PDA

View Full Version : Euro Cup of '04

sweboy
11-03-2004, 05:57 PM
This is the thread were we discuss the Euro Cup of the last summer. Yes, that's soccer we're talking about, you crazy fools.

So, did Greece deserve to win? If not, what team did? Worst team? Nicest goal? Biggest disappointment? Best game? How much did Italy get owned by Scandinavia? Most fun team to watch? How much of an arrogant idiot is Totti? etc...

Discuss!

Whats in a name?
11-04-2004, 04:27 AM
did Greece deserve to win - imo no they basically went through on luck
The team that deserved to win - The Netherlands
Worst team - Italy because of Totti
Nicest goal - to many just to chose one
biggest disapointment - The Netherlands not making the final

How much of an arrogant idiot is Totti :)

StreetlightRock
11-04-2004, 05:03 AM
I was in Greece during the final!!! It was so awsome! We must have been up till 4 am partying, everyone was on the streets, the entire island at the time came out to watch the match out on the field next to the main square on a projector screen and everything. It was amazingly kicka'ss. The celebrations for the quater and semi's were also great, Noone expected Greece to win. Otto rules.

Italy were a huge dissapointment tho.

DVG.

Rooney is overrated
11-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Man i hate Totti even more after euro 2004, and i also think he's a horrible football player and could never be compared to the likes of Henry, V.Nistelrooy, etc.
To bad the Netherlands didn't reach the finals.
Still don't understand the Robben Substitute bij Dick Advocaat though.
That one didn't make any sense at all.
Nicest goal would probably be a goal by Larsson, and Zidane (as usually) had some wicked tricks.
It's nice Greece won but i would have rather seen a final between chzech republic and Portugal, Greece didn't really deserve it i think but you'll have to give their coach some credit for achieving first place.

DonMancini
11-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Italy really dissapointed me this time, as with the world cup. They should get rid of all the Primadonnas like Totti and have a fresh new young team. They also got rid of Trappatoni, which is a good thing.

I don't like how greece won. They have a tight defensive box that's extremely hard to get through, and they only score on lucky getaways. It's effective, as it permits them to win, but it's extremely boring and terrible to watch and uncompetitive. But they did deserve to win, as they beat all those teams.

lilsolsman
11-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Greece played shit.. they didn't deserve to win.. i think it should've been for The Czech Republic..

crazyman
11-04-2004, 01:18 PM
So, did Greece deserve to win? - of course they did, this guy ^^ is a retard
Greece played EXTREMELY well defensivley, just because they weren't offensive, people didn't like that they won. If you actually know your soccer they played a great Euro Cup and they really did deserve to win. I think it was great for soccer that a different team won instead of all the same old teams being there.

If not, what team did? - I think Greece deserved it but other than them i think the Czech's had an amazing tournament, Baros was great

Worst team? - Russia, HUGE lapses defensivley, them and bulgaria were probably the worst defensive teams in the tournament, of course Latvia wasn't great but they were underdogs and i think they did fairly well from what was expected of them

Nicest goal? - i really liked Charistaes's header against France from outside the 18, great goal

Biggest disappointment? - obviously the Italians, I'm Italian and i will tell you that i was truly dissapointed that they did not advance, they didn't even lose any games and still didn't advance. I bleieve that the sweden-denmark game was agreed upon to have the 2-2 draw which is a disgrace to me but at the same time Italy should not have been in that situation in the first place. We'll be back big time in the World Cup no worries.

Best game? - i really liked the Czech Rep. - Holland game, great finish

How much did Italy get owned by Scandinavia? - :rolleyes:

Most fun team to watch? - The Czech's hands down

How much of an arrogant idiot is Totti? - a huge one, he lost me and many others as a fan when he spit on the other player

sweboy
11-04-2004, 03:17 PM
I think that Greece just got a lucky shot. Dont get me wrong, they played great, but I don't think they will stay in the top. They will have nothing to do with the battle for the title in the World Cup. If they even get there that is, and I actually doubt that they will.

... I bleieve that the sweden-denmark game was agreed upon to have the 2-2 draw which is a disgrace to me...

Hehe, here we go again. Of course it looks suspicious when the game actually ends 2-2. But I can tell you, if the game actually was set up, then that beats every specialeffect-packed Hollywood-production made this far. You can't
direct a game like that.

duffroxmysox
11-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Holland should've won

and there is an official euro 2004 thread :thumb:

lilsolsman
11-04-2004, 05:24 PM
I think that Greece just got a lucky shot. Dont get me wrong, they played great, but I don't think they will stay in the top. They will have nothing to do with the battle for the title in the World Cup. If they even get there that is, and I actually doubt that they will.

yes.

So, did Greece deserve to win? - of course they did, this guy ^^ is a retard
Greece played EXTREMELY well defensivley, just because they weren't offensive, people didn't like that they won. If you actually know your soccer they played a great Euro Cup and they really did deserve to win. I think it was great for soccer that a different team won instead of all the same old teams being there.

I know my soccor so shut up. I think they didn't deserve to win because they just didn't play the best throughout the tournement. What they did was score one lucky goal and lock the game, and that's not what the game is about, is it? Sure they won, but they won without glory. What is a win if everybody thinks you should've lost? I bet Greece played like they did because they had a german coach.. i don't know if it's only around here but EVERYBODY hates the way germans play the game.. so did they deserve to win? They played their game well, and won the matches fair; so yes.. do I think they deserved to win? No, i stand by my point that the czeck republic had a better team.. and the way they took all the fun out of the game is not how a winner should be.. And there were more teams that could have brought more (Holland for example)

crazyman
11-04-2004, 07:00 PM
I know my soccor so shut up. I think they didn't deserve to win because they just didn't play the best throughout the tournement. What they did was score one lucky goal and lock the game, and that's not what the game is about, is it? Sure they won, but they won without glory. What is a win if everybody thinks you should've lost? I bet Greece played like they did because they had a german coach.. i don't know if it's only around here but EVERYBODY hates the way germans play the game.. so did they deserve to win? They played their game well, and won the matches fair; so yes.. do I think they deserved to win? No, i stand by my point that the czeck republic had a better team.. and the way they took all the fun out of the game is not how a winner should be.. And there were more teams that could have brought more (Holland for example)

first of all it doesn't matter who has the best team on paper, that means dick all, you should know that

it matters who comes together and plays as a team when push comes to shove and guess what? nobody did that better than the Greeks

so what if they got one lucky goal and sat on it, if they were able to hold on to that one goal all game then they did a great job,
and look at it this way:
if every team that played Greece was unable to score on them, whether Greece had a lucky goal or not, then that team doesn't deserve to win, if teams go 90 minutes unable to score on the Greeks, then as far as i'm concerned, the Greeks defense outplayed the opposing teams offense

soccer isn't only about offense i can't stress that enough, look at teams like Holland, they have a great offense so everyone considers them a great team, i'm sorry but they're defense is horrible, that's why they didn't win, same goes for the Czech's, they have amazing offense, scoring 2 and 3 goals a game on average, but
they also allowed 1 or 2 goals every game, thats not great defense

when it comes down to it, the Greeks found a system that worked and executed it to perfection

and i do agree with Sweboy, they probably won't be anywhere in contention for World Cup, other teams will have figured out they're system by now, but it worked for the time being

p.s. bro i didn't mean to call you a retard, you just didn't sound very educated about soccer the way you said "greece played shit" because anyone who knows there soccer knows that they really didn't

Permanent Solution
11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
I was in Greece during the final!!! It was so awsome! We must have been up till 4 am partying, everyone was on the streets, the entire island at the time came out to watch the match out on the field next to the main square on a projector screen and everything. It was amazingly kicka'ss. The celebrations for the quater and semi's were also great, Noone expected Greece to win. Otto rules.

Italy were a huge dissapointment tho.

DVG.
I was too, and I was in Athens! The team came by on parade a few days later and there was so many people, and it was right outside out hotel and...man, it was crazy, so awesome!

sting-ray
11-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I was disappointed really, that Italia didn't reach even the knockout round... Totti lost my respect definately. Greece was the most consistant and solid team and therefore came out on top.

toolboy84
11-05-2004, 03:33 AM
Even though I don't like England in any way, I think they should have won, up until I saw them play Portugal. Portugal deserved to win that game more than England did, and they should have gone on to win the competition. Greece didn't deserve to win, they didn't play any entertaining football at all.

crazyman
11-05-2004, 09:20 AM
winning is not about being entertaining, its about finding a way to win whether it be entertaining, boring, or whatever

and i don't think it was boring at all, watching their defense play was awesome

and those of you who say they got lucky, come one now, nobody gets lucky 6 or 7 games in a row or how many ever they played (i think it was 6)

Wiggles
11-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Man I was at glasto for the England vs Portugal game that was depressing. Not for me I was on mushies having a great time trying to tell people it's only a game of football and we didn't deserve the tournament the way they played.

Has Ireland ever made it out of the group stages? They seem to qualify for world cups (hopefully!!) but fucck it up later on.

My favourite goal was the 1st one in the opening Greece vs Portugal game. It just completely turned the competition on its head in the 1st 5 minutes great stuff.

crazyman
11-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Man I was at glasto for the England vs Portugal game that was depressing. Not for me I was on mushies having a great time trying to tell people it's only a game of football and we didn't deserve the tournament the way they played.

Has Ireland ever made it out of the group stages? They seem to qualify for world cups (hopefully!!) but fucck it up later on.

My favourite goal was the 1st one in the opening Greece vs Portugal game. It just completely turned the competition on its head in the 1st 5 minutes great stuff.

Ireland wasn't in the Euro

back in '94 they made it out of the group stages of the world cup only to get booted out next round

sweboy
11-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Ah, '94... A great year.

DonMancini
11-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Which game of the tournament did you think was the best?

For me it was the Portugal - England game. It was simply legendary in how it was played, and was AMAZING. It was a roller coaster of emotions, and I screamed out loud when Ricardo scored for Portugal.

sweboy
11-05-2004, 02:42 PM
I think that the Holland - Czech Republic game was the best. It was just amazing.

The Sweden - Bulgaria game wasnt too unfun to watch either... ;)

Ganondorf
11-06-2004, 02:36 PM
The biggest dissapointment was definetlety England vs Portugal, we could've win that.....

sting-ray
11-06-2004, 03:10 PM
France and Greece was a good game too.. it had some nail-biting moments

crazyman
11-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Ah, '94... A great year.

yes it was :)

you guys made the semi's, lost to Brazil, good run though

and we made the finals, lost too :(, but again, good run

very entertaining cup

the last World Cup wasn't too great :\

crazyman
11-06-2004, 11:53 PM
France and Greece was a good game too.. it had some nail-biting moments

also a great game i enjoyed that one as well

it had my favorite goal of the tournament, that header was just amazing and perfectly placed :chug:

Eccles
11-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Ireland wasn't in the Euro

back in '94 they made it out of the group stages of the world cup only to get booted out next roundThat was the year when Ray Houghton scored an awesome goal from the edge of the area.

Ireland 1 - 0 Italy

Nice :cool:

sweboy
11-07-2004, 11:16 AM
As a Swede, I must say that Ibrahimovic's goal against Italy was the nicest. It was just so sexy.

crazyman
11-07-2004, 05:48 PM
That was the year when Ray Houghton scored an awesome goal from the edge of the area.

Ireland 1 - 0 Italy

Nice :cool:

that's why i remember it so well :lol: :(

crazyman
11-07-2004, 05:51 PM
As a Swede, I must say that Ibrahimovic's goal against Italy was the nicest. It was just so sexy.

i thought it was a fluke

BasShorty
11-08-2004, 06:28 AM

det var lätt det finaste målet. :p

Eccles
11-08-2004, 07:38 AM
i thought it was a flukeYou would, you freakin' wop :p

crazyman
11-08-2004, 07:41 AM
You would, you freakin' wop :p

vieri constantly headed the ball over the net that game and then one time you want him to get a dam head on it and Ibrahimovic's ball sailed right over his head

bad news :(

Eccles
11-08-2004, 07:45 AM
It's OK.

Just remember Northern Ireland haven't qualified for a major tournament singe 1970 :)

:upset:!

crazyman
11-08-2004, 07:49 AM
one day my friend........one day :)

sweboy
11-08-2004, 02:59 PM

det var lätt det finaste målet. :p

Ord up min broder! Representera! :thumb: