PDA

View Full Version : Featured Artist #16: Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Ashtray Girl
03-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of those bands these days. Everyone knows their classic ‘Under The Bridge’, and many more could reel off a whole list of hits – ‘Give It Away’, ‘Californication’, ‘Scar Tissue’, ‘Can’t Stop’ – the list goes on.

Music fans the world over have an opinion on them, some love them, others despise them and many more fall somewhere in between. However, whatever your personal opinion may be it is undeniable that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of the biggest and most influential bands in the world today.

The band’s story is almost as famous as the music - the mania of their younger days, the infamous ‘socks on cocks’, the death of Hillel Slovak, the collapse of John Frusciante and the band’s resurrection with Californication, it’s a story so ridiculously adventurous and eventful that it is worth hearing almost by itself.

The original members of the Peppers – Anthony Kiedis, Michael Balzary, Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons – all attended Fairfax High School in Los Angeles. Anthony was an actor and a poet, Michael played the trumpet, Hillel was an aspiring guitarist and Jack played drums. Probably the most initially ambitious, Hillel convinced Michael to play the bass. The two of them then talked Anthony into setting his poems to music, and before long the trio were making music. After the recruitment of Jack Irons they began to play live, in strip clubs across the city, which is where their trademark and somewhat inventive usage of socks came about.

Interest in the group widened and they were signed on to EMI. However, due to another band that both Slovak and Irons were members of, Kiedis and Balzary (now known as Flea) were forced to make their self-titled (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=449) debut album with another guitarist and drummer and the result was an effort that didn’t really have the energy of the live band, nor the musicianship. Nonetheless, the Red Hot Chili Peppers were on their way.

Slovak and Irons soon came back to the band, and with producer George Clinton the band produced two more albums – Freaky Styley (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=699) and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=1717). The latter finally got close to showing just how good this band already were, and certainly contained a lot of promise for an even better future. Chart success was round the corner and everyone involved expected the band to have the world at their feet.

Tragically, we can never know what this potent combination of musicians might have achieved, as on June 25th 1988 Hillel Slovak died of a heroin overdose. Grief drove Irons away and Kiedis and Flea were left with their careers and lives in ruins. Nonetheless, they felt the band was too good to give up, and after a lot of effort and failed attempts the two remaining founding members stumbled upon a youngster named John Frusciante, and a rocker called Chad Smith. They both seemed like unlikely candidates to take this shattered band onto superstardom, but a very creative chemistry was set up between the four members, and the band got to work.

In 1989 they came out fighting with Mother’s Milk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=360), dedicated to the memory of Slovak but a fine piece of work in its own right. With the hit singles ‘Higher Ground’ and ‘Knock Me Down’, Red Hot Chili Peppers finally began to gain some of the recognition they’d been waiting for.

However, the best was yet to come. In 1991 they found a new, innovative producer in the form of Rick Rubin, and they holed themselves up in a Californian mansion to produce what is considered by many to be their finest work – Blood Sugar Sex Magik (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=1610). One of the first classic albums of the Nineties, this defined a generation with songs like ‘Give It Away’ and their hugely successful ballad ‘Under The Bridge’. The rest went down in rock history – John Frusciante quit the band due to the pressures of fame, they hired Dave Navarro of Jane’s Addiction to record One Hot Minute (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=484). This was less commercially successful, and many pronounced the band’s collective career over, although today more and more people are re-examining the album and seeing it in a more objective light.

The band’s fortunes took a dramatic turn yet again when the band managed to persuade Frusciante to make music with them one more time. Rejuvenated, the band spectacularly managed to produce Californication (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=356) – impressive by anyone’s standards and sent a clear message out to the world – the Peppers were back and they planned on staying.

Since then this band have had the Midas touch – they can sell out huge venues, shift ridiculous numbers of albums and have the fame to do whatever they want. They’ve released one more studio album since Californication – By The Way (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=234), a much more soulful and melodic record than all of their previous offerings, which seemed to indicate that this is a band still only getting started.

As they walk into the recording studio once again this week, who can imagine where they intend to go next?

With such a huge fanbase all over the world, the question that naturally arises is ‘what makes this band so good?’. Of course, there is no simple answer to that question, but the band really does have a lot of appeal to disparate people on many different levels.

They blended funk, rap and rock in a way that’s never been so commercially viable before or since. With legendary live shows and songs that sound like no one else this band is something quite unique. They’ve covered such huge ground over their careers it would seem almost impossible not to find a single Red Hot Chili Peppers song that appealed to you. There are the bittersweet, gorgeous ballads such as ‘Under The Bridge’, ‘I Could Have Lied’, ‘Scar Tissue’ and ‘Dosed’, the funk rock anthems such as ‘Suck My Kiss’, ‘Johnny, Kick A Hole In The Sky’, ‘Around The World and ‘Can’t Stop’ and the song writing master classes of ‘Californication’, ‘By The Way’ and ‘Venice Queen’.

Of course, they’re not for everyone. Some of the earlier fans can’t stand their latest work, others detest everything before Frusciante rejoined the band. Then there are those who have never liked the band, and probably never will.

For others, however, Red Hot Chili Peppers can represent something very special and significant in their lives. Most fans have stories about how the music connected with them, how they made an impact on their lives and how they introduced them to yet more music.

As a huge fan myself, it’s difficult to put into words quite what the band means to me. Without By The Way it would have taken me an awful lot longer to develop my tastes beyond Dido and Coldplay. Without ‘Dosed’ I don’t know how I would have got through one of the toughest periods of my early teenage years. Without the link to other people the music provided me with, I don’t know whether I’d have any of the amazing friends I have today.

To say that this band can change your life may seem a little excessive, but I’m sure I’m not the only one when I say that the various members of Red Hot Chili Peppers have more influence over my life up until this point than a lot of people that I know in my day-to-day life. The two times I have been to the concerts have been some of the most joyful times of my life.

The Records:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Freaky Styley
The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
Mother’s Milk
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
One Hot Minute
Californication
By The Way

What Hits?! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=305)
Greatest Hits and Videos (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=1248)

Live In Hyde Park

Out In LA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/hats_of_doom/RHCP.jpg

Dragon_Prince
03-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Very good band, but aren't they considered rock ;) and not other music

and nice uhh how you call it, essay or something :P

johan4291
03-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Their older material is better then anything since John's return.

IAJP
03-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Good work, brilliant FA

thickasabrick
03-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Great job! I love the Chili Peppers. I think Frusciante was/is the perfect guitarist for that band. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is an awesome album. Although I like all of them.

What does everyone think of their cover of Bob Dylans 'Subterrenean Homesick Blues' on The Uplift Mofo Party Plan? I was quite surpised myself. Both in good and bad ways.

Romanticide
03-19-2005, 02:49 AM
good job dude, yeah the chilis are just awesome

and they're just ridiculously awesome live.

blue3
03-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Great FA.. Red Hot Chili Peppers is a great band

Happymeal
03-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm not too big on them, but Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a really good album.

Great job Ashtray:)

YDload
03-19-2005, 10:17 PM
This is a great band that went from pure funk, to funk rock, to pure rock. A strange journey with some great music along the way. Flea is one of the most influential newer bassists and probably the most talented one you would see on MTV in recent years.

My favorite song of theirs is "Stone Cold Bush," especially the performance on SNL.

br3ad_man
03-20-2005, 01:30 AM
Cool. I'm not big on them either, but they have some really really good songs.

JPolak
03-21-2005, 06:16 AM
have heard good things from friends who saw them in dublin '04 (I think!) love blood sugar sex magic and californication. Early material best. Flea awesome. Ashtray girl is correct - there is something very 'very' good about this band. Maybe further musical development.

JPolak
03-21-2005, 06:18 AM
P.S. sir psycho, apache rose peacock, road trippin' r top songs. I am a bassist and play most californication/blood sugar tunes.

canadian psycho
03-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Slovak and Irons soon came back to the band, and with producer George Clinton the band produced two more albums – Freaky Styley and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

I believe that cliff martinez was the drummer on the freaky styley album. just thought I'd bring that to your attension. other than that, good job.

The Ashtray Girl
03-23-2005, 11:46 AM
I knew I'd get something wrong.

mikesamuels
03-23-2005, 11:54 AM
chilis r amazing live

death2zombies
03-24-2005, 08:01 AM
what genre are they egzactamont? :wave:

indiabands
03-24-2005, 09:57 AM
This is a promotional message.

The Unseen Guest
http://www.unseenguest.com

Debut Album "Out There" out in record stores all over Europe on April 11, 2005. "Out There" is the very first release by a new record label - TUITION RECORDS, a division of SCHOTT MUSIC & MEDIA, Germany.

Glitterati
03-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Great FA, my favorite non-classic rock band. Californication is one of the most amazing albums I own, and I might be getting BSSM tomorrow. Long live the Chilis:smoke:

justinjak13
03-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Chilis are by far my favorite band. Anthony is underrated as a singer, and a great song writer. John is one of the best guitarists around today, chad is a very good drummer, although he doesn't really "show off" his skills that much. Flea plays the perfect bassline for every song.

CombatWombat3
03-28-2005, 08:49 PM
The Chili Peppers are possibly my favorite band, and Chad Smith has been my biggest drumming influence. A great band with a wide range or musical ability and style

thommotitanium
03-28-2005, 08:59 PM
wow, that was really good, BSSM is really good, so is Californication, well, all of them are, amazing band. That was a really good FA

Mega-Man-Bassist
03-30-2005, 07:40 AM
i was at the californication concert in sacromento california 98'

it was awsome

I love the chilli peppers!!!

Nyabingy
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
mother's milk> blood sugar sex magic>californacation (spelt wrong i think)>freaky styley>by the way..thats all ive heard so far...and in order..although mother's milk and blood sugar sex magic are about tied up for the best

SuperGrover66
03-31-2005, 08:15 PM
i have only been a chilli peppers fan for a little while now but i think they are a great band, one of my favourites. there is just something about them, it's hard to explain. I have mostly been listening to them and The Beatles this year.

Unfortunately I only have their greatest hits but i plan on getting Live at Hyde Park and Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Any recommendations on what albums to get?

By the way, great summary of the band. I learnt from it.

Welsh Boyo
04-01-2005, 05:29 AM
I absouloutly love this band.
All their albums are great,I recommend BSSM,Mothers Milk and Californication

Jake_badass_bassist
04-01-2005, 06:00 AM
i have only been a chilli peppers fan for a little while now but i think they are a great band, one of my favourites. there is just something about them, it's hard to explain. I have mostly been listening to them and The Beatles this year.

Unfortunately I only have their greatest hits but i plan on getting Live at Hyde Park and Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Any recommendations on what albums to get?

By the way, great summary of the band. I learnt from it. Get californication thats a good album.

efdrummer89
04-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Higher Ground, good song..... killer bass solo

SuperGrover66
04-07-2005, 12:09 AM
i will get one of their albums soon but i am getting Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf first (hopefully).

But don't get me wrong, Chilli Peppers are kick ***.

Pretty_Noose
04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Oh yes.

RHCP is one of my favorite bands. Flea is an absolutely amazing bassist.

choop
04-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Hey everyone,
RHCP are awesome. :thumb:
I love flea and frusciante together. I got the impression that they are finished since they released a best of ...anyone know if this is true? :confused:

btw first post :D

ragingrob
04-16-2005, 04:24 AM
what can i say?the best band EVER!!!!

The Ashtray Girl
04-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey everyone,
RHCP are awesome. :thumb:
I love flea and frusciante together. I got the impression that they are finished since they released a best of ...anyone know if this is true? :confused:

btw first post :D

Of course not, don't be silly!

They're recording a new album as we speak.

p_floyd46
04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
theyre pretty good. great informative essay

Death(ette)
04-18-2005, 01:41 PM
gosh, the chili peppers r awesome :thumb: I saw them in Hyde park, last June on the Saturday. loved them but Chicks on Speed were ****ed but o well! :lol:

Death(ette)
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
also awesome essay btw! ;)

DUNKSnVANS
04-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Dont they refer themselves as Funk/Punk?

DUNKSnVANS
04-20-2005, 05:10 AM
ARGH i hav the same avatar is DEATHette....im not changin though

DFA1979!
04-20-2005, 07:10 PM
RHCP are so good Ive been listining to them since grade1 and i still love there music

SuperGrover66
04-20-2005, 11:00 PM
how old r u now, just out of interest

swedelead
04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Awesome job they are my favourite band, does anybody when we should expect a new album.

Misfits Fiend Club
04-21-2005, 08:46 PM
i'd like to start by saying I know nothing about anything, and I suck at things. I really love the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They're creative(socks on cocks), they're evocative(I don't know what that means, and their music isn't bull****(I take that back{"Californication"})

fishindisguise
04-22-2005, 12:29 AM
the chillis are AWESOME! they rock totally.
only got one album though but they do ROCK

GlBSON
05-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Chili Peppers make me think of other great bands like G love/Jack Johnson (not as good tho) and sublime...
Great bio ashtray... I didn't know flea's real last name was soo funny. ballszzzbakky

GlBSON
05-09-2005, 07:36 AM
errr Balzary.... sorriee Flea.... how about that 3 minute bass solo on L@HP Disc 2 Tr 2
(My opinion is subjective and my own)

MaxLeighton
05-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Slovak and Irons soon came back to the band, and with producer George Clinton the band produced two more albums – Freaky Styley (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=699) and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=1717). The latter finally got close to showing just how good this band already were, and certainly contained a lot of promise for an even better future. Chart success was round the corner and everyone involved expected the band to have the world at their feet.

George Clinton only produced Freaky Styley which Cliff Martinez played drums on. Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mother's Milk were both produced by Michael Bienhorn.

Helgothj
05-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Right now the only RHCP CD is One Hot Minute, but planning on getting a few more, I f*cking love the song aeroplane and im always jammin out too is whenever im cruisin around. I just loves those "your f*cking nuts kid" look I get from other people. good song, good band

blue3
05-25-2005, 01:46 AM
I finally got the Californication CD.. it's awesome.

Riziger
03-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Awesome band