PDA

View Full Version : High School Talent Show

Cort2003
11-18-2004, 11:43 PM
My band mates informed me today that tomorrow we are trying out for our schools talent show. We had practice tonight and we reinvented one of our songs,it sounds really kick ***. I have somewhat of a problem though, I have only played in front of a group no greater than 5 people. I don't get real nervous, but I wouldn't know since I have never played in front of a huge crowd. Plus this is my first school year at this place since 4th grade (I am now a senior), what do you guys think I sould do to re-assure myself to stay calm? Plus I don't really get into a song, the rest of the guys in the band jump around and everything, but I just say in place and headbang (mainly becuase I don't want to screw up what I am playing)how should I fix this without looking retarded? Please help me out.

Broly238
11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey man, I've done this too. But I play drums. "Getting into your song" doesn't mean you have to run around and jump and stuff. Just play your heart out, its not about you in front of a crowd. Its about your music in front of a crowd. You just got to get up there, be confident. Sure, you might get nervous.

Everytime I play a show in front of people, I get nervous about half of the first song. So just get up there. and just play the music you love to play.

Oh and BTW, you don't need to jump. like I said, or run around. you just need to show the people how much you love to play. Thats what counts. I watched a famous band play live once, and the first few songs, they didn't hardly move at all..

Hope I helped.

Teri Jo
12-18-2004, 07:08 PM
I must agree it's not movement, per se. It's connecting with the audience. Look at the folk singers old and new. They don't jump around. James Taylor is loved by many, and I am pretty sure he doesn't run all over the stage.

groovitude
12-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Nervousness is not a curse, it's an inadvertent blessing.

With plays and musicals I do, we always have three shows -- and generally have what is known as the "second night slump." The first night, you're nervous as anything -- everyone's wound up tight and nervous about the whole thing. And it comes off beautifully. We leave the stage screaming with ecstacy down the stairs of the backstage area and then up to the lobby. With such a perfect show the first night, we're not nearly as nervous the second night. And then the mess-ups abound, giving us the "second night slump." So just take a few deep breaths and do a few warmups beforehand, and you'll do beautifully.

As for you not moving so much -- don't worry about it. If you're playing great, then it doesn't matter. Though... don't be like Roy Orbison and stand ramrod stiff!! Don't be afraid to relax yourself and get yourself going with the beat a little bit -- it may help you to keep time.

Play hard!

Akehuka7
12-18-2004, 07:35 PM
well if you get nervous, then dont really look out at the audience much. just look down at your guitar, concentrate on what youre playing and make your song sound awesome

AJR1
12-19-2004, 05:26 AM
If there's a lot of stage lights, like say quite a few people in a big place. Then you can't see the audiance! I walked on stage and I was blinded, so I just played. But when I looked back I could see. It's just dark back stage. But good luck man, I can't add much to everyones perfect responses.

veggie 3.14
12-19-2004, 05:45 AM
Hey man, I've done this too. But I play drums. "Getting into your song" doesn't mean you have to run around and jump and stuff. Just play your heart out, its not about you in front of a crowd. Its about your music in front of a crowd. You just got to get up there, be confident. Sure, you might get nervous.

Everytime I play a show in front of people, I get nervous about half of the first song. So just get up there. and just play the music you love to play.

Oh and BTW, you don't need to jump. like I said, or run around. you just need to show the people how much you love to play. Thats what counts. I watched a famous band play live once, and the first few songs, they didn't hardly move at all..

Hope I helped.
That was possibly some of the best advice I've ever had. Rep++

(That's for everyone else, too.)

~Asphyxia~
12-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Then there are bands like rush whose drummer i forget the name of didn't even look like he was enjoying himself, he was concentrating so hard. As soon as it was over though he went nuts and jumped around and crap. Kickass show nevertheless. Good luck with your performance!

Oh, and rep++ to you guys, you are the kings of good advice!