PDA

View Full Version : Song Endings

Seafroggys
11-04-2004, 10:31 PM
I was just curious how most of you guys in bands end your songs. When I write mine, I usually do a 'crazy hell' ending (last chord, where drums and lead guitar go crazy and stuff before the last cutoff note), or just a chord that fades slowly out. I've never really done songs that just ended on a staccato note or anything....does anybody else do this?

Win A Rabbit
11-04-2004, 11:08 PM
my guitarists and bassist are terrible at making anything unique up, so 90% of the time its just a note that fades out. in my side band where i make up the music, im always finding new ways to end songs. some examples are ending on the first verse "acoustically" - just one guitar playing lightly, or guitar and drums hit a note and let it ring while bass does little solos inbetween and then end on staccato. stuff like that.

just dont ever think to yourself "ive never heard that in a song before, i shouldnt use it." if it sounds good, go for it.

Merkaba
11-05-2004, 12:25 AM
yea, i suggest the "if you've never heard that before then do it" technique. Unless youre in a mainstream deal.

Rats
11-05-2004, 04:08 AM
if you cant find a way to end a particular song, you could just make the last note continue into another song, then see if the 2nd song is easier to end

Rats
11-05-2004, 04:09 AM
or if you're playing live, just do a lil jam between songs to not lose the audience's focus

StormX
11-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Sometimes I'll make up a little outro riff that I play a few times, getting slower and softer each time. Other times I'll hit a note and tune down the string. AND other times I'll do a little chord progression.

Dredg
11-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Variety is good. When you come to the end of the song, try different ways of ending it...exhaust the possibilities - you'll eventually find something that fits and stuits the song :thumb:

Concertina
11-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Listen to the Strokes and Hot Hot Heat for some ideas.

attocarret
11-08-2004, 12:49 AM
just go crazy with tremelo for a little while

tallicaperko
11-08-2004, 06:45 PM
little solo

BassMan182
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
coldplay are masters at harmony endings. personally, i prefer songs to end all instruments together and then fade out. i also like extended endings, like Stop crying your heart out (oasis).

Blink_Fan315
11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Its not that hard to think of,examples: fade out just keep repeating something and slowly fade out,or build up and then just hit one note then stop, or just let everything ring out,or have the other instruments stop playing and have one person play something soft (i do this for one of my bands songs, its a softer song and i play bass so i just play this little riff at the end), or have the person keep talking or singing with one or no instruments, or have a harmonic ending, and if u have a something with effects or a piano or dj u could just have the play out with a little beat or melody.