PDA

View Full Version : Guns 'N Roses

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the Jungle

I know what you’re thinking. No, I’m not a psychic; but I can tell that if you’re reading a Featured Artist thread about Guns N’ Roses you’re either a fan or a skeptic. Guns N’ Roses is a band that is always constantly evolving, and for a time in history, they ruled the world (and perhaps they’ll rule again). But before we get ahead of ourselves, we have to start at the beginning.

Yesterdays

Arguably, the band Guns N’ Roses was born in 1985 when two hot L.A rock bands become one. A young Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin had been trudging through the music scene in a band called Hollywood Rose. At the same time, lead guitarist Tracii Guns and drummer Rob Gardner had been suffering the same trials and tribulations in the band L.A Guns. A spark flew between these men through a few meetings and gigs, and soon after the combination of Hollywood Rose and L.A Guns would give birth to the monster we know today; Guns N’ Roses.

The lineup was as follows:

W. Axl Rose (vocals)
Izzy Stradlin (guitar)
Tracii Guns (guitar)
Duff McKagan (bass)
Rob Gardner (drums)

Duff McKagan, a punk rocker from Seattle, flew out to L.A to make it big. He was discovered by Izzy Stradlin (his neighbour) and brought into the band to fill the role of bass.

For many months this version of Guns N’ Roses hit the town playing shows, writing killer tracks, and rocking the hard rock L.A scene. Things were looking up, and as time progressed Axl knew they had to start playing shows outside of L.A. Booking a few shows/tour for the summer, nobody could have guessed the reactions from Tracii and Rob.

As summer approached and the idea of leaving L.A to play gigs in other places was set on the table, Tracii Guns outwardly refused. What followed was a quick break up of the band; all over the issue of leaving L.A to do other gigs. Tracii took drummer Rob Gardner with him to reform L.A Guns, leaving Axl and the others with their mouth’s flapping in the wind.

With no lead guitarist or drummer, Axl and Izzy returned to Hollywood Rose licking their wounds. However, after playing a few shows, they struck a chord with two musicians in the audience; Steven Adler (drummer) and Saul Hudson aka Slash (guitarist).

Watching the show, Adler remarked to Slash that if they could get hold of Axl and Izzy, they’d have the makings of something magical. Slash agreed, and the musicians met. After a few phone calls (and getting hold of Duff to bring him onboard), Guns N’ Roses was once again living.

June, 1985

W. Axl Rose (vocals)
Slash (lead guitars)
Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitar)
Duff McKagan (bass)
Steven Adler (drums)

This was the band that everyone knows today. With Seattle bookings still intact since the Tracii days, the band began their brotherhood together. From there, life was a whirlwind of gigs around California, writing, and partying. Life was good, but it was going to get better soon.

In 1986, Guns N’ Roses managed to impress a few Geffen big wigs at one of their L.A gigs. The issue of signing the band was a risky one. Not because of talent, from what they had seen they were quite impressed. Frankly, they weren’t sure they would live long enough to even record an album. Regardless, in March of that same year, Guns N’ Roses were officially signed to Geffen. Months later in August, Alan Niven was hired as their manager and recording began for the bands first album; “Appetite For Destruction”.

Interesting Fact:

Aerosmith Manager Tim Collins was interested in managing the band, but refused after seeing them trash a hotel room and get completely wasted after a meeting.

In December, after many months of hard work, Appetite For Destruction was finished. It was no easy task, as Alan Niven discovered while trying to keep the band alive and tone down the drinking and drugs. Geffen soon after, made plans to release the album in July of the following year.

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 07:45 PM
July 21st, 1987 was the official US release of Appetite, and a few singles (along with a video for Welcome to the Jungle) were released. At first, the band was moving at a slow burn. But after the release of the video for Sweet Child O’ Mine, things began to sky rocket. Sweet Child O’ Mine would go on to become the band’s first #1 single.

The rest of the year (and the following year) were nothing short of ongoing activity. Guns N’ Roses began doing big tours and in 88, they began writing a few of the songs that would show up on their next few efforts. Pressure within the band was fine, the drinking and drugs were still a major problem, but success was rolling in.

In November of that same year, “Gn’R Lies” was released into the public. Lyrics from the track “One in a Million” cause controversy and managed to label Axl as a racist and a homophobe. Axl denies being either. After long promotions and tours for the rest of the year and the next, Guns N’ Roses went on its first hiatus.

Appetite had hit the billboard charts at #1, Lies had risen to #5, and all the Guns N’ Roses singles were high up on the charts. Their popularity was booming as they went on tour with other famous/established bands/musicians, played at award shows, and even won an award themselves at the 1989 VMA’s (in which the band was completely wasted). The band needed a break. It was during this break though, that the drugs got worse.

However, it wasn’t long before the GnR train was back up and running. In February of 1990, keyboardist Dizzy Reed joined the band as recording and writing began for Guns N’ Rose’s biggest project yet; a double album.

Tension within the band was at a rise; however, the boys of GnR had managed to clean up moderately well after Axl threaten to break up the band because of it last year. But there was one member of the band that was too far gone to be reached. After failing to be able to play the drum parts written for the new material, Steven Adler was fired from the band (July 11th, 1990). Steven was quickly replaced by drummer Matt Sorum to create the new line-up as it was for the next few years.

W. Axl Rose (vocals)
Slash (lead guitars)
Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitar)
Duff McKagan (bass)
Matt Sorum (drums)
Dizzy Reed (keyboards)

The rest of the year would drift by with a quick finalizing of the songs and a few major A-list shows. The following year would begin the cracks that would ultimately destroy the band in the years to come though.

From the beginning of 91 to September, many singles off of the double albums project were released into the world, concerts/tours were done, and Alan Niven was fired as manager and replaced by Doug Goldstein. Not only this, but Axl began to stop showing up for important gigs, and his ego began to grow.

In September, Use Your Illusion I and II were released into the world with almost instant success. Musically, it showed the huge evolution the band had undertaken. No longer was Guns N’ Roses the pure hard rock band from the Appetite days. To some, Use Your Illusion I and II were beautiful masterpieces of epic songs like November Rain, Coma, Estranged, etc combined with the old in-your-face-rock from their earlier days seen on songs like You Could Be Mine. To others, the double disc set was a disappointing departure from the hard rock roots band they had fallen in love with back in the late 80's.

Axl’s ego and control over the band was starting to become too much for the other members however, and in November of that same year, Izzy Stradlin officially quit the band. He was, however, quickly replaced by guitarist Gilby Clarke; a fellow musician who had been playing all the same clubs that Guns N’ Roses had.

This was not the only new change the band had to get used to quickly as they began touring again. Axl brought on a horn section as well as backup vocals to add to the Guns family, creating the last new lineup of the band before its dramatic break up.

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 07:50 PM
W. Axl Rose (lead vocals, piano)
Slash (lead guitar, backing vocals)
Duff McKagan (bass, backing vocals)
Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitar, backing vocals)
Dizzy Reed (keyboards, percussion)
Matt Sorum (drums, backing vocals)
Ted Andreadis (keyboards, harmonica, background vocals)
Diane Jones (background vocals)
Roberta Freeman (background vocals)
Tracy Amos (background vocals)

What followed in the years to come between 92-94 was nothing short of chaos. The fractures in the band that had been growing since the departure of Steven Adler (who at this time was desperately trying to kill himself) were only growing. The band played shows across the world, and at times failed to because of Axl deciding to not show up.

Not only this; but the new direction Axl was taking the band through after the UYI albums was tearing away at lead guitarist Slash. Slowly and bit by bit, the band began to grow apart to the point where they almost never saw each other in the studio or talked to each other on tour anymore. Their popularity continued at a steady pace, and on the exterior the band was still a whole.

In 93 the band released an album of covers entitled “The Spaghetti Incident?”. The album received a lukewarm reception compared to the bands last efforts, and afterwards writing began for the next Guns N’ Roses album. In the years afterwards, differing opinions on musical direction, a faltering friendship, and one insatiable ego drove the final wedge between Axl and what remains of the original lineup. 95 went by slower then usual, and 1996 marked the end at last.

As Slash departed in October of that year, Axl didn’t seem phased. He sent a fax to MTV detailing that the band would still release their next album. But, as Slash walked out the door, Duff and the others soon took their cues as well. As each member went their separate ways, Axl desperately bought the rights to the Guns N’ Roses name, in the hope that Guns N’ Roses would live on through him. By the middle of 97, Guns N’ Roses as it was, was officially over.

Chinese Democracy

For the next few years, Axl remained in hiding whilst his former band mates began their own new careers. However, this would not be the last that people would see or hear from the neurotic front man.

In 99, the new track “Oh My God” was released on the soundtrack for the movie “End of Days”. Rumors began to circulate of a return to the music world by Axl, even talk of a new Guns N’ Rose and a new album to come. As Axl remained in hiding while beginning the long writing process, two words were on the minds of eager fans everywhere; Chinese Democracy.

During the years between 99-02, Axl began writing and recruiting session musicians (Zack Wylde, Brian May, Dave Navarro, and many more) that would become the huge undertaking of Axl’s version of the “perfect album”. Armed with a new musical direction, and a little maturity, the likes of an actual band and new material began to take shape.

In 2002 at the VMA’s, the new Guns N’ Roses took the stage for the first time.

W. Axl Rose (Vocals)
Dizzy Reed (Keyboards)
Buckethead (Lead guitar)
Tommy Stinson (Bass)
Robin Fink (Lead guitar)
Richard Fortus (Rhythm guitar)
Brian Mantia “Brain” (Drums)
Chris Pitman (Keyboards, Special Effects)

Among the set list for the show were classics like Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City, along with the epic new song Madagascar. Though the performance was somewhat zombie-like, it didn’t fail to get fans excited again. Axl had announced his return, a tour, and plans for 3 new albums; the first of which being Chinese Democracy.

Critics and some diehard fans saw the new band as a disgrace to what Guns N’ Roses used to be, and were angered that Axl called the new band Guns N’ Roses. Regardless, this signaled a new era in the Guns N’ Roses legacy as the Chinese Democracy tour began.

However, things would not go so smoothly in the beginning. In typical Guns N’ Roses fashion, a riot broke out in Vancouver (Canada), kicking off the tour with a bit of a sour note. Axl had arrived in the Vancouver airport an hour late, and because of this the managers at GM Stadium cancelled the show without Axl’s (or the rest of the band’s) notice. This wouldn’t stop Axl though.

For the next several months, the tour went as planned. A few new songs the band had been working on were shown off (along with the old songs), and Guns N’ Roses proved to the world that they still had a strong following.

However, during the last leg of the tour in December of 02, the tour was abruptly cancelled. Inside sources have mentioned that the people promoting and supporting the tour had run out of money, and that this is the reason for the cancellation (along with a strange illness that afflicted Axl during December to January).

Though the tour was cancelled, news was spread that the boys were going back to work on writing and recording the new album (which they hoped to release that year in 03). In March, the band announced they would be playing the next Rock In Rio (scheduled March of 04). Axl confirmed that they are working on writing and recording all 3 new albums all at once so they can tour more frequently.

The members of the new Guns N’ Roses also pursued their own solo projects, along with being top secret about the status of the new album. As time went by without announcements or appearances by the band, speculation and rumors began to mount.

In March of 04, the performance at Rock In Rio was cancelled due to Buckethead leaving the band. The official statement about Buckethead’s departure can be found below. This is also the last official statement Axl Rose has made.

A Message from W. Axl Rose

The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure. During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behaviour and commitment - despite being under contract - creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence. His transient lifestyle has made it impossible for even his closest friends to have nearly any form of communication with him whatsoever. Last time I talked to Bucket, he called to tell me he had bought a bootleg DVD off EBay and how proud he was to be in Guns and how impressed he was with everyone's performance. Then, in February we got word from Brain that Bucket had called him and said he was back in Guns!? Apparently, according to Bucket he had been "Gone" but had turned himself around and was really excited to do Rio-Lisbon and a European tour. Somewhere in the following month things changed once again. According to those who have actually spoken with Buckethead it appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GN'R and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts...Nice guy!

There is not a member of this camp that is not hurt, upset and ultimately disappointed by this event, and more to the point - if not this individual, certainly this individual's choices. Regardless of anyone's opinions of me and what I may or may not deserve, clearly the fans, individuals in this band, management, crew and our support group do not deserve this type of treatment. We as a whole, definitely feel that we afforded Bucket every accommodation perhaps so much so that it may be that we or more precisely, I may have done Guns a disservice and unintentionally allowed Guns to be put in this position.

On behalf of Guns N' Roses and myself I apologize to the fans who planned to see us at Rock In Rio - Lisbon. The festival and its tradition mean a lot to me personally and I sincerely do not enjoy being robbed by one of our own of the opportunity to be the first artist to play it for the third time. I would also like to express my gratitude to those who chose to embrace Buckethead's role in Guns and support our new line up. We greatly appreciate Bucket's contributions and remain open to "discussions" as there are obviously several issues to resolve. In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months.

Sincerely,

W. Axl Rose

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 07:53 PM
With Buckethead’s departure, the new album which had been rumoured to be released in November was now delayed. The parts Buckethead contributed to the album were confirmed to be staying, and writing and recording continued. Many times Axl had asked the band members to come back in while they were working on other projects to re-record/re-write the material to appear on CD. Axl refused to settle for anything less then perfection; this was to be his comeback after all.

As the months went by with still no news or word from the band or Geffen, the album progressed in secrecy. Whilst writing and recording continued till November, Axl desperately searched for a guitarist to fill Buckethead’s shoes. Tracii Guns, the original guitarist of Guns N’ Roses sent an email to Axl asking for a spot in the band in December. Tracii himself has confirmed this to be true, but as to whether Axl accepted the offer or not, this remains a mystery. Neither side will give a yes or a no.

During December of 04 and January this year, the long-awaited Chinese Democracy was at least in the stage of mixing and mastering. Band members Tommy Stinson, Robin Fink, and Richard Fortus have confirmed that the writing/recording stage of the CD is done, and that mixing and mastering is currently going on. It has also been confirmed that Axl brought in orchestra conductor Buckmaster to add to the epic new direction CD would go.

Currently, the band line up is as follows:

W. Axl Rose (Lead Vocals, Piano, Programming)
Dizzy Reed (Keyboards, programming)
Tommy Stinson (Bass)
Robin Finck (Lead guitar/Rhythm guitar)
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Lead guitar/Rhythm guitar)
Richard Fortus (Rhythm guitar)
Brian Mantia "Brain" (Drums)
Chris Pitman (Keyboardist, Special Effects)

The following is a track list of songs to appear on CD (bold titles are only rumoured to be on CD):

Blues
Chinese Democracy
Madagascar
TWAT (There Was A Time)
IRS
Prostitute
Leave Me Alone
General
This I Love
Catcher in the Rye
Seven
Better
If The World
Sway
Sorry
Oh My God *Possible B-Side*
Thyme *Buckmaster confirmed that he orchestrated this song, but unconfirmed if it’ll be on CD*
Ides Of March
Closing In On You
Substitute *Possible name change of the track “Prostitute”*
Silkworms *Was played live in 2002*
Rhiad & the Bedouins *Was played live in 2002*

As is, this is the current state of Guns N’ Roses. Axl Rose is still in hiding, rumors constantly circulating of a release date, CD is being mixed and mastered, and the remaining members of the band are still 100% committed to Guns N’ Roses. Sales of Guns N’ Roses’ “Greatest Hits” album in 2004 has also proved that the fan base is still there (as well as paying for multi-million dollar recording costs of CD). In 2006 GNR are currently touring, playing a few of the new leaked tracks (IRS, Better, TWAT) still without a confirmed release date. If you can bear with me for a moment, I’ll take you through my brief “where are they now?” section.

Where Are They Now?

Slash, Duff, and Matt

After leaving Guns N’ Roses in 96-97, Slash went full-time with his hard rockin’ sideproject band “Slash’s Snakepit” (which Slash had formed a few years prior to leaving Guns and had released a debut in 95). Their first album was composed of material that Axl previously wanted to use for the next Guns N’ Roses album. Listening to that album makes me thankful the band did break up when it did; although I am still a fan of Slash's blues-influenced hard rock style. Slash eventually ended Snakepit and reunited with Duff (who had been floundering around with his own solo projects). Slash, Duff, and Matt began what was once known as “The Project”, now known as Velvet Revolver in 2002. They would bring aboard Ex-Wasted Youth guitarist Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots) before releasing their debut album in 2004.

Interesting Fact
Izzy wrote several songs for Velvet Revolver, none of them were used because they were too reminiscent of Guns N’ Roses from the Appetite days.

Steven Adler

Steven Adler as you know was the first to leave Guns N’ Roses because of his drug habits. The drugs were very apparently affecting his performance. In the studio he would often just lose it and literally not be able to play anything the others gave him. His drumming ability was in a chokehold and the others had enough. In the summer of 1990 Steven Adler was fired from Guns N’Roses.

"I went totally off, I was thrown out of the band because they said I was doing heroin, but everyone was, Doug Goldstein (band manager) took me to this doctor, the doc gave me this thing called an opiate blocker, and it works by making you violently sick if you take any opiates. You can absolutely not take it if you have any trace of heroin in your system, because you can die. Now I did have, they put this injection in my buttocks and I have never felt pain like that, I can still remember it now, I was so sick, I will never forget that needle in my ***. I was sick for 6 weeks, and during that time, Slash called up and said that they were in the studio recording Civil War, and I had to get down there. I said ****, man, I can't, he said, but we can't waste the money, so I got up and went and I was so weak and sick that I had to play the song 25 times if not more, Slash and Duff got ****ed up, I was not, but I was so sick. I never said nothing bad, I love those guys, Guns n' Roses was always the five of us. This was something that Axl wanted; there was a whole plan to get rid of me."

- Steven Adler

The 1990's were a troublesome time for Steven. He had serious drug-problems and attempts at forming bands and playing again always seemed to fail at an early stage. The drugs led to several times in prison. He definitely lost touch with the GN'R camp when he sued them for turning him onto drugs. The main thing was that Steven wanted to secure enough money to support his family because the plan (in the GnR Camp) was to give Steven $2000 and the boot. Steven won the lawsuit.

Currently Steven is in the band “Adler’s Appetite”. This is the current line up:

Steven Adler – Drums
Jizzy Pearl – Vocals
Keri Kelli – Lead Guitar
Brent Muscat – Rhythm Guitar
Robbie Crane – Bassist

For those that don’t recognize the names in Adler’s new band let me elaborate. You may recognize Jizzy Pearl from his vocal work in Ratt and Love/Hate, Keri Kelli from Slash’s Snakepit and Ratt, Brent Muscat from Faster Pussycat’s and former Vince Neil and Ratt bassist Robbie Crane. This however is not the official line up as several times different vocalists and guitarists have joined and left and come back to the band. The name of the band has also changed back and forth several times to Suki Jones. Pre-production for the first Adler’s Appetite album began last year in September and the release date is slated for this summer (with some singles released in February).

http://www.adlersappetite.com/

Interesting Fact

Apparently Steven really wants to bring the original Guns N’ Roses back together. Steven has stayed in touch with the boys (except Axl) and interestingly enough Slash, Duff, and Izzy played with his band at the Key Club. When asked on his web site about a reunion Steven very specifically said that he thinks they owe it to the fans to get back together at least for 1 show. In fact he has even gone as far to soften the idea on the others…not to get anyone’s hopes up (because it probably won’t happen anytime soon) but it is in the talking stage. Who knows what the future holds?

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Izzy Stradlin

After leaving Guns N’ Roses, it didn't take Stradlin long to form another band. He launched the Stones carbon copy Izzy Stradlin & the Ju Ju Hounds, which broke up soon after issuing a moderately successful self-titled debut album in 1992 (Stradlin briefly re-joined Guns for a smattering of gigs the same year, before departing for good).

In the wake of the Ju Ju Hounds break up, Stradlin became quite reclusive, disappearing from sight for several years. The late ‘90s saw him reappear rapidly however, as he issued a string of solo albums – 1998's 117°, 1999's Ride On, 2001's River, and 2002's On Down the Road, and even managed to play a handful of solo shows in Japan.

Stradlin also signed on to help out in the song writing department for the new G n' R-related offshoot group, the Project/Velvet Revolver but denied the chance to be a touring member of the group. This is the last anyone has heard of Izzy as he is still currently running around with different independent projects. A new solo album by Mr. Stradlin is expected sometime in mid-2005.

As a side note, out of all the post-Guns N' Roses projects, Izzy Stradlin has impressed me the most. People, if you haven't heard his stuff and are a fan of rock and Guns N' Roses, BUY HIS ALBUMS. They're better then Velvet Revolver and Slash's Snakepit combined. I can't comment on whether he's better then Adler's Appetite as they haven't released any original material...but we'll see.

EDIT

Recently Izzy Stradlin finally agreed to release his long-awaited follow up album Like A Dog. Previously Izzy was pulling an "Axl" over us by keeping the album behind bars but thanks to the actions of many die-hard Izzy Stradlin fans, the album will see the light of day.

For more information visit his website at: http://www.izzy.34sp.com/

Interesting Fact

Izzy visited Axl in 01 with the intent of rebuilding burnt bridges, and possibly be friends once again. Axl wouldn’t even let him in the front gate.

Further Reading

http://www.sp1at.com/phpBB2/ (A great source for rumors, news, and information on the band)

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/index2.php (Great unofficial site)

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/index2.php (Best Guns N’ Roses discussion board around)

Discography

http://www.darkelucidation.com/guns_n_roses_discography.php

My Recommended GnR Hit List (for beginners)

Welcome to the Jungle
It’s So Easy
Nightrain
Mr. Brownstone
Paradise City
My Michelle
Sweet Child O’ Mine
Rocket Queen
Patience
One In A Million (not for sensitive people)
Civil War
Don’t Cry (Original Lyrics)
November Rain
Estranged
Coma
You Could Be Mine
Yesterdays
Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
Used To Love Her
Bad Obsession
Don't Damn Me
Blues
Madagascar

Guns N’ Roses Q & A

Questions or requests of information/new songs will be received at my alt. email account:

Guns_N_Roses_Guru@hotmail.com

Thanks go out to all the Guns N’ Roses fans and to Medapolis who convinced me to do this.

BoboTheRagingHobo
1st post?

Fairly short FA, easy enough to read, nice nice. :thumb:

GG for screwing that one up. :lol: :lol:

Dr. Jake Destructo
Whoops. I'll delete that post..

GG?

clown_phobia
Well, written and informative. Well done!

Dr. Jake Destructo
01-19-2005, 07:59 PM
GG for screwing that one up. :lol: :lol:

Fix'd :upset: How embarrasing..

Thor
01-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Wow, very well done. Props to you, bro.

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Wow, very well done. Props to you, bro.

Thanks. It's good to know that somebody appreciates a thread like this about Guns N' Roses, most people around here outwardly dislike them.

Dr. Jake Destructo
01-19-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but you did do a very nice job. :thumb:

whatduffhuck7
01-19-2005, 10:13 PM
november rain is top 10 song ever material

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Yeah it is. It's a really beautiful song. If you're referring to my list, it's not in any specific order. Funny enough though, Slash and the other guys HATED practicing that song and that was the only song Axl wanted to practice for a long time (while they were writing for UYI).

Riva
01-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Brilliant, Cipher, brilliant.

Pity I have to spread some rep first :(

Cipher Hour
01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Brilliant, Cipher, brilliant.

Pity I have to spread some rep first :(

Aw shucks, coming from you that's an honor. Anyway, I hope you like my next FA (I want to do one on The Scorpions).

Yaksha
01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
hell if you wanna hear some good rock n roll beginners just listen to the whole first album - Appetite for Destruction

led_zep_luvr
01-19-2005, 11:10 PM
god ****

rata
01-19-2005, 11:56 PM
im not really into guns...probably because of axle........

but you did a very good thread here........

Yaksha
01-20-2005, 12:17 AM
yah forgot to post that the thread was really well done.. kudos to you.

rafeuss
01-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Awesome...rep'd

pizzapie88
01-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Well done mate :thumb:

dUSK
01-20-2005, 05:34 AM
Very nicely done Cipher :thumb:

Some trivial info here though,

The Spaghetti Incident
The album's title was an inside reference to Steven Adler's lawsuit against the band for his dismissal. In an attempt to display the cruelty of his band mates, he had described an occasion where Duff ate his leftover spaghetti without asking permission. This episode was described in Adlers legal documents as "The Spaghetti Incident".

And Izzy Stradlin was originally known as Jeffery Isabelle
Axl Rose was originally known as William Bailey
:)

floyd.the.barber
01-20-2005, 06:24 AM
guns n roses are great, anyone heard mama kin the aero smith cover :thumb:

RiceMonster
01-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Nice FA. I'll rep you when I can.

scumfunk
01-20-2005, 07:44 AM
that was a awesome first post rep /\

JH LU KH RT
01-20-2005, 09:06 AM
what were the other featured artists besides dream theatre, pink floyd, and maiden.

Cipher Hour
01-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Rage Against The Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tool
Atheist
Iron Maiden
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Guns N' Roses

That's all of them thus far.

JH LU KH RT
01-20-2005, 09:21 AM
can i have a link to the rage one?

Cipher Hour
01-20-2005, 09:23 AM
You can find the links in the rules thread. We should really try and stay on topic about Guns N' Roses here.

munky_magik
01-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Links are in the rules thread.

IAJP
01-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Very well done,
repp'd

SLATANIC-666
01-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Nice FA :thumb:

BludgeonySteve
01-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Great band, great article. Nothing more to say than that.

Squirellmeister
01-20-2005, 10:40 AM
I love G n R. I am waiting for CD but not holding my breath not too impressed by the new material to be honest. Also I noticed you suggest DOnt Cry(Original Lyrics) but I'd say the Alt lyrics are better, the recording was a bit worse but I felt the lyrics were so much better.

V_R_C_H_P
01-20-2005, 11:21 AM
i didnt get into guns n roses until i saw velvet revolver axel the gimp! chinese democracy will b crap adios

Woodstock
01-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Spectacular FA, great job. I used to like this band, but I guess I've grown out of them.

Shazzam
01-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah, definately do the Scorpions next. Love there music, just don't know much about them.

BTW awesome job

RocketKev
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Well done, that was an excellent article. That made my night. I hope we see daylight with "Chinese Democracy" soon and I will take your advice on Izzy Stradlin's solo work.

RoCKinG STANTON
01-20-2005, 02:17 PM
This is the best thread about guns n' roses because it describes them. NOt how they compare to Velvet Revolver and all that, Just information about them. Had a Great time reading this thank you lol.

The Fonz
01-20-2005, 02:35 PM
ive been trying to find some stuff by the juju hounds....
i heard VR a while ago and love them
then it sparked my interest and i tried to find some other"solo" work... and i found slash's snake pit ( great band) and now i know some more personall info... thanx!

Sandtrap
01-20-2005, 03:00 PM
hell if you wanna hear some good rock n roll beginners just listen to the whole first album - Appetite for Destruction

Amen!!

I think that was a sure as hell kick *** album too! Anyone who hasnt sould hear that album!

xxxRoCkJuNkiExxx
01-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Great job! I liked the "Interesting Facts."

mordredozzy124
01-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Nice man, thats some good information, good job.

What are some good Izzy solo songs btw, anyone know? Ah, Slash's Snakepit too, any good songs by them?

blue3
01-20-2005, 09:30 PM
ive been trying to find some stuff by the juju hounds....
i heard VR a while ago and love them
then it sparked my interest and i tried to find some other"solo" work... and i found slash's snake pit ( great band) and now i know some more personall info... thanx!
You can listen to Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds here http://www.mp3search.ru/album.html?id=10417&ref=3460&lang=en..

blue3
01-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice man, thats some good information, good job.

What are some good Izzy solo songs btw, anyone know? Ah, Slash's Snakepit too, any good songs by them?
Some good Izzy songs are Somebody Knockin' and Shuffle It All.. For Slash's Snakepit, it's Beggars & Hangers-on and Dime Store Rock

Cipher Hour
01-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey blue3, long time no see. What do you think of my FA?

blue3
01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
It was great.. you know too much

Cipher Hour
01-20-2005, 10:25 PM
I got my finger on the pulse man, that's all. Somebody has to keep the Guns fans informed and updated from time to time after all. Thanks for filling in those Izzy and Snakepit suggestions (which I was about to do before you posted).

As a side note, picking up 117 and the Ju Ju Hounds album are definitely good ideas for anybody interested in Izzy's work. Those albums are pure old-school rock masterpieces. His later albums are also good, but for people unfamiliar with his sound I'd start there.

MechanicalClockworkOrgy
01-20-2005, 10:33 PM
i heart duff mckagen, didnt know he was a punk rocker, meh, who cares, anywho
good review man, i now love you *hugs*

Po0sH
01-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Very well done.

Cipher Hour
01-21-2005, 12:27 AM
i heart duff mckagen, didnt know he was a punk rocker, meh, who cares, anywho
good review man, i now love you *hugs*

Aw shucks, you people are too kind.

Oh and yeah, I was a little surprised too when I first found out that Duff used to be in a punk band. It's an interesting kind of background to come from considering he joined a band that is pretty far away from punk as far as I'm concerned.

MechanicalClockworkOrgy
01-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Aw shucks, you people are too kind.

Oh and yeah, I was a little surprised too when I first found out that Duff used to be in a punk band. It's an interesting kind of background to come from considering he joined a band that is pretty far away from punk as far as I'm concerned.
well, slash learned how to really play guitar by a ramones album, plus i mean, look at them, they COULD be considered a stereotype punk band from the 80s, especailly in their early days

Cipher Hour
01-21-2005, 12:35 AM
well, slash learned how to really play guitar by a ramones album, plus i mean, look at them, they COULD be considered a stereotype punk band from the 80s, especailly in their early days

Not really, at least music wise. They certainly did look the part of your typical hair metal junkie though in the beginning (yikes!).

on 1 day release
01-21-2005, 03:17 AM
gr8t thread on a legendary band. u guys must but the welcome to the vids DVD it has gr8t songs and of coures vids. november rain is my fav song.

def topin your rep up

dUSK
01-21-2005, 03:53 AM
^ With punctuation like that I doubt your rep will be doing anything positive for long.

And speaking Duff being a punk rocker, those of you who have the Use Your Illusion Tour: Live from Tokyo DVD's, may I ask what did you think of Duff's song 'Attitude'?

munky_magik
01-21-2005, 05:31 AM
I'm just checking that you do know that "Attitude" was orginally by The Misfits...right?
Personally I thought it was allright, Prefer The 'Fits version though :)

The Essential
01-21-2005, 06:52 AM
excellent stuff!

ANewHope
01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Nice job bro. The original Guns N' Roses is my favorite band.

RockerGav
01-21-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm just checking that you do know that "Attitude" was orginally by The Misfits...right?
Personally I thought it was allright, Prefer The 'Fits version though :)

Yeah but its still nothing on most other Misfits songs.

I thought it was a great article, but there were a couple of errors (I think, I could be wrong.)

Axl demanded the rights to the name GnR on the eve of the Get in the Ring tour, threatening that he wouldn't play otherwise, and the other members reluctantly handed over, realising the amount of money that they would lose.

I believe (and I'm not as sure on this) that Guns didn't turn up to a few practices so they got their friend Slash to play guitar. Then Adler (who was in a band with Slash) joined shortly afterwards.

Either way it was a great article on one of the best bands ever IMO.

PinkFloyd
01-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Nice man.

PinkFloyd
01-21-2005, 10:56 AM
^ With punctuation like that I doubt your rep will be doing anything positive for long.

Cipher Hour
01-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah but its still nothing on most other Misfits songs.

I thought it was a great article, but there were a couple of errors (I think, I could be wrong.)

Axl demanded the rights to the name GnR on the eve of the Get in the Ring tour, threatening that he wouldn't play otherwise, and the other members reluctantly handed over, realising the amount of money that they would lose.

I believe (and I'm not as sure on this) that Guns didn't turn up to a few practices so they got their friend Slash to play guitar. Then Adler (who was in a band with Slash) joined shortly afterwards.

Either way it was a great article on one of the best bands ever IMO.

To be fair, Slash and the other guys contradict themselves in interviews when they talk about when exactly Axl demanded the rights to the GnR name. You could be right or I could be right, depends on who you ask.

cheesecake man
01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
guns and roses all the way

davelanger
01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Very nicely done Cipher :thumb:

Some trivial info here though,

The Spaghetti Incident
The album's title was an inside reference to Steven Adler's lawsuit against the band for his dismissal. In an attempt to display the cruelty of his band mates, he had described an occasion where Duff ate his leftover spaghetti without asking permission. This episode was described in Adlers legal documents as "The Spaghetti Incident".

And Izzy Stradlin was originally known as Jeffery Isabelle
Axl Rose was originally known as William Bailey
:)

Axl Rose's birth name is William Rose, his adoptive name is Willaim Bailey

davelanger
01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
oh and again for the people who have not heard the new songs yet

http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/GNR-ChineseDemocracy-Boston02-Master.mp3 and

http://www.silence-isnt-golden.com/madagascar-remix.mp3 and

http://www.silence-isnt-golden.com/theblues-remix.mp3

davelanger
01-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Also how the band really got together was Axl and izzy got duff first then Duff told axl and izzy about Steven and Slash and got them all together. Steven and slash LIED about how the band really got together on BTM, just read any old book or article about the band and you will see that it was duff who brought slash and steven into the band after he join axl and izzy.

Cipher Hour
01-21-2005, 07:08 PM
That would explain the inaccuracy. Thanks Dave! :thumb:

Note to self: Stop watching programs like BTM.

davelanger
01-21-2005, 07:14 PM
NP, its just amazing how they try and change how the band really got together. Duff knew Slash and Steven from roadcrew and that is why he told axl and izzy about them. They all hooked up in 1985 and played their first show at the trubadour (sp?)

If you want a really great history check out this gnr time line.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/history/index.html

The BTM had a lot of inaccuracies. Another was how slash claimed the whole horn and back up singer thing was Axls idea. The facts are it was slashs idea to bring them on tour, and there is even an interview where Slash says it was his idea. Im too lazy to find it but its true, it was slash not axl, eventho slash now bashes Axl for bringing them on tour.

Joe
01-21-2005, 08:12 PM
I think this might have been said, but I will say it anyway

Slash- amazing. he's very quick
Appetite for Destruction- One of the best albums ever released in all of music IMO

The Essential
01-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Slash is god imo.

Joe
01-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Slash is god imo.

I wouldn't quite consider him god, but he's one of the best guitarists around

chorbalan
01-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Aw shucks, coming from you that's an honor. Anyway, I hope you like my next FA (I want to do one on The Scorpions).

You definately should they are one of my favourite bands. Also naturaly I must say great job with the article, I love GnR and from what I've heard of the new album it probably won't suck.

BludgeonySteve
01-22-2005, 11:22 AM
What I like about Guns N Roses is that they can rock like hell and also make beautiful songs (Patience, November Rain...). This is why they kick the **** out of Ac/dc for best hard rock band.

slash89
01-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Sweet work man! Guns N' Roses is my favorite band and I listen to them all the time. Good to see that someone gives this band the attention it deseves! I can't wait for Chinese Democracy to come out. I am still one of those who hopes/believes that the old line-up will come together one day.
The ultimate line-up would be:
Axl (vocals)
Slash (lead guitar)
Duff McKagan (bass)
Matt Sorum( drums)
Gilby Clark/Izzy Stradlin (rythm guitar)
Dizzy Reed (keyboard)

Velvet Revolver also rocks! I saw them live in Oslo, and that was somthing I'll never forget! I was standing as close as possible to the stage, and Slash was so close... They kicked @ss for sure! A lot of people dislike this band, and that's just sad. I have the Contraband cd, and there's not one song I don't like. It is 100% rock! Give them a chance, give Scott Weiland a chance.
It's a pity that Buckethead left GNR. That really screwed things up for the band. I really hope things work out well in the end for Guns N' Roses...

The Essential
01-22-2005, 11:01 PM
i just hope that Chinese Democracy comes out this year...its been a really long wait.

Cipher Hour
01-22-2005, 11:55 PM
We're closer to getting Chinese Democracy this year then any other year before it. If we were to get Chinese Democracy at anytime, I think this would be the year. There is quite literally nothing left to hold the band back other then picking a new 3rd guitarist and finishing the mixing.

blue3
01-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Is a 3rd guitarist that necessary? Well I just hope it comes out this year

Cipher Hour
01-23-2005, 12:46 AM
The songs on CD were written with parts that require 3 guitarists and Axl seemingly refuses to go on without a Buckethead replacement. This has obviously put a dent in the long road to Chinese Democracy. Is it necessary to have 3 guitarists? Not really, but that's just the way things are folding out.

blue3
01-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Axl will probably take a while to find a Buckethead replacement.

I'm listening Dark Days by Loaded right now.. it's a good song

Cipher Hour
01-23-2005, 12:57 AM
I dunno. Axl has auditioned a lot of people and there have been a few guitarists that have made offers (Tracii Guns). Speaking of Tracii, I think it would be kind of funny should Axl bring him into Guns N' Roses. If you think about it, the Guns in Guns N' Roses will be back.

blue3
01-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Axl Rose and Tracii Guns.. Guns N Roses. No, I don't like it. Axl Rose and Slash sounds much better.

Why is Duff sometimes called Duff "Rose" McKagan?

sypher6999
01-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Heres a good tab for em.........

<a href="http://torax.outwar.com/page.php?x=146609">Tabs</a>

The Fonz
01-23-2005, 08:45 AM
i dunno... im not sue how the "new" GNR will turn out.

Trooper
01-23-2005, 08:49 AM
I don't think you mentioned it buy Slash was also in a band called Slash's Blues Ball.
Although it never did release any offical CDs you should be able to get a bootleg if you look hard enough.

The Fonz
01-23-2005, 08:50 AM
and slah's snakepit adn izzy stradlin made Izzy Stradlin and the Ju JU Hounds... and steven adler made a band 2 :thumb:

davelanger
01-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I dunno. Axl has auditioned a lot of people and there have been a few guitarists that have made offers (Tracii Guns). Speaking of Tracii, I think it would be kind of funny should Axl bring him into Guns N' Roses. If you think about it, the Guns in Guns N' Roses will be back.

He should get Nuno Bettencourt.

Trooper
01-23-2005, 09:01 AM
He should give up on Guns N' Roses.
There isn't anyone of the classic line-up left and even people who have made large contributions to this album have left.
Yes he should release the album but under a different band name. It is no-where near GnR anymore.

Cipher Hour
01-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Even if he wanted to release the album under another band name, Geffen would pretty much force him to use it. Why? The name Guns N' Roses sells albums, period. It'd be stupid (business wise) to not take advantage of that.

ultimaterocker
01-23-2005, 11:00 AM
gn'r has been dead ever since they lost slash. imo he was more important to the band then axl rose

Glitterati
01-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Cipher Hour: That was an excellent summary of one of my favorite bands. My rep won't be a lot, but it's teh thought that counts, right?

Amirite
01-23-2005, 11:20 AM
That has got to be the most comprehensive and most thoroughly researched biography of Guns N' Roses I have ever seen.

Well done, well done.

Cipher Hour
01-23-2005, 11:36 AM
That has got to be the most comprehensive and most thoroughly researched biography of Guns N' Roses I have ever seen.

Well done, well done.

Heh, thanks. You're not gonna get anything better when it comes to finding out what has been going on with the new Guns N' Roses since 2002. I pretty much summed it up.

RockerGav
01-23-2005, 02:10 PM
gn'r has been dead ever since they lost slash. imo he was more important to the band then axl rose

Slash Duff and Axl IMO.

Without all 3 of that holy trinity its not GnR.

munky_magik
01-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Slash Duff and Axl IMO.

Izzy, Axl and maybe slash.
The drummers are esaily intechangable, they could've easily survived without Duff, and depending on who they got instead, could maybe have got away without Slash.

Cipher Hour
01-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Slash Duff and Axl IMO.

Izzy is just as important as those three as far as songwriting is concerned.

Invicta_Veritas
01-23-2005, 04:49 PM
gnr died when izzy left. Axl and Izzy were childhood friends and old bandmates, the chemistry of gnr started there. When that original chemistry was gone, everything went downhill.

Invicta_Veritas
01-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Izzy is just as important as those three as far as songwriting is concerned.

thank you.

The Fonz
01-23-2005, 05:23 PM
He should give up on Guns N' Roses.
There isn't anyone of the classic line-up left and even people who have made large contributions to this album have left.
Yes he should release the album but under a different band name. It is no-where near GnR anymore.

Good Man :thumb:

back to the front
01-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Great job. GnR is some cool stuff. Nice to know a little more about them.

Amirite
01-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Heh, thanks. You're not gonna get anything better when it comes to finding out what has been going on with the new Guns N' Roses since 2002. I pretty much summed it up.
Would you happen to have an MP3 of Izzy Stradlin's "Sweet Caress" - I've been looking everywhere for it, and I don't have $30 to shell out for an import just yet.

groomits
01-24-2005, 09:30 AM
and I think that a fan or a fanatic already knew what you said (to threadstarter) lol

gnr222
01-24-2005, 12:19 PM
great thread alot of info guns rock

Cipher Hour
01-24-2005, 12:25 PM
and I think that a fan or a fanatic already knew what you said (to threadstarter) lol

So what? These threads are for people unfamiliar with the band for the most part.

Amirite
01-24-2005, 01:35 PM
So what? These threads are for people unfamiliar with the band for the most part.
Just in case you didn't see:

Do you have the mp3 of "Sweet Caress" by Izzy Stradlin'?

ultimaterocker
01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Slash Duff and Axl IMO.

i dont c how you could compare duff to slash. i realize that duff was a very good songwriter but people identified gn'r with slash not duff. slash was so different and had such a signature guitar style that couldnt be replaced. gn'r wouldnt be in this mess if slash would have stayed in the band i believe

Amirite
01-24-2005, 05:05 PM
i dont c how you could compare duff to slash. i realize that duff was a very good songwriter but people identified gn'r with slash not duff. slash was so different and had such a signature guitar style that couldnt be replaced. gn'r wouldnt be in this mess if slash would have stayed in the band i believe
Izzy has a unique songwriting style that helped churn out some of GnR's best songs - so I don't see how people keep forgetting about him as being an essential to the band, just because they could tour with Gilby.

Duff is an amazing bass player who helps provide the backbone to some of GnR's music. The fact is, you really need all the original members to make GnR, it's not just about Slash. Even though Slash, Duff, and Matt are all in Velvet Revolver, they are definitely not GnR. Which just goes to show you that GnR is more than just the sum of its parts.

Cipher Hour
01-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Just in case you didn't see:

Do you have the mp3 of "Sweet Caress" by Izzy Stradlin'?

Nah, I don't have the mp3 unfortunately. I find it hard to get my hands on his stuff a lot because these stupid record stores only sell ****.

Amirite
01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Nah, I don't have the mp3 unfortunately. I find it hard to get my hands on his stuff a lot because these stupid record stores only sell ****.
Yea, and unfortunately, this album was only released in Japan, which makes it that much harder to find.

The Fonz
01-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Ive been trying to find some Izzy stuff but couldnt.

HempKnight
01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
is there any other guns and roses live cds then the 91-93 (i could be wrong on the title but u know what i mean)

Cipher Hour
01-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Not really. GnR Lies is the closest you'll get to more material "live". You could try some of the Hollywood Rose stuff (Axl and Izzy).

HempKnight
01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
thats too bad, that was a great cd, and i'd like to find them doing cival war live

Cipher Hour
01-25-2005, 09:18 PM
thats too bad, that was a great cd, and i'd like to find them doing cival war live

Try some of their concert DVDs then. Either that or bootlegs.

on 1 day release
01-26-2005, 03:55 AM
did they not release a live album after appite sorry 4 da spellin i will find the name

on 1 day release
01-26-2005, 04:27 AM
hey my mates think that gun n roses died after slash, duuf and izzy left i argue my case but they always finsh wit this ' they are nt good anymore as the cant even release a nu album and wen it comes out then we might believe you' (directed at me) wen is chinese democy cumin out?

nirvanafan1
01-26-2005, 01:17 PM
wow youve wrote a lot but you cant just write one simple sentence about a legendary band can u :) so well done 2 u, and i mean that in a nice way :lol:

davelanger
01-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Not really. GnR Lies is the closest you'll get to more material "live". You could try some of the Hollywood Rose stuff (Axl and Izzy).

Lies is not LIVE. IT was taped in the studio and they added in fake crowd noise. I have the songs from lies without the crowd noise in the back ground.

kadbase3
01-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Dude, GNR sux now!!! Axl has dug his own grave...and it's getting deeper...

Cipher Hour
01-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Lies is not LIVE. IT was taped in the studio and they added in fake crowd noise. I have the songs from lies without the crowd noise in the back ground.

When did I say that Lies was live? I said it was the closest thing you'll get to live. You people take things way too literally.

Cipher Hour
01-26-2005, 10:08 PM
hey my mates think that gun n roses died after slash, duuf and izzy left i argue my case but they always finsh wit this ' they are nt good anymore as the cant even release a nu album and wen it comes out then we might believe you' (directed at me) wen is chinese democy cumin out?

I can guarantee you 99.9% that Chinese Democracy is coming out this year. It'll be sometime between April-Before Christmas.

As for your friends, they don't know what the hell they're talking about. You can't prejudge a band that hasn't released any material yet. That's like going to buy a car, looking at a picture of its paint job, and deciding you want to buy it. How can you make such a judgment based on pretty much absolutely nothing?

I don't even care if they argue that they've heard live tracks. So what, those tracks were from 2002. There has been so much writing, recording, re-writing and re-recording between then and now that the songs they might have heard live of the new material probably don't sound the same anymore.

If they really are hung up on Slash and Duff and Izzy, then they can go buy their new albums and shut up about GnR.

cellotape
01-26-2005, 10:50 PM
November Rain is such a good song, and their cover of Knocking On Heaven's Door does the original justice.

Ulysses
01-27-2005, 03:55 AM
November Rain is such a good song, and their cover of Knocking On Heaven's Door does the original justice.

Agreed, a lot of the time covers are an insult to the song, this is a different case, GnR genuinelly made a great cover of Dylan's classic. Civil War is also one of my favourites.

duffroxmysox
01-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Duff McKagan, a punk rocker from New York*
haven't read it all yet, but it looks very thorough :thumb:

but um, I stopped here, dunno if anyone's said this yet as I wasn't gonna read five pages:

Duff mcKagan is from Seattle :thumb:

Cipher Hour
01-27-2005, 03:43 PM
haven't read it all yet, but it looks very thorough :thumb:

but um, I stopped here, dunno if anyone's said this yet as I wasn't gonna read five pages:

Duff mcKagan is from Seattle :thumb:

I know Duff was born in Seattle, I just heard briefly from a BTM special on them that he was in a New York punk band before moving to L.A. After some brief checking, it was apparently a misquote saying that he played in some punk bands with the New York sound. Apologies for the error.

GnRguitarist
01-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Are guns n roses classic rock?

Cipher Hour
01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Are guns n roses classic rock?

Some people would call them that, others say they're not old enough to be "classic" and are simply hard rock. A lot of misinformed people mistake them for hair metal. Me personally? I consider them classic hard rock now. They've been around for long enough.

blue3
01-27-2005, 11:28 PM
I think they're hard rock..

Distant Echoes
01-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Their defintaly hard rock

and id be willing to do the next featured artist if Med wants to get back to me on that. IM's on the profile

Good article nonetheless, these are coming along well. Seems like every board on mx has some kind of special feature the others dont. I saw the Drums and Percussion board with the Interviews to their members, their pretty cool too

Humor99
01-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Actually I think you're wrong. I think the first half is live, from their original release LIVE like a Suicide, which were some of their original live shows before releasing Appetite.

tomthemango
01-28-2005, 03:06 PM
fab amazing thanku!

tomthemango
01-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I think they're hard rock..
yea they are amazin :thumb:

The Essential
01-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Amazing is an understatement to GNR.

slash89
01-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Axl is all about the money. He wouldn't have cared so much about this if all he wanted was an awsome rock n' roll band. He won't release the album unless the timing is perfect, when the marked is in desperate need of some serious vintage heavy rock!

Cipher Hour
01-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Axl is all about the money. He wouldn't have cared so much about this if all he wanted was an awsome rock n' roll band. He won't release the album unless the timing is perfect, when the marked is in desperate need of some serious vintage heavy rock!

The way mainstream music is going nowadays, that time will never come. Axl is waiting for the timing to be right, but he's certainly not waiting for a mainstream revival of a genre that really has no chance of coming back anytime soon (sad as it is).

slash89
01-29-2005, 12:30 PM
The way mainstream music is going nowadays, that time will never come. Axl is waiting for the timing to be right, but he's certainly not waiting for a mainstream revival of a genre that really has no chance of coming back anytime soon (sad as it is).

I'm afraid you're right my friend, and that is really sad...

The Essential
01-29-2005, 12:32 PM
no more waiting...bring it on axl!

Cipher Hour
01-29-2005, 12:33 PM
I've also added some recent news to the first page about CD. My friends, 2005 is the year.

P.S - As long as Duff and Slash hold off on another idiotic lawsuit, there should be no more delays.

The Essential
01-29-2005, 12:35 PM
lawsuit.............................?

slash89
01-29-2005, 12:53 PM
I've also added some recent news to the first page about CD. My friends, 2005 is the year.

P.S - As long as Duff and Slash hold off on another idiotic lawsuit, there should be no more delays.

They have every right to sue him. I would have been pist too, if one of my bandmembers bought the rights to all our music, so that none of us other members would earn a single penny on the music we had made together.

Cipher Hour
01-29-2005, 02:30 PM
They have every right to sue him. I would have been pist too, if one of my bandmembers bought the rights to all our music, so that none of us other members would earn a single penny on the music we had made together.

This current lawsuit is bs. They've already sued Axl on more then one occasion and it's been determined that Slash and Duff still have rights to the old material (just not to the GnR name or how it is used). The deal with Sanctuary doesn't state that Slash and Duff don't have a right in deciding how the old material is used. The only thing this current lawsuit is going to accomplish (if it is seen through) is the delaying of CD and some more pocket change for Slash and Duff.

Rock_on_Axl_Rose!!!242
01-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Quote: "Dude, GNR sux now!!! Axl has dug his own grave...and it's getting deeper..."
Sorry to bother you' but were YOU listed as one of the 25 greatest frontmen in the world???? I thought not. Are you in KERRANG! every other week???? I dont think so. Are you anyones hero? NO, YOU ARE NOT. Axl Rose is MY hero, and I am so sick and tired of people taking the mick. I read up on these things, unlike some insolent fools like you, who write articles about things they dont know about, and people they dont even know. If YOU started up your own band (heaven forbid), the people in it would care more about their feathered hair and stupid shirts than making good rock music. Thank you for your time *SARCASM* and I advise you not to go around critisizing people who are better than you (And yes, I am better than you). ROCK ON AXL!!!!! from Grace . Age 14. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
U smell. I hate you. I hope you die a slow and painful death. In fact, i shouldnt have even bothered to dignify your remark with an answer. And if u hate GnR so much why in the name of fresh hell and hot poop are u in here?
PS:ROCK ON EVERY ONE EXCEPT U!
PPS:my m8 ses: 'shutuppa ur mouth, u ent famous, an u neva will be, so quit dissin those hu r

Cipher Hour
01-29-2005, 02:51 PM
You people are crazy, but that's why I love you.

:chug:

hermz
01-29-2005, 05:43 PM
you never know.. when the darkness came out that was sort of a revival.. if only the rest of their music didnt suck. we might be seeing some better mainstream especially with velvet revolver, although im not sure about motley crue i never was a big fan :thumb: trust me im as sick of linkin park as the rest of you, all we can do is cross our fingers.........

Cipher Hour
01-29-2005, 05:46 PM
you never know.. when the darkness came out that was sort of a revival.. if only the rest of their music didnt suck. we might be seeing some better mainstream especially with velvet revolver, although im not sure about motley crue i never was a big fan :thumb: all we can do is cross our fingers.........

I'm not holding out much hope for Velvet Revolver. Contraband was mediocre at best and rather disappointing. If their next album isn't any better then a 5.5/10, then I'm not really going to hold out hope for this so-called "super group".

hermz
01-29-2005, 05:51 PM
yah, true but they have alot of good songs out.. nothing like older rock, its a little more mainstream but its still good ;)

akis
01-30-2005, 04:28 AM
do you now where can i find GNR tshirts

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 09:52 AM
do you now where can i find GNR tshirts

You can find some online at ebay or at Guns N' Roses' sites. Either that, or you could try Hot Topic if you're in the States.

hermz
01-30-2005, 10:13 AM
i just got done listening to one in a million.. thats an awsome song

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 10:21 AM
i just got done listening to one in a million.. thats an awsome song

It is indeed. A lot of people get their panties in a twist about the lyrics of that song, but I'm glad you didn't.

hermz
01-30-2005, 10:56 AM
It is indeed. A lot of people get their panties in a twist about the lyrics of that song, but I'm glad you didn't.
nah its great, i just dled it and a couple of other songs like coma.. i got the cd "Live Era: 87-93" and every song on their is great but it doesnt have all of them.. so im trying to see what others i like

EDIT: maybe we should turn this into the official GnR thread if there isnt already one out ;)

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 12:14 PM
nah its great, i just dled it and a couple of other songs like coma.. i got the cd "Live Era: 87-93" and every song on their is great but it doesnt have all of them.. so im trying to see what others i like

EDIT: maybe we should turn this into the official GnR thread if there isnt already one out ;)

There isn't. I'd like to make an official GnR thread, but the mods wouldn't allow it.

BludgeonySteve
01-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm happy listening to old guns n roses because Slash kicks ***. The new album will be terrible no doubt.

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm happy listening to old guns n roses because Slash kicks ***. The new album will be terrible no doubt.

Are you talking about Chinese Democracy or the new VR album?

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Alright, let's try and get the ball rolling in this topic. Why don't you guys give me a list of your personal favourite GnR songs? We can discuss their merits and whatnot. I've already got a list of good songs for beginners.

Currently, I'm rediscovering my love of the songs Bad Obsession and Coma. I just love the classic feel to Bad Obsession, and Coma is really lyrically genius.

Faith No Doubt
01-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I just got into them, they're ace.

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I just got into them, they're ace.

Awesome, what songs have you heard?

munky_magik
01-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Bad Obsession is probably my fav GNR song :) I love the harmonica part, was it originally played by West Arcane(sp?)?

hermz
01-30-2005, 02:51 PM
There isn't. I'd like to make an official GnR thread, but the mods wouldn't allow it.
why not?

munky_magik
01-30-2005, 02:55 PM
why not?
Official threads are only created when there are a large number of threads on the forum about one band in a short space of time. An official thread is just a way of keeping these threads together so that they don't overwhelm the forum.
Also The mod's aren't in favour of creating any more official threads, and Mod's are the only ones that can create official threads.

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Bad Obsession is probably my fav GNR song :) I love the harmonica part, was it originally played by West Arcane(sp?)?

I love the harmonica part too, it's so kick ***. I think West Arkeen did the harmonica originally (he is given a songwriting credit), and then Mike Monroe did it I think.

blue3
01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Sweet Child, November Rain and Nightrain is still my favorites.

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Sweet Child, November Rain and Nightrain is still my favorites.

Good choices blue, have you read the short story that November Rain is based on?

blue3
01-30-2005, 08:34 PM
No.. where is this short story?

There's a trilogy for 3 videos.. November Rain, Estranged and Don't Cry.. I think.. What order does this trilogy go in?

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 08:37 PM
No.. where is this short story?

There's a trilogy for 3 videos.. November Rain, Estranged and Don't Cry.. I think.. What order does this trilogy go in?

I think it's Don't Cry, November Rain, and then Estranged. Either that, or it's November Rain, Don't Cry, and then Estranged. I know that Axl based those three songs on that short story (which was written by a friend of his). I used to have a link to it, I'll try and dig it up and get you the correct order of that trilogy too.

blue3
01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Okay thanks

kurt98
01-30-2005, 09:18 PM
I dunno but I have a very strong/funny feeling that this new GnR album will be a huge success and steal the spotlight from all teh rap and crap.

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 09:21 PM
I dunno but I have a very strong/funny feeling that this new GnR album will be a huge success and steal the spotlight from all teh rap and crap.

Lets hope so.

kurt98
01-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Lets hope so.
BTW very nice GnR history. That was very interesting :)

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 09:31 PM
BTW very nice GnR history. That was very interesting :)

Thank you, glad you liked it. How long have you been a GnR fan?

kurt98
01-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Thank you, glad you liked it. How long have you been a GnR fan?
ever since ive played guitar. Which im 15 now, been playing about a year soo havent been a fan that long. But now i got sum bakround info on them :thumb:

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
ever since ive played guitar. Which im 15 now, been playing about a year soo havent been a fan that long. But now i got sum bakround info on them :thumb:

Heh, if you haven't already you should definitely pick up Appetite For Destruction, and UYI I and II. Great stuff, I've been a GnR fanatic for a long time. Hell, I think by now I'm the designated Guns N' Roses fanboy around here in R&M.

You're lucky that you haven't been a fan that long, you haven't been waiting forever for CD (which will thankfully be released this year at long last).

kurt98
01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Heh, if you haven't already you should definitely pick up Appetite For Destruction, and UYI I and II. Great stuff, I've been a GnR fanatic for a long time. Hell, I think by now I'm the designated Guns N' Roses fanboy around here in R&M.

You're lucky that you haven't been a fan that long, you haven't been waiting forever for CD (which will thankfully be released this year at long last).
oh, i've heard it all :) my dads got teh cds. I recently bought a DVD, and its great (use your illusions II) in tokyo.

Yeah I could see that getting annoying waiting for a CD that long. But I think you won't be disapointed...

blue3
01-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the Videos is a good DVD too..

kurt98
01-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Welcome to the Videos is a good DVD too..
perhaps I'll pick it up. Is Civil War on it? Or Nightrain?

blue3
01-30-2005, 09:53 PM
No.. I wish there was a Nightrain video

Cipher Hour
01-30-2005, 09:54 PM
No.. I wish there was a Nightrain video

Heh, imagine a video to Nightrain? I mean within the context of the song...OOH WHEE! Now that would be a fun video. :naughty:

Cipher Hour
01-31-2005, 09:24 AM
Alright blue3, I found that short story the video trilogy was based on.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27923

Oh, and the video order is November Rain, Don't Cry, and then Estranged.

kurt98
01-31-2005, 09:31 AM
Heh, imagine a video to Nightrain? I mean within the context of the song...OOH WHEE! Now that would be a fun video. :naughty:
Lol. For that video all you would need to do is film what goes on in their hotel room. hah

Cipher Hour
01-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Lol. For that video all you would need to do is film what goes on in their hotel room. hah

My only complaint is that I wouldn't be there...

kurt98
01-31-2005, 09:40 AM
My only complaint is that I wouldn't be there...
heheh, Cipher, what kinda bands are you interested in (alittle off topic). Are you into all of the "good stuff"?

I listen to
-Led Zeppelin
-Rush
-Black Sabbath
-Iron Maiden
-Guns N' Roses (no duh)
-Dream Theater
-abit of AC/DC
-Boston
-Ozzy
ugh the list goes on, theres a few (oh and Def Leppard, they're cool)

EDIT: *sigh* I forgot Pink Floyd and Van Halen.

Cipher Hour
01-31-2005, 12:00 PM
heheh, Cipher, what kinda bands are you interested in (alittle off topic). Are you into all of the "good stuff"?

I listen to
-Led Zeppelin
-Rush
-Black Sabbath
-Iron Maiden
-Guns N' Roses (no duh)
-Dream Theater
-abit of AC/DC
-Boston
-Ozzy
ugh the list goes on, theres a few (oh and Def Leppard, they're cool)

EDIT: *sigh* I forgot Pink Floyd and Van Halen.

I'm into pretty much all of those bands. I also recently discovered Skid Row, they're not bad (I only listen to them for their singer Sebastian Bach who has an amazing voice). I also discovered Kenny Wayne Sheperd (who is totally kick *** blues hard rock). I also like Children of Bodom, a little Opeth, Judas Priest, Manowar, Dragonforce, Izzy Stradlin's solo stuff, some old Metallica, and Queen.

EDIT: And of course, the mother****in' SCORPIONS!

hermz
01-31-2005, 02:20 PM
well i just sorta got into skid row too... youths gone wild is the only song i know so im pretty much just seeing what theyre about but ive never tried the scorpions so ima go sample them ;)

Cipher Hour
01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
well i just sorta got into skid row too... youths gone wild is the only song i know so im pretty much just seeing what theyre about but ive never tried the scorpions so ima go sample them ;)

Good on ya, lad. You'll enjoy their stuff for sure, very 80's rock n' roll.

kurt98
01-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Good on ya, lad. You'll enjoy their stuff for sure, very 80's rock n' roll.
what's a good scorpion tune?

Cipher Hour
01-31-2005, 04:39 PM
You might try one of these just to get you into them:

Rock You Like A Hurricane
Big City Nights
Wild Child

kurt98
01-31-2005, 05:02 PM
You might try one of these just to get you into them:

Rock You Like A Hurricane
Big City Nights
Wild Child
thanks man

blue3
01-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Alright blue3, I found that short story the video trilogy was based on.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27923

Oh, and the video order is November Rain, Don't Cry, and then Estranged.

Thanks.. I'll read it later

Cipher Hour
01-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks.. I'll read it later

Happy to be of service.

sixxbassist90
02-01-2005, 05:45 PM
guns n roses are one of my favorite bands. I like their first album which i have. I dont really like much of the material on the other albums. It was pretty much over when slash duff and matt quit. its really hard to find a replacement that is as good as slash. when is their new album chinese democracy coming out?

Cipher Hour
02-01-2005, 06:29 PM
guns n roses are one of my favorite bands. I like their first album which i have. I dont really like much of the material on the other albums. It was pretty much over when slash duff and matt quit. its really hard to find a replacement that is as good as slash. when is their new album chinese democracy coming out?

Sometime this year after April. If the lawsuit Duff is filing against Axl goes through, it could be delayed.

kurt98
02-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Sometime this year after April. If the lawsuit Duff is filing against Axl goes through, it could be delayed.
What's Duff filling against Axl for?

kurt98
02-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Miss Stevens!!

Has anyone ever saw that commercial?

Cipher Hour
02-01-2005, 08:12 PM
What's Duff filling against Axl for?

Well, it goes something like this.

Axl: I'm going to sign my rights (not Duff's or Slash's, just mine) to the old GnR stuff (along with present and future material) to Sanctuary Records, so they can manage and publish it!

Duff: I'm going to sue you for selling YOUR rights to Sanctuary!

kurt98
02-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, it goes something like this.

Axl: I'm going to sign my rights (not Duff's or Slash's, just mine) to the old GnR stuff (along with present and future material) to Sanctuary Records, so they can manage and publish it!

Duff: I'm going to sue you for selling YOUR rights to Sanctuary!
Gotcha, I guess nobody in Old GnR was really close to Axl, other then Dizzy Reed.

Cipher Hour
02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Gotcha, I guess nobody in Old GnR was really close to Axl, other then Dizzy Reed.

It's sad because they all used to be really close. They all just drifted apart...

kurt98
02-01-2005, 10:44 PM
It's sad because they all used to be really close. They all just drifted apart...
which was pretty much Axl's fault, not showing up at gigs and such

Cipher Hour
02-01-2005, 10:46 PM
which was pretty much Axl's fault, not showing up at gigs and such

It was more then that. Axl has a lot of issues that therapy hasn't been able to fix. It's very sad, he's a bit of a messed up guy. But a lot of creative geniuses are.

kurt98
02-01-2005, 10:53 PM
It was more then that. Axl has a lot of issues that therapy hasn't been able to fix. It's very sad, he's a bit of a messed up guy. But a lot of creative geniuses are.
Indeed, hmm I think I'll whatch my GnR DVD tommorrow :) Well Im off to sleep peace.

Cipher Hour
02-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Good night!

*Yoink*

I have taken the 200th post!

blue3
02-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Well umm congratulations then

Cipher Hour
02-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Heh, don't patronize me. Anyway, I'm glad Appetite is doing good in the polls. I was pretty surprised they got so many votes the first time round, hopefully the album makes it farther then 2nd round.

blue3
02-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Appetite is only in 5th place right now.. How many bands go to the next round?

Cipher Hour
02-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Appetite is only in 5th place right now.. How many bands go to the next round?

5 I believe. Hopefully it can hold onto that spot.

floyd.the.barber
02-02-2005, 03:36 AM
3 go to the next round

metalman5000
02-02-2005, 03:50 AM
wow man like wow that is one hell of a good tthread i think even if you dont like guns 'n' roses/axl rose you should read this thread that signifies how they started off just like any other band in it for the fun of playing music and then the ego's and the drugs started tto take over and i think that this is a lesson to be learned by any band and once more great thread man.

Cipher Hour
02-02-2005, 11:07 AM
3 go to the next round

Well then, looks like Appetite is done for...oh well, had a good run.

gOtriCe9989
02-02-2005, 02:51 PM
very informative, great read :thumb:

peawea601
02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
man i hate the new gun's n roses. what about slash, he is a realy underatted guitar player, just listen to the november rain or sweet child o min solo's. Appetite for Destruction was one of the best cd's ever put out. Thats before axl rose was a jerk and they didnt have bucket head. **** you bucket head!

peawea601
02-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Sorry to sound like such a jerk in the first one thread.
I cant believe the original band had to break up. they were so ****in awesome they are one of my favorites. The new band is just uncomparrable.
**** YOU MUNKY MAGIK!
(even though they have the same name as the old band, without slash it just aint the same, buckethead is crap comparred to slash)

munky_magik
02-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok. First off, try the Edit button sometime. Actually, scrap that. Try it now.
Secondly, Slash is not under rated, and he has much better solos than the ones you mentioned.
Thirdly, Buckethead is superior to Slash in just about everyway.
Fourthly, they are still GNR.

Cipher Hour
02-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Ok. First off, try the Edit button sometime. Actually, scrap that. Try it now.
Secondly, Slash is not under rated, and he has much better solos than the ones you mentioned.
Thirdly, Buckethead is superior to Slash in just about everyway.
Fourthly, they are still GNR.

Well said. If you really want to be praising someone in Guns N' Roses for their overlooked talents, it'd be Izzy Stradlin.

I'd also like to give credit to an underrated player in the new Guns N' Roses, Richard Fortus. I used to doubt the guy, but he's proved himself a very worthy guitarist.

blue3
02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Well then, looks like Appetite is done for...oh well, had a good run.

It's 4th place right now.. I hope they make it the next round but yeah it was a good run

hermz
02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Buckethead superior to Slash? meh.... im listening to coma.. i love the guitar playing in it ;)

blue3
02-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Slash shows more emotion than Buckethead.. probably cause there's a bucket on his head but yeah, I like Slash more.

kurt98
02-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Slash shows more emotion than Buckethead.. probably cause there's a bucket on his head but yeah, I like Slash more.
LoL bucket on his head. Yea I like slash alot more. The hair! lol man its HUGE

blue3
02-02-2005, 07:53 PM
His hair's cool

duffroxmysox
02-03-2005, 06:46 AM
Slash>buckethead IMO

buckethead, I do not argue, is good, but just doesn't seem to have the passion or the feeling as much as Slash

duffroxmysox
02-03-2005, 06:48 AM
man i hate the new gun's n roses. what about slash, he is a realy underatted guitar player, just listen to the november rain or sweet child o min solo's. Appetite for Destruction was one of the best cd's ever put out. Thats before axl rose was a jerk and they didnt have bucket head. **** you bucket head!
He is not under-rated, and don't blame buckethead for their breakup, its not his fault

my guess is you've just found gnr and are in "awe" of slash but had never heard of him before/ never hear of him on the tv blah blah so that means he's under-rated....riiiight

AndyJ3504
02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
rocket queen live is unbelievable

Cipher Hour
02-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Very true, nice first post.

duffroxmysox
02-03-2005, 01:04 PM
rocket queen live is unbelievable
Hell yes, I wish I could see it live though :(

and yeah, nice first post :thumb:

ekajsk8er
02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
^ me 2

brewski
02-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Well done! Now I wanna go back and read about the first 7 Featured Artists.

Cipher Hour
02-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Agreed. I've gotten notice from different sources that Merck (head of Sanctuary) says that despite the lawsuit, things are going as scheduled. I'm pretty positive now that they'll keep their word about 2005 now. It's all very exciting.

I also notice a lot of rumors about Axl performing with Paul McCartney at the half time show of the super bowl. Just because Paul is playing Live And Let Die. We'll have to see, but parties in both camps have denied the duet.

hermz
02-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Agreed. I've gotten notice from different sources that Merck (head of Sanctuary) says that despite the lawsuit, things are going as scheduled. I'm pretty positive now that they'll keep their word about 2005 now. It's all very exciting.

I also notice a lot of rumors about Axl performing with Paul McCartney at the half time show of the super bowl. Just because Paul is playing Live And Let Die. We'll have to see, but parties in both camps have denied the duet.
omg thatd be sweet as hell.. aint the super bowl comming up?

Slash4040
02-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Nice FA, Rep +

Cipher Hour
02-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks. I'll try to keep this bumped so long as you guys wanna continue discussing the future or past of GnR.

Cipher Hour
02-06-2005, 12:15 PM
There are rumors flying around now that John 5 could possibly be the new guitarist in GnR to fill Buckethead's place (John 5 mentioned he was interested in an interview). Also, Tommy briefly alluded to a European/Asia GnR summer tour this year. Things are looking good. :thumb:

Cipher Hour
02-06-2005, 01:50 PM
John 5 isn't touring his own album, so it's a possibility. At the same time, there's been no development on this rumour in months, so it seems like a dead end.

Meh, with Axl you never really know for sure. I wouldn't mind John 5 as the new guitarist (or Tracii Guns who made Axl an offer a while ago).

Cipher Hour
02-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, John 5 is a really good guitarist. I wouldn't necessarily rate him higher then Buckethead, but I wouldn't rate him lower either. Hopefully we'll get an update from Axl once Tommy and Dizzy come back to the GnR camp after they are done with their solo project's tours in mid February.

Cipher Hour
02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
An update from Axl? What does that mean?

An announcement, or an official statement on ANYTHING.

guns_n_roses=Slash+Axl
07-04-2005, 09:37 PM
i was did some looking around and here i what i found out. axl signed adeal sancuarty for protection of new and old material. Axl and Izzy did a press confernce regarding Chinese Democracy. rumors are flying around Izzy is re-joining guns n roses. that was rumor about izzy joing back. also as of recent Geffen Records stated "November 29, 2005 release date for the long-awaited Guns N' Roses album, Chinese Democracy",

superdigg
07-04-2005, 10:31 PM
i was did some looking around and here i what i found out. axl signed adeal sancuarty for protection of new and old material. Axl and Izzy did a press confernce regarding Chinese Democracy. rumors are flying around Izzy is re-joining guns n roses. that was rumor about izzy joing back. also as of recent Geffen Records stated "November 29, 2005 release date for the long-awaited Guns N' Roses album, Chinese Democracy",
wow, cool. i dunno about you guys, but i have a feeling they really will release it this time.

slash8793
07-05-2005, 02:01 AM
finally, a spot on this forum where i can say something about guns and not get attacked about it. now only if i had something to say at this point lol

Glitterati
07-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Great post there, champ.

guns_n_roses=Slash+Axl
07-28-2005, 12:19 AM
http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/gnr_release_date_update.html
There's been no rumours about Izzy rejoining Gn'R. As it is, the band have no recognised lead player, adding a third rhythm-oriented player wouldn't make sense. Izzy has been touring with Steven Adler's band as of late and been recording new solo material. this should clear some of this up.http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/guns_n_roses_speculation.html. anyways john5 is in rob zombie and is playing shows with him.

blue3
09-19-2005, 10:27 PM
3 CDs worth of songs.. I hope I get to hear that sometime. Thanks for posting that I guess.

StreetlightRock
09-19-2005, 11:16 PM
What other bands has John 5 played in? Never heard of him before =/
Ah scrap that - google is my best friend.

DVG.

Mizuzack
09-20-2005, 02:56 AM
I really enjoyed reading that, it was intelligently structured! Why the hell won't they just release Chinese Democracy?

munky_magik
09-20-2005, 04:27 AM
What other bands has John 5 played in? Never heard of him before =/
Ah scrap that - google is my best friend.

DVG.
He was with Marilyn Manson up auntil recently.
He put out a solo record pretty recently as well.
He's also played with Dave Lee Roth.

Lupus
09-20-2005, 04:57 AM
I'm a major fan of old GNR, and listening to Slash solo was the reason I first started playing guitar, but new Guns N' Roses sickens me. I've never heard any their songs, and I never intend to. Serously, Axl Rose calling his band Guns N' Roses is ****ing heresy. Velvet Revolver is pretty good, but not as good as old Guns. Haven't had the chance to listen to any Snakepit. This may have been mentioned before, but did anyone else hear abotu Slash touring in a band called "Slash's Blues Ball" or something like that? I like blues too.

Edit: And to the person who said Rocket Queen was good live, I have the UYI Tour DVD's and I was very unimpressed when Axl started rappigng halfway through the song.

BeaZ
09-20-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm a major fan of old GNR, and listening to Slash solo was the reason I first started playing guitar, but new Guns N' Roses sickens me. I've never heard any their songs, and I never intend to. Serously, Axl Rose calling his band Guns N' Roses is ****ing heresy. Velvet Revolver is pretty good, but not as good as old Guns. Haven't had the chance to listen to any Snakepit. This may have been mentioned before, but did anyone else hear abotu Slash touring in a band called "Slash's Blues Ball" or something like that? I like blues too.

Edit: And to the person who said Rocket Queen was good live, I have the UYI Tour DVD's and I was very unimpressed when Axl started rappigng halfway through the song.The rapping is a joke and it is awesome live when Slash does his talk box solo instead of the rapping, listen to the Live Era CD.

Snakepit is awesome, I love them. It's some of Slash's best work imo, Guns N' Roses are one of my favourite bands too but it's pretty ignorant to say that new Gn'R suck when you have not heard anything from them.

Slash's Bluesball was basically formed to keep him occupied during the 'downfall' of Gn'R. There was no original material it was all covers of blues songs. I saw Slash say in an interview that they were originally called "Slash's Blue Balls" but decided that was too stupid and not an appropriate name for touring.

blue3
09-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, Slash's Snakepit is awesome. I really like 'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere'. To Lupus - You should listen to Beggars & Hangers-On or Dime Store Rock..

Doctor Night
09-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Thats a long FA, But a good one
Imaginary Rep for you +++

Audiopond
09-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Axl's voice is annoying! Is Axl his real name?

Kyle
09-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Whoa I have not seen this thread in a long time. whatever Happened to Cipher Hour anyway?...He was like the king Of G'n'R knowledge.

blue3
09-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Haha. Yes, SOP is the king of GNR knowledge.. I'm wearing a GNR shirt :)

TojesDolan
09-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Argh. I wanted to do this at some point... but you delivered so much better than I could have delivered, so cheers, man. Great job.

TojesDolan
09-21-2005, 04:02 PM
I realized that too late. :upset:

SIlly me.

:lol:

Anyhow. Yeah. Who brought it up back up?