PDA

View Full Version : problems with singer

dillinger44
11-09-2004, 10:02 PM
we are like a post-hardcore type band with intertwining guitars and effects and stuff. it's sort of an combination of new dillenger escape plan with relationship of command-era At the Drive In. anyway, we always get complemented on our songwriting, guitar playing, and live intensity, but everyone always throws in the disclaimer that "the singer sucks." he's not tone deaf or off key, but he has a lot of bad vocal tendancies, most of which i think come from his love of emo and pop-punk crap, like singing through his nose, holding a pitch and then going up like a half-step, and overall whiny singing. people don't really say he's bad, it's more that he's annoying. they always say his scream is really good, but he thinks he's a singer. when we're waiting to play shows, he walks up and starts singing like a taking back sunday song ,and it sounds awful. he looks at us for aproval and we feel embarased for ourselves and him. very awkward. anyway, we are in the studio right now and it's more prominent than ever, and there's an overall lack of intensity in the vocals. we're at the point now where we are playing with some national acts and doing small touring and stuff like that, and we feel like the vocals are holding us back. he just sort of fell into the role of singer. and he is one of our best friends. i feel like he likes getting the attention of being the frontman, but doesn't do any work to get better, i guess what i'm wondering is if this is a lost cause and we should kick him out, or if maybe vocal lessons and a sit down chat with him could help. thanks a lot.

Merkaba
11-10-2004, 01:33 AM
you know the answer to that

Priscilla Hernandez
11-10-2004, 11:34 AM
you have to balance both friendship and your position as a musician. Do you think his spoiling the quality of the music you can make?
if so, and you're serious with your music
you'l have a taugh time deciding

kriswrite
11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
If he's willing to take lessons, you might give him a month to shape up. If you don't hear a good improvement, you may need to gently let him go. It's tough to work with friends, but if he's a friend worth keeping, he'll understand that business is business...Don't let it get too personal.

Kristina
www.geocities.com/kristinasvocalstudio

session9
11-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Be honest with him - if he wants to make an effort to change, he will. Otherwise - dump that chump, girlfriend!

(Sorry, it did start to read a little like some kind of "sex and relationship advice" magazine columnist's reply. I got carried away there.)

moaner
11-10-2004, 01:59 PM
(Sorry, it did start to read a little like some kind of "sex and relationship advice" magazine columnist's reply. I got carried away there.)

hehe

poormorris
11-10-2004, 03:44 PM
you know the answer to that

truth++

dillinger44
11-10-2004, 06:53 PM
thanks gang,that's pretty much what i thought, i just needed some reassurance.