PDA

View Full Version : Recording onto computer using several mics

osirisblind
11-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey, so my band has been recording from our basement onto our computer and we've been using 5 mics and an 8 channel mixer. So far it's been ok but I'm having problems with the levels and such. When I record, I have to set the levels prior to actually recording because once it's on the computer you can't adjust levels/EQ.
Anyways, I was wondering what I need to buy so I can adjust individual channel levels/EQ on the computer after I have recorded my tracks.

If that sounds confusing, here's what I'm looking for..
Say I record some drum tracks and they are perfect and flawless and I really want to use these for my CD, however, the snare is too quiet and the bass is too bassy. How do I adjust the levels/EQ for these after they have been recorded?

Thanks,
Adrian

drummerboy71
11-03-2004, 11:05 PM
It's called multitracking Adrian. You need a sound card that can handle more than one input at a time. I've got an mbox which can record two tracks simultaneously(WOW) :thumb: good device though, and a good program with it "ProTools". I would look into something like the Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 for what you want to do or something along those lines for pc. You could also go with a standalone multitrack recorder. I used to have an AW16G which supported 8 track simultaneous recording. Loved that thing, only drawback to that one was the screen. Hard to edit the waveforms on it. I've seen some standalone's that incorporate a screen and a mouse which is really cool. Again it depends how serious you are about recording. I used to record me and my friend the way you are doing it now, and got some decent recordings out of it. For what you want to do it'll probably cost you around $700-$1000 presuming you have the mics and cables and such.

osirisblind
11-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Anyways, right now I am using an 8 channel (4 mono/4 stereo) mixer but when I record it just puts all the tracks into one.. So yea, I guess I can kinda get rid of it then, right?

And go buy some crazy sound card that has 8 different inputs??

drummerboy71
11-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Well don't get rid of the mixer; analog mixers are always good to have. If I were you, I would look on ebay for some sound cards whether pci, usb, or firewire. Good deals. I would start by looking into some digi 002's(the digi 002's that integrate the control surface are what i'll be getting whenever I get some money). :D

osirisblind
11-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Awesome, and that lets you adjust levels for individual channels after you've recorded??

drummerboy71
11-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Yep

exit
11-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Anyways, right now I am using an 8 channel (4 mono/4 stereo) mixer but when I record it just puts all the tracks into one.. So yea, I guess I can kinda get rid of it then, right?

And go buy some crazy sound card that has 8 different inputs??

Check www.emu.com

PC soundcards

BTW you do have to get a PC program to can handle multitracking

osirisblind
11-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I see, thanks. What would a program be that handles multi-tracking?

I use Audacity/Cool Edit Pro.. I can see up to like 100 tracks at once and such, that would be multi-tracking, right?

drummerboy71
11-12-2004, 11:52 AM
If you can set different inputs for the tracks, and then record them at the same time, then that would be multitracking. I haven't ever used cool edit pro though. If your recording in from your "line in" on your pc (This is a stereo input); try to set one track to record the left input, and the other track to record the right input. Make sure to pan one instrument left, and another one right on your mixing board. Then press record. If your program records the two different instruments/sounds on two different tracks, than your program will work for multitracking. :thumb: