PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Sgt._Joker
01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
yer it is i got another video from it, Jethro Tull n The Who this time, its awesome,
It looks like john lennon is in every episode and/or Dirty Mac

DeusExMachina
01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Thats because John Lennon is a ginormous pimp.

Sgt._Joker
01-04-2005, 07:51 PM
lol

Sgt._Joker
01-04-2005, 07:52 PM
did u find an episode?

Sgt._Joker
01-04-2005, 07:56 PM
the rock n roll circus wasnt released for a long time cause the mick thought the stones sounded horrible, and the other bands, especially the who, seemed to overshadow them. fortunately though it was realeased a couple o years ago and i saw it on amazon.com for 15 bucks. im plannin on buyin it soon enough it looks pretty awesome. btw, lennon clapton richards an mitchell are called the dirty mac.

Did Dirty Mac ever release a CD? or single for that matter?

DeusExMachina
01-04-2005, 08:29 PM
None that I know of. What do people think of The Traveling Wilburys? I just got into them pretty recently, good stuff. Kind of scary how many big names were in that group.

BludgeonySteve
01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Yes, some of my favorite songwriters in one group. How many albums did they make?

DeusExMachina
01-05-2005, 04:03 PM
They released two studio albums, and there's some boot legs. If you have AIM, I can send some of their stuff to you.

Broken Arrow
01-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I have one of their albums on viynl.:)

Walrus Gumboot
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
None that I know of. What do people think of The Traveling Wilburys? I just got into them pretty recently, good stuff. Kind of scary how many big names were in that group.

Like who?

BludgeonySteve
01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne.

Sgt._Joker
01-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Bob Dylan + George Harrison would of been a good song writting team,
What do u guys think would b the Ultimate Band e.g mine would be

Bob Dylan/John Lennon (either, or both) (Rythem Guitar/ Song Writer)
Eric Clapton (Lead and possibly Writer)
Keith Richards/John Entwistle (Bass)
George Harrison (ukulele/writer)
John Bonham (drums)

BludgeonySteve
01-05-2005, 05:47 PM

+ Tom Petty...

:mad:

Seafroggys
01-05-2005, 05:50 PM

Bob Dylan/John Lennon (either, or both) (Rythem Guitar/ Song Writer)
Eric Clapton (Lead and possibly Writer)
Keith Richards/John Entwistle (Bass)
George Harrison (ukulele/writer)
John Bonham (drums)

Great Beatles' discussion!

Anyway, mine would be:

Lennon on vocals
Clapton or Hendrix on lead
Jack Bruce on bass
McCartney on piano
Queen on harmonic vocals
Keith Moon on drums

Woodstock
01-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Lennon on vocals
Hendrix on lead
Jeff Beck on rythm
Young on harmonica
Waters on bass
Mitchell on drums

DeusExMachina
01-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Mine would be...

Van Morrison on vocals
David Gilmour on guitar
Brian Ritchie (I think that's his name... dude from The Violent Femmes) on Bass
Charlie Watts on drums

That band is on a strict rule of one guitarist, one singer, one bassist, one drummer. Those aren't necessarily my favorite musicians on their respective instrument, but I think their styles would mesh really well.

Walrus Gumboot
01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Lennon on vocals
Hendrix on lead
Jeff Beck on rythm
Young on harmonica
Waters on bass
Mitchell on drums

John Lennon isn't a good enough harmonica player?
:confused:

DeusExMachina
01-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Well, Lennon is singing. Lennon can sing and Young can harmonize on harmonica! That would be an interesting sound.

Woodstock
01-06-2005, 02:40 PM
John Lennon isn't a good enough harmonica player?
:confused:
Young is a better harmonica player than Lennon.

BasShorty
01-06-2005, 03:20 PM
****, i really tried to put together an ultimate band, but i failed as usual, since my band would involve too many basses and guitars :upset:

DeusExMachina
01-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I say an "ultimate band" thing has to have specific ground rules. Thats why I did one guitar, one bass, one drummer, and one vocalist. If it was free range, I would add way to many people.

Walrus Gumboot
01-06-2005, 08:38 PM
The problem with having super star super band is that there is no way that their egos wouldn't get in the way, unfortunatly.

Speaking fo harmonicas, does anyone know where I can get Beatles Harmonica tabs? I know one called harmonicacountry.com but it only has how to play the song, not the actual harmonica part (for example "I should have known better" follows the lyrics, not the intro's harmonica part)

DeusExMachina
01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I have no clue where to get harmonica tabs, sorry. I need a harmonica.

Sgt._Joker
01-06-2005, 09:44 PM
what type and what key was the Harmonica/s John used for Love me do, I want to hold your hand etc.

Walrus Gumboot
01-06-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure
I only have a C M. Hohner Old Standby which I guess has no sharps or flats, but I can play love me do on it, it's on harmonicacountry.com
My sister figured out "I should have known better" for me too, usually its only 3 or 4 notes

SRSharp2006
01-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Finally, one thread for the greatest band ever.

Walrus Gumboot
01-07-2005, 01:36 PM
We really need to work on keeping this thread, I mean come on, it was on page three this morning!

DeusExMachina
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Agreed. I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been made official, since it definitely has longevity, and it's got over 1000 posts, but, whatever. I'm just happy its keeping up. Who else thinks Can't Buy Me Love is the quite possibly the greatest of the upbeat pop songs they wrote, along with Help?

gmoneyguy
01-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Agreed. I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been made official, since it definitely has longevity, and it's got over 1000 posts, but, whatever. I'm just happy its keeping up. Who else thinks Can't Buy Me Love is the quite possibly the greatest of the upbeat pop songs they wrote, along with Help?
being that you included "upbeat" I'll have to agree.

BludgeonySteve
01-07-2005, 04:48 PM
what's this about every beatles song somehow being about drugs?

:eek:

gmoneyguy
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
what's this about every beatles song somehow being about drugs?

:eek:
Who said that? It made have influenced their songs buts that not what they are all about.

BludgeonySteve
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
My friend said that. He said even their early stuff was about drugs.

gmoneyguy
01-07-2005, 04:50 PM
My friend said that. He said even their early stuff was about drugs.
:lol: You have to do drugs to sing about them.

so_what
01-07-2005, 05:03 PM
dude i worship the beatles. My mom gave me this poster that was one of the show things from their christmas show of 64 or something. I dont know its gnarly cool.

DeusExMachina
01-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I saw somewhere that 83% of all Beatles songs are about love. I find that a little hard to believe, but definitely a lot of them are.

red barchetta
01-07-2005, 05:09 PM
agreed, totally

BludgeonySteve
01-07-2005, 05:12 PM
:lol: You have to do drugs to sing about them.

Well that's what he said. I'm guessing it's not true now.

/doubted it anyways

DeusExMachina
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Totally off topic, but, Red Barchetta, you get so many brownie points from me for being a Chrono Trigger fan. That game > all games, except maybe FF6.

red barchetta
01-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Totally off topic, but, Red Barchetta, you get so many brownie points from me for being a Chrono Trigger fan. That game > all games, except maybe FF6.
i respect you for being a deux ex, ff6 and chrono trigger fan

anyway, more beatles talk...

DeusExMachina
01-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Indeed. What's the best Beatles love song? For me, it's definitely Something, which is probably the best love song ever.

red barchetta
01-07-2005, 05:36 PM
^theres too many, but my personal fav is 'here, there and everywhere'. beautiful

Woodstock
01-07-2005, 06:20 PM
I dont know if In My Life would qualify?

ibanezsucks04
01-07-2005, 07:20 PM
i dunno if its been brought up but there are 42 pages on this thread but any one believe paul is actually dead?

Walrus Gumboot
01-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I saw somewhere that 83% of all Beatles songs are about love. I find that a little hard to believe, but definitely a lot of them are.

Magical Mystery Tour is almost love song free. Except fro the last one, but that isn't about a relationship, its about love itself, so its different than most love songs at least

Beatles poster story: my little sister burped and the "a hard day's night" poster on the wall gave her four different dissaproving/amused looks... it made me laugh

Walrus Gumboot
01-07-2005, 07:48 PM
i dunno if its been brought up but there are 42 pages on this thread but any one believe paul is actually dead?

No.

DeusExMachina
01-07-2005, 07:54 PM
I dont know if In My Life would qualify?

Not sure. It talks about love, but its more like about life in general... I dunno. It's a great song, regardless.

Walrus Gumboot
01-07-2005, 07:57 PM
In My Life seems like a great song but not their most memorable... and then the keyboard solo comes in, which had me entranced for weeks it seemed

Seafroggys
01-07-2005, 08:18 PM
In my Life is one of their best songs period.....and undoubtly their best pre '66 stuff by far (Noweher Man comes close though).

Best Beatle love song? The End....just listen to the last line :cool:

DeusExMachina
01-07-2005, 08:27 PM
The End is awesome. As for pre '66 stuff, In My Life is probably the best, but I love Yesterday. So much.

boss
01-07-2005, 08:46 PM
and i love her is also a great love song

BludgeonySteve
01-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Indeed. One of the best on Abbey Road.

STP
01-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Hello thread, sorry for not reading the rules.
The best riff IMO was Hey Bulldog, even better than Day Tripper.
I got so many favs, that`s just the beginning.

Metafive
01-07-2005, 10:34 PM
And I Love Her has got to be one of the best Beatles love songs, or Here There and Everywhere. By the way, I downloaded a slower version of She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, it's so much better it's amazing what a tempo change-up can do, just type in "she came in through the bathroom window (anthology)" and it should come up, it's a great one. also there's And Your Bird Can Sing anthology song where they're all stoned out of their minds laughing through a sad attempt of an overdub, which is always good for a laugh. but anyways there's lots of good anthology ones try to download some.

Metafive
01-07-2005, 10:38 PM
also...blackbird anthology, byooooootiful

STP
01-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Macca fan I see ;)
I saw him twice in concert in 2002. Flaming Pie was very good! driving rain had some great stuff too.
ie. Rince the rain drops :thumb:

wally5790
01-08-2005, 08:18 AM
i bought "a hard day's night" on dvd last week, its a cool movie, have most of you guys seen it?

DeusExMachina
01-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I saw all the Beatles movies when I was like... 8. So I don't remember them at all. As for the Anthologies, there are some real gems in those things.

6Stringer
01-08-2005, 10:16 AM
My friend showed me the "Yellow Submarine" movie and that was just one really weird movie.

DeusExMachina
01-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I haven't seen MMT, I should get that.

ibanezsucks04
01-08-2005, 10:37 AM
No.
me neither some people do though

Seafroggys
01-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I've seen all the Beatles movies.

I have Hard Day's Night and Yellow Submarine on DVD, Help and Yellow Submarine on video, and recorded copies of HDN, MMT, and Let it Be.

Yellow Submarine is my all-time favorite movie, and despite the....uh.....pointlessness of MMT, I love the music in that movie.

DeusExMachina
01-08-2005, 11:46 AM
What exactly is the movie of MMT like? At first I thought it was going to be trippy, but I heard that it's just them in the tour bus or something?

eghed
01-08-2005, 12:04 PM
All the beatles movies are great Help is my favorite it;s just so funny.
Does anybody know if Help is out on DVD yet?

eghed
01-08-2005, 12:06 PM
As for loves songs they have a lot of greats i really like Here There and Everywhere.

DeusExMachina
01-08-2005, 12:08 PM
I would imagine Help is on DVD, but it might not be. But I would think they'd want to get that on DVD, because it would sell like hotcakes.

Walrus Gumboot
01-08-2005, 02:14 PM
What exactly is the movie of MMT like? At first I thought it was going to be trippy, but I heard that it's just them in the tour bus or something?

It is completely random. They get on a tour bus and stop at these random locations, which have no connections with each other, at which they did very random, occasionaly very trippy things, such as having a marathon and stopping to play I am the walrus in the middle of a feild/parking lot. There is a... (love?) affair between Ringo's aunt and a passenger (Mr. Bloodvessel, whom I believe was Paul's Grandfather in A Hard Day's Night) and At the end there is a poorly choreographed dance to "your Mother Should Know" (quite entertaining). The randomness of it all though, is what leads people to call it a masterpeice or a total piece of trash. I loved it.

Metafive
01-08-2005, 03:21 PM
yes MMT was definately random, I wasn't really a fan of it, I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either, it's full of that kind of humour you might add in a school project science video with your friend that you make on your home video camera, but the dancing in the white suits to "Your Mother Should Know" was the best part of the whole movie, I downloaded it off the internet so you could try to get it there, whether it's worth it or not is your opinion.

Broken Arrow
01-08-2005, 07:13 PM
It is completely random. They get on a tour bus and stop at these random locations, which have no connections with each other, at which they did very random, occasionaly very trippy things, such as having a marathon and stopping to play I am the walrus in the middle of a feild/parking lot. There is a... (love?) affair between Ringo's aunt and a passenger (Mr. Bloodvessel, whom I believe was Paul's Grandfather in A Hard Day's Night) and At the end there is a poorly choreographed dance to "your Mother Should Know" (quite entertaining). The randomness of it all though, is what leads people to call it a masterpeice or a total piece of trash. I loved it.
w00t for the new avatar!!

/late

Woodstock
01-08-2005, 07:15 PM
I liked the choreography on Your Mother Should Know. Paul is the only one with a black rose on.

Walrus Gumboot
01-08-2005, 07:41 PM
I liked the choreography on Your Mother Should Know. Paul is the only one with a black rose on.

You're right, its not the choreography that was poor, it was how they were sometimes off or out of sync when they were dancing, but hey they're only human and I thought it was funny :)

Thankyou, Livewired, and a nice new avatar yourself :thumb:

DeusExMachina
01-08-2005, 07:45 PM
I should rent or buy it. I intend to watch all the Beatles movies in the next some amount of time.

Seafroggys
01-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Hard Day's Night, Help, and Magical Mystery Tour were all released on DVDs when they first came out in 1997 (I remember they were the first DVDs I ever saw, saw them at Costco in 5th grade, which was the 97-98 school year). Those issues have been out of print for years (pretty much because back then no one had DVD players).

Yellow Submarine was released on DVD in 1999, and I think its still in print. Hard Days' Night was re-released on DVD couple years ago, really nice package, pretty sure you can still get that. Let it Be is virtually impossible to get. I've only seen one real copy, and it was a video produced in 1981 that was in an independent movie rental place that had the biggest selection of movies I had ever seen. My uncle got a bootlegged copy, then downloaded the movie off the internet from a laser disc rip.

DeusExMachina
01-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Snaps. You know your stuff. I'm going to steal a copy of Let it Be from someone.

Johnny B. Good
01-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Hard Day's Night, Help, and Magical Mystery Tour were all released on DVDs when they first came out in 1997 (I remember they were the first DVDs I ever saw, saw them at Costco in 5th grade, which was the 97-98 school year). Those issues have been out of print for years (pretty much because back then no one had DVD players).

Yellow Submarine was released on DVD in 1999, and I think its still in print. Hard Days' Night was re-released on DVD couple years ago, really nice package, pretty sure you can still get that. Let it Be is virtually impossible to get. I've only seen one real copy, and it was a video produced in 1981 that was in an independent movie rental place that had the biggest selection of movies I had ever seen. My uncle got a bootlegged copy, then downloaded the movie off the internet from a laser disc rip.

Who would want Magical Mystery tour, it sucked, it was a poor rip off of Ken Kesey's LSD bus trip across America

DeusExMachina
01-09-2005, 09:55 AM
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test! Man, Ken Kesey was a weird guy. So was Tom Wolfe. What did he call his group of friends again? The Merry Pranksters or something?

Woodstock
01-09-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd love to have the full Rooftop Concert on movie. The Anthology DVD doesn't show enough.

deejuks2
01-09-2005, 10:26 AM
wow i cant believe i havent posted here before. i love the beatles, as a mattar of fact i am listening to "within you, without you" as i type.

DeusExMachina
01-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I'd love to have the full Rooftop Concert on movie. The Anthology DVD doesn't show enough.

That would have been an amazing show to have been at.

Neoteric
01-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Paul is a dead man, miss him, miss him!

well not really :rolleyes:

AcDcIStheBEST
01-09-2005, 01:04 PM
the beatles do rock they are the foundation of music

Seafroggys
01-09-2005, 01:47 PM
the beatles do rock they are the foundation of music

No.....I would think the Monks who developed Western Notation (12 semi-tones in an octave) are the foundation of western music.

The Beatles are definitly the foundation of modern music, I can tell you that.

Btw, I just had a thought.....could the Beatles be classified as Progressive Rock?

DeusExMachina
01-09-2005, 01:52 PM
No.....I would think the Monks who developed Western Notation (12 semi-tones in an octave) are the foundation of western music.

The Beatles are definitly the foundation of modern music, I can tell you that.

Btw, I just had a thought.....could the Beatles be classified as Progressive Rock?

I would say The Beatles are the first prog rock band. And I agree with the Monk comment only because you specified western music. There are some recording of Indonesian choirs doing quarter tones and stuff.... crazy.

Woodstock
01-09-2005, 04:00 PM
I dont know, maybe some of their songs. Prog is defined as incorporating classical influences. Name me a few Beatles songs that have that.

BludgeonySteve
01-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Is that actually how it's defined? I always thought it was creativity and experimentation in music (like art, prog is also called art rock). That's what all of the prog heads say.

Woodstock
01-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Is that actually how it's defined? I always thought it was creativity and experimentation in music (like art, prog is also called art rock). That's what all of the prog heads say.
Prog, art, and space rock are generally the same thing. And yes, experimentation is in prog.

punkster998
01-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Yesterday I bought the second album on vinyl. Man I still haven't heard all their early stuff yet. :upset:

BludgeonySteve
01-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Prog, art, and space rock are generally the same thing. And yes, experimentation is in prog.

But does it also have to have classical stuff? Pink Floyd doesn't really use anything classical.

BludgeonySteve
01-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Yesterday I bought the second album on vinyl. Man I still haven't heard all their early stuff yet. :upset:

Their later stuff is better than the early. But the early is worth checking out.

Broken Arrow
01-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Their later stuff is better than the early. But the early is worth checking out.
I agree.

Beatles(with drugs)>Beatles

BludgeonySteve
01-09-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen this, but here it is anyways: http://www.beatallica.com/

Broken Arrow
01-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen this, but here it is anyways: http://www.beatallica.com/
I've seen it.

Has anyone seen the Simpsons Episode were Bart finds Flanders Beatles collection thing. It's pretty good.

DeusExMachina
01-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I dont know, maybe some of their songs. Prog is defined as incorporating classical influences. Name me a few Beatles songs that have that.

Play Because backwards, and you'll hear The Moonlight Sonata. That's the only use of classical music that jumps to mind of the Beatles, other than their use of classical instruments.

Was that the simpsons episode where Bart or Homer is like "flanders! I never knew you were a beatles fan!" and he says something about them being more popular than Jesus?

BludgeonySteve
01-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I just bought Led Zeppelin II today. I was really looking for LA Woman, but they didn't have it.

By any chance are you in the wrong thread?

Woodstock
01-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Play Because backwards, and you'll hear The Moonlight Sonata. That's the only use of classical music that jumps to mind of the Beatles, other than their use of classical instruments.

Was that the simpsons episode where Bart or Homer is like "flanders! I never knew you were a beatles fan!" and he says something about them being more popular than Jesus?
That's true, I forgot about that Moonlight Sonata thing.

I wish I'd seen that episode :lol:

gmoneyguy
01-09-2005, 05:05 PM
By any chance are you in the wrong thread?
:upset: Ya I thought this was The CR thread.

dropkickmurphyskickass
01-09-2005, 05:21 PM
i heard from one of my friends who loves the Beatles that right after George died Paul tried to get all of the songs that were written by Lennon/McCartny to read McCartny/Lennon instead. Can anyone verify this? It seems like a real jackass thing to do

gmoneyguy
01-09-2005, 05:22 PM
i heard from one of my friends who loves the Beatles that right after George died Paul tried to get all of the songs that were written by Lennon/McCartny to read McCartny/Lennon instead. Can anyone verify this? It seems like a real jackass thing to do
Not possible, seeing how Jacko owns their music.

dropkickmurphyskickass
01-09-2005, 05:39 PM
read this
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2002/12/17/entertainment1607EST0682.DTL

Broken Arrow
01-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Nope.

Flanders has a room dedicated to the Beatles. It's awesome.

DeusExMachina
01-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Ok, well, seeing as it's McCartney's tour, he has every right to put his name in the front. It's not like he's changing the credits on CD's. I see no problem with it. Besides, as guitrguy said, Jackson owns everything up to (and I think including) Sgt. Peppers.

panasonic youth
01-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Probably mentioned a lot already, didn't bother to skim but George Harrison is the most underrated of the Beatles and one of the most talented, especially at the guitar and it was bothering me awhile ago about why they stuck him with bass a lot of the time, but when you listen to some of the bass riffs they are amazing, i swear no matter what this guy did he was amazing, and i really find john lennon one of the most inspirational people ever, musically and ideally. In a sense i find maynard james keenan to be like a more synical john lennon, when it comes to ideas about the world and pacifism. I never looked it up, but did ringo ever put out any solo records.hahaha imagine what it would be like to be Pete Best, thinking about all the fame and money he could have had.

BillCosby
01-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Probably mentioned a lot already, didn't bother to skim but George Harrison is the most underrated of the Beatles and one of the most talented, especially at the guitar and it was bothering me awhile ago about why they stuck him with bass a lot of the time, but when you listen to some of the bass riffs they are amazing, i swear no matter what this guy did he was amazing, and i really find john lennon one of the most inspirational people ever, musically and ideally. In a sense i find maynard james keenan to be like a more synical john lennon, when it comes to ideas about the world and pacifism. I never looked it up, but did ringo ever put out any solo records.hahaha imagine what it would be like to be Pete Best, thinking about all the fame and money he could have had.

Wow.

Paragraphs, man. Paragraphs.

EDIT: and grammar, and punctuation

rippa32
01-10-2005, 02:50 AM
Ringo did release solo records. I only know of one because my dad owns one. I dont know if he did any others. I once saw an interview with Pete Best, quite recently actually. He didn't seem to be too pissed off about it.

Seafroggys
01-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, for the Back in the US Tour Cd, it all says "Written by McCartney/Lennon"....which might be technically true, but legally its not, and also IMO doesn't show much respect for a dead man.

Paul's such a sellout these days. Granted his concert was the greatest of all time, but he's a big sellout.

And Jackson owns Northern Songs, which....well....is virtually every Beatles song (but not all).

guitarded_chuck
01-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Magical Mystery Tour anyone? I love that album.

gmoneyguy
01-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I personally like Revovler slightly more.

DeusExMachina
01-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah, for the Back in the US Tour Cd, it all says "Written by McCartney/Lennon"....which might be technically true, but legally its not, and also IMO doesn't show much respect for a dead man.

Paul's such a sellout these days. Granted his concert was the greatest of all time, but he's a big sellout.

And Jackson owns Northern Songs, which....well....is virtually every Beatles song (but not all).

I disagree. He may be a sellout, I don't know, but changing the name order in and of itself doesn't make him so. It's his tour, he wants his name in front. I have no problem with that. Now, if he went around trying to change the credits on the CD's, then it shows some animosity on his part, and thats not cool. But, seeing as he's going on tour, he wants to be the star of the show, and I don't see a problem with that.

slowhand
01-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I personally like Revovler slightly more.

Revolver is a great album. I find that it's better than Rubber Soul.

JamesPatrickPageZoSo
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
revolver is probably my fav. as well

Sgt._Joker
01-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Hello thread, sorry for not reading the rules.
The best riff IMO was Hey Bulldog, even better than Day Tripper.
I got so many favs, that`s just the beginning.

Quoting not because of what STP said, but because of his name, Stone Temple Piolets, did any one hear there Great cover of Revolution in the John Lennon 9/11 tribute concert? and if any one saw that, Craig David did and absoulute SH*TE! cover of come together, he turned it into...... sorta rap i guess, :angry:

Sgt._Joker
01-10-2005, 10:57 PM
yes MMT was definately random, I wasn't really a fan of it, I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either, it's full of that kind of humour you might add in a school project science video with your friend that you make on your home video camera, but the dancing in the white suits to "Your Mother Should Know" was the best part of the whole movie, I downloaded it off the internet so you could try to get it there, whether it's worth it or not is your opinion.
It was filmed a short time after brian epstein died, they were like a boat with out a rudder at that point whihc is why MMT is.... not memorable and hard to sit through all of, Paul attempted to take controll during the filming i think aswell, i heard that some where

Sgt._Joker
01-10-2005, 11:21 PM
does anyone think A Day in the Life is a awesome and powerfull song... powerfull because it sounds depressive, and awesome because... it gives u this awesome feeling...

Was it written just after Brian Epsteins death? i was watching a tribute beatles thing to George harrison on RAGE and the film clip for A Day in the Life seemed to b at some sort of public funeral i guessed it would be for Brian Epstein can any one confirm or Correct me?

Walrus Gumboot
01-11-2005, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=panasonic youth] ... and it was bothering me awhile ago about why they stuck him with bass a lot of the time, but when you listen to some of the bass riffs they are amazing,[QUOTE]

They did? I thought it was all Paul...

Walrus Gumboot
01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
does anyone think A Day in the Life is a awesome and powerfull song... powerfull because it sounds depressive, and awesome because... it gives u this awesome feeling...

Was it written just after Brian Epsteins death? i was watching a tribute beatles thing to George harrison on RAGE and the film clip for A Day in the Life seemed to b at some sort of public funeral i guessed it would be for Brian Epstein can any one confirm or Correct me?

A Day in the Life is the song to end all songs. It is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. It seems like the end of the world with that one las, final E chord, God I love that song.

Has anyone seen "Rust Never Sleeps"? I know livewired has... I love how it sounds when they play it over the speakers in the beginning

DonMancini
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I just bought Sgt. Pepper. Finally, I'm giving up the compilations and moving to the real albums :p

Woodstock
01-11-2005, 04:30 PM
I just bought Sgt. Pepper. Finally, I'm giving up the compilations and moving to the real albums :p
Good, I hope you enjoy it. It's one of their best.

Walrus Gumboot
01-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Sgt. Pepper's was my first album too

:gets all nostalgic:

ANGUS YOUNG13
01-11-2005, 05:52 PM
the beatles rule all of they re songs are good and they are the foundation of rock

Johnny B. Good
01-11-2005, 06:16 PM
It's better to buy their later albums instead of compilations but on their early stuff it's alright to get compilations

lennon-legend
01-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I wanna start buying saying the beatles rock and are a great musical influence to all.
Just wanted to know if any fans of john lennon changed their opinion of him when he started his solo career? :thumb:

Johnny B. Good
01-11-2005, 06:29 PM
I thought he ruined his career when he married Yoko.....

.....except for Imagine, it's a very good song

BludgeonySteve
01-11-2005, 06:48 PM
His solo career was very good. But he wrote better stuff in The Beatles.

Broken Arrow
01-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Sgt. Pepper's was my first album too

:gets all nostalgic:
Magical Mystery Tour was mine.

/remembers the good 'ol days

Blackwater Park
01-11-2005, 07:27 PM
fixing a hole... and revolution 9, changed my un-sober life

DeusExMachina
01-11-2005, 07:28 PM
I don't remember what my first Beatles album was... It was probably some of the really poppy stuff, which my parents put on when I was uber young or something.

I personally am a big fan of Lennon's solo career, I LOVE Watching The Wheels. That song is brilliant. But, I prefer his work with The Beatles to his solo stuff.

Johnny B. Good
01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I love Lennon's song from Sgt. Pepper, "Good Morning"

Badmoon
01-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Yellow Submarine was the first Beatles album played to me. I can't see how people dislike that album.

Badmoon
01-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Question: What musician was very upset when "Strawberry Fields Forever" came out, because that was the exact sound he was going for, and was too late to be original with it? Was it Syd Barrett? I cannot remember.

:)

Sgt._Joker
01-12-2005, 05:38 AM
I wanna start buying saying the beatles rock and are a great musical influence to all.
Just wanted to know if any fans of john lennon changed their opinion of him when he started his solo career? :thumb:

if u mean did John Lennon's solo career make me think worst of him? Absolutely not, infact it made me think higher of him, his belief's and ideals make way more sence then any religion i've heard of (i hope i havnt offended any one by saying that)

John Lennon has influenced me a whole f**king lot not just music wise, he is incredably wise and i think yoko helped bring out that part of him.

Music wise his solo career i think it was great, so great songs:
Give me Some Truth
How do you sleep (one of my favourite)
Imagine
Crippled inside
Instant Karma
We all shine on
Give Peace a Chance.

In closing, John Lennon is awesome and we should all try to learn from some of his statements, beliefs and truth.

Btw i heard John Lennon say about the Beatles break up and *fight* with paul (something along the lines of)
"You can have a fight with your best mate, and come to blows over it, if you like, but then u make up and he is ur best mate again, but when we do it its some kind of treachery... crime against the state..."
At first when i heard about Paul n John's *fight* i thought "treachery" but after hearing that it made a heap of sence to me, the media just blew it up outa preportion :thumb:

Walrus Gumboot
01-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Yellow Submarine was the first Beatles album played to me. I can't see how people dislike that album.

Prolly because it's sort of a compilation. A very good one at that, but if you have all of their others there are only 4 ongs on it that aren't on any others. Great songs, though, some of their best.

I love John Lennon's "Working Class Hero", its just so true, I am constanty
kept doped with religion, sex and TV!

Seafroggys
01-12-2005, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=Walrus Gumboot]Prolly because it's sort of a compilation. A very good one at that, but if you have all of their others there are only 4 ongs on it that aren't on any others. Great songs, though, some of their best.[QUOTE]

Which one? The original one or the re-issue? The re-issue is great, one of the best Beatle compilation CDS IMO, and the first CD I ever bought.

The first Beatles album I've been exposed too? Too hard to say. When I was a kid, probably Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour. But in "my new life" I have to say Yellow Submarine.

DeusExMachina
01-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Btw i heard John Lennon say about the Beatles break up and *fight* with paul (something along the lines of)
"You can have a fight with your best mate, and come to blows over it, if you like, but then u make up and he is ur best mate again, but when we do it its some kind of treachery... crime against the state..."
At first when i heard about Paul n John's *fight* i thought "treachery" but after hearing that it made a heap of sence to me, the media just blew it up outa preportion :thumb:

It makes sense that the media definitely blew it out of proportion. I mean, the media makes it look like Yoko and Paul are at each other's necks all the time, and there was never a good relationship with The Beatles after they broke up, but Paul and Yoko worked together to try and get back the copyrights of the Beatles music (didn't succeed, sadly, but they did work together) and after John died, Ringo, George, Paul, and Yoko all did a lot of tribute stuff for him.

BludgeonySteve
01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Does anyone else like the song Yesterday? I think it's one of their best.

gmoneyguy
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Does anyone else like the song Yesterday? I think it's one of their best.
What do you think?

Come on the songs is so beautiful, its hard not to like it.

DeusExMachina
01-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Yesterday > all pre '66 songs, except maybe In My Life.

Johnny B. Good
01-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Yesterday=classic tune
its one of Paul McCarney's best songs ever

xxxRoCkJuNkiExxx
01-12-2005, 07:18 PM
whew, I just finished reading all the pages I've missed...

If you are a human being and you don't like the song Yesterday, something is probably wrong. Yesterday is the most covered song in history(at least that's what I've heard).
Has anyone else heard Bob Dylan's cover of Yesterday?

BludgeonySteve
01-12-2005, 07:20 PM
What do you think?

Come on the songs is so beautiful, its hard not to like it.

It's hard if you're deaf.

/thread

Johnny B. Good
01-12-2005, 07:23 PM
whew, I just finished reading all the pages I've missed...

If you are a human being and you don't like the song Yesterday, something is probably wrong. Yesterday is the most covered song in history(at least that's what I've heard).
Has anyone else heard Bob Dylan's cover of Yesterday?

is it good?

gmoneyguy
01-12-2005, 07:24 PM
It's hard if you're deaf.

/thread
Beethoven was deaf

Woodstock
01-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Beethoven became deaf

Fixed.

SOS420
01-12-2005, 07:29 PM
yes, the Beatles are quite good. I got Sgt Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band, a day in the life is rly good

xxxRoCkJuNkiExxx
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
is it good?

Well.....as everyone knows, Dylan's voice isn't the greatest, but personally I like it.

Woodstock
01-12-2005, 07:35 PM
The singing is a very important part of that song, so I doubt I'd like Dylan's cover.

Johnny B. Good
01-12-2005, 07:36 PM
eh, I like Dylan's voice. especially for his folk music it fits in well I think

xxxRoCkJuNkiExxx
01-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Yesterday isn't a really folky song though, so I'm not sure you'd like it.

Sgt._Joker
01-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Bob Dylan has as good gritty style of voice, which depending on ur taste can be hard, or good to listen to

John Lennons Vocals r extremely extremely cool, they r good because he can go from gritty and harsh vocals (as heard in Good morning Good Morning) to light vocals heard in Imagine and (just like) Starting Over.
and i find bands like Oasis, who have a vocal who sounds a bit like John incredibally cool,.

Paul McCartney has probably Better vocals technically, and he sounds incredibally good, but i just prefer john's, John's Vocals make me think about the lyrics he is singing.

DeusExMachina
01-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Man, I want to hear the Bob Dylan cover. I like Bob Dylan's singing. It gives hope to the rest of us with crappy voices.

Sgt._Joker
01-12-2005, 08:26 PM
any one like Hey Bulldog?
Very sick bass line on bass and piano.
speaking of sick piano parts i have a song that is Paul McCartney, John Lennon and the Rolling Stones playing the song "We Love You" very very very cool Piano part

incubus62086
01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
the beatles are amazing, without them, most modern music wouldnt be around. u cant argue that, they were so innovative for their time. even if u dont like them, u have to respect them, its that simple.

Sgt._Joker
01-12-2005, 08:58 PM
^^^^^ Absolutely that sums up the effect the beatles had in a nutshell

Seafroggys
01-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Paul McCartney has probably Better vocals technically, and he sounds incredibally good, but i just prefer john's, John's Vocals make me think about the lyrics he is singing.

Exactly how I think too.

Yes, Hey Bulldog is a great song that you can't really get unless you get Yellow Submarine.

What does everyone think of Only a Northern Song? Apparently most fans hate it but it used to be my second favorite song several years back (Nowhere Man was my first).....and its still I think a **** good song.

Sgt._Joker
01-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Only a Northen Song is a great song seen its.. well the truth, *i just wrote it like that*

" to become big, you have to be an arsehole, so The Beatles were the biggest arseholes in the world... but nobody wants to hear about that.. they want to keep up the nice image and want to hear something cute every time we opened our mouths" - John Lennon

Walrus Gumboot
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Which one? The original one or the re-issue? The re-issue is great, one of the best Beatle compilation CDS IMO, and the first CD I ever bought.

I didn't know there was an original one, so i meant the re-issue
...and I don't know about you, but I love bob dylan's singing voice :D

I was wondering, since we are all (prolly) musicians here, what instrument(s) people play, and (to make it beatles related) what sort of beatles songs do you play?

bass, trombone, ukulele, harmonica
I'll play anything on bass, but trombone is sort of limited, nowhere man on ukulele (until I forgot) and "love me do" and "I should have known better" on harmonica

Sgt._Joker
01-13-2005, 06:54 PM
me= Guitar for the past month (i've taught myslef," Day Tripper", the top to lines of "here comes the sun" the *nahhh nahh na na na na nahhhh na na na nahhhh hey jude...* bit of hey jude (used at the start of Blackend the USSR and Hey Dude by Beatallica) n i am working on Maggie May.
Flute for 4 years btu i am stopping now getting bored... i can play Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, You've got to hide ur love away.
Bit of Trumpet.
Bit of Piano
Bit of Drums,
Bit of Harmonica.... what type of harmonica do u use for Love me do and I should have known better? because i cant find one with the right key etc.
and ukulele..... if u have got a ukulele vist this site it walks u through the chords and way of playing about 70 diff beatles songs .... http://4rmj.com/rick/beatlesite/index.html

Woodstock
01-13-2005, 07:13 PM
I play their songs on my guitars and keyboard. (Let It Be most of the time)

gmoneyguy
01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
I can play And I love her, Day Tripper, Yellow Submarine, Eleanore Rigby, Blackbird, Help, Norwegian wood, A Day in the Life, Two of Us, Twist and Shout, and more that I can't think of at the moment.

Johnny B. Good
01-13-2005, 07:51 PM
I can play And I love her, Day Tripper, Yellow Submarine, Eleanore Rigby, Blackbird, Help, Norwegian wood, A Day in the Life, Two of Us, Twist and Shout, and more that I can't think of at the moment.
anybody can play day tripper except for the solo, which you have to get the timing down for, but that isn't too hard either. Nonetheless ,though, it's still a fun song to play
so is Octopus's Garden

gmoneyguy
01-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Day tripper was like my first song, and alot of other peoples.

Broken Arrow
01-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Day tripper was like my first song, and alot of other peoples.
It was mine.:)

Anyways does the intro to Octopus's Garden sound like an Allman Brothers song to anyone? Because it always reminds me of the Allmans.

Woodstock
01-13-2005, 08:14 PM
It was mine.:)

Anyways does the intro to Octopus's Garden sound like an Allman Brothers song to anyone? Because it always reminds me of the Allmans.
What song does it remind you of, I cant think of any?

Johnny B. Good
01-13-2005, 08:15 PM
I think that's it funny that when the Beatles first changed their name Pete Best was drumming and he couldn't keep a beat

SOS420
01-13-2005, 09:24 PM
i got the white album, helter skelter is on there and it is awesome, is that the song that drove manson crazy? i am pretty sure some song on the white album did, may be piggies.............
Cant remember.
Does any1 know?

Sgt._Joker
01-14-2005, 12:41 AM
i got the white album, helter skelter is on there and it is awesome, is that the song that drove manson crazy? i am pretty sure some song on the white album did, may be piggies.............
Cant remember.
Does any1 know?

nope, but i think helter skelter was the very first heavy metal song.. well it wouldnt of been considered heavy metal when it first came out, but i think heavy metal developed fromt that song

gmoneyguy
01-14-2005, 06:01 AM
nope, but i think helter skelter was the very first heavy metal song.. well it wouldnt of been considered heavy metal when it first came out, but i think heavy metal developed fromt that song
It was one of the first songs to use distortion.

xxxRoCkJuNkiExxx
01-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Man, I want to hear the Bob Dylan cover. I like Bob Dylan's singing. It gives hope to the rest of us with crappy voices.

I can post it if you want. But I can't do it now because I'm at school.

My first Beatles song was Day Tripper, too. Now I can play Twist and Shout, parts of Here Comes the Sun, Words of Love(even though that was originally Buddy Holly), parts of I Wanna Hold Your Hand, and I'm working on Get Back and Roll Over Beethoven.

DeusExMachina
01-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Cant remember.
Does any1 know?

None of them. He was already insane, but he listened to The White Album and thought he found all these weird messages in all the tracks (mainly Helter Skelter and Revolution 9.) He would've killed people anyways, though.

I play guitar, bass, cello, piano, and a little bit of ukulele. Don't really play bass or ukulele seriously, but I can play them. I can play songs like Let it Be and Imagine on both piano and guitar, I can play Blackbird, I can play parts of Here Comes the Sun, I used to know I'm Only Sleeping, and I've learned others along the way, but don't remember them now.

Woodstock
01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I've always wanted to play Imagine on piano, anyone have a good tab?

Seafroggys
01-14-2005, 01:19 PM
I have palyed/play drums, trombones, piano, and any and all percussion instruments.

The first song I learned on the set was Nowhere Man.

I taught myself Imagine my freshman year (on piano)......so fun to play and sing too.

Walrus Gumboot
01-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Love Me Do is one of many on www.harmonicacountry.com , and they are all arranged for your standard C, and yes, that is a brilliant site for ukulele, however it seems that the chords and such are all upside down. Maybe I am playing it wrong

Deus Ex Machina, you play cello!? :is jealous:
That's an instument that is so expressive, I hope to play it someday

Which came first, Helter Skelter or Purple Haze?

Broken Arrow
01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Love Me Do is one of many on www.harmonicacountry.com , and they are all arranged for your standard C, and yes, that is a brilliant site for ukulele, however it seems that the chords and such are all upside down. Maybe I am playing it wrong

Deus Ex Machina, you play cello!? :is jealous:
That's an instument that is so expressive, I hope to play it someday

Which came first, Helter Skelter or Purple Haze?
Purple Haze-1967
Helter Skelter-1968

Walrus Gumboot
01-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Purple Haze-1967
Helter Skelter-1968

Thought so

Seafroggys
01-14-2005, 05:22 PM
The first person to use distortion was this guitarist from the 50s. Really sweet stuff, yet I forgot his name.

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
01-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Charlie Christian?

Walrus Gumboot
01-14-2005, 05:36 PM
If "Back in the USSR" and "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" were beach boys influenced, "yer Blues" was... blues influenced, honey pie showtune influenced, and don't pass me by was country influenced, maybe helter skelter was just picking up on something else and..beatlifiying it

DeusExMachina
01-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Charlie Christian?

Probably not. Jazz guitarists aren't known for their use of distortion.

To Walrus Gumboot, you should definitely play if you get a chance. Cello is the sexiest of all instruments! It is expensive, true, but my mom has been playing for a really time, so I just use her cello.

Walrus Gumboot
01-14-2005, 07:41 PM
haha that works, and I am sure they are expensive (just the strings, jeez) but I meant *expressive; the music just has so much feeling, like sobbing or something, and of course, sexy :lol:
Some lady was playing it with one of my dad's friends who he got to play at my grandmother's funeral reception along with my dad's friend on some sort of accordian and somebody on irish folk guitar, and she let me play it, and it's definatly on my list of instuments to buy once I get into some money (along with a sitar, of course).
You're lucky your mom plays it, mine is trying to learn fiddle, which, on occasion, sounds like a small woodland creature being poked with toothpicks

Woodstock
01-14-2005, 11:24 PM
The first person to use distortion was this guitarist from the 50s. Really sweet stuff, yet I forgot his name.
Link something?

Sgt._Joker
01-14-2005, 11:56 PM
If "Back in the USSR" and "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" were beach boys influenced, "yer Blues" was... blues influenced, honey pie showtune influenced, and don't pass me by was country influenced, maybe helter skelter was just picking up on something else and..beatlifiying it

i Think "Back in the USSR" was a deliberate mockery of the beach boys basically saying "We can do what u do... but can u do what we do?"
well, thats the way i look at it.

Michael Jackson VS the Beatles,
I was watching this show today Michael Jackson's Number ones, and the way they talked about him as if, He was the only person who influenced today's music, no body menchoned the beatles and
I quote "If u want music as a whole, u get michael jackson" (cant remember what lady on the show said it) But WTF!, jackson could sing, dance, be expressive, and had a pretty face, tell me HOW IS THAT MUSIC :angry:
jeez watching this got me frustrated!!!!!

the beatles had a MUCH bigger effect i think on music, seen, they actually made the music, and experimented which has led to many styles of music now, etc etc u know the rest...

what do you think?

DeusExMachina
01-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Well, Micheal Jackson did have a very large impact on music. He was hugely popular, and the Thriller era music is REALLY good. Thriller is the number one selling album of all time. With that said...
Beatles > Micheal Jackson. The Beatles majorly pwn Jackson.

And to Walrus Gumboot, yeah, sorry, misread expressive. It is an incredibly expressive instrument as well though. While guitar is my favorite instrument, I would have to say that cello is, in my opinion, the best instrument. If that makes any sense.

Walrus Gumboot
01-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Haha, sure it does :)
Sgt. Joker, maybe MJ had a greater influence on pop music today, as far as starting the thing where musical talent concentrating on vocals and dancing instead of instumental skills went?
Of course The Beatles influenced Jackson, but The Beatles were influenced, and the people who influenced them were influenced, and the list goes on and on...

BludgeonySteve
01-15-2005, 11:58 AM

They were very influenced alrighty ;)

Broken Arrow
01-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Speaking of instruments I want to try, Is a double bass. I was watching this thing on Jazz pianist Oscar Peterson and he's bassist was awesome and it looked like alot of fun. Its kinda like cello.:/

eghed
01-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Exactly how I think too.

Yes, Hey Bulldog is a great song that you can't really get unless you get Yellow Submarine.

What does everyone think of Only a Northern Song? Apparently most fans hate it but it used to be my second favorite song several years back (Nowhere Man was my first).....and its still I think a **** good song.

I love Hey Bulldog and Only a Northern Song. Those 4 songd from Yellow Submarine are some of my favorite, i wish they had made a full album of real songs not stupid soundtrack music.

bov
01-15-2005, 12:47 PM
my fav songs are ... In My Life, All My Loving, Yesterday, and Here Comes the Sun :thumb:

Griffith
01-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I just finished reading J.D. Sallinger's The Catcher in the Rye.

Easy Trivia: What is this novel's connection to the Beatles?

Seafroggys
01-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I just finished reading J.D. Sallinger's The Catcher in the Rye.

Easy Trivia: What is this novel's connection to the Beatles?

Mr. Chapman had it on him one cold, December night 24 years ago, in the city that never sleeps. One person slept that night though, and his awakening never happened.

Walrus Gumboot
01-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Wow, seafroggies, that was very poetic

BludgeonySteve
01-15-2005, 05:50 PM
err, the guy who killed John Lennon was obsessed with it or something. Seafroggies might have just answered but I have no idea what he just said.

DeusExMachina
01-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Speaking of instruments I want to try, Is a double bass. I was watching this thing on Jazz pianist Oscar Peterson and he's bassist was awesome and it looked like alot of fun. Its kinda like cello.:/

Sorta like cello... but not much. It's like comparing the mandolin to the ukulele... or something like that. I dunno, they're similar, but played quite a bit differently, and cello is tuned in fifths, while bass is tuned in fourths. However, the double bass is a ton of fun to play. I mess around on it in orchestra when I'm bored. If you're looking for good jazz bassists, check out Charles Mingus. He's amazing. Also, a kid who graduated from my old high school last year (I can't remember his name right now) but look out for a small little asian kid exploding on the jazz bass scene in a couple years. Kid was disgusting. He played bass for the jazz band (which was the best high school jazz band in the country) and first bass for the orchestra, and could play violin concertos on the double bass and make it look easy and sound amazing.

On the topic of influence, the guys who invented rag time weren't really influenced by anybody. That I know of.

Aaaaand... to make this post relate to the Beatles at all... um... they're totally awesome? I'll edit in something to make this post worthwhile later.

Johnny B. Good
01-15-2005, 09:07 PM
What do you play for orchestra?
the beatles form Sgt. Pepper onwards used an orchestra(used to make post relevant)

DeusExMachina
01-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I play cello for orchestra. And next year I'm probably going to try out to play guitar for the jazz band as well.

My favorite song with classical string instruments by The Beatles is probably Yesterday, but I didn't take time to think about it much, so I'm sure others will come to mind.

Woodstock
01-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Eleanor Rigby's arrangement is much better.

Johnny B. Good
01-15-2005, 09:17 PM
I play cello for orchestra. And next year I'm probably going to try out to play guitar for the jazz band as well.

My favorite song with classical string instruments by The Beatles is probably Yesterday, but I didn't take time to think about it much, so I'm sure others will come to mind.
I used to play cello, but then I switched to viola, but still have to play the cello solos on viola because our cellists suck.
I think Eleanor Rigby has a better arrangement

DeusExMachina
01-15-2005, 09:46 PM
You play the cello solos on viola for them...? Wow, I pity your orchestra. Your cellists sound like they suck even worse than ours. Yeah, Eleanor Rigby does have a better arrangement, and in terms of pure orchestration, I prefer Eleanor Rigby, but overall I like Yesterday more as a song.

Sgt._Joker
01-15-2005, 09:47 PM
oh yer, and on this Michael Jackson show, they were saying thriller was the first and only video clip telivised all over the world............ wasnt All You Need Is Love the first video clip telivised live all over the world?

Woodstock
01-15-2005, 09:49 PM
You play the cello solos on viola for them...? Wow, I pity your orchestra. Your cellists sound like they suck even worse than ours. Yeah, Eleanor Rigby does have a better arrangement, and in terms of pure orchestration, I prefer Eleanor Rigby, but overall I like Yesterday more as a song.
Yesterday's is great. But Eleanor Rigby's arrangement is more complex and interesting to listen to.

Johnny B. Good
01-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Eveyone else is good in orchestra, just our cellos are horrible. I'm sure the Mr. A would have killed them by now if wasn't for the fact that he's an old hippie. All You need is love also has a good arangement

DeusExMachina
01-15-2005, 09:52 PM
The violins are great in my orchestra, and everyone else sucks.

I love the strings only version of Eleanor Rigby on the anthology. It's awesome.

Johnny B. Good
01-15-2005, 09:57 PM
The violins are great in my orchestra, and everyone else sucks.

I love the strings only version of Eleanor Rigby on the anthology. It's awesome.
We had an amazing violinist who has graduated and now he plays in one of the top chairs for one of the best orchestras in the world. Currently we have a really good violinist and a really good violist(She leaves this year so then I will be first, sweet) but I cant think of other orchestral beatles songs

Woodstock
01-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Strawberry Fields Forever has a cello in it, doesn't it?

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
01-15-2005, 10:14 PM
I think.

To everone: Do you think when the Beatles were 1st introduced to weed is important?

Woodstock
01-15-2005, 10:17 PM
I think.

To everone: Do you think when the Beatles were 1st introduced to weed is important?
As important as the planets lining up.

DeusExMachina
01-15-2005, 10:42 PM
We had an amazing violinist who has graduated and now he plays in one of the top chairs for one of the best orchestras in the world. Currently we have a really good violinist and a really good violist(She leaves this year so then I will be first, sweet) but I cant think of other orchestral beatles songs

My old high school was filled with a bunch of obscenely talented musicians. My new school has like... one really exceptional musician, and thats it.

When the Beatles were first introduced to weed was an extremely important event in music history.

Seafroggys
01-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Strawberry Fields Forever has a cello in it, doesn't it?

Oh yes. That G F Eb sequence in the second verse is the greatest chord sequence of all time. Oh baby yes.

ANGUS YOUNG13
01-15-2005, 11:44 PM
oh man the beetles are one of the most influencial band ever created in the entire history of rock :cool:

mprules
01-16-2005, 12:45 AM
you are bloody annoying and post too much, go away

Woodstock
01-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Oh yes. That G F Eb sequence in the second verse is the greatest chord sequence of all time. Oh baby yes.
:lol: Yeah, they were the best at it.

DeusExMachina
01-16-2005, 09:20 AM
The Beatles definitely created the best chord progressions ever. Holy crap, they were good.

Woodstock
01-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Yep, A Day In The Life, Across The Universe, Yesterday, and Mother Nature's Son are my favorite chord progressions.

led_zep_luvr
01-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Hehe, awesome.

I'm always listening to my parent's Beatles records. They're practicaly mine now :D

Walrus Gumboot
01-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Wow, I really wish my HS had an orchestra... all we have is a power-hungry elitist type band. They pay tons of money to go on vacations to England/Disneyworld and win awards! Because it is a real, serious competition! Because they are paying to compete! Wowee! :scowls: I quit because they treated freshmen like crap way back when I was one. I wish we had an orchestra.

Who played cello for the Beatles? Was it one of them or someone else?

PS: Blue Jay Way also has a cello

PPS:Woodstock, I went to Woodstock NY today! Just thought I'd mention it...

Woodstock
01-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Wow, I really wish my HS had an orchestra... all we have is a power-hungry elitist type band. They pay tons of money to go on vacations to England/Disneyworld and win awards! Because it is a real, serious competition! Because they are paying to compete! Wowee! :scowls: I quit because they treated freshmen like crap way back when I was one. I wish we had an orchestra.

Quiet! I'm in band. :p

Very cool. I wish I could go there.

Broken Arrow
01-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Ontario has a Woodstock:cool:

/dies

the12thplanet
01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Eleanor Rigby = sweetass song

Walrus Gumboot
01-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Ontario has a Woodstock:cool:

/dies

Ontario is pretty cool, we drove through it on my way to Gracefield/Blue Sea and there was a some kids crossing a crosswalk and one had a rubber ducky painted on his face :thumb:

Survey: Which Beatle had the best hair?

/is only half serious

LedZeppelin173
01-16-2005, 07:38 PM
ticket to ride is such an awesome song

DeusExMachina
01-16-2005, 07:50 PM

Hahaha. The band at my school is weak. My old school had an amazing jazz band and an amazing orchestra, but was piss poor so we didn't have other bands or anything. We had to have paper drives because the school couldn't afford paper, but it was an amazing school. I loved it... *nostalgia* My new school sucks though. **** rich preppy kids... *whiney moment* Anywho...

The Beatles had session musicians do all the classical instruments. At least, I'm pretty sure they did. But, George Harrison did play 46 instruments... so, you never know.

cockbain
01-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Some have heard of them, and some havent, George Harrison was a member of the travelling wilburys check them out they're pretty wicked

DeusExMachina
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah. The Traveling Wilburys are awesome.

clown_phobia
01-16-2005, 09:57 PM
I was in the city today, walking down the street. As I walked past a surf style clothing shop, I hear All You Need is Love. I thought "Great!" and sat outside listening to it (it was being played very loud inside the shop). About an hour later, I'm still there, as they've played about a dozen Beatles songs.

Good times. :thumb:

The songs that were played were:

All You Need is Love
Hello, Goodbye
Hey Jude
Get Back
Let it Be
The Ballad of John & Yoko
Something
Come Together
The Long and Winding Road

Plus more (i'll edit when I think of them).

Well, that made my day :). I just sat there listening for ages :)

Woodstock
01-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I've never heard their material, since I can never find it.

DeusExMachina
01-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Clown Phobia, that's awesome. Man, that would be so cool.

Sgt._Joker
01-16-2005, 11:08 PM
I've never heard their material, since I can never find it.
search for End of the Line, great acoustic song by the travelling wilbury's.... if u search for a spefic song u might have more luck.. pity bout the lyrics tho they get a bit cheesy if u quoted them u could win miss america or miss unvierse :P

Beatles best hair?:

John Lennon in his solo career,
Paul McCartney During Let it Be and the roof top concert
George harrison pretty much at every stage
Rigo during Paperback writter clip

BillCosby
01-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Beatles best hair?:

Paul McCartney's mullet days

Sgt._Joker
01-16-2005, 11:11 PM
anyone know what travelling wilburys song used a beatles Dont let me down riff..?
i need to know bad so i can hear it, a guy in the guitar shop played it for me but i forgot :(

Sgt._Joker
01-17-2005, 05:57 AM
any one like oasis? i do as they remind me of the beatles,, if u wanna talk oasis here is not the place but i have started an oasis thread so check it out

Woodstock
01-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Paul McCartney's mullet days
Nah, George Harrison's mullet was much worse.

BludgeonySteve
01-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Hehe, cmon. Everyone knows the mops rules over all.

DeusExMachina
01-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Man, I dig the hippy hair. That was rad stuff.

Woodstock, I have both of their studio albums, plus a bootleg (I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg) and a Tom Petty CD that were combined onto two discs. Those crazy russians. Anyways, if you want, I can send it your way.

BludgeonySteve
01-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Harrison truely did have the best solo career.

Johnny B. Good
01-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Harrison was also the coolest Beatle

Badmoon
01-17-2005, 12:50 PM
And most talented.

Johnny B. Good
01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
and the most underrated

DeusExMachina
01-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah, Harrison was awesome. Badmoon, I'm not sure if I agree with "most talented." Most talented musician? Yeah, I'll definitely go with that. But most talented songwriter? Tough to say. Considering that Lennon and McCartney wrote so much material for The Beatles, its understandable that they would burn out somewhat after The Beatles broke up. However, Lennon + McCartney > Harrison at songwriting. By a lot.

Woodstock
01-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, Harrison was awesome. Badmoon, I'm not sure if I agree with "most talented." Most talented musician? Yeah, I'll definitely go with that. But most talented songwriter? Tough to say. Considering that Lennon and McCartney wrote so much material for The Beatles, its understandable that they would burn out somewhat after The Beatles broke up. However, Lennon + McCartney > Harrison at songwriting. By a lot.
Very true, Harrison was a much better musician than songwriter. But, he did have a few gems.

Paul was a pretty good musician, piano, guitar, bass, and even sometimes the drums.

DeusExMachina
01-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah, Paul was a good musician, but its hard to top 46 instruments. Even if he wasn't amazing at them, just the fact that Harrison played 46 is unbelievable.

Broken Arrow
01-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Very true, Harrison was a much better musician than songwriter. But, he did have a few gems.

Paul was a pretty good musician, piano, guitar, bass, and even sometimes the drums.
Yeah didn't he play drums in Back in the U.S.S.R.?

DeusExMachina
01-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah. I don't know if he played drums on anything else though.

Johnny B. Good
01-17-2005, 07:16 PM
what? "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"> Lennon + McCartney songs

Sgt._Joker
01-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Paul McCartney the most talented in all area's of music, he wrote film music with george martin and plays a range of instruments and knows his theory,
George harrison was the best guitarest and i'd rate in as about the 3rd best guitarest in history.
Paul McCartney has the most succsessfull solo Coureer,
John Lennon's would of been the best out of everyones but... it was cut short :(
George harrison was in the cooles band after the beatles (travelling wilbury's)
and Ringo was in Thommas the Tank Engine,... did he start it?

I was watching the beatles anthology... best thing i have ever seen Ringo, George and Paul sitting round a table talking bout the beatle days...... pity john wasnt there :(

But Imagine john lennon alive now, he'd get right behind everything, the Tsunami etc and i thnk he would of written loads more and better songs.

Badmoon
01-18-2005, 10:57 AM

Well, musician is what I actually meant. :)

Paul McCartney the most talented in all area's of music

Paul McCartney still admits that he can not read sheet music. While George is greatly skilled at about 46 instruments.

DeusExMachina
01-18-2005, 11:30 AM
what? "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"> Lennon + McCartney songs

Come Together + Help + In My Life + Let it Be + Hard Day's Night + Hey Jude + Penny Lane + Strawberry Fields Forever + I Am The Walrus + All You Need is Love + Hello, Goodbye + Eleanor Rigby + Here, There and Everywhere + I'm Only Sleeping + For No One + A Day in the Life + Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds + She's Leaving Home + Back in the USSR + Blackbird + Happiness is a Warm Gun + Julia > George Harrison.

Don't get me wrong, I love George, he's unbelievably talented, but for every one amazing song he wrote, Paul and John wrote ten.

BludgeonySteve
01-18-2005, 12:14 PM
While My guitar gently weeps is a very good song but Hey Jude, I am The Walrus, Back In The USSR, All You Need Is Love, Let it Be and a bunch of other songs are much better.

+ Jeff Healey's version is better.

Badmoon
01-18-2005, 12:22 PM
No it isn't.

DeusExMachina
01-18-2005, 01:50 PM
I haven't heard the Jeff Healey version. Someone want to send it to me? Oh, and on a completely different subject/band, who wants to send me some Doors CD's? Anybody? I have lots to trade...

Broken Arrow
01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
While My guitar gently weeps is a very good song but Hey Jude, I am The Walrus, Back In The USSR, All You Need Is Love, Let it Be and a bunch of other songs are much better.

+ Jeff Healey's version is better.
I agree with all of those except All You Need is Love it isn't as Good.

Deus I have it but my AIM has problems with file transfers :confused: :angry: :upset:

DeusExMachina
01-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Hmm.. ****. Oh well. Anyone else have it?

Walrus Gumboot
01-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Deus, I have Morrison Hotel and The 1985 Greatest Hits if you want The Doors- IM>cowspots6666

I think their Let It Be era hair was the best :D

And as far as the timeless "best solo career" argument goes, I think:

John: had some **** good stuff and loads and loads of crap
Paul:Good, nice sound, but none of it ever got to me like george/john's stuff
George: all I have is All Things Must Pass which is excellent, I can't say I know much about his solo career, but I like what I know
Ringo: heh heh. I think my parent's saw his all-star band in '94 or so

Broken Arrow
01-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Deus, I have Morrison Hotel and The 1985 Greatest Hits if you want The Doors- IM>cowspots6666

I think their Let It Be era hair was the best :D

And as far as the timeless "best solo career" argument goes, I think:

John: had some **** good stuff and loads and loads of crap
Paul:Good, nice sound, but none of it ever got to me like george/john's stuff
George: all I have is All Things Must Pass which is excellent, I can't say I know much about his solo career, but I like what I know
Ringo: heh heh. I think my parent's saw his all-star band in '94 or so
Since when were the Doors a factor in thjis trade. :confused:

/loves the Doors and has all six albums