PDA

View Full Version : quick mixer question

jhook1423
02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
hey all, i have a q about my mixer. its a SoundTech QuickMix 6200, with 6 channels , a master eq, individual eqs, a reveerb volume, EFX Send, EFX Return, tape/EFX knob, a tape in switch, and 2 speaker outputs that are parallel and belong them it says: 4Q minimum load and 200 W @ 4Q. the Q is a little symbol that looks like a Q. anyhow i was wondering if i could use this as a mixer and run it into a computer audio program? im trying to set up a home studio that sounds really nice but i need to know if i should buy a new mixer or what. thanks.

Aes820
02-23-2005, 04:52 PM
You could run the EFX send jack into the Line In on a recording device (such as your computer). Just keep the volume level on the PA down low, and the recording level on your computers down low too. To avoid unwanted distortion.

It is very important that you also keep at least one speaker attached to the parrallel speaker outputs of the PA.

The Hawk
02-23-2005, 08:52 PM
You could run the EFX send jack into the Line In on a recording device (such as your computer). Just keep the volume level on the PA down low, and the recording level on your computers down low too. To avoid unwanted distortion.

It is very important that you also keep at least one speaker attached to the parrallel speaker outputs of the PA.

Oh, and whatever you do, do not plug a cable from the speaker outs into your computer. Unless you want to buy a new one, lol.

The little Q symbol is ohms. You have a 4 ohm minimum load. Which means don't parallel speakers together that will reduce the impedance below four ohms. EG. two 8 ohm speakers in parallel= 4 ohms. if you were to add another it would drop to 2 ohms. Not sure how your mixer is wired and what fail safes it has. But, you could theorically blow the amp if you go below 4 ohms. You are better off not paralleling two 8 ohm speakers as you start getting close to the min. impedance. If the two speakers were 7.8 ohms a piece the amp might start to clip. Hope that helped you understand the Q/ohm thing.

BluesKeys
02-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Does your mixer have any main out or control (cntrl) room out jacks? If so, you can connect them directly to your computer's sound card. You might consider getting an audio interface if your studio is mainly in the software domain, instead of hardware. Once you have the mixer connected to your computer, read through the manual of the audio program to figure out how to set it up for use in that program.

Dave

jhook1423
02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
i listed everything it has, thanks guys.