PDA

View Full Version : My first battle of the bands.

FishSauce
11-23-2004, 08:08 PM
So yeah, this will be my first battle of the bands. I have never been to a battle of the bands before. What should I expect our competition to be? Will most of these bands be covering or playing originals? I don't wanna look bad on stage. I just wanna plan this and maybe you guys can help choose some good songs to play (punk-rock/rock). Any tips or suggestions wouls be greatly appreciated.

Or maybe you guys can post some battle of the bands experiences?

Thanksalot.

unclebobscircus
11-24-2004, 11:21 AM
If this is a high-school thing, expect a lot of covers. If not, there should be a lot of original material with a few covers mixed in-between.

A good song I recommend learning (one that most people haven't heard) is The Red And The Black by Blue Oyster Cult. Probably the best words I have to describe it is organized chaos. Just download it or buy a BOC cd (it's off of Tyranny And Mutation, it's on their greatest hits too).

RushHourSoul
11-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Tell us about your band, what you play, how long you have on-stageetc etc

It shouldn't be too bad, just relax and play well. Practice your *** off though before and make sure everythings tight. Play some simple songs too, but not the songs that everyone will play if you know what I mean. For our school it was Smells like teen spirit, Warning, songs like that.

4stringEDDIE
11-25-2004, 10:37 PM
im afraid i cant offer you much advice from experience but id say just get up ther, do ur thing, play what u gotta play, and put on a show

freakmeeko
11-26-2004, 06:36 AM
god, that was vague eddie

DxRocker
11-26-2004, 07:39 AM
With covers, the trick is to find songs that sound incredibly difficult, but in fact are fairly easy to play (assuming you guys can hit some tight drums and play "descent" guitar and stuff)...

Take "Urban Discipline" from Biohazard for example. Mega-powerfull song, lots of different rythms and very dynamic. Sounds like one of the most complex songs on the album, while in fact, it is one of the easiest to play... In the end, the song has basicly only one guitar riff that is played in 3-4 different ways, wich handles healthy variation.

The only difficulty with songs like that, is timing. It has to be RIGHT IN THERE, or it's pure crap...

If your technical skills don't reach far enough to play stuff like that, you could go with really cool rocking classics like "The Ace of Spades" and stuff like that. Just ram those instruments and go nuts! The crowd loves it :D

Have a great show, and above all (THE most important thing about doing a show): have a great time! If the people can see you having a blast on stage, it will grab their attention a lot more and they will have a good time to. If instead you guys are standing there like a bunch of stiffs, not smiling or anything, the people will go "BOOOORING!"

good luck to you guys

XemoXmoshXpitX
11-26-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm planning on doing it this next year in hi school. Act like you know what you are doing, and being energized on stage. Don't get worked up and nervous and you should be fine. Talk in between every other song or so. Say funny stuff and have good crowd communication.

morrissey
11-26-2004, 11:01 AM
I definitely agree with xemo. Crowd communication is the key. You didn't mention if you have had other gig experience, so I will assume that you haven't.

1. Practice, Practice, Practice!! If you have originals, know them top to bottom. If you are playing covers, make sure you either completely change them up, or keep them almost exactly the same. Otherwise people with think you don't know how to play the song. As for covers to choose, do something fun that the crowd will love, like "Basket Case" or "When I Come Around". Really easy songs (hopefully they are easy for you), but they can get the crowd going.

2. While on stage, look like you are having fun. It isn't necessary to jump around or headbang while performing a ballad... but no one wants to see 4 John Entwistles (sp) on stage. Move around, bop your head etc. This will make the crowd want to bop to the music too.

3. If you screw up, keep going. Hopefully your band has enough experience to know this, but remember: with originals, nobody knows exactly how they go if you are a new band. If your singer forgets the words, they won't know the difference. Just don't act like he forgot the words.

That's all I've got for now... just have fun and enjoy yourself :thumb:

PainKiller8191
11-27-2004, 01:22 AM
oh man....

the most important thing i can tell you, do NOT get nervous, or at least make people see how nervous you are! last year, (my first show) at my highschool battle of the bands, even though at rehearsals I'm jumping and screaming and ****ing around like an animal..........i completely froze up on stage, and my voice was completely ****ed up and i just totally ruined the show, and it was an embarrasement........advice: PRACTICE, and PRACTICE STAGE PRESENCE, and PRACTICE EVERYTING top to bottom left to right so that even if u or someone else makes a mistake u can keep going like nothing happened

And that's about it....good luck!

AcidQueen
11-27-2004, 01:39 AM
John Entwistles (sp)
No, you got it. :thumb: