PDA

View Full Version : Vocal nodule

Rats
11-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Well I think I have a vocal nodule. I don't know how it happened. I've been singing for the past year or so with no real problems and I'm pretty sure I've been using good technique because nothing has been hurting, but today all of a sudden I couldn't scream anymore, it just sounded like air, and though my range is still the same, my voice cracks in between notes. I looked up the symptoms of a vocal nodule and I have like 6 out of 8 of them.

So what should I do now? Obviously I should see a doctor, but should I stop singing completely or still do scales and warmups every day?

Merkaba
11-07-2004, 03:31 AM
Nodes form alot after singing with swollen cords over an extended period of time. When they are swollen they cant completely close as they should which means that one are will get more tesnion and abrasion than the others. If you have a node, it usually means you have some degree of bad or stressful technique or sheer overuse. You should see an "ear nose and throat doctor" to make sure. You could have pulled a larynx muscle as well. How long has this been going on? Do you smoke, drink? did you warm up well? It couldve been just mucus? how long did you try to sing for? what does your usual vocal day consist of?

If you cant get to a doctor i would recommend just taking a while off. If you really research and think its a node, you dont want to muck around with these things. Take a few days off to where you dont really even talk much. THis will help any swelling lesson. Dont clear your throat if you can help it. after a few days, do lots of vocalizing and exercises at speaking voice force. no pushing. and do lots of ee's and glisses up and down in your speaking force, and various melodies, humming zz sounds with the teeth closed,and other non pushing sounds so as to not push much air past the callous but to vibrate and massage the cords more. Dont worry about trying to get the sound of singing, or a clear sound. If you can, get to a doctor to make sure or seek a pro voice trainer.
keep us posted.

neurotic_basket_case467
11-07-2004, 10:59 AM
obviously you should see a doctor but don't worry over nothing
it happened to me lots of times you just gotta wait and let it pass... don't try to hit those high notes for a while and don't drink anything that's cold cause it won't do you well
and try to find a vocal coach I'm sure they can give you a good advice

Levitate
11-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Well I think I have a vocal nodule. I don't know how it happened. I've been singing for the past year or so with no real problems and I'm pretty sure I've been using good technique because nothing has been hurting, but today all of a sudden I couldn't scream anymore, it just sounded like air, and though my range is still the same, my voice cracks in between notes. I looked up the symptoms of a vocal nodule and I have like 6 out of 8 of them.

So what should I do now? Obviously I should see a doctor, but should I stop singing completely or still do scales and warmups every day?

most ENT websites say excessive talking, screaming, yelling, etc causes nodes. So if you are doing these things, you should learn how / when to stop, or a method to do them. For instance, lawyers talk alot in the courtroom and can get nodes, cheerleaders get them in the football season.

So it is not the end of the world if you have one. Alot of famous singers have them and it gives them their unique sound. They look like little white balls on the vocal folds. Remember, vocal folds are about as big as your eyelids, they do not need alot of pressure to become activated.

If you can't see a doc, stop doing wrong to your vocal folds and learn a correct method. I thought I had nodes at one point, but the ENT said everything was 100% fine. I still get sore throats in the morning, and my voice feels weak, so I am pretty tentative at this point as well.

Best of luck to ya :wave:

Rats
11-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Well I probably sing an average of 1 hour a day.. and I'm not a cheerleader or a lawyer so I dont yell or talk excessively. But I like to sing some pretty challenging stuff like The Used, Linkin Park, Queen. I've never had a professional voice lesson and I wanna start taking them but I can't find any teachers in my area that I can afford.

Merkaba
11-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Man if you sing only an hour a day there is no way you should be getting nodes.

And most lawyers and cheerleaders dont warm up their cords. I guarantee you at least 99.9% of them dont. why would they think about that?
You need to warm up longer and dont go directly into harsh vocals, when you do get back into singing. I'm willing to bet you dont even have a node and you just have stiff swollen cords covered with thick mucus. But to be on the safe side you should find out, or at least take a rest. what are your symptoms anyways?(not that I am a doctor or can diagnose, so dont get me wrong)

Rats
11-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Basically I can't scream as well and my falsetto is weaker. My range seems to be about the same, but my voice cracks when I'm singing higher notes and between notes. Also, for some reason, I'm able to hit high notes a lot easier than before, but the extremely high ones sound really ****ty.

Rats
11-07-2004, 07:07 PM
And I also don't smoke and I've had maybe 2 beers in the past year

Levitate
11-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Well I probably sing an average of 1 hour a day.. and I'm not a cheerleader or a lawyer so I dont yell or talk excessively. But I like to sing some pretty challenging stuff like The Used, Linkin Park, Queen. I've never had a professional voice lesson and I wanna start taking them but I can't find any teachers in my area that I can afford.

Singers from those bands you mentioned are using complex techniques to get their sound. The reason I say complex is because they produce their sound every day.

You also might want to consider that the singing that you hear on a CD is a combination of many tracks to give a fuller sound.

Alot of things go into loosing one's voice - could be alot of things. Basically, if you have good technique, and you are healthy, you will be able to sing fine. If you try advanced stuff, you will end up like the pros - having problems and getting node surgery and expensive teachers etc.

Hope that you consider proper technique and slowing down while your voice heals :chug:

Merkaba
11-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Levitate is right. Though chester does have just a strong voice. It is technique too.

If your cords are swollen you lose falsetto because they cant stretch as much. swelling will also make for breaks on notes for the same reasons and because if youre swollen youre less flexible, just like any other part of your body. And if youre swollen youve got some mucus at play as well. Take it easy for a few days. And by easy i mean no singing and less talking, and make sure youre relaxed when talking. talking can be hell on the cords because most people dont worry about them then. Keep us posted.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
11-08-2004, 02:19 AM
hey dude,i dont think you should worry about it right now....give it atleast about 2 weeks because i had the same thing and it lasted for a month an a bit an i freaked out an went went to a a ear,throat an nose doctor an he said it was just alot of swelling an i was still irritating it from tryin to keep screaming....so some advice from someone that was in the same position as you is just dont do no hard singing just hum about an sing the easiest songs for you with no force an no screaming or falsetto for a while....an drink alot of water...thats what i did.
If its really freaking you out just go see a doctor to get the truth but im sure it is probably the same thing as i went through

you also might start getting alot of mucus so use the water to keep it away

Merkaba
11-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Well spoken winter.

oh,nice to see you got rid of the mucus parka! Youre one of the lucky ones! hehe.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
11-08-2004, 02:52 AM
haha yes the old mucus parka...took awhile to figure that one out

Merkaba
11-08-2004, 03:51 AM
Tell Goughan i said whats up!

BassMan182
11-08-2004, 05:31 AM
what exactly are nodes/nodules? i think i know, but can't describe it...

Merkaba
11-08-2004, 02:13 PM
a callous

caused by the same things. Like a throat corn! ick.
rub your arm long enough in the same spot and it will get one too

Rats
11-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Whats a mucus parka? And how do I know if I have one?

Merkaba
11-09-2004, 01:30 AM
^ Winterseed did you see that?!!!

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
11-09-2004, 05:14 AM
haha yea i see.
Parka as in jacket/coat and mucus as in....mucus.
so your wearing a mucus jacket..nah jks
From what i have heard from merkaba it is a thick coat of mucus covering your chords..and this happens when they are swollen.
So if you are getting alot of mucus and it is hard to reach high notes an get any falsetto happening just rest ur voice a bit an dont do any hard singing an drink plenty of water.

Thank you for your time.

kriswrite
11-09-2004, 08:38 AM
This is not something you should mess around with. Get yourself to an ENT (ear, nose, throat doc), preferably one who treats singers. Until then, don't sing or scream, and limit your talking. (BTW, whispering is sometimes worse than talking.) Then, find yourself a great voice teacher, preferably one who's worked with singers who've had nodes. Don't mess around, or you may end up with years of vocal problems ahead of you.

Kristina
www.geocities.com/kristinasvocalstudio

Merkaba
11-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Whats a mucus parka? And how do I know if I have one?

Yea i always talk about the cords being coated in mucus. a bigger coat i referred to once as a parka(a thick winter jacket) and winterseed kinda went into a panic about its severity.

yea, listen to Kriswrite, she has alot of experience.