PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez SR 490

Ich Habe Sheisse
11-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Well...

Features:

Ibanez SR 490 4 string bass, purchased in January 2004 for $405 USD.

Natural mahogany body
5 piece wenge/walnut SR4 neck
Rosewood fretboard
Abalone oval inlays
24 frets
Ibanez dxp and dxj pickups
EQB-III 3-band eq
Accu-cast B20 bridge
Cosmo black hardware

Completely sufficient for my needs. I might end up switching out some of the electronics components, though. I especially like the bridge, as the one-screw format allows for extremely easy action adjustment. I wouldn't have it any other way. Although recently, the finish has begun to wear off around the E side of it... weird, considering how little I handle the bridge, in comparison to the tuners, which have shown no wear. It really doesn't bother me at all, but it's something to point out.

Sound:

It's awesome. Oh yes.

The best thing about this bass is its versatility, and sensitivity to technique. This bass is my bitch, plain and simple. It does what I tell it to. Using both pickups lends a very useful do-it-all sound, sufficient for slap, great for tapping and jazz fingerstyle. When I do jazz stuff, I look for a Stefan Lessard kind of warm 'bop', which is definitely present, but not executed quite in the manner of a Modulus. I really don't use the bridge pickup solo, except when I want really bright, loud harmonics. That kind of sound tends to sacrifice all my low-end, so I usually have the pickups balanced at 50/50 for harmonics. The neck pickup is usually my favorite. It has a very cool vintage-esque slap sound that I dig more than the hi-fi kind I get with both pickups. I rarely use a pick, but this bass lends itself well to 'that' tone, especially when I've got my amp cranked. Fingerstyle is awesome, of course, and provides the sound I use most in my band.

Fit & Finish:

The feel of this bass is absolutely beyond compare. I've really bonded with the SR neck shape. It is REDICULOUSLY fast. I love the satin finish couple with the wenge and walnut.

But the body finish is a different story. It's some kind of oil finish, and it does NOTHING to protect the wood. The shit scratches like nobody's business. There are small dings all over the body, and one substantial scratch on the back of the bass that is about 4 inches long. GRRRR.

Overall:

Ibanez makes a great product, plain and simple. The SR 490 is a player's instrument. It really does all that you can ask of an instrument at this price. My only regret is that I didn't get the 6-string version while it was still out. If you ever happen upon one of these beauties, grab it and never let it go.

5/5

Edit: Pics!

http://bb.1asphost.com/EluThingol/Greymantle/DCP_0266.jpg

http://bb.1asphost.com/EluThingol/Greymantle/DCP_0264.jpg

Mitchell Royce
11-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Swap the electronics an pups out for EMG's and you will not believe how much better that thing will sound. I did it to my SR400 and soloing the bridge pickup is defintly not a problem anymore. It will make this great bass much better.

ridethelightning
12-05-2004, 06:50 PM
why emgs? why not barts? how much did it cost. ive got the sr400 in the oil finish

Mitchell Royce
12-11-2004, 04:08 PM
I said EMG's because that's what I put in mine for 2 reasons:
1) The SR400 isn't shielded. Instead of shielding along with getting new pickups I decided on getting the shielded EMG's.
2) From the reviews I've read it came out that barts bassically lack in the treble department. EMG's on the other hand don't and are fairly balanced across the entire spectrum. If I don't want the trebel in there I'll take it out with my EQ. Like the saying goes "it's easier to take frequencies out than it is to put them in.
Lastly, I also got the EMG BQC EQ put in as well. I figured that that was my best bet in terms of a very powerful EQ in my bass(I now leave my amp EQ flat). All in all I paid 380 euros with installation. It was worth it.
Honestly, I think barts get hiped way too much in this forum. They're not the end-all, be-all of pickups by any means.

Ich Habe Sheisse
12-13-2004, 04:49 AM
**** near, though.

I dunno, I'd probably go with EMG P-Js and an Aguilar OBP-3 when I finally get around to it.

Ich Habe Sheisse
12-13-2004, 04:51 AM
Also, ridethelightning, look closer. It's there.

jurialmunkey
12-16-2004, 02:18 PM
I think he means how much did the pickups cost..

I've got an SR400 and I must say that this line of basses are great. The slim neck is so fast and they just have such a unique tone that I love. I have to agree that the standard pickups don't leave much room for tone variation but do the job fine. The strap-pegs are bit crap though.

Its a great bass for modification sake. Nothing beats the neck on these babies and thats what I love; Live playing is where I live and this bass is perfect (just make sure you either put in strap locks or gaffer tape your strap on!! - especially if you jump around as much as I do.)

I picked mine up 2nd Hand (in perfect condition with the pickup stickers still on!) for AUD$230 (US$160 - Retail list price in Australia is $AUD899 so it was a bargain.)

Alma
12-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Very nice looking bass :)

BigBossBassist
01-15-2005, 11:44 AM
how much does this beast cost?

Ich Habe Sheisse
01-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Check the first line under 'Features'. :)

dan02345
02-10-2005, 08:32 PM
i have the sr 495...cept it has soap bars bartonlini(sp) pick ups in it

twopelu
06-26-2005, 09:38 AM
The one with soapbars has any significant diference to this one, with J and P pickups combination?

Led_Zeppelin678
06-26-2005, 07:38 PM
All those nice woods, and then a rosewood fretboard. This is why I hate Ibanez and Schecter, it's a disgrace. Ebony or wenge, and then maybe I'll check one out.

Ich Habe Sheisse
06-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Why do you insist on being such an asshole? Fucking elitists.

Radiobass81
06-29-2005, 05:12 PM
One of the few SR's I like. All the others... Meh.

GREAT review :thumb:.

makroman
12-13-2008, 01:35 AM
I bought one of these probably around 4 years ago brand new at sam ash. I thought it was a decent sounding bass at the time, although I was using a cheap Behringer amp. I quit playing and then recently started back to playing again and I got a really nice ampeg amp. To my surprise this bass sounded like @$$. I thought maybe it was the amp, but before trying a different amp I tried out the newer model "SR 500" I think it's called now? (only diff is Bartolini pick-ups) Well evrey one of these that i tried out sounded the same....just like @$$

Oh, and those who like the nice thin neck might want to think again. My sister knocked mine over ( It did NOT hit hard at all......have had many basses fall over before with maybe a little scratch on it) well, what happened was the neck broke right into!!!! Oh, well it is made in Korea! I would say you get what you pay for , but I paid and so didn't you if you bought one of these.....WAYYY TOOO MUCH!! If you dont think so then try this out. Pick up a Gibson guitar or bass that is made from Mahogany and see the difference in wood quality!

After all this happened, I bought a used bass that was about the same price as I paid for the Ibanez when it was new and it sounds miles better.....can you read this???? FAR Better!!! of course it is a real WARWICK! Put it this way....From 1 to 10 ...10 being the best. The Warwick is a 9.5 and the Ibanez is a 3 at best. So please, people who have never played a real instrument should never give any reviews until they find out and realize that they posted a review thinking what they have sounds good and it is nothing but a cheap bass trying to copy the looks (and thats all it is, is looks) of a real bass.

DaveMustaine12
12-28-2008, 01:12 AM
I know what you are saying^^^. I hate thin necks that's why I dislike Ibanez. Korean quality isn't that great IMO, but I base it off of the fact that I used to have 2 Schecters made in Korea. Both had problems with the preamp.