PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questions on music theory I must know!

fleas_fingers
11-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Call me ignorant but these questions really bug me and inhibit me from learning SOME theory because I donít see the point of it. I read lots of theory books and they go over all the different clefs, scales etc but they donít take into account inquisitive people like me to explain WHY they exist. They always assume that the reader will just accept it all by thinking: ďIt just is.Ē Please help me answer these questions.

1)What are scales for? What do you use them for? What is the point of them?
Is it for improvising, composing, to know what notes to play in a key, to know how many notes there are in music? WHAT?

2)What is the purpose of having more than one clef? Why canít every instrument just use one clef?
Sure, to differentiate high ranges from low ranges but WHY must the notes be read differently? Like the A in treble clef is read as a C in bass clef. Doesnít that make life much harder? And donít human beings strive to make life easier for themselves? Hence the inventions of instant noodles (the greatest invention ever I might add), make-up guns and electric hammers! A perfect example of the pointlessness of different clefs is the tenor and alto clefs. Hell, only the viola uses the alto clef and name me more than five instruments that use the tenor clef. Not to mention, they are so bloody hard to draw.

RushHourSoul
11-18-2004, 09:46 AM
1) Both. Scales are a great way to improvise well and to compose music.

2) Its been done like that for ages and I guess its just easier to do two clefs than 4 seperate one for each instrument.

TheFreakinSauce!
11-19-2004, 11:32 PM
k i'll try to help ya here as best as i know how.

Scales: Scales serve many functions in music. For one, if you get to the point that you can sing/play any scale properly, especially major scales, then you will have an OUTSTANDING grasp on key signatures. For instance, if you look at a piece of music and see that it is in Eflat major key, you automatically know most of the notes you will see on the page. Knowing the correct scale degrees is also a good method of building chords. Also, as stated earlier, scales are used quite often for improvization, especially jazz improv. There are also many instances when dealing with musical instruments that a scale is taken almost note for note and put into a piece of music. Knowing the particualr scale helps the reading ability of any musician.

Clefs: My apoligies for my ignorance, but I do not know the full answer to this question as of yet... :upset: My roomate probably knows however, I'll ask him about it sometime and may relay the info to everyone here, but until then good luck learning your theory brother!

The Sauce

Nightvision
11-19-2004, 11:41 PM
reps+ for the sauce - nice post for a second ever.... :)