PDA

View Full Version : RPG whats the best???

Cyonidedrum
11-04-2004, 09:00 AM
I really love RPGs their brilliant, i'm currently playing on Diablo 2 at the moment (awesome) but i need to know some other good ones to buy.

suggestions please.

ImNotCrying
11-04-2004, 09:07 AM
fable, star ocean

SptsNaz
11-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Chrono Trigger

Volkert314
11-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Final Fantasy(any but 8)

Star Ocean

Chrono Trigger/Cross(old, but good)

if you like MMORPG's, Try EverQuest, FF XI or even Star Wars Galaxies

Cyonidedrum
11-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I've never heard of most of those (excluding ff series), are they on pc???

DonMancini
11-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Earthbound owns.

ventura
11-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Fable??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That was a poor excuse for a game.

Daggerfall is the king of RPGs.

Volkert314
11-04-2004, 09:13 AM

EverQuest and SW:G is on the PC but the others are for the PS2/PS1. FF XI is on both PC and PS2

SptsNaz
11-04-2004, 09:14 AM

If you haven't heard of Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross you're missing quite a lot. I think Chrono Trigger was the first benchmark to upcoming rpgs.

Chrono Trigger - SNES
Chrono Cross - PSX

ImNotCrying
star ocean:till the end of time is out on PS2, its really good. Fable is on Xbox, you have heard of fable right? if not what planet are you from?

Volkert314
Fable??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That was a poor excuse for a game.

Daggerfall is the king of RPGs.

If Fable would have been online it would have been much better... that's what you get for rushing things

Vampyre de Mort
11-04-2004, 09:16 AM
fable, star ocean

Fable is awesome, but my all time favorites are Morrowind game of the year edition- i became a vamp and its really awesome after you get this one item, guards attack you and you have the right to kill them, i rid the whole town of the guards! Diablo games are cool too but not much to do after you beat it and collect the sets.

Cyonidedrum
11-04-2004, 09:19 AM
star ocean:till the end of time is out on PS2, its really good. Fable is on Xbox, you have heard of fable right? if not what planet are you from?

I don't actually own any consoles only a pc, i only ever get to play on my friends consoles now and again.

ventura
11-04-2004, 09:19 AM
If Fable would have been online it would have been much better... that's what you get for rushing things

Online doesn't make everything better. It probably would have sucked worse.

That's also what you get for trusting Peter Molyneux to create what would have been an amazing game. Too many promises, too little delivered. The hype has died, and Fable, with it's nasty little mark on the gaming community, won't be remembered. Fable is no real RPG, although it falsely tries to be.

Volkert314
11-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Online doesn't make everything better. It probably would have sucked worse.

That's also what you get for trusting Peter Molyneux to create what would have been an amazing game. Too many promises, too little delivered. The hype has died, and Fable, with it's nasty little mark on the gaming community, won't be remembered. Fable is no real RPG, although it falsely tries to be.

I think the only problem i had with the game was it was too short. I though the game had great graphics, a different way of dealing with things(on how you choose your path.) It really reminded me of KOTOR(Star Wars) in how you can choose the light or dark side.

ventura
11-04-2004, 09:51 AM
I think the only problem i had with the game was it was too short. I though the game had great graphics, a different way of dealing with things(on how you choose your path.) It really reminded me of KOTOR(Star Wars) in how you can choose the light or dark side.

Graphics don't define everything. Fable had graphics and a decent fighting system, but that's it. You can't even compare it with KOTOR, which was such a great game. Alot of games have utilized the light/dark 'meter' before.

Zmev
11-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario RPG (shut up i like that game), Earthbound

angry armadillo
11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
The only RPG ever to have held my attention is star wars : knights of the old republic.

Neo_Getz
11-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Final Fantasy 7+ ALL gd rpg's specially considering u can now choose the outcome :P

Volkert314
11-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Graphics don't define everything. Fable had graphics and a decent fighting system, but that's it. You can't even compare it with KOTOR, which was such a great game. Alot of games have utilized the light/dark 'meter' before.

I don't think Graphics define everything, but it is part of the game I look at. I can take a game with bad graphics(older FF) but have a great story and think it's better than a game with great graphics but a terrible story. I'm not comparing the games but the system they used on how you choose your path.

Neo_Getz
11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't think Graphics define everything, but it is part of the game I look at. I can take a game with bad graphics(older FF) but have a great story and think it's better than a game with great graphics but a terrible story. I'm not comparing the games but the system they used on how you choose your path.

FFX-2 is best for chosing your path, that and morrowind. Your actions effect how the game procedes, how people interact with you and how it ends ect. plus they both have gr8 gameplay overall when not following the story line.

Neo_Getz
11-04-2004, 10:25 AM
EverQuest and SW:G is on the PC but the others are for the PS2/PS1. FF XI is on both PC and PS2

i cant remember which but oneof the older FF is on pc too.

SidMcGee
11-04-2004, 10:28 AM
chrono trigger n golden sun are two great RPGs

Maggies_Farmer
11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
If you have to play only 2, for the love of god play
Final Fantasy 7
and Little Big Adventure

kiss_my_bass
11-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Is Fable really that bad cos i was gonna buy it, but now im starting to wonder

Shadowwynd
11-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Final Fantasy 7
and Little Big Adventure

Wow little big adventure!

My best random game purchase lol.. saw it, it looked interesting, bought it (ok so my dad did. i was like 11 lol) playe dit, got stuck, played it more and completed it. Then got LBA 2 lol, dodgy game but just as cool and hard.

Golden sun is good except it comes over 2 carts (really annoyed me when i completed no.1 lol only just got 2) and even now im not so sure its gunna finish on this cart (no completed it yet, almost there)

Chrono Trigger + Cross = 2 amazing RPGs (with an interesting link)

Maggies_Farmer
11-04-2004, 11:32 AM
lets all give 3 cheers for little big adventure

Volkert314
11-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Is Fable really that bad cos i was gonna buy it, but now im starting to wonder

Eh... I enjoyed it, but I thought it was too short and thought it should have been online, but it's all up to you. If anything, rent it or borrow it and than determine it from there

kiss_my_bass
11-04-2004, 12:17 PM
sounds like a good plan to me, cheers

rising_fury
11-04-2004, 01:38 PM
ff3, ff2, chrono trigger, earthbound, secret of mana, secret of evermore... go find znes (a super nintendo emulator) and download those games, you won't be disappointed :thumb:

RouteOne
11-04-2004, 02:34 PM
FF7 and XENOGEARS.

rising_fury
11-04-2004, 03:01 PM
FF7 and XENOGEARS.

i always forget about xenogears, despite it being one of my fav ps games

EonBlueApcolyps
11-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Mario RPG

Brew
11-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Final Fantasy 7
and Little Big Adventure

I had the demo of that game, but never got round to buying the full version.

It may have been LBA2 now that I think about it.

rising_fury
11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
what is little big adventure?

red barchetta
11-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario RPG (shut up i like that game), Earthbound

i liked mario rpg too - it was easy, but cool

i also like...
the ff series (especially 4,5,6,7,9)
dragon quest series
secrets of mana
legend of zelda series
the fire emblem series (it's a strategy rpg)
golden sun
the tales series
bahamut lagoon (another strategy rpg)

i'm sure i know more...

most of these games are on the SNES, the best console ever made :cool:

Slasktotten
11-04-2004, 04:59 PM
It depends on which system you own.

If you have a pc, i would suggest star wars knights of the old repuplic, baldurs gate 2+ the expansion.
If you are into mmorpg (rpgs you play online i would rekomend eve the second genesis) just give me you're mail and i can fix you into the ''buddy-program''.
You will then get one week of free gaming, you can download the game www.eve-online.com
Morrowind is also a good rpg for the pc. Also if you liked diablo 2 you should like Sacred

If you have an xbox, i would go with star wars knights of the old repuplic 2 (coming soon :D ) and soon coming jade empire ;) i would also get phantasy star online (but then you have to have xbox live even you paly offline :'( )

If you have an ps2 i would rekomend disgaea, final fantasy x (ff x-2 is crap) and baldurs gate dark alliance 2 really good games ;)

If yuo have a gamecube (which i for the love of good hope you havent) i would get the new soon coming fire emblem game, phantasy star online and if you can call it an rpg i would rekomend zelda the windwaker :)

Have fun!

RouteOne
11-04-2004, 05:38 PM
i always forget about xenogears, despite it being one of my fav ps games

Uh! I can't put in words how good Xenogears is if you try to get all the secrets and stuff. CLASSIC RPG.

LightningCow
11-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Final Fantasy-3, Earthbound and Lufia II

Kafkastolemyslippers
11-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Final Fantasy 7 is still the greatest game ever.

ShredMachine
11-04-2004, 06:53 PM
My favorites are FF7, KOTOR, the Baldur's Gate series, and Morrowind.

Shadowwynd
11-04-2004, 07:14 PM
gotta love secret of mana...

*drools in anticipation of new Seiken densetsu game coming to the not yet released GB: Duel Screen*

Dark alliance 2 (and 1 for that fact) are really good.. but to get the most out of it you need to play them with someone else.

And what the hells wrong with Gamecubes? we have some of the more interesting (very lose description) games like Wario Ware! (madness with 4 competent people lol) And we got good games like metriod prime and Eternal darkness. I do ahve to admit though that the cube is more of a 'Fun' console than the Ps2 or xbox.

By 'fun' i mean cute graphics and insane gameplay. Its not all cute graphics, but that kinda thing reminds me of anime and manga so i go for it lol.

Oh i played both lufia games a few years back (rom'd because we only just got it via GBA) quite liked them.. very strange but cool games.

xtreme chess
11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
i would have to say Zelda kicks fables arse, though i do own fable and play it alot, but Zelda just owns all cos theres so much to it

Maggies_Farmer
11-04-2004, 08:45 PM
FF8 is very underated here.

LightningCow
11-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Oh i played both lufia games a few years back (rom'd because we only just got it via GBA) quite liked them.. very strange but cool games.
I really liked Lufia 2 because I saw it as a really inovative game. Not in it's battle system, that was still strangely hypnotyzing... but in the fact taht it had a new game + sort of option and had a dungeon that was randomly generated where you started without any equipment at level 1 and then had to work your way down to the end, as the dungeon got progressively harder.

It got really buggy on the last dungeon level, but it was a great idea, which I've seen copied many times, but have never seen executed so well.

Der ‹bermensch
11-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Neverwinter Nights. Nice and long, + multiple expansions, and many usermade campaigns.

sleepy1212
11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
ff9 played with my emotions.

punkster998
11-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Super Mario RPG never got old. Oh how I miss the good ol' days of played SNES.

Bel Acres
11-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Dragon View for Super Nintendo.

Perfect blend of action and RPG.

Lionheart1827
11-05-2004, 02:46 AM
FF3/6 is the best IMO.

Chrono Trigger pwned too.

Xenogears pwned a lot too.

FF7=most overrated rpg ever. Can't compete with any of the above.

SNES RPG's > PSX RPG's :thumb:

Lionheart1827
11-05-2004, 02:48 AM
FF8 is very underated here.

Damn right man. FF8 is my 2nd favorite FF. People hate the game for stupid reasons-

1)"OH MY GOD, THESE SUMMONS ARE TOO LONG-THIS GAME SUCKS"

2)"I HATE JUNCTIONING"

3)"SQUALL IS A GOTH EMO KID"

I personally loved the game overall. It kicked so much ass and had the best FMV movies in any game. The intro, parade, garden battle, and the ending pwned so much. I was in awe with those. :thumb:

Slasktotten
11-07-2004, 01:16 PM
i gotta say that i don't think ff7 is the most overrated, in fact its the only game that have made me cry and makes the player ''feel'' something for the charakters.

sensitiveorgan00
11-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Asheron's Call.

Jim Hull
11-07-2004, 01:20 PM
FF7 is by far my fav. Great stroy and really enjoyable. I had to buy it again the other day because my old copy was scratched. I hate to admit it but I still have not compleated it...ever!

RouteOne
11-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Damn right man. FF8 is my 2nd favorite FF. People hate the game for stupid reasons-

2)"I HATE JUNCTIONING"

I personally loved the game overall. It kicked so much ass and had the best FMV movies in any game. The intro, parade, garden battle, and the ending pwned so much. I was in awe with those. :thumb:

I know! Junctioning was AWESOME.

RouteOne
11-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Seriously.....you guys got to play Xenogears........really.......

*crawls into cave to play video games*

King David
11-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Final Fantasy 7 (and the whole FF series, just awesome stuff)

RouteOne
11-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Final Fantasy 7 (and the whole FF series, just awesome stuff)

Except X-2.........gawd I hated that one......

King David
11-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Except X-2.........gawd I hated that one......
haven't play that one, or XII, but I havent heard good things about either one, not worth it.

red barchetta
11-07-2004, 01:41 PM

2)"I HATE JUNCTIONING"

i didn't like it not for those reasons, but because of the fact that levelling up was useless, and the game was unbelievably easy once you knew how to junction

Independent_CA
11-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Dungeon Siege is probably the best one I've played in a while.

If you're looking for a good MMORPG, then you might like WWII Online. It was crappy when it came out, but it is getting progressivley better.

Bartender
11-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Fallout 2.

And to a lesser extent, Fallout.

Fallout 3, with luck, will take this crown in the future.

groomits
11-07-2004, 02:30 PM
World of warcraft will kick *** too

sTeAl-ThIs-NaMe
11-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario 2 (currently playing), Dragon Warrior 3, and Final Fantasy 7

ALL GREAT GAMES!!!

Lord Abortion
11-08-2004, 08:20 AM
any final fantasy is brilliant
Baldur's gate 1+2 rule

Cipher Hour
11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Wild ARMs is an old classic that was overshadowed by FF7. It's a great game and I recommend it to RPG lovers (just make sure to play the first one before touching the sequels).

-Listy-
11-08-2004, 11:25 AM
FF7. Get it, get it now.

Nra4ever_17
11-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Seriously.....you guys got to play Xenogears........really.......

*crawls into cave to play video games*

Xenogears pwns

misfitsandcider
11-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I really love RPGs their brilliant, i'm currently playing on Diablo 2 at the moment (awesome) but i need to know some other good ones to buy.

suggestions please.

no you dont

diablo 2 online is ****ing awesome and i am somewhat addicted..... what realm you in i may come play wit yall

~Wu
11-08-2004, 11:47 AM
DEUS EX

meltedmagnet
11-08-2004, 01:16 PM
snes: tales of phantasia

meltedmagnet
11-08-2004, 01:18 PM
no you dont

diablo 2 online is ****ing awesome and i am somewhat addicted..... what realm you in i may come play wit yall

us east ladder.....working on a hammer pally but highest is a lvl 82 ww barb. did that in one weekend

diablo: :evil:
/ \
"" ""

Slasktotten
11-10-2004, 11:11 AM
waiting for jade empire and star wars knights of the old repuplic 2 :D
I think they will rock!
Oh, and you just gotta love Minsc in baldurs gate 2.

MCWalldo
11-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Skies of Arcadia

Deus Ex

Knights of the Old Republic

gaslight
11-11-2004, 12:19 AM
SNES style I liked Breath Of Fire, that game was fat.

On the PC, the best RPGs in my opinion were Baldur's Gate I and II. They consumed incalculable hours of my life.

When Dragon Age or whatever it's called comes out, I'm likely to upgrade my computer for the sole purpose of playing it.

sleepy1212
11-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Fallout 2.

And to a lesser extent, Fallout.

Fallout 3, with luck, will take this crown in the future.

I screwed up 1 & 2 by saving right before the very wrong spot.

Bartender
11-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Play them again, and again, and again, etc.

That's what makes them so good.

bassaholica2004
11-11-2004, 02:05 AM
Baldur's Gate 2 is definetely my favorite game now. I love long games, and this one is great. You can customize your chars to almost anything you want, great spells and weapons, and a really good story. I think its the best RPG ever, and its years old!

BTW, Baldur's Gate 3 is coming. I read on a site that they just announced it; they don't even know who's gonna make it yet. I hope to God its Bioware, but chances of that are slim. Speaking of Bioware, they have some cool-looking games coming out soon.

The Elder Scrolls III- Morrowind is also my favorite RPG. Its a lot like Baldur's Gate, except in first person view. The story line is very long too, and so is the map. I read that it takes something like 10 hours to walk from one end of the map to another. The game can last forever, too, with all the quests you can do.

Bartender
11-11-2004, 02:09 AM
I liked the experience system on Morrowind (that your skill at a certain thing improved as you actually did it, rather than being given abitrary points to spend; for example, being given experience points for slaughtering a warband, which you could then spend on your sneak skill or whatever), but there was too much emphasis on combat - there were some parts where you just had to fight your way out or through. So in the end, it wasn't open-ended enough.

bassaholica2004
11-11-2004, 03:00 AM
I just read about The Elder Scrolls IV- Oblivion. From what little we know and from the screenshots, this is going to be THE best RPG to ever exist. Here's a link to some screenshots (actual in-game shots) if anyone's interested.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm

gaslight
11-11-2004, 03:05 AM
Baldur's Gate 2 is definetely my favorite game now. I love long games, and this one is great. You can customize your chars to almost anything you want, great spells and weapons, and a really good story. I think its the best RPG ever, and its years old!

BTW, Baldur's Gate 3 is coming. I read on a site that they just announced it; they don't even know who's gonna make it yet. I hope to God its Bioware, but chances of that are slim. Speaking of Bioware, they have some cool-looking games coming out soon.

The Elder Scrolls III- Morrowind is also my favorite RPG. Its a lot like Baldur's Gate, except in first person view. The story line is very long too, and so is the map. I read that it takes something like 10 hours to walk from one end of the map to another. The game can last forever, too, with all the quests you can do.

Baldur's Gate series = awesome.

Bioware were/(are?) in my opinion the most promising games developing company around, it's a pity they were dumped by Interplay.

From what I've heard, Bioware aren't going to be involved in the 3rd Baldur's Gate, which is a shame, because the Baldur's Gate series was the most brilliant game series I've ever played. Fuck I just love it so Fucking much, Fuck!

Either way, Dragon Age is what Bioware are working on now, and some other thing, and it is going to be so, so cool.

^_^

Cybergasm
11-11-2004, 03:09 AM

suggestions please.
Expansion of Diablo2, Final Fantasy I-X-2,XII (don't get XI for moral reasons)... legend of dragoon, legens of legai, Lunar, breath of fire, **** its all good!

Cyonidedrum
11-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Expansion of Diablo2, Final Fantasy I-X-2,XII (don't get XI for moral reasons)... legend of dragoon, legens of legai, Lunar, breath of fire, **** its all good!

i put the expansion on as soon as i started.

TheBassicBassist
11-11-2004, 09:11 AM
I've not read a word of this thread, but if you want a kick *** RPG get baldur's gate for the computer not gamecube, then get the second one