PDA

View Full Version : Jazzcore

Leftover Jello
03-10-2005, 12:14 AM
This might be the wrong section, but does anyone listen to jazzcore? I've been very intrigued by the jazzcore that I have heard, unfortunately that is very little, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some interesting jazzcore bands.

pedro durruti
03-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Jazz + hardcore?

spastic
03-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Yeah, some examples of jazzcore bands would be great.

punkjazz
03-10-2005, 12:52 AM
please, enlighten us

manual_Combat
03-10-2005, 01:31 AM
with sugar on top...

Det_Nosnip
03-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Candiria is the only one that comes to mind...although the Dillinger Escape Plan comes close at times, and Refused played with it a TAD on their monumental "Shape of Punk to Come" album. I'm not really much of a hardcore guy, though...the vocals ruin it for me. Jazz HAS been mixed with prog/death metal....sort of, with bands like Cynic and Atheist (or anything Sean Malone related).

DeathHawk
03-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Plot to blow Up the Eiffel Tower

the2stranger
03-10-2005, 11:25 AM
This might be the wrong section, but does anyone listen to jazzcore? I've been very intrigued by the jazzcore that I have heard, unfortunately that is very little, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some interesting jazzcore bands.

I don't think you're in the right forum, check the R&M forum for this

Det_Nosnip gave a good list tho

Leftover Jello
03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't really know much about jazzcore. I've only really seen/heard one good jazzcore band, which was upsilon acrux. I bought their cd and it is one of the most remarkable things I have listened to. It happened that plot to blow up the eiffel tower was at the same concert, but they weren't as much a jazzcore band as a hardcore band whose singer randomly took solos on his sax.

I checked out candiria and dillinger escape plan, but that's not really what I'm asking about. One band that I have heard in association with jazzcore a lot is Magma, but I know nothing about them. If anyone knows anything else thanks.

Silvermedalmafia
03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Maybe Refused, maybe Alex Scolnic (sp?) trio. I haven't heard alex scolnic's new stuff but I have heard that it is like that.

Omega Red
03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
the only thing i can think of that would be remotly close would be some of Miles Davis' stuff in the late 70's w/ John Mcglaflan(sp?) and some Mahavishnu Orchestra

that Magma band sound pretty bitchin.

you also might want to check some of Bill Bruford's solo albums

FillInTheBlankHere___
03-10-2005, 08:05 PM
^^^
That has nothing to do with hardcore.

I wholeheartedly recommend you check out Ephel Duath. Fantastic band.

Omega Red
03-11-2005, 02:36 PM
just because it has 'jazz instruments' dosent make it jazz....

xhaereticusx
03-11-2005, 03:08 PM
^^^

indeed

ColdFire
03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't really know much about jazzcore. I've only really seen/heard one good jazzcore band, which was upsilon acrux. I bought their cd and it is one of the most remarkable things I have listened to. It happened that plot to blow up the eiffel tower was at the same concert, but they weren't as much a jazzcore band as a hardcore band whose singer randomly took solos on his sax.

I checked out candiria and dillinger escape plan, but that's not really what I'm asking about. One band that I have heard in association with jazzcore a lot is Magma, but I know nothing about them. If anyone knows anything else thanks.Could you send me some Upsilon Acrux over AIM or tell me where I could DL some to take a listen?

Zappa
03-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Naked City is the only band I've come across that can live up to the "jazz" part of this classification. I haven't looked very hard, though.

defkennedys
03-12-2005, 06:45 AM
http://www.goldenbrownrecordings.com/offminor/images/cadaveric.mp3

try this, off minor are a great band

Leftover Jello
03-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Off Minor are really cool.

Here is a link to an Upsilon Acrux song

http://www.epicenesoundsystems.com/mp3s/upsilon-acrux_court-zolex.mp3

Pesky
03-12-2005, 12:18 PM
OK, I listened the Upsilon Acrux and the Off Minor songs, and I am not hearing the jazz.

I did not find those grooves to be groovy, first of all. Second, there is no soloist or lead instrument. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but jazz does feature soloists: part of the point is to hear the soloist interpreting the changes of the tune and improvising. If you listen to Miles Davis, you could imagine him improvising a solo over those changes, then it would be more like jazz - but you would need a better bass player.

In the Upsilon Acrux, I heard changes, but it sounded honestly more like they had found about 2 notes that worked over each change and were sticking to those 2 notes. Jazz players construct melodies out of scales and intervals over a complex harmony, not a dissonant but simple harmony. It sounds more like what me and the guys called experimental music, and not honestly that great either.

The Off Minor just sounds like hardcore to me, I don't hear what is jazzy about it whatsoever. I mean, I have a pretty **** loose definition of jazz compared to some people, and I still am not hearing it. I think that hardcore and jazz might actually be antithetical, considering that hardcore is anti-solo and jazz is defined by the soloists.

FillInTheBlankHere___
03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
just because it has 'jazz instruments' dosent make it jazz....

I assure you, neither Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, or Bill Bruford have ever been involved in any hardcore. Jazz/rock fusion, yes, but hardcore, no.

And it's spelt John McLaughlin. :lol:

Joel_DK_Clash
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Nomeansno? Thats all that comes to mind when I hear "Jazzcore"

btw...Anyone have The version of Bitches Brew recorded by Nomeansno they could send me?

cicatriz
03-15-2005, 01:54 PM
does 'blues-core' exist? that would be quite interesting.

Lydisk
03-15-2005, 02:31 PM

John Spencer Blues Explosion?

justinw
03-15-2005, 04:28 PM

Yes, they certainly are.

Zappa
03-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Nomeansno? Thats all that comes to mind when I hear "Jazzcore"

btw...Anyone have The version of Bitches Brew recorded by Nomeansno they could send me?

I have it. My AIM name is Alex27782, and I use that same username for soulseek.

Stabb
03-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Check out Nation Of Ulysses. They aren't jazzcore in terms of hardcore and jazz but they are postpunk and jazz. They were around from 1990 to about 1994. Most of their recordings don't sound too jazzy, though they do a bit because the singer plays the trumpet in various parts with a definite bluesy feel, as do many of the instrumental sections (they were described as a band which every member plays a different song at once to combine into one song). Some songs that sound jazz/blues like are "N.O.U. Future Vision Hypothesis" , "Depression III" , "The Sound of Jazz to come", and other songs off of the album "Plays Pretty for Baby" and "The Embassy Tapes."

NOU also has a very interesting story to say in their short history. Anyone that needs info on them can im me at "presLdentO fvLce"

thetwaz
03-25-2005, 04:30 AM
Off Minor are really cool.

Here is a link to an Upsilon Acrux song

http://www.epicenesoundsystems.com/mp3s/upsilon-acrux_court-zolex.mp3

It could sound better if the recording was a bit tighter. I imagine there would be more of a 'groove factor' playing live.

Even for jazz influenced music, it sounds a bit random. It may have sounded better if they'd jammed on some of those grooves for a bit longer and had more build ups and stuff.

Sounds like they're trying way too hard to be an experimental band. I think give them a bit longer to develop and they could really be a hot prospect. I hear a lot of interesting ideas without the good execution.

thetwaz
03-25-2005, 04:44 AM

More groove than the Upsilon Crux track.

I can see the Fusion style in the verse, the vocals are spoiling it a bit for me though. Might sound cool with a sax solo in that build up after the first verse.

Sounds a bit less random, they haven't tried to cram 101 ideas into 3 minutes. I'm not sure if you'd quite classify this as jazzcore, or simply hardcore with a jazzy inlfuence, it sounds quite cool though. Maybe some more melodic vocals might sound nicer.

Does anyone know of any 'jazzcore' or hardcore bands that have managed to get the jazz influence into the breakdown as opposed to the twinkly versy bits? I'd be interested to hear that.

gaslight
03-25-2005, 04:50 AM
I don't think I've ever heard a jazzcore band, but I'd like to. As long as it wasn't just hardcore with a trumpet or something gimmicky like that.

nrcafootball68
03-26-2005, 07:26 PM

it does now :lol:

xyoursmilex
10-28-2005, 09:20 PM
yeah i would like some real jazzcore recommendations. ive listened to most of these bands and them using odd-meter time sigs and off beat tempos but none of actually sound jazz. they lack the scales,mode changes, and lead parts. ive found certain songs that cud be stretches of jazzcore.nomeansno was pretty jazzy though, but i thought they lacked the hardcore side, otherwise a good jazz fusion band.here r my examples of jazzcore songs.

The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Texas Dolly, Clarissa Explains Cuntainment

(this ones a stretch, listen to the guitar its very diminish scale/jazz influenced) Fear Before The March Of Flames - Should Have Stayed In The Shallows.

and you might hate me for this but, the blood brothers are your best choice. they have an array of songs built on classic jazz/pop/hardcore beats.

Krabsworth
10-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I cry to hear of my beloved jazz ruined with metal.

SunnyDayRealEstateAM
10-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Into The Moat, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Between The Buried And Me, and The Dillinger Escape Plan.

joas
10-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I listened to the recordings posted in this thread, and have to say it's utter garbage. This doesn't belong in this forum.

halfdeadhippo
10-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Just as the metalheads will whine about their beloved metal being ruined with jazz. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Nobody likes an elitist.

jam9383
10-29-2005, 01:14 PM
its hard to see the jazz influence in any of those bands other than the drummer using a cymbal more than a snare

wefles
11-05-2005, 04:06 AM
^^^

what would be the best Ephel Duath song for me to download?

And does anyone know where i can download some upsilion acrux, the link that was already posted wont work.

Anxious
11-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Mike Watt played some awesome bands on his show a while back, now if I could just remember their names...

Shadows Rise
11-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Can anyone tell me what scales bands like Into the Moat and Sleep Terror use in those weird jazz breaks that they do in their songs? Thanks.

The jazz metal flum
11-05-2005, 02:15 PM
^^^

I totally agree with you on that one. They're Italian and really great guys, I met them after I saw them play with the dillenger escape plan!

left
11-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Naked City live with Mike Patton on vocals. Simply amazing, and yes, jazzcore. I only have a few bootlegs, of some shows between 1991 and 1992, and they sound very good.

ps - i wouldnt call Dillinger Escape Plan jazzcore. I think that would be too streched.

KuroTheBassist
11-06-2005, 06:27 AM

And does anyone know where i can download some upsilion acrux, the link that was already posted wont work.

Just don't download anything from Ephel's first album, its awful. Recommended: The Passage, Praha, Ironical Communion, The Other's Touch.

On another note, Farmakon = funkcore?

DFelon204409
11-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Considering these two genre have very little in common on a surface level most people don't believe it can exist normally. I personally hate the term "jazzcore" but then again I also hate the term "freebop." It's just a reality of retarded people's nomenclature that gets adopted into a scene.

Off Minor may not have much jazz in their immediate sound but a lot of their aesthetic is inspired by jazz. The use of whole tone and diminished scales as well as the rhythmic idiosyncracies on a lot of their songs are jazz inspired. The same goes for Refused and I guess Dillinger Escape Plan. However those bands are rooted in screamo, hardcore, and math metal, respectively, so people disregard any jazz elements the music has because it isn't apparent on a superficial level.

Today in my Jazz Improvisation and Theory class, we did a workshop with the Mike Musillami Trio, who's genre is best described as "free bop." A lot of their songs are built on unique melodic fragments. As he taught the melodies in his song to the class I started thinking about a particular breakdown I had heard in the song "43% Burnt" by Dillinger Escape Plan. The augmented chords and tritones used on that song were easily transposed for use on the Musillami song (which I think was called "Swedish Fish." Is it just coincidence that a math metal band and a jazz band can come from the same theoretical backbone but execute their riffs in totally different genres? No. It's because both are founded in a sort of intellectualized approach to jazz theory that manifests in two strikingly different genres. Just because none of you hear it doesn't mean it isn't there.

rhcp pman
11-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Now now, both jazz and metal are pillars of musical achievement (forget nu-metal though). Both incredibly skilled genres.

KuroTheBassist
11-21-2005, 05:07 AM

Designer Babies are everything-core.

br3ad_man
11-21-2005, 05:43 AM

'The Passge'

BassCozzy
11-21-2005, 08:22 AM
'The Passge'

I saw Ephel Duath supporting dillinger escape plan both kicked *** but i was more sober during ED and they ruled,i suggest the unpoetic circle to download the trumpet on the passage takes some getting used to.

bbbbass
11-21-2005, 09:09 AM
...I had heard in the song "43% Burnt" by Dillinger Escape Plan. The augmented chords and tritones used on that song were easily transposed for use on the Musillami song (which I think was called "Swedish Fish." Is it just coincidence that a math metal band and a jazz band can come from the same theoretical backbone but execute their riffs in totally different genres? No. It's because both are founded in a sort of intellectualized approach to jazz theory that manifests in two strikingly different genres. Just because none of you hear it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Exactly!! :)

br3ad_man
11-21-2005, 03:35 PM
I saw Ephel Duath supporting dillinger escape plan both kicked *** but i was more sober during ED and they ruled,i suggest the unpoetic circle to download the trumpet on the passage takes some getting used to.

But the trumpet on that song is also really really cool. I would really really love to see Ephel Duath live. I can think of very few things that would kick more arse.

sub-bass
11-27-2005, 12:23 AM
would later black flag stuff like the intrumental album be considered jazzcore?

KuroTheBassist
11-27-2005, 07:37 AM
ED's new album is gobsmacking.

Anxious
11-27-2005, 07:51 AM
would later black flag stuff like the intrumental album be considered jazzcore?
Hmm, good point. The Process of Weeding Out is very Jazzy....

Libertine`88
11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
ED's new album is gobsmacking.

Agreed. It's probs there best.

RUSSO_LOVES_YOU
03-03-2008, 08:15 AM
check out a band named pemdas on myspace from mount lake terrace,washington

it is the only actual jazzcore band ive ever heard

SugarCoatedSour
03-03-2008, 10:55 AM
To go along with Magma I'd say Henry Cow is a great mix of jazz improvisation in a well anchored prog rock setting. There are some other jazz inspired prog rock like philharmonie, and Yang (both of which are pretty hard to find) that have a very musical adept and accomplished style.

Gordian Knot's first album is also worth checking out for those who cream over guitar.

Martyr's Warpzone is fairly jazzy in it's melodic/dissonant approach and reminds me a lot of jazz fusion at it's best.

Universe Zero is a chamber/rock/jazz/classical band they also have an interesting style of developing songs and worth checking out.

FreeSmells
03-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Jazzcore sounds intriguing.

FIGHTCRIMEALLTHETIME
03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Now now, both jazz and metal are pillars of musical achievement (forget nu-metal though). Both incredibly skilled genres.

ya sure but the difference is jazz sounds good

Akira
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM

What is "jazz" about that?

Neoteric
03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
"Off Minor may not have much jazz in their immediate sound but a lot of their aesthetic is inspired by jazz. The use of whole tone and diminished scales as well as the rhythmic idiosyncracies on a lot of their songs are jazz inspired. The same goes for Refused and I guess Dillinger Escape Plan. However those bands are rooted in screamo, hardcore, and math metal, respectively, so people disregard any jazz elements the music has because it isn't apparent on a superficial level"

Akira
03-04-2008, 01:15 PM
That's really, really stretching it.

(*The Noonward Race*)
03-04-2008, 02:49 PM
mhmm

(*The Noonward Race*)
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
calling music jazz jus because "OOOO its soooo complex" is not something to do

jazz doesnt mean complex although compared to most non art music it is

complex is in fact epitomized if by anything, contemporary classical

Akira
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
And the whole tone scale is seen a lot more in Impressionism and other contemporary classical styles than in jazz.

Ando!
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
see if I went into r&m and made a thread about metal-ly jazz bands people would get mad

Yield
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
The Dillinger Escape Plan =/= Jazz

From my understanding, the only thing that is "jazzy" about the genre are weird time signatures. This does not constitute jazz.

Ando!
03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
yea most jazz is actually in 4

SugarCoatedSour
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
ye..

jowlis
05-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Lye By Mistake - sounds very jazzy to me. I dare calling this band jazzcore...

dinosaurxbrocore
05-18-2008, 06:07 PM
my favorite jazzcore band is norma jean

they are popular for such songs as this calling, 94 hours, and when the sun sleeps

modern day thrashers seem to be into their jazzy breakdowns

joas
05-18-2008, 06:08 PM
haha as if scales define jazz

oh man there's syncopation, it must be jazzy!

AllBoutTheBenjamins
05-18-2008, 07:29 PM
my favorite jazzcore band is norma jean

they are popular for such songs as this calling, 94 hours, and when the sun sleeps

modern day thrashers seem to be into their jazzy breakdowns

lmao

Jody LeCompte
05-18-2008, 07:53 PM
It doesn't really matter if it's Christian or not 'cuz if it's syncopated rhythm then your soul is gonna rot.

Ando!
05-18-2008, 08:14 PM
When you shake your hip
and it starts to slip
And you shake your soul
and it starts to roll
they call that

fantastic rhythm!

musikmusik
06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Louis Armstrong - "If you have to ask what Jazz is, you will never know."

And thats coming from the MAN. Although he didn't consider bebop to be Jazz...

There ya go. Now lets not fight about what Jazz is or isn't. It could be anything!

Jazz is more or less defined by freedom. The American way! Jazz is an escape, a way to get rid of suffering, and a way to express your soul... That is why improv is associated with it. However, there is no certain sound, time signature, style, or instrument that can be identified with Jazz.

Eliminator
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
louis was too embarrassed to admit that he didnt know what jazz is

Xplisit
06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
louis was too embarrassed to admit that he didnt know what jazz is

I chuckled here.

L0SerKiD11
06-16-2008, 10:17 PM
im wondering if you mean something like mr. bungle per chance?

combustion07
06-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Can anyone tell me what scales bands like Into the Moat and Sleep Terror use in those weird jazz breaks that they do in their songs? Thanks.

For Sleep Terror I think they switch to bass.

moltenlava
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Please don't tell me that there's actually a sub-genre called Jazzcore. Name a couple of artists, please.

moltenlava
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I see that there were a number of bands already mentioned. I'll have to explore some. Especially something with the name of "Shape Of Punk To Come" A play off of the famous Ornette Coleman album.

There have been some really sucessful melding of Jazz concepts with Metal. Three of the most important, in my eyes/ears, are the 'Spiral Architect' album, first and foremost. Picture 'Mahavishnu Orchestra' if it had Jaco Pastorius as Bassist and decided to conjure up Extreme Technical Metal one day. What an unbelievable record that one is. I don't think the musicianship on that album has been touched since. Absolutely love the first 'Aghora' recording and the one and only 'Cynic'. These two are different incarnations of the same, unbelievably talented rhythm section - Sean Malone and Sean Reinert. Two untouchable, monster players. These three recordings are a must for anyone interested in this Jazz/Metal Fusion. Then, ya got pretty much every from Death and Atheist, which was, at least to some degree, influenced by Jazz. But, the first three I mentioned are a really nice balance between both musical philosophies. Now I need to explore some of the names mentioned here.

okay
07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
The Shape of Punk To Come by Refused isnt really that jazzy, ive never heard something that was called 'jazzcore' but im just going to go ahead and assume the threadstarter is talking about the super technical style of hardcore found on albums like Calculated Infinity by the Dillinger Escape Plan and on albums by some of the more technical death metal bands a la Cynic and Death (mostly from Sound of Perseverance)

DFelon204409
07-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Everybody knows that jazzcore is an idea and not a fully realized genre.

Rams
07-14-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.zshare.net/audio/152772774e2206c5/

This is all I can think of when I hear "Jazzcore"

I forgot about Jah Wobble and Mick Karn. They could fit too.

(*The Noonward Race*)
07-14-2008, 12:19 AM
all i can think of is greasy unkempt hair perched on pasty white skin bearing eyes that have not seen butterflies outside or people for years

moltenlava
07-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Alright, I got a band that considers themselves Jazzcore. And they are fluckin amazing. I knew of these guys for a while now, but the term J-core never came to mind. You will hear everything when listening to these guys. They're like a modern day Faith No More. Really brilliant, super inventive stuff. Band's name is 'Bubblemath'. And, like everything else that's a complex musical formula, you definitely won't 'get into' these guys on the first spin. But, listen to the album a few times and you're in love. Second group here is awesome as well. Though, I doubt anyone will be calling them Jazzcore. Has involvement from one of the guys from Tool. Enjoy.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6181709
Bubblemath
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=13024562
Feersum Ennjin

DFelon204409
07-24-2008, 09:57 PM
No to both, HARD.

beans
07-27-2008, 03:43 AM
small town murder

moltenlava
08-02-2008, 06:16 PM
No to both, HARD.

Really?...That's no good for you. Means your taste buds are delinquent.

moltenlava
08-03-2008, 05:11 PM
The Shape of Punk To Come by Refused isnt really that jazzy)

Based on hearing about this title here, I went and got it. Now, I pretty much despise Punk music...but this recording is way brilliant. I think they might have begun a new genre of music with this album. Too bad other Punk bands don't take their cue and stop with the awful, three chord Pop. I think every self-respecting Rock fan should own this disc....And, yeah there was jazzy bits in there. But, then again, they pretty much threw everything into the mix. A least Punk has this one single album to be proud of.

Txus
08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Holy ****, dude. Kill yourself already please.

Thander
01-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Listen great jazzcore band Kusudama!! New EP "JazzTV"
http://www.myspace.com/kusudama

AlonzoDaCookie
06-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Look up the flaming tsunamis. Its actually more skacore though.

SugarCoatedSour
07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Hit up Ahleuchatistas - Of The Body Prone
I guess Nomeansno dips into some jazz(ore in some of the better songs.
Also The Flying Luttenbachers are jazzcore with album Destroy All Music

And you can check out Yoshihiro Otomo's many good albums with the group Altered States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwj-5byjn4w&feature=related

Txus
07-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Destroy All Music is an awesome album.

witchxrapist
07-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Plot to blow Up the Eiffel Tower

i am in love with this band srsly

BlueW
07-11-2010, 04:04 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7D0GZKxM88I/S3G3ATAsHpI/AAAAAAAAAYM/wIrbgr620SY/s400/artwork.jpg
download at http://www.archive.org/details/EXT003