PDA

View Full Version : Difference between monitors and speaker cabs

LTJ386
11-22-2004, 10:52 AM
What is the difference between monitors and speaker cabs? My band had a speaker cab that is broken and we figured that it would just be better to buy some new ones (they're old anyway). We saw a pair of "monitors" for a good deal and we were wondering if they served the same purpose as a "speaker cab" and also if they would hook up with my powered mixer.

Johnny 5
11-22-2004, 11:18 AM
What is the difference between monitors and speaker cabs? My band had a speaker cab that is broken and we figured that it would just be better to buy some new ones (they're old anyway). We saw a pair of "monitors" for a good deal and we were wondering if they served the same purpose as a "speaker cab" and also if they would hook up with my powered mixer.

Probably not, I mean, they MAY work, but monitors are generally of lesser quality and power than regular cabs. I'd go with regular cabs.

TheFreakinSauce!
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I'll put it this way. Monitors are designed so that the BAND can hear what they sound like. Which means that the cabinet is only designed to throw it's sound about 10 to 12 feet at the most. On the other hand you have speaker cabinets that are designed to throw the sound evenly sometimes hundreds of feet.

So it goes like this: For a small gig in a room that is about 40 square feet and has flat concrete walls you may be able to get away with running moniors as your speakers, but any real gigs will require actual speaker cabinets.

And they SHOULD work with your powered mixer...
Hope this helps

The Sauce

moaner
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
the main thing is that most monitors are slanted upwards so that on stage they'd be pointing at your ears. Speaker cabs are straight.

I would just get some proper speaker cabs if I were you, they aren't very much more expensive than monitors...

But if you need some monitors and can get some cheap go for it, bearing in mind you'll need something to power them (like one of those 80w kustom PAs)

Levitate
11-22-2004, 09:19 PM
monitor=slanted so you can set it on the floor
speaker cab= square box

jbl 15 eon g2 = both; superior in every way IMO

why?

because it has a built in amp and mini eq.

because it is super loud, and is a monitor and speaker cab, and is small.
I think the average singer should have 3 speakers.

2 amplifiers are good, in case one breaks down in a gig you have a backup.

LTJ386
11-22-2004, 09:26 PM
the main thing is that most monitors are slanted upwards so that on stage they'd be pointing at your ears. Speaker cabs are straight.

I would just get some proper speaker cabs if I were you, they aren't very much more expensive than monitors...

But if you need some monitors and can get some cheap go for it, bearing in mind you'll need something to power them (like one of those 80w kustom PAs)

Got any links to those proper speaker cabs you were talking of?

LTJ386
11-24-2004, 12:42 AM
bump

moaner
11-24-2004, 11:32 AM
Got any links to those proper speaker cabs you were talking of?

depends which side of the atlantic you're on! Peavey make pretty high quality and budget speakers.

just search ebay for

PA (cab, speakers, speaker)

and you should get what you're after