PDA

View Full Version : Blast Beats???

murderdoll666
02-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Iv heard alot of drummers talking about them but what exactly are they and can you give me some examples
thanx :thumb:

redsquareblack
02-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Iv heard alot of drummers talking about them but what exactly are they and can you give me some examples

This isn't an advanced thread.

But to get the gist of a blast beat, just take your basic Phil Rudd beat, (bass snare bass snare bass snare), and speed it up insanely.

LostInMusic464
02-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Basically any beat you hear in death/black metal.

TTTSNB
02-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Blast Beats
These are beats mainly centering on an 8th or 16th snare beat. At really fast tempos, many drummers "cheat" by playing the 8th note kick parts alternating, rlrl or lrlr. This is done either because their double kick chops aren't very good, or because they cannot get sufficient volume out of the kick drums for them to cut through the music.
Here are the two most common blasts:

H-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X—
S-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-
B-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-
This is known as the “Suffo Blast”, “American Blast”, or “Hammer Blast”
H-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-
S—-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
B-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
This is the alternating, or “European Blast”
You can also play this open handed or switch the sticking to lrlr
You can also have double bass 16ths in blasts, so:
H-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-
S-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
B-0000000000000000
Known as the “Cannibal Blast”
or
H-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-
S—-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
B-0000000000000000
Known as the “Bomb Blast

One of the craziest blasts around uses a one handed roll on the snare with 8ths or 16ths on kicks and 8ths on the hihat
so:
H-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-
S-0000000000000000
B-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
Known as the “Gravity Blast”
You can also play quarters on the hats, or switch to the ride cymbal, play accents on the ride bell, etc, etc. The possibilities are endless.

isp_of_doom
02-20-2005, 10:47 PM
well i think he just about covered it, lol. IMO their overused. still have their place in music though

darkavatar
02-21-2005, 12:06 AM
that was actually really helpful. +rep :)

TTTSNB
02-21-2005, 12:14 AM
that was actually really helpful. +rep :)
No problem man.

-Funky monk-
02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Yea i was going to ask the same question earlyer but i found another thread.

iliketoplaydrums10111
02-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Just check out Cryptopsy - Benedictine Convulsions

Or any Cryptopsy song, the drummer has insanely good blast beats

TTTSNB
02-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Yeah haha. I heard that he plays one at 340 bpm on Cold Hate, Warm Blood. Apperently though, he becomes very inconsistent live.

Tyrnox
02-23-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't know where you heard this, but Flo is a very very Good player, and I have seen 2 live cryptopsy shows and the both we're pretty tight. There we're some parts where it was a "little" off but nothing real bad. Pretty **** good for the insane speed they play at.

Meeko
02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
http://www.extremedrumming.com/

There's a video there talking about blast beats. The sound quality sucks, but I guess it's a decent video. Click on "Articles and Video" and then look to the right of the page.

Hope this helped a bit.

zxt titanium freak
03-02-2005, 12:25 PM
If you wanna see some crazy blast beats open up a p2p program and download a solo by Derek Roddy.

TTTSNB
03-06-2005, 08:25 PM
If you wanna see some crazy blast beats open up a p2p program and download a solo by Derek Roddy.
indeed.(would rep +, but no rep any longer)

poppinfresh
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
http://www.drummagazine.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=860&mode=thread&order=1&thold=-1

Flintfire3
03-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Yeah haha. I heard that he plays one at 340 bpm on Cold Hate, Warm Blood. Apperently though, he becomes very inconsistent live.

340 eh?...do you really realize how atmoicly impossible that is. Who ever you heard that from may have been talking about 16th notes or 8th notes instead of 1/4 notes. It's ok tho, alot of people don't truly understand the concept of bpm

TTTSNB
03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
340 eh?...do you really realize how atmoicly impossible that is. Who ever you heard that from may have been talking about 16th notes or 8th notes instead of 1/4 notes. It's ok tho, alot of people don't truly understand the concept of bpm
No, trust me, it’s 8th notes. I’ve heard the song. The concept of blast beats, as shown in my guide is primarily a constant 8th note snare beat is absolutely insane. And no it is not impossible. It takes a lot of work to play those speeds, but it is not impossible. Anything can be done, it just takes a lot of work.

firefoxzero
03-09-2005, 04:42 PM

Hi everybody, this is my first post :)
I can play 25000000 bpm believe it or not :thumb: it's really easy writing things on the internet :naughty:

Ahem, you'd assume the guy is talking about 16th notes so it would be 1360 bpm. Drumcanman's bpm record is something like 1440 and Hellhammer's working towards playing 1200 in clean singles (these are double bass speeds btw)

That's something to think about.

TTTSNB
03-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi everybody, this is my first post :)
I can play 25000000 bpm believe it or not :thumb: it's really easy writing things on the internet :naughty:

Ahem, you'd assume the guy is talking about 16th notes so it would be 1360 bpm. Drumcanman's bpm record is something like 1440 and Hellhammer's working towards playing 1200 in clean singles (these are double bass speeds btw)

That's something to think about.
Yeah. Personally, I think WFD is crap for the most part. I think speed is only good when it is played cleanly. Waterson usually plays pretty sloppily, also he plays heel toe, which is really easy to play fast if you practice it enough. Hellhammer is hitting those crazy speeds entirely with singles, which are much more difficult. Think about that.

kal77
03-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Once Derek Roddys website is back up have a search on "gravity blasts" in the forum. you'll find a big old thread and also some videos of people doing it.
I didnt believe either until I saw that.

firefoxzero
03-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah. Personally, I think WFD is crap for the most part. I think speed is only good when it is played cleanly. Waterson usually plays pretty sloppily, also he plays heel toe, which is really easy to play fast if you practice it enough. Hellhammer is hitting those crazy speeds entirely with singles, which are much more difficult. Think about that.

Yeah, I knew that, still, if ya can play 1440 beats in a minute (as opposed to bpm) it's still fair enough imo. Waterson comments that it's got nothing to do with music anyway.

Oh well, I imagine you probably know all this anyways. :p

punkdrums
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I knew that, still, if ya can play 1440 beats in a minute (as opposed to bpm) it's still fair enough imo. Waterson comments that it's got nothing to do with music anyway.

Oh well, I imagine you probably know all this anyways. :p
Lol. WTF 1440 beats in a minute IS 1440 BPM dumbass!

And I would say that anybody on here who claims to be able to play a <u>consistent</u> beat at any speed over say, 250 bpm (and hell thats pushing it) is probably bull$hittin.

In fact, I think it should be a rule that noone ever makes ANY claims as to their drumming speed unless their going to prove it with cold hard evidence (i.e a recording). Otherwise, shut up about god **** speeds. It doesn't matter anyway. Even if 1440 BPM was possible, wot kind of a song is going to warrant it? POINTLESS.

TTTSNB
04-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Lol. WTF 1440 beats in a minute IS 1440 BPM dumbass!

And I would say that anybody on here who claims to be able to play a <u>consistent</u> beat at any speed over say, 250 bpm (and hell thats pushing it) is probably bull$hittin.

In fact, I think it should be a rule that noone ever makes ANY claims as to their drumming speed unless their going to prove it with cold hard evidence (i.e a recording). Otherwise, shut up about god **** speeds. It doesn't matter anyway. Even if 1440 BPM was possible, wot kind of a song is going to warrant it? POINTLESS.
Its not BEATS per minute, its HITS per minute. so in 16ths, 1440 hits per minute would equal 1440/4=360 bpm. Still, incredibly fast. But please, do not clog up threads with these meaningless rants. If you actually think what you're saying should be done, then please talk to noe of the mods.

Adare
04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=well i think he just about covered it, lol. IMO their overused. still have their place in music though [/QUOTE]

Anything with a blast beat in it is not worthy of being called music

TTTSNB
04-07-2005, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=well i think he just about covered it, lol. IMO their overused. still have their place in music though

Anything with a blast beat in it is not worthy of being called music[/QUOTE]
Idiot. That is so untrue, its not even funny.

Tyrnox
04-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Adare, what a stupid comment that was.

SingedH
04-07-2005, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=well i think he just about covered it, lol. IMO their overused. still have their place in music though

Anything with a blast beat in it is not worthy of being called music[/QUOTE]

you suck

cjcdrums
04-22-2005, 12:26 AM

Utterly impossible. Nobody alive can play a blast beat that fast.

Tim Waterson's record was an average of 16th notes at 360 bpm for a minute. When he uses his so-called "toe-down" technique to reach those speeds, you can barely hear the second stroke of the double. And because it is so quiet, a trigger would not register the second hit at all, and a mic would pick it up as mud, not playing. So that speed would be useless in a musical situation.

NOT TO MENTION that playing anything with your hands in unison with your feet at speeds greater than 250 is almost impossible.

The fastest single strokes possible are about 270 bpm 16th notes. Only a few guys can do it. Flo might could, Derek probably could, and I know Pete Sandoval can. Tim Waterson can play 270 singles with his right foot, but can't keep them together with a double.

Regarding the gravity blast, Flo is very inconsistant at "hyper-blast" speeds. So I don't believe this 340 nonsence for a second, when I've seen a video of him struggling at 250.

The Feeding
05-03-2005, 11:01 AM
350 bpm is inhuman, plus constant blast beats get really overused and become annoying, its like yes we know you can do that, now do something new.

darkevent89
05-04-2005, 12:55 AM
anyone have a recording have the gravity blast?

beaker_747
05-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Lol. Gravity blast. That's a new one for my book. Well said.

TTTSNB
05-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Utterly impossible. Nobody alive can play a blast beat that fast.

Tim Waterson's record was an average of 16th notes at 360 bpm for a minute. When he uses his so-called "toe-down" technique to reach those speeds, you can barely hear the second stroke of the double. And because it is so quiet, a trigger would not register the second hit at all, and a mic would pick it up as mud, not playing. So that speed would be useless in a musical situation.

NOT TO MENTION that playing anything with your hands in unison with your feet at speeds greater than 250 is almost impossible.

The fastest single strokes possible are about 270 bpm 16th notes. Only a few guys can do it. Flo might could, Derek probably could, and I know Pete Sandoval can. Tim Waterson can play 270 singles with his right foot, but can't keep them together with a double.

Regarding the gravity blast, Flo is very inconsistant at "hyper-blast" speeds. So I don't believe this 340 nonsence for a second, when I've seen a video of him struggling at 250.

Yeah. The super fast 320-340 blasts, well those aren't really proper blasts per se, more just the left hand going insane on the snare and everything else trying to keep up. They stil hit insane tempos, but the drummers always use 2 footed 8th notes as well.

lewisniven
05-08-2005, 03:24 PM
a slight variation on the blast beat being the break beat, where the hihat/ride/ whatever is rolling, eg:

Hihat:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Snare:x x x x x x x x
Bass_: x x x x x x x x

murderdoll666
05-24-2005, 02:23 PM
oh so it that thing what dave lombardo does in a lot of slayer songs then

Harve
05-24-2005, 02:55 PM
yep or like in 94 hours off when i lay dying

Motleyguy
05-30-2005, 05:14 PM
...I think blast beats are lame...that is all

TTTSNB
08-29-2005, 10:35 AM
a slight variation on the blast beat being the break beat, where the hihat/ride/ whatever is rolling, eg:

Hihat:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Snare:x x x x x x x x
Bass_: x x x x x x x x
Thats not a blast beat.

chickensandwiches
08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
i only like using blasts in breakdowns or little fills that makes the music sound conflicting in a really cool sorta way otherwise i rarely use blast beats for actual beats unless it sounds good in a certain place

jeremy colson roks
09-07-2005, 01:46 AM
The fastest double bass playing is 24.7 notes per second......... Hahahahahahaha

Lucifericrucifix
09-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Going BACK TO THE THREAD! Lol. Still interesting to see everyone's prespective. Listen to The Black Dahlia Murder, Or At The Gates, Those are your typical blast beats just sped up quite a bit. Sometimes they're played fast enough to sound like rolls, as TTTSNB said.

...Also, There's plenty of music that uses them, Metal is popular amongst them, one of the first beats I started doing actually (Started drums with "Metal Intitution") So it shouldnt be too much of a hassle unless your trying to do that roll techinique, that takes some practice to sound good. :thumb:

dumbassdrummer
09-08-2005, 07:40 PM
"1440 beats in a minute (as opposed to bpm)"

You may have meant "hits" but you didn't say it.

Anyway, blast beats are alright, but they have a very limited application. If you play that genre, cool, but the music that calls for it is not extensive, and learning them wont help you alot outside of that genre.

TTTSNB
09-08-2005, 07:45 PM
"1440 beats in a minute (as opposed to bpm)"

You may have meant "hits" but you didn't say it.

Anyway, blast beats are alright, but they have a very limited application. If you play that genre, cool, but the music that calls for it is not extensive, and learning them wont help you alot outside of that genre.
Well, learning how to play them will build your chops like mad, which would be useful for ANY genre.

Hywel
09-10-2005, 07:54 AM
If you listen to Death Metal for a while, you really learn to love blastbeats.

Check out Decapitated - Nihility (the drummer is 16 years old on that record)
and Behemoth - Satanica

Also, for some really inventive use of Blastbeats, fast Double pedals, odd times, and pretty much every drumming style you can think of. Listen to the new Between The Buried And Me record - Alaska.

Night Terror is also insane.

But anyway, I thought I might post a couple of videos of Derek Roddy, who playes for Hate Eternal, they are videos of a studio session.

http://www.derekroddy.com/free_video/behold.wmv

http://www.derekroddy.com/free_video/will.wmv

noahsdove
09-11-2005, 07:16 PM
oddly enough most polka beats are slowed down blast beats. listen to a polka song.

Hywel
09-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah but blastbeats sound retarded when they are slow.

Carn
09-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Also, for some really inventive use of Blastbeats, fast Double pedals, odd times, and pretty much every drumming style you can think of. Listen to the new Between The Buried And Me record - Alaska.

http://www.derekroddy.com/free_video/behold.wmv

http://www.derekroddy.com/free_video/will.wmv

Alaska is a great record, good call.

And Blastbeats can still sound great on slower tempos, if played with a good sense of groove and clarity

trysthedrummer
09-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I think it's already been said, but I don't want to be a grumpy bas**rd, but this doesn't belong here. The Advanced thread is getting like the Article and Lesson's section now. :(

FockerTheLopper
09-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Blast beats are something that can spice up your playing as much as ghost notes if you use them in the right place. Now they are grossly overused in death/black metal but if your playing a beat for 1 bar then you have one count of a blast beat before a fill then fill for 2 measures then redo the blast beat then go back into the basic beat its really cool. If used right they can add major energy into the song

Hywel
09-20-2005, 02:40 PM
I dont really like it when bands write songs with really deep, chugging guitars with blastbeats. Blasting is best over tremelo picking, with EVIL melodies between two guitars, harmonizing. :p

MysweetFracture
09-21-2005, 11:58 AM
I dont really like it when bands write songs with really deep, chugging guitars with blastbeats. Blasting is best over tremelo picking, with EVIL melodies between two guitars, harmonizing. :p

Agreed. If done tastefully- it sounds great. I like when one guitar is playing a a repeating trem picked lick, and the other guitar is playing something lofty over it.

Blast beats are A-ok in my book, and i dont even really like death metal. Its all about the taste in which its performed.

chickensandwiches
09-22-2005, 08:31 PM
i agree with the lopper i love putting blast beats in a sort of fill way or for short periods but not that black metal monotony duhdatduhdatduhdat etc etc
and why is this thread still in advanced?

Loyton
09-24-2005, 03:40 PM
id post a video of me doing a blast beat, i think blast beats are lame, but when i posted that video and said that someone neg. repped me. wtf ever.

TTTSNB
09-24-2005, 09:30 PM
id post a video of me doing a blast beat, i think blast beats are lame, but when i posted that video and said that someone neg. repped me. wtf ever.
Please do. I doubt that you can do one fast and clean, one footed, any faster then about 160 bpm.

Futuro
09-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Please do. I doubt that you can do one fast and clean, one footed, any faster then about 160 bpm. Goddayum! 160 with one foot?! What the hell? Is that possible man?

*in Aw*

TTTSNB
09-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Goddayum! 160 with one foot?! What the hell? Is that possible man?

*in Aw*
:lol:

Esp Griffyn
09-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Me being guitarist, I dont have much in the way of discussion of the technical side of drumming with anyone (mainly cause I dont know that much...) but has anyone got a video of someone performing a Gravity blast? Ive heard these talked about with much reverence....

GnOm
09-25-2005, 02:56 PM

*in Aw*

Of course :D

Josiah
09-25-2005, 03:26 PM

16ths @ 160bpm is totally possible with 1 foot.

Carn
09-25-2005, 03:49 PM
well I would like to see someone keep that (continious 16th notes) up for 64 bars or something ;D

Everything_and_Nothing_3:15
09-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Well it is possible, but if you playing staight 16ths @ 160 for a minute it is impossible. No drummer can touch that, not even Tim Waterson. No drummer has reached 1200 beats in a min. w/single strokes. That'd be singles at 320bpm and no one has reached 300 yet. But all that speed is kinda useless. :lol:

Loyton
09-25-2005, 10:06 PM
so, its agreed no one will neg. rep me if i post a lame video of me doing a lame blast beat about a year ago, since weve all decided its NOT musical?

Loyton
09-25-2005, 10:10 PM
hell i dont care. Copy and paste this into browser since hottlinking doesnt work.
http://maelstrom999.tripod.com/Movie.wmv

TTTSNB
09-26-2005, 09:42 PM
hell i dont care. Copy and paste this into browser since hottlinking doesnt work.
http://maelstrom999.tripod.com/Movie.wmv
Well, some decent speed, but seems pretty sloppy and you start to slow down towards the end. Thats why blasts are hard....keeping them clean and consistent.

Loyton
09-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, some decent speed, but seems pretty sloppy and you start to slow down towards the end. Thats why blasts are hard....keeping them clean and consistent.

Yea. It wasnt really as good as it looked. Like i said, bout a year ago in that vid. But hey im not makin excuses, the camera quality also hid the double bass dirtyness.

TTTSNB
09-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Yea. It wasnt really as good as it looked. Like i said, bout a year ago in that vid. But hey im not makin excuses, the camera quality also hid the double bass dirtyness.
Hah, yeah its fine man, not trying to insult you or anything. Sounds better then what I can do.

Loyton
09-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Hah, yeah its fine man, not trying to insult you or anything. Sounds better then what I can do.

I highly dout that, ive pretty much thrown everything i knew about bass drumming out the window recently and started over. I figure better now then later with shoddy technique :thumb:

TTTSNB
09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I highly dout that, ive pretty much thrown everything i knew about bass drumming out the window recently and started over. I figure better now then later with shoddy technique :thumb:
Dude...learn good bass technique. It helps for any style of playing.

DrumNUt
10-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Two words: Derek Roddy

BetweenTheEchoes
11-11-2005, 01:04 AM

Yeah, maybe for 3 seconds using horrible technique, poor volume, and your dominant foot.

Playing 16ths at 320 bpm (which would be the equivalent of one foot playing 160) doesn't happen often, if ever.

OHHHHH BTW-JoJo Mayer's weird *** bass foot insanely cool fast as hell thing he does, doesn't count.

FockerTheLopper
11-11-2005, 09:18 AM
http://www.drummagazine.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=860&mode=thread&order=1&thold=-1
Ha, now we can call death metal drummers wankers for ripping off polka music!

Motleyguy
11-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah, maybe for 3 seconds using horrible technique, poor volume, and your dominant foot.

Playing 16ths at 320 bpm (which would be the equivalent of one foot playing 160) doesn't happen often, if ever.

OHHHHH BTW-JoJo Mayer's weird *** bass foot insanely cool fast as hell thing he does, doesn't count.

that's just heel-toe playing.

BetweenTheEchoes
11-11-2005, 03:07 PM
that's just heel-toe playing.

Are you sure? I thought he was doing some kinda like...foot "shaking" thing.