of getting very distorted. Channel 2 is the dedicated Vintage channel.

Channel 3: Same as channel 2, but whereas 2 is voiced for the vintage channel, 3 is voiced for modern. This modern has a lot more presence and sounds more scooped(mids dropped out). I usually use this channel on modern for my main distortion sound. I keep the mids up to about 4 or 5 and the bass about the same. Presence can be kept low on this channel since it is preset to be voiced very high. Treble about on 6. These settings enable me to get a very tight, defined thrash metal or hardcore sound.

Another important feature is the Tube Rectifier/Solid State Rectifier setting and Bold/Spongy setting on the rear panel. I usually keep the first on Tube for a warmer more natural sound. But this makes the sound not as tight, so I keep the latter setting on bold to focus my sound. I could go on in more detail, but this is getting pretty long.

Basically, this amp has enough channels and settings within each channel, and on the rear panel that you can dial in many different tones good for almost any style of music. I highly recommend plugging into one and exploring all the channels and finding your own tone and not just the typical ones everyone already uses(unless that is your sound)

acrypticburial
03-20-2005, 04:22 PM
good review. you should definatly do a review on the carvin, im sure quite a few people would appreciate it.

prone07
03-21-2005, 07:08 PM
I will definately review the Carvin soon. I just have to play a gig with it again to remember all of it's nuances. Glad you liked the Mesa review! thanks

Mick_Maggot
03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
im looking to buy a mesa boogie dual rec

thanks for the info!

Andross
03-23-2005, 12:57 AM
man i wish i could afford a mesa its sounds like a badass amp. so its def good for say a nice low chunky sound distortion like Killswitch Engage or Soilwork for instance?

doctorpfleegor
03-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Excellent review!! I have been debating what kind of tube head to get for a while now and that review put my a few steps closer to a rectifier. Thanks.

sounds_of_sanguinity
03-26-2005, 04:35 AM
Excellent review!! I have been debating what kind of tube head to get for a while now and that review put my a few steps closer to a rectifier. Thanks.

I definitely second the notion of getting a Mesa Rectifier. You know, you don't necessarily have to go with one of the more expensive models to still get that same great versatility and tone. The Single Rectifier sounds pretty much exactly the same as it's two older brothers (dual, triple) and at a much lower cost. You'll easily save $200 - 300+. The only sacrifices you will be making are a few extra novelty features that you won't necessarily need and a lower wattage. The watt issue is rather inane, any how. Any place you play at where you're going to need to be any louder than what the Single Recto is capable of, the venue will be micing your amp anyways.

I've owned mine for three years, played many live shows, toured, recorded, ect and I have absolutely no complaints.

By the way, you might want to consider going for the Single Rect-O-Verb. The standard Single Rectifier doesn't have built in reverb. I don't think there's much of a difference in price... especially when buying used...

prone07
04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I definitely second the notion of getting a Mesa Rectifier. You know, you don't necessarily have to go with one of the more expensive models to still get that same great versatility and tone. The Single Rectifier sounds pretty much exactly the same as it's two older brothers (dual, triple) and at a much lower cost. You'll easily save $200 - 300+. The only sacrifices you will be making are a few extra novelty features that you won't necessarily need and a lower wattage. The watt issue is rather inane, any how. Any place you play at where you're going to need to be any louder than what the Single Recto is capable of, the venue will be micing your amp anyways.

I've owned mine for three years, played many live shows, toured, recorded, ect and I have absolutely no complaints.

By the way, you might want to consider going for the Single Rect-O-Verb. The standard Single Rectifier doesn't have built in reverb. I don't think there's much of a difference in price... especially when buying used...
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you found my review helpful. And good call S.O.S.
The single rec. is an excellent amp. I actually almost bought one after playing through my friend's, but I always wanted the dual and had the cash at the time. The single rec. is basically that powerful, versitile Mesa sound in a less expensive, slightly more straightforward(but still kickass) package. The lower wattage won't be a problem, trust me. I only turn my dual up to 3 or 4 tops when practicing and about the same at shows depending on the venue. I used to play with my carvin or marshall at 6 or 7 to get that volume! Anyone looking for the Mesa sound should be more than satisfied with a single, dual, or triple rec!

Fullysick metal man
04-19-2005, 01:56 AM
great review man

Fenderjazzbass
04-19-2005, 03:33 AM
funny side story…I know someone who is sponsored by mesa and while talking with his representative from mesa he talked me out of buying one….he told me to go with a peavey triple x if I want to get that type of sound, because he said its cheaper and your not paying for the name….this was a person who worked for mesa. It was very funny.

lord of darkness
05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
^^ well that's interesting because I was asking myself if it was worth it to pay much more for a mesa, cause I've heard great things about the triple x of peavy, is there a big diference in the sound for the price? just wondering, cause now I'm more than likely going to buy a peavy instead of a mesa

LesPaulStandard04_88
05-14-2005, 12:36 AM
funny side story…I know someone who is sponsored by mesa and while talking with his representative from mesa he talked me out of buying one….he told me to go with a peavey triple x if I want to get that type of sound, because he said its cheaper and your not paying for the name….this was a person who worked for mesa. It was very funny.

thats kinda funny... because mesa DOESN'T sponsor people.. nice line of bull****

headshrinker
05-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Even if mesa don't sponser people what he said is correct. That hole Peavy XXX, Mesa Rectifier sound is not me but I have played both the amps. The Peavy is alot cheeper and to me it defiantly seemed able to produce the same range of souinds.

LesPaulStandard04_88
05-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Even if mesa don't sponser people what he said is correct. That hole Peavy XXX, Mesa Rectifier sound is not me but I have played both the amps. The Peavy is alot cheeper and to me it defiantly seemed able to produce the same range of souinds.

and i respect your opinion, but i personally like the Mesa better, again its just my opinion, i respect what other people like etc. BUT i dont like it when people lie to prove a point or something like that.

guitar_face
06-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Great review, as for the Single vs Dual, I say go for Dual, for; option of 100w OR 50w(my setting), 3 channels and 8 modes, bold spongy option, tubes/ss option, and a nicer effects loop. and the big ass footswitch is always nice :p .

Also, if you think about it, the Single isn't technically a Rectifier, the Dual Rectifier gets it's name from the use of 2 5U4 tubes (aka Rectifier tubes). The Triple has 3 of these, and the Single has none. But my arguement at this point is trivial and stupid, so just consider the first paragraph :lol: .

Thresher
06-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Price Check on the Mesa Dual Rec plz , Canadian if possible , USA if not

prone07
06-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Wow, you guys have actually talked about (or argued about) this review since I wrote it...uhhh, price on the dual rec is about 1,700 new(USA)...and almost the same used. As for the whole Peavey vs. Mesa thing- The Peavey XXX is a nice amp. I have used them for gigs before and sat and played them for hours at music stores. At first they kind of sound similar to a Mesa, but after awhile you realize that it's almost more like a modeled sound of what a Mesa should sound like. The Peavey is basically designed to be a cheaper solution to a rectifier(it even looks similar), but when you run out of tone options and colors on the XXX you'll realize the Mesa is an amp with endless depth and you can always tweak a slightly different sound out of it. There's a reason so many people (who can afford to play any amp they want) play Mesa. They sound great! They're the real deal. And by the way, any fans of the classic brit el-34 sound as opposed to the american 6l6 rectifier sound, check out the Mesa Stiletto. It rocks hard, but retains the classic rock sound and can take it to a new level that the old classics can't. If I play with it more, I could write a review on that also. See ya..

endless standby
06-24-2005, 04:00 AM
yeah I hear these Mesa's are the kind of amps you could make your own tone with if you put alot of time into it

uriasmetal.com
06-24-2005, 09:27 PM
so, how much can you find a single rec, dual rec, and triple rec for used, but still working ok... ex. works fine looks somewhere between **** and perfect??? low end, high end? i'd love to get a mesa, jw if i could afford it... :-\

prone07
07-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Sorry, I only check back on this review like once or twice a month...anyway, the lowest I've seen a dual for on ebay was about $850-$900...actually it might have been a triple rec. And on the high end (which is common) they are about $1200. I haven't really looked for single recs used, but they are probably a little cheaper.

faithinfire
11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
i sort of feel like mesa's are great amps, you cant go wrong with them, and they are timeless. i see a lot fo guitar players with mesa's

however

the fact that so many people play them is the only reason i havent bought one yet. im look for a more modern sound anyway.

has anyone played the Hughes & Kettner Triamp?

publicastration
12-04-2006, 06:36 PM
How would you compare the Single Rec to the dual?

That's what I'm looking at.

blkdth
12-10-2006, 07:26 PM
yea i have a peavey xxx, and im thinkin about selling it and getting a single or dual rect

im lookin for an amp that has a wide range in distortion.
the xxx, is pretty much only suited for heavy distortion, u can turn the gain down as much as u want and it will still be distorted as hell.
the triple x also has a very loose and messy sound dosent mesh to well with other instruments
for metal im sure its a great amp, but i dont play metal so yea...

i know the rect series can handle all kinds of metal very well, but can it also do softer overdriven stuff?
what range would u say it covers?

i will go and play one sometime, once i either get some money or sell my xxx

bitLion
02-09-2007, 07:54 PM
So, quick question to the Mesa people here. Have you noticed that the sound changes dramatically depending on how long the thing has been on? I actually got intot he habit of letting it warm up for an hour before band practice. Even then, I find that I keep having to make subtle adjustments through the evening to keep the tone consistent. Comments?

($900 used for a Dual Rec, btw)