PDA

View Full Version : Problems with melodic / rhythmic dictation

Puzzle
11-03-2004, 06:50 PM
alright, we started doing this in my AP theory class, and friday we start doing it for a grade.

I can usually get the first and last measures fine (on both), but in the middle I get caught up sometimes. We get to hear it three times as a whole.

any tips?

Merkaba
11-04-2004, 12:28 AM
honda honda lamborghini ford....cadillac cadillac, lamborghini honda

thats about all I remember. I really need to start back reading piano. I probably cant even read a simple line now.

owenbassist
11-04-2004, 09:34 AM
for melodic and rythmic dictations, theres a few tricks, but you mostly just need to practice it to build up your tonal memory.

some ways to figure out what to put down are:

1. listen for chord changes. if you can figure out what the progression is, then it is easy to listen for and identify what chord tones are being used, and what non-chord tones are there

2. listen for parallell structures. often in music, a phrase is repeated, if not exactly the same, then something similar is often used

3. listen on more than one level. for example, in one measure the melody may begin on scale degree 3, then theres a lot of other stuff in the measure, but then the next measure might begin on scale degree four. you have to listen to the relationships between the strong beat notes.

theres some more tricks to it, but i can't think of them at the moment

bucket
11-07-2004, 10:06 AM
For rythmic all I do is write little slash marks. Like for a quarter note, write a small slash, eight- really small slash, 16th- dots, and for things lasting more than one beat I hold my pencil down and if it's say a dotted half, I make three continuous humps.

I do all of that below the place where I put my actual notes so it's easy to fill in after it's played.

Yes, that is suppose to make sense.

And for melodic.. ehh... I usually don't get it all right but I try to sing the solfege in my head.

Oh yeah, and just in case you're not smart, make all of the measures beforehand (unless you're teached doesn't tell you how long it is.)