PDA

View Full Version : getting into recording

thelemon32
11-14-2004, 05:49 PM
i am in a band, but i also just got interested in being a solo artist on the side. i've got a few questions though. if i have the software, the sound card, the mic and the instruments, can i record each instrument individually to different tracks, and then combine them? (actually i know you can, i just have a question about it) After i do that, how do i get the tracks to all go together and have the timing of them to all be consistent and the same so it actually sounds like a song? do i use a metronome or something?

Cain
11-16-2004, 02:37 AM
i am in a band, but i also just got interested in being a solo artist on the side. i've got a few questions though. if i have the software, the sound card, the mic and the instruments, can i record each instrument individually to different tracks, and then combine them? (actually i know you can, i just have a question about it) After i do that, how do i get the tracks to all go together and have the timing of them to all be consistent and the same so it actually sounds like a song? do i use a metronome or something?

If you're referring to making sure the rhythm is all the same, a click track(metronome) would help things, but I think what you're reffering to is making sure all the different tracks of stuff synch up correctly. If the program is worth its salt, it should have a playback feature that allows you to hear all the other tracks you've recorded as you make new overdubs. Check the help file and see if it has anything on that.

Merkaba
11-16-2004, 04:01 AM
yes, the program should provide an optional metronome/ click track .