PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Good Threads In R&M

Riva
03-01-2005, 07:21 PM
DIY: Good Threads In R&M

Ok, there have been an influx of stupid threads in R&M. A lot of these new posters seem to think that one thread can gain them instant popularity/fame on these forums. This is true and false. Certain users in the past have gained notoriety for extremely stupid threads, but they were flamed into oblivion during this time as well. An equal number just donít think before hitting the new thread button. Although the majority of the people Iím trying to reach wonít read this, if you are a new user, and want to settle down into the best forum on MX, then read on.

So, you have just completed your requisite 24 hours and are itching to post a new thread. Here is a checklist to go through first:

1. Have I checked to see if this thread breaks one of the rules (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224003)?
This one is pretty self-explanatory. These rules are common sense, but if you want to double-check, feel free to do so.

2. Have I seen a similar thread on this recently? Hopefully, you have hung around enough to know what the gist of the first two pages of threads are.

EDIT:Also, now the search function works again, there is no excuse not to use it. It is fairly simple to use, and is a powerful tool if you want to check information, or check whether your thread has been done before. Remember, doubling up on threads encourages the mods and the regulars to flame your arse to hell.
This also applies to official threads (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5023976&postcount=3).

Using The Search Function
The search function is a powerful tool, when used correctly. Look at the top tool bar of this page. You should see a button called search. Click on it to lower a drop-down menu, which has two options. The first is a textbox called Search. This is a basic search of a keyword (which must be a string of more than 4 letters) across all the forums in MX.

The next option is for an advanced search. Clicking this takes you to the search page, which allows you to do some advanced searching. Here, you can search for threads, ranking by date/number of posts etc, you can search for usernames, or you can do the same old keyword search.

You can also select the individual forums you wish to search. Each of these textboxes work with each other, so by typing in Threads in the keyword search, HeavyRiva in the username search, and R&M in the individual forum search, you should get a few results including this thread.

You know it makes sense.

UPDATE: 24/8/05
I've noticed a lot of people have difficulty finding things using the search function. Basically, the search function will not find words of 5 characters or less. So, when searching for System of a Down, you may easily be overwhelmed by the results with System in them. So, why not search for "System Mesmerise" etc. Same applies for searching for the Who. Instead of "The Who", which will return 0 results, go for "Townshend Windmill" in R&M, or "Daltrey Entwistle".

In summary, there is no excuse for not finding the right thread, with a little patience. Just broaden or specify your search, depending on whether you get too many or too few hits back.

3. So, now you are ready to start your thread. Click on the new thread button, and you are faced with the daunting Create Thread screen. All your tools and tags are at the top, you have the text box in the middle and other functions below. Here is the tough part. You have to make sure your thread is as concise as possible, yet it also has to be informative and interesting. Too many people just write one line, ďZak wyld is awesome wut do u fink lolzĒ. This kind of thread irritates everyone to no end.

Always use proper English, or as close to it as you want. Unless you donít want people to take it seriously, donít express your opinion using |337 5|D34|<

Try to aim for at least a paragraph (3-4 lines). Introduce your thread. State your opinion. Offer some evidence. Conclude. Easy, no?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Example: Many black metal bands use poor quality recording, or deliberately distort the sound, to make a more ďgrimĒ song. I think they sound a lot better when they use proper recording techniques in a real studio. For example, compare Emperorís Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk with Melechesh Ė Djinn. Any thoughts on this, or samples of other good quality black metal songs?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

See? Simple and effective.

4. Reply only when you need to. Donít bump your post, donít spam up your thread. If you donít see anyone posting, just leave it overnight. Often peak times occur when you arenít at the computer. If you have something to add, a bump is sometimes acceptable, but it better be a well-written thread. If no one posts in your thread after a days, chances are it wasnít interesting, well-written, cosmically aligned enough. :p

If recommending songs, try to make some samples available for download. Either from the bands official site/fan sites, from yousendit.com or offer to transfer it using gmail, soulseek or limewire, etc.

At least make sure that you correctly describe the songs and their titles. If you really want to talk about this band, youíll put the effort in to show off their stuff.

There you have it. Follow these 4 steps, and you should have a successful thread in no time. Good luck, and enjoy these forums.

Jom
03-01-2005, 07:22 PM
:applause for the Yogi:

SonorKen
03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Excellent post, very well stated!

Permanent Solution
03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Too much reading, but I make good threads as it is...
>_> <_<

Iron Man
03-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Good work, I have been seeing alot of dumb threads around lately.

Distant Echoes
03-01-2005, 07:28 PM
This shouldve been posted several months ago. Good stuff, but too much reading. Anybody it should affect probably wont read it though, considering they just click buttons and spam away :( oh well. rep +

Pretty much the only threads that bother me are the ***OFFICIAL*** ones and the ones that are like "have you ever heard of em". I know its good to keep an organized conversation for all fans of the bands, and why people might want to know if others know of a certain band...but i dont know. THeres just too many of em.

I rarely make threads though, on a count nobody really notices me here anyway

Kage
03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
I have noticed a great surge of threads that are being closed or just crappy threads lately. Nice job :thumb:

Apocalyptic Raids
03-01-2005, 07:34 PM
maybe this should be stickied?

Iron Man
03-01-2005, 07:37 PM
maybe this should be stickied?

It might be helpful, but there's too may stickies as it is...

Kage
03-01-2005, 07:38 PM
While we're on the subject of stickies, we need a new Featured artist!

Riva
03-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Johnny's posting a new artist soon, and I think it is funny that every post in this thread has been by a regular, yet the threads target audience are yet to be seen. :)

Joe
03-01-2005, 07:54 PM
finally. will this be stickied?! and the real thing is, now will people actually read this?

PIGS(1 different one)
03-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I sometimes make weak threads. :(

Iron Man
finally. will this be stickied?! and the real thing is, now will people actually read this?

Nubbies don't like to read things longer than 5 lines. Duh :p

I think being new is synonymous with having some sort of built in ADD

Kage

Well, considering Riva's comment ( :lol: ) that's questionable.

lunch998
03-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Lucky for me I never have to make threads and deal with all this pressure.

I just get all my posts in the Community/CR thread. (A.k.a the post count++ quickly threads).

SonorKen
03-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I went ahead and stickied this for a few days. I just made a thread in the mod forum for the R&M mods to crack down on people. We have a ton of crap threads and people spamming up threads. Well all work together and make it look killer again in a week or so!

Riva
03-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Cool. Thanks SFK.

rising_fury
03-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Here (http://www.trials-shack.co.uk/posting.html) is also a good place for newbies to learn about posting.

thickasabrick
03-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Oh at first I thought it said "Good Deeds In R&M." I got all excited because I thought we were having a contest to see who could perform the most good deeds.

I'm just as happy with this thread, we need to lay down some extra guidlines and hopefully new members (or old ones) read this.

DeusExMachina
03-01-2005, 10:58 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HeavyRiva again.

**** rep rules... Well done!

Freezing Moon
03-01-2005, 11:17 PM
This is good. Hopefully it gets read, and used. Rep +.

Paranoidd
03-01-2005, 11:33 PM
I think I speak for all the regulars who want to see this place get productive and informative again when I say good job.

br3ad_man
03-02-2005, 01:13 AM
I sometimes make weak threads. :(

Me too :upset:

I don't think many metalheads liked my black metal thread :(

opeth_oasis
03-02-2005, 03:32 AM
well done riva, rep++

Iai
03-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Riva for mod.

I'm serious.

RideTheSpiral
03-02-2005, 05:13 AM
I didn't even see this. I doubt the n00bs will.

Oh well it's the thought that counts.

Josh
03-02-2005, 05:49 AM
good job riva, but i dont think many n00bs will read it. at least i know when i can flame them now.

munky_magik
03-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Riva for mod.

I'm serious.
Second'd

IAJP
03-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Well done.
And on the subject of Featured Artists, I think it's pretty much in the bag, Johnny is doing one, he won't reveal who it is, (Allthough I have a pretty big idea who it is anyway:p) and I think I might be doing one after him.
:thumb:

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Good job Riva as always! :)

Shred Danson
03-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Beautiful guide, man. I would rep you, but this account is worth nothing. There are too many kids who make threads saying "I think ___ is very awesome and is the best band in the world!" but don't say anything else to back it up. Intelligent discussion and conversation skills should be the key to "success" in these Forums.

Stevie
03-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Very good. However, n00bs ready to say "omg slipknot is teh pwn" arn't ready to read that beforehand..."the eternal forum problem".

Rep -+-+-+-+-+-

Shred Danson
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
They can't read anyway, but it's still a very good guide.

RiceMonster
03-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Good job Riva, rep++.

Let's hope this cuts down on the stupid threads in R&M.

apocalypse13
03-02-2005, 01:42 PM
What is "Stickied?"
Isn't it where it stays at the top of the forum for a little while?

Shred Danson
03-02-2005, 01:44 PM
What is "Stickied?"
Isn't it where it stays at the top of the forum for a little while?

Good job, you're catching on.

Thor
03-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Well said. Hopefully there wont be as many stupid threads now.

Riva
03-03-2005, 12:56 AM
I suppose if I had called this thread "Maynard sux" more noobs would have read it... :)

Josh
03-03-2005, 01:29 AM
that could be very true........:lol:

Deth
03-03-2005, 08:56 AM
as the first n00b here, good job. I probably am the only n00b to read this. Sucks for them.

EDIT: second n00b

Shred Danson
03-03-2005, 09:01 AM
I suppose if I had called this thread "Maynard sux" more noobs would have read it... :)

:lol: They would've responded like "wut?1 R U ****ing nsain? Maynerd is da best sing er n da world, biatch! LOL, U probly listen to Whitesnake!"...

magicbus
03-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Hooray for Riva! I like the use of quotes. Very clever.

under a glass moon
03-05-2005, 05:58 PM
good work even though noobs might not read it beforehad(i am ashamed of my own noobiness)

it needs to be updated though, the search is back up

Riva
03-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Updated it with the section on the search function.

Six Foot Revolver
03-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Very good Riva :thumb:

savemyaxe
03-05-2005, 11:33 PM
not all noobs are stoopid you know. But i'll probably have some pretty stupid posts, so go ahead, continue making fun of us.

munky_magik
03-06-2005, 03:00 AM
not all noobs are stoopid you know. But i'll probably have some pretty stupid posts, so go ahead, continue making fun of us.
I think you missed the point somewhat. Riva is not making fun of you, simply trying to help educate users into becoming great posters.

Riva
03-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Updated to include a new (very brief) tutorial for the search function. If all the regulars subscribe to this thread, and post this in all those crappy threads, (you know the ones I mean) then this could actually register with noobs.

LarsAgi007
04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
I am reasonably new, it has helped me a lot, I really appreciated your time making this thread, Applause all round :D

i am the robots
04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Good thread about making good threads Jason.

pigonthewing82
04-11-2005, 03:10 PM
You know after seeing some of the threads made recently I think mabye this needs to be a little closer to page one then before.

Riva
04-11-2005, 04:31 PM
To be fair, R&M has been really great lately. Still, it's nice to see this thread near the top again. :)

pigonthewing82
04-11-2005, 04:37 PM
To be fair, R&M has been really great lately. Still, it's nice to see this thread near the top again. :)

True, I didn't mean to say that MX was bad off, sorry if I seemed like complaining, I just felt your instruction on the Search function would be very helpful to a lot of people making threads :)

Riva
04-17-2005, 05:29 AM
True, I didn't mean to say that MX was bad off, sorry if I seemed like complaining, I just felt your instruction on the Search function would be very helpful to a lot of people making threads :)

Hehe, pity nobody is willing to read the big blocks of text. :-/

Riva
04-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Also, even if the search was down for whatever reason, users can use most search engines (http://www.google.com) to search within the musician forums domain.

With google go into advanced search and type 'www.musicianforums.com' into the 'return results from this domain only' field and then just type your query in the regular way.

This isn't nearly as good as the in-built search feature here, but I found it useful when the search was disabled after the crash.

Hehe, I did that as well. Didn't know about the ability to add domain names though.

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
04-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Bumpage++++

Thought this should be bumped. :)

Riva
04-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Why thank you Schyma.

Hats Off To Roy Harper ;)

Kingofdudes
08-03-2005, 11:12 PM
time to bring this back from the pits of hell.

Riva
08-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Haha, thanks Aaron. /me brushes dust and hellspawn off of thread.

TWade
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Agreed. Im not saying im a really smart noob but not all are retards.
Although there are a lot of idiot noobs, but ive seen some dumb posts from people who have thousands of posts.

Kingofdudes
08-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Although there are a lot of idiot noobs, but ive seen some dumb posts from people who have thousands of posts.
Of course not all new user suck. It is just that right now there a lot of them that do suck, which is why I bumped this.

Riva
08-04-2005, 06:33 PM

This isn't to make fun of noobs. This isn't to applaud people with large postcounts. This is simply a tutorial to help with making threads.

Riva
08-23-2005, 10:09 PM
I've updated the first Quick Tip, regarding the search function.

Jom
08-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Good update, Jason. It's extremely lame and just a ridiculous excuse when people say "Oh, I used the search function but there are no results" or "I looked back a page and didn't see anything, so I made a thread." People just need to exercise a bit of patience and stop being so near-sighted in their searching visions.

King_Of_Terrors
01-01-2006, 10:26 AM
I must say, this is in dire need of a bump. Hopefully a few people will read this.

Gilmour
01-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I dont think this needed to be bumped. R&M looks fine to me :confused:

Mr. Black
01-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I dont think this needed to be bumped. R&M looks fine to me :confused:
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428903
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428972
Does it?

Lunch
01-01-2006, 10:42 AM
People always have and always will make threads like that, and those are the same people who aren't reading the rules and aren't going to read this thread. Those examples are minor inconveniences, and R&M isn't ever going to be completely free of them.

Gilmour
01-01-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428903
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428972
Does it?
A couple of bad threads a day? o noez!

Sph
01-01-2006, 10:44 AM
We could start off by perma-banning the complete idiots. That might help.

Mr. Black
01-01-2006, 10:46 AM
A couple of bad threads a day? o noez!
Believe me, there's way more than a couple a day.

MBS
01-01-2006, 10:49 AM
We could start off by perma-banning the complete idiots. That might help.

And what makes you think that they won't register a new account? There is no way to keep ANYONE off the board.

Sph
01-01-2006, 10:53 AM
And what makes you think that they won't register a new account? There is no way to keep ANYONE off the board.
There damn well needs to be. But I guess it can't be helped. Oh well.
*sigh*

Gilmour
01-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Believe me, there's way more than a couple a day.
You dont even know what a bad R&M looks like.

MBS
01-01-2006, 11:12 AM
There damn well needs to be. But I guess it can't be helped. Oh well.
*sigh*

IP bans won't work because all they have to do is go through a proxy and they can access the site.

TheDMV
01-01-2006, 12:12 PM
IP bans won't work because all they have to do is go through a proxy and they can access the site.

Either way, it's better to try and chance new users and make them better than it is to permanently restrict them from accessein the site.

Aaron_Of_Oz
01-01-2006, 05:31 PM
i guess you could call me a noob :rolleyes:

it really annoys me when there are threads of the band they start a thread about on the same page... makes me wanna:smash: their head in.