PDA

View Full Version : Simple Recording Solutions..?

-TheGlassPrison-
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Well,
I'm a drummer and i want to get simple equiptment to record myself just to put it onto my computer.. i have some mics(real mics, not computer ones) so would a mixer be my only option.. is there anything that i can plug into my computer then plug a mic into it? If i use a regular computer mic, would it distort the sound and is this even possible to get a good sound out of?

help!

-Scotttt Buhhh

vizo
11-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Using a regular computer mic will not get you a good sound at all. Your best bet is to just use a mixer, as it has plenty of inputs for each individual mic. I know nothing about recording drums, but I'm sure a mixer would do it for you.

Also, you'd want a decent soundcard that is specifically for recording/theatre purposes on your computer if you're going to be doing this. SoundBlasters in my opinion just don't cut it for recording purposes.

-TheGlassPrison-
11-10-2004, 08:27 PM
ahh.. i cant afford a mixer!!! unless there is a cheap kind?

also, im wondering if there is such thing as an adaptor that you plug into your computer and allows you to plug mics into the back of it...?

thelemon32
11-10-2004, 08:52 PM
ha...you need drum mics. i know basically nothing about recording but i just picked it up and became interested this week so i'm thinking of buying a behringer 8 channel mixer for my computer...i'm guessing thats good for recording to my computer

DMBGuru
11-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Get a field DAT recorder. You could probably find on ebay for $250.

Or!

Get a minidisc recorder. Those things have amazing quality at really good prices.

Merkaba
11-11-2004, 03:07 AM
You can get any cheap powered mixer that has four to eight inputs. You can get a new one from Musicians friend for $100. YOu can run the rca cords out of the mixer and get converter that converts your one or two rca plugs into one 1/8 inch plug for the mono in jack of your soundcard or whatever. ON my dell i only have one. i dont know if there are any stereo enabled computers with like a left and right. but if so then you just get a rca to 1/8 " plug for each line coming out of your mixer. for me i have two rcas coming out of the mixer, converted to one 1/8" plug going into my soundcard. Radio shack will do you just fine for anything you need. But yea, for anyting close you could use a couple of regular mics if you dont have drum mics, well placed and record through a mixer to get any decent recording. fuk a comp mic though

exit
11-11-2004, 04:32 AM
I have a bit experience with recording and if oyu want to record your drums it all depends and how good do you want it 2 sound? using regular, non Pc mics will, well really screw things up in my opinion.
There are *cheap* PC solutions on the market like E-MU Computer mixers
aDvanced soundcards that can act as a mixtable. Just have to get hold on a good program that can record in different tracks. for 200$ you have a standard one.

I would suggest if you really like playing the drums to invest in drum mics. Why? well, if you are going to play in a group and you have to play using a PA its always good to have your own set because you know them best and sometimes they are even better quality.

I do have to admit when your finished buying all those stuff it wont be that cheap anymore. And maybe if you dont like to invest that much getting a mini disc probably is the best solution as i also have experienced they are VERY good for recording.

BTW another tip for bands: if you want to invest in some cheap recording stuff to make demo's an 8 channel input is enopugh because you can NEVER record everything at once. you have to do it in different tracks
My friends and I went to the studio's in july and here was our set up for the recordings. There is one guitar, 1 bass, 1 drum, 1 singer (sounds obvious huh :))
these were the tracks
voice
guitar
bass
(extra) bass slides
floor tom
tom
snare
splash
crash
high hat
bass kick
backing vocals
extra guitar (played afterwards)

NEVER play 2 instruments at once for recording. They will mix up and boy, does that spund crappy!!!!!! There are tons of beginning groups who make a demo this way. Pls dont make same mistake

Sorry for the long whining post

vizo
11-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Live recordings work sometimes though, but I do agree with you on tracking each instrument individually and not at once for demos and such.

-TheGlassPrison-
11-12-2004, 05:18 PM
i just want to do drums, i was at the music store today and they told me i could get an 8 channel mixer for 250-300.. plus i found that adaptor for 20$ canadian, so im set