PDA

View Full Version : Blown Speaker = problems

xeonman9000
11-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi, I have some electronic drums set up at home which I run through an old hi-fi amp rated at 154watt. I was using a pair of 40 watt speakers (i.e. 80 watts total) and it worked fine for a while intil the right one blew without any warning. Now, would it be OK to bring in one of a huge 150watt speakers to use on the left (ie 190 watt total) and move the working 40 watt speaker over to the right (theres no room for the 150 watt speaker on the right) (ie 190 watt total)? What I'm trying to say is will the amp split the power proportionally between the two speakers, or will it send 77watts (ie 154/2) to each speaker when running on full volume?
I think that makes sense, but if not just say and I'll try to explain it better.

Aes820
11-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Is it a stereo hi-fi amp? Because if it is a stereo amp it will be sending 75 (or whatever) RMS watts to both the left and right channel. So the other 40 watt speaker may also eventually blow.

But, if it is a mono hi-FI. Then it should be alright to do so. The power will distribute between the two speakers. And while they are connected together the total safe power handeling for them will be 190 watts.

But, honestly, I think that chanses are the hi-fi system is stereo, and you wont be able to do it.

My advice to you would be go and buy a cheap second hand guitar or keyboard amp and use that. I wouldnt reccomend using your home Hi-Fi.

xeonman9000
11-04-2004, 05:53 PM
It is a stereo amp, so it looks as if I'll have to get both my 150 watt speakers and fit them in somehow. I'm not sure if the right speaker is blown though, it never sounded distorted or had any problems with it, maybe there is just a loose connection or something, I'll see if I can get it looked at. It's not my Mum and Dads hi-fi btw, I just bought the amp section off my mates old hi-fi.

Aes820
11-04-2004, 06:06 PM
2x 150 watt speakers would be a good option for you.

Merkaba
11-05-2004, 12:28 AM
yea I learned this through drum machine usage. Plus the manual says dont use it with "normal" speakers. you need some specifically designed for handling high outputs.

IbanezAxer
11-07-2004, 02:50 AM
yea, my friend has a elec drum kit and has a pair of JVC speakers that handle 100Watts the sound like a real drum set