PDA

View Full Version : screamyness..

Joe_Pettibone
11-07-2004, 10:30 AM
yess. I know there's many threads on screaming and it's those that have enabled me to learn to scream in many different ways. but now that I've found my desired sound I've also found that I often end up hurting my throat at times :upset: . so can any of you vocal scholars please list any/all the possible reasons for me causing my throat harm, that way I can figure out what I'm doing wrong and change it. ;)

Merkaba
11-07-2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911

YOure probably tensing the throat and squeezing. incorrect techniques abound if you get pain

Joe_Pettibone
11-07-2004, 01:26 PM
and I can't tell what I'm doing wrong still.. it sounds great though, but I know I won't be able to keep it up with it causing pain/damage.. one question I have is..

If you damaged your throat during a rehearsal via incorrect technique.. would it hurt afterwards even if you screamed with correct technique.. in other words will it hurt regardless of technique until it heals?

Merkaba
11-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Youre correct. pain is pain. it means something is wrong. Stop.

If you pretend to sing and make no sound but move as you would, if you feel it then, it could be more of a strain or muscle problem, if you make a blank face and push out a hard note at regular pitch and it hurts, then you know its more of a cord problem. It could be a mixture of the two.
Of course i cant offer but so much over the net. Be smart if youre serious about your singing.

Joe_Pettibone
11-09-2004, 09:56 AM
what actually causes the pain/damage though? I know "Improper technique" but I mean, on a physical level, wht's causing damage?

Merkaba
11-09-2004, 01:29 PM
If it is indeed the cords and not the muscles. it is usually swelling and the small microscopic cuts that can occur from the friction of the air passing through the swollen cords since they cant vibrate and seal as evenly as normal.

It could be that you hae strained or pulled one of your muscles that control the cords.