PDA

View Full Version : How to write Lyrics

Pazz
11-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Been really bored lately and I want to write some lyrics. The only problem is I can't fit things together and I don't know what to write about. I was just wondering how do you write your lyrics. Did you get inspred by some songs? And did you write them out or did you just use your computer?

moaner
11-21-2004, 12:55 PM
it doesn't matter hwat oyu write them with.

There's no such thing as "how to write lyrics", it comes from the creativity. Some poeple are better at it then others, but you can't learn to write good lyrics.

KissMeIamSh*tFaced
11-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Ouch moaner... you just crushed my hopes of becoming a good lyricist.

Dredg
11-21-2004, 01:38 PM
it doesn't matter hwat oyu write them with.

There's no such thing as "how to write lyrics", it comes from the creativity. Some poeple are better at it then others, but you can't learn to write good lyrics.

Hmm, I partially disagree. I agree that there's no such thing as 'how to write lyrics' but I think you can learn how to do it, just by doing it. I never used to be any good at it but I think of myself as quite compotent now having written a few songs.

Practice makes perfect :thumb:

Trooper
11-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Think of an experiance in your life.
A happy one, sad, angry or whatever then just write what you feel and think.
Doesn't have to be all in song just now just get some lines down, they don't have to fit just now.
Once you've got that start messing about with them and make it into a song.

At least that's how I do.

moaner
11-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Ouch moaner... you just crushed my hopes of becoming a good lyricist.

haha

you and me both brother. I'm hopeless.

Trigger_003
11-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Don't worry if your first songs aren't as good as one of your fave artists, fact is, they won't be... unless you copy them :P

Practice is what comes in here. After trying around with different things, you'll come up with some techniques that suit you... just try not to make the mistake of forcing your rhyming... oops gotta go to school - cya later.

RushHourSoul
11-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Most of the time you can get away with any lyrics if its sung good.

NoMoreHate
11-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Been really bored lately and I want to write some lyrics. The only problem is I can't fit things together and I don't know what to write about. I was just wondering how do you write your lyrics. Did you get inspred by some songs? And did you write them out or did you just use your computer?

You might like to note that there is an entire board dedicated to songwriting just above the jam session. You might want to check out some of the lyrics there :)

i am the robots
11-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I listen to instrumentals, and write to those :thumb:

Pazz
11-21-2004, 08:59 PM
You might like to note that there is an entire board dedicated to songwriting just above the jam session. You might want to check out some of the lyrics there :)

Woah! I didn't even notice that :confused:
Thanks! :wave:

The Digital Pimp
11-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Use the stuff you learned in english!

You know, verbal devices. Many of them you will use intuitively already, but it's good to know that you know what you are doing, and the range of them available. These will help create images in your writing that will make you lyric writing more immersive. Here are some common ones:

-alliteration: multiple consonant sounds eg: "crushed cars" "a tale of trouble and torture"

-allusion: referring to something, eg: using "star crossed lovers" to talk about your girlfriend, is an allusion to Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. "send in your Trojan horse" is of course an allusion to Troy in Greek mythology.

-onomatopoeia: using words of sounds eg: crash, bang, sizzle, hiss, pop, boom

-simile: comparing one thing to another: "the stars are like diamonds"

-metaphor: saying that something takes on the qualities of something else, much like a simile, except instead of saying something 'is like' something, it 'is'. eg: "the cat's eyes were jewels, gleaming in the darkness". "the window was etched with frost". "my fear is a prison"

-hyperbole: a deliberate exaggeration: "tons of money"

-symbol: when an image is symbolic of a feeling/situation. A simple example is the cross, a symbol of Christianity. You could sing about a boiling kettle to symbolise your anger.

-parallel construction: beginning a sentence with the same opening words, an example is Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech

-personification: giving an non-human object human qualities: "the sun smiled on us" "the vines grasped my legs" "time stood still"

-pun: a play on words: "he's out at the inn!"

-satire: "The use of mockery, irony, or wit to attack or ridicule something, such as a habit, idea, or custom that is, or is considered to be, foolish or wrong. " Political lyrics often satirise.

-oxymoron: Using opposite words in a sentence: "thunderous silence" "heavy lightness"

NoMoreHate
11-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Woah! I didn't even notice that :confused:
Thanks! :wave:

You're most welcome. And good luck with the writing.

BassMan182
11-22-2004, 12:15 PM
asking how you write lyrics is asking how you paint a masterpiece. it takes work, and natural creativity.

morrissey
11-22-2004, 12:43 PM
rep ++ to the digital pimp - excellent post me lad.

The best advice I can give is:
a. Just keep practicing. Write and write, and though you will have tons of crap songs, hopefully a couple will be half-decent. But writing is the only way to improve... your writing.
b. Take constructive criticism well. If 100 people tell you that line A sucks, you should probably consider altering it. But also remember that as long as you are happy with the song, that is all that matters :).

KissMeIamSh*tFaced
11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
haha

you and me both brother. I'm hopeless.

Hahaha Cheers

The Spliggity Splot
11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Step 1: sit down
step 2: write lyrics

or grab a guitar, put a riff down, and shout out random stuff.

I do the latter

The Spliggity Splot
11-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Oh, and don't use the word "pain" It's too cliche. No one cares about your "pain". Unless they're thinking about killing themselves and need an inspiration to die.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, I forgot how to edit

moaner
11-23-2004, 10:24 AM
And NEVER use the phrase "I wish I was dead". More cliched than black coal.

KissMeIamSh*tFaced
11-23-2004, 05:02 PM
write stuff like this:

I fell down and scraped my knee
Because she broke up with me

haha

Dredg
11-24-2004, 06:26 AM
write stuff like this:

I fell down and scraped my knee
Because she broke up with me

haha

:lol: hehe, think i'll use that one in my next song :thumb:

Lord Abortion
11-25-2004, 06:18 AM
writing at about 2 a.m usually helps me

Teri Jo
12-18-2004, 06:51 PM
I agree with a lot of what's said here. People always say my lyrics are the best features of my songs, so I'll pretend for a second that I know what I'm talking about.

METER. It's the same as for poems. It has to flow. It doesn't have to RHYME but it does have to flow.

One of my favorite songs, lyrically is a Tori Amos song "Silent All These Years" . It flows so well. And it talks to you. It would do so without a note of music.

As to subjects, well, that's an inspirational thing. Sometimes I just start off with a phrase people use a lot. Shoot, look at some of the songs that are or were hits. "What I Really Meant To Say", "Come On Over" (there are several songs with that title actually). I wrote one called "Didn't I tell you" - another one called "Famous Last Words". Just phrases, the mood I was in pretty much dictated the rest.

IMHO if you don't feel it, it won't be any good. IMHO.

*********Disclaimer: I am NO expert. If I was I'd be reeling off top 40 songs I'd written, now, wouldn't I?***********

Teri Jo

Shikyo
12-18-2004, 07:42 PM
I've recently started writing songs. For about a year I wrote poetry, which I thought I horribly sucked at. Anyway, I think it's all about creativity and to be creative you have to be in a creative mood.

I write my best songs when I'm having problems with something, I'll sit down... and I'll be listening to a song. Something in that song will create a spark in my mind and it will get me writing. I'll just start writing about all the problems that I'm going through and - tadah. I'll usually restart that song about 5 times to get a feel for the beat (it's easier to get stuff to go together). Just don't think that you're going to sit there and magically write a song in one sitting. Sometimes you'll just write a little bit before you brain dies on you. Wait for your creativity to jump again, then start writing again. You could start writing something completly new or you can reread the little that you did before and possibly build onto that.

However, if you're bored and you're having an okay life at the moment, that's not the way for you to write. You still have to get in that creative mood somehow though. The best bet - take things calm. Listen to a lot of creative music that contain a lot of good lyrics in them. Read poetry. Lie on your back and just think about things. You can even just step outdoors and walk around in nature to get your creativity jumping. After doing some of that, you might have a big creativity burst and you're set.

This might not work for everyone though. I'm just one person... and each person has a different amount of creativity. I have a friend that can write the greatest lyrics you'll ever read at anytime of the day without having to think about what he's writing. I also have friends that try and try to write but whatever they do it still turns out to be crap. Writing takes time, so don't think that your first song is going to be the hit you're waiting for. It takes a while to get warmed up. Also, for some encouragement to keep writing, show some of your friends the lyrics you write. Better yet, if you have a girlfriend - show her. You'll get points in two different areas with that. ;)

I hope I helped ya.

sexycakes
12-18-2004, 10:18 PM
my big advice (besides the already mentioned) is dont be afraid to leave a song unfinished. alot of poeple think that a song must be finished when that one feeling is there, but thats not necisarily true. for instance, the latest song i finished took me about 3 months to write because it applied to something in my life that was constantly changing, and the way i felt about this person went from great, to good, to go away, and finally to not being able to stand them.

another tip: dont be afraid to scrap something if u dont like it. just cause u write it, doesnt mean its gonna apeal to everyone, and if u dont see how it will appeal to everyone, just start over.

Splig
12-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah, i've wrote like 22 or so songs, but i've kept only about 7 cuz I usually just wait 10 days or so and forget completely about the song after recording it and come back to it and see if I still like it. That's how I make sure everythings 100%

tip: Don't concentrate too much on the lyrics. Don't be afraid to not make sense with the lyrics...most people who listen to music don't analyze lyrics too deeply anyways. I've found out that I write the best in the summer usually cuz i'm not stressed from school or anything, at like 10:00 in the morning.

Usually if I write a song at night, I don't like it when I come back to it...any reasons for this?

KKinsane
12-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Think of a key word feeling event or the like and build on it.

the time of day affects your writing as your state of mind will change through the day, and when your tired