PDA

View Full Version : S-1 Switching Question...

Twitch
11-18-2004, 05:44 PM
I was cruising through the Seymour Duncan site and came upon this

Of all the cool Stratocaster® mods I've been asked to do in my 25 years of guitar building, this one is by far the most requested and one of the easiest. As nearly all Strat players know, there is seldom call for two separate tone controls. Here's an easy way to simplify your volume/tone setup and add two very useful sounds to your instrument -- all at the same time. This mod replaces one of your tone controls with a double throw, double pull switch that enables you to activate the bridge pickup any time, no matter which position your selector switch is in. This adds the option of the neck and bridge pickups in series together (switch in position one) or all three pickups in series at the same time (switch in position four). Best of all, you don't have to rout, cut, hammer, fold, spindle, or mutilate your prized axe. However, as with any guitar modification, if you're not totally confident with a soldering gun, you should probably take your instrument to a qualified technician. Good luck and keep pickin'!

schematic-
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/win95tip.shtml

Is this what Fenders S-1 switching does?

guitarfreakguy101
11-18-2004, 05:50 PM
my friend has a fender strat with a s-1 switch...

all it does i think is it makes your bridge single coil pickup sound like a humbucker.

EDIT: I dont know what it does technically though

The_Shredder
11-18-2004, 05:54 PM
my friend has a fender strat with a s-1 switch...

all it does i think is it makes your bridge single coil pickup sound like a humbucker.

- Yeah... Not even close (S1 Switching is also available with humbuckers).

Essentially it allows for more pickup combinations, and some of the pickups will work in "series" togather. In othewords when you strum, one pickup will activate, then the other will after it. It's a pretty cool feature, and it sounds awesome.

guitarfreakguy101
11-18-2004, 05:55 PM
- Yeah... Not even close (S1 Switching is also available with humbuckers).

Essentially it allows for more pickup combinations, and some of the pickups will work in "series" togather. In othewords when you strum, one pickup will activate, then the other will after it. It's a pretty cool feature, and it sounds awesome.

i guess the info i got from my friend was way off mark.

/shrugs

The_Shredder
11-18-2004, 05:57 PM
i guess the info i got from my friend was way off mark.

/shrugs

- Not your fault :)

Twitch
11-18-2004, 06:04 PM
So is it like what that quote/schematic shows? I heard MikeJumps recording of it and it sounded awesome so I thought I could eventually get that installed into my MIM strat.

back to the front
11-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Is it true that all the new fender american deluxe series, are coming with the S-1?

Twitch
11-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Bumper

Bluesman
11-19-2004, 06:38 AM
IMO its an over glorified coil tap with series/parrell options

Dead-Eye
11-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Is it true that all the new fender american deluxe series, are coming with the S-1?

yep.

ARBITER
11-19-2004, 09:07 AM
new deluxes are so much crappier than previous IMO (with exception of S-1 system)

Twitch
11-19-2004, 04:32 PM
So no one really knows what S-1 switching is technically? If I took my guitar into a tech and asked him to install S-1 could he do it?

Animus Light
11-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Shredder, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that.

"Series" refers to "series circuitry" and if you know anything about physics, that has to do with the manner in which a circuit is build.. Whether two signals pass through straight to output or stack upon each other (quite essentially, though this is a horrible description).

Say you have two light bulbs and one battery.. In series circuitry, it would go battery->bulb A->bulb B->battery return.

In parallel circuitry, you have both bulb A and bulb B connected to the battery individually... ....I think... I don't remember parallel circuitry so well.

Tails
11-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Shredder, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that.

"Series" refers to "series circuitry" and if you know anything about physics, that has to do with the manner in which a circuit is build.. Whether two signals pass through straight to output or stack upon each other (quite essentially, though this is a horrible description).

Say you have two light bulbs and one battery.. In series circuitry, it would go battery->bulb A->bulb B->battery return.

In parallel circuitry, you have both bulb A and bulb B connected to the battery individually... ....I think... I don't remember parallel circuitry so well.

In parallel, they are both connected to the battery, but if one goes out, the other stays on.

It looks like:
Just ignore the dots, they are needed for spacing.

.|--------|--------|
.-...........|...........|
---.........A...........B
.-...........|...........|
---.........|...........|
.|--------|--------|

Twitch
11-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for hijacking my thread eternal :upset:

AREAFOTF
04-19-2006, 06:16 AM
oooh hackage