PDA

View Full Version : best singer...technically

luciferchrist
11-02-2004, 12:20 PM
no, this is not the same as the "who is your favorite singer" thread

I am looking for advice from people here who know alot about singing who can tell me what singers they think have the best technique so I can study their singing...

princeIsLoco
11-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Prince by far, he is extremely diverse.

BassMan182
11-02-2004, 12:43 PM
michal jackson is good. it's always been refreshing to see a black guy sing, rather than rap about guns and bitches.

luciferchrist
11-02-2004, 01:10 PM
michal jackson is good. it's always been refreshing to see a black guy sing, rather than rap about guns and bitches.

you ever heard any of those tapes of him writing songs in the studio from back in the day? it was amazing to hear how quickly he came up with some of his most famous songs....

BassMan182
11-02-2004, 01:28 PM
i haven't, but some of the best melodies come from knowhere!

talk show host
11-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Bjork's voice is technically amazing

Merkaba
11-02-2004, 02:27 PM

So all the rest of the black guys are rapping about guns and bitches? you watch to much mtv. Its also refreshing to hear a white guy talk about rap without saying all it is is talk about guns and bitches so, oh well. :angry:

Im sure you hold similar racial generalizations as you walk the planet and interact with others. :upset:

Merkaba
11-02-2004, 02:31 PM
technically...i dont know. I know alot of good singers but they just do alot of strong stuff...not alot of technical stuff. Freddy Mercury comes to mind though.

princeIsLoco
11-02-2004, 02:35 PM
So all the rest of the black guys are rapping about guns and bitches? you watch to much mtv. Its also refreshing to hear a white guy talk about rap without saying all it is is talk about guns and bitches so, oh well. :angry:

Im sure you hold similar racial generalizations as you walk the planet and interact with others. :upset:

Dont mind that tit bassman, he's one of the most racist posters on mx... last week he was ranting about hating black pride day/parades. He's got issues.

BassMan182
11-02-2004, 02:39 PM
^ think you're confusing me with somebody else mate

there is not a racist fibre in my body, i simply speak as i find

luciferchrist
11-02-2004, 02:58 PM
technically...i dont know. I know alot of good singers but they just do alot of strong stuff...not alot of technical stuff. Freddy Mercury comes to mind though.

FM definetely fits this category...to bad he went and died :upset:

luciferchrist
11-02-2004, 03:03 PM

check out Aesop Rock, Cage, Copywrite, and alot of the other cats from Rawkus, Eastern Conference, Def Jux....

Most of them are white, and none of them really talk about guns and ****.

I work out with alot of rich ignorant country white boys, whose only ideas of rap music were spawned from MTV, and BET (I am white btw), so unfortunetely they walk around with similiar racial generalizations towards almost all cultures different than the single culture they have been exposed to. Its very widespread. It's kind of obnoxious, but what can you do?

MTV portrays black people as gangstas, who can't speak proper english, want to rob people, and sell drugs, and guess why? White suburban kids eat it up...

kind of an interesting paradox actually, despite how ****ed up it is...

Screamin_Demon_Auz
11-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Geoff Tate from Queensryche has great technique and is technically the best singer in rock IMO. Rob Halford from Judas Priest is great, and Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is who Pavoratti thinks has the best technique and voice in rock so thats saying something...

Dredg
11-03-2004, 06:28 AM

You're such a cock sometimes bassman :rolleyes:

BassMan182
11-03-2004, 06:45 AM
?

from what i see in the mainstream, that's all black guys do. like i said, i speak as i find. you don't have to take notice of what i say...

dans107
11-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Freddie Mercury
I'd also say Elton John, when he was younger.

denboy
11-03-2004, 07:06 AM
People with great singing techniques:
Maynard, from tool (his screaming technique is flawless)
Freddie Mercury
Michael åkerfeldt, from opeth (His growling is flawless)
Jeff buckley!! <--!! (His head voice, and his transition from chest, to head, to falsetto was flawless)
^^ !!
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan <-- Where Jeff Buckley got his inspiration from.

dans107
11-03-2004, 07:14 AM
How the hell did I forget Jeff Buckley.

Mardy
11-03-2004, 08:08 AM
You HAVE to check out the song 'chaos path' by Arcturus. The vocals are pretty operaish, but they sound great, on of the best I've heard. He uses different styles, phrasing etc, but at the same time he sounds clean and... yeh
try it. the vocalist is acutally the bassist from Dimmu Borgir, but don't let that scare you away, the song is not like that.

skram
11-03-2004, 12:02 PM
buckley
puts em all to shame

cept maybe cornell and plant :P

Merker
11-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Jim Gillette-Nitro
Freddy Mercury-Queen
The dude from Steelheart
The dude from Firehouse
The dude from Queensryche
Don Dokken-Dokken

Screamin_Demon_Auz
11-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Merker, I like your taste in music. Don Dokken is my all time favorite rock singer, although technically not the best. Matt Matijevic is the vocalist for Steelheart, CJ Snare for Firehouse, and Geoff Tate for Queensryche in case someone wants to look them all up.

TaylorRules
11-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Freddie Mercury
I'd also say Elton John, when he was younger.
I agree, I like Elton John's singing. But Freddy gets my vote. He was trained as an opera singer I believe and would pull of amazing vocal solos on stage along with the instruments making an entirely improvised musical number.

Merker
11-04-2004, 03:44 PM
i wish i could sing like don dokken.

IbanezAxer
11-07-2004, 02:54 AM
Ronnie James Dio, he is probably one of the best singers all around, he could sing metal, and like sinatra type of music, and opera and such

me_is_p
11-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Ella Fitzgerald (Jazz Singer)
Maynard (Tool)
Bruce Dickinson(Maiden)
Brandon Boyd (Incubus)

I'm a voice major, so don't knock me on the last one, I have my reasons...

Jublian
11-07-2004, 04:06 AM
id have to say the singer from Nightwish has a pretty amazing voice.

burton.and.gas
11-07-2004, 04:47 AM
erm maynard james keenan, tarja from nightwish and freddy mercury are the three most majorly good singers that come to mind. others that are not soo godo singers but have good techniques are anthony kiedis.

Ad.f
11-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Maynard James Keenan-List to "Ticks and Leeches" how long he holds his scream is just insane.

Chris Cornell- An amazing range and such a nice voice

Michael åkerfeldt-A ridiciously talented man, can growl very well and sing beautifully.

GavintheGuitarLover
11-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Russell Allen of Symphony X comes to mind...

Riovanne
11-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Either Freddie Mercury or Jack Bruce

Merkaba
11-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Maynard James Keenan-Listen to "Ticks and Leeches" how long he holds his scream is just insane.

I can do that. Am i one of the greatest too?
hehe. Maynard is the man though. Tool changed my life. Dont know if i would put maynard in the top five though.

denboy
11-08-2004, 07:42 AM
hehe. Maynard is the man though. Tool changed my life. Dont know if i would put maynard in the top five though.

Do you have any recordings of you singing a song?.. I've heard the instructional thingies you uploaded, but I'd like to hear you sing a song. hehe

JillyBo
11-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Liam Gallagher. Incredibly diverse

XemoXmoshXpitX
11-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Prince has a wicked vocal range.

Merker
11-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Does Bruce Dickinson use falsetto or does he just have a really well developed head voice?

Mardy
11-08-2004, 05:23 PM
IMO:
mike patton
devin townsend
jeff buckley
Maynard

bleh, someone else, too tired

GoddessofBliss
11-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I kinda like Christina Aguilera's voice....but then again it kinda depends on if you want to study a girl or a guy's voice :confused:

GoddessofBliss
11-08-2004, 06:03 PM
id have to say the singer from Nightwish has a pretty amazing voice.
I've heard on nightwish but i have yet to hear their music... point me in the right direction
:D

Priscilla Hernandez
11-09-2004, 03:38 PM
well my favourite is Liz fraser from Cocteau twins
but technically i feel jealous of the voice of Miriam Stockley for example (the girl from "Adiemus") so powerful and clean

guitarded_chuck
11-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Mike Patton easily, I think.

Kafkastolemyslippers
11-09-2004, 09:16 PM
I've heard on nightwish but i have yet to hear their music... point me in the right direction

Tarja is a great singer. Try to get the songs "stargazer" or "Gethsemane"

SoberTill2
11-09-2004, 10:46 PM
i would say most of the grunge singers like eddie vader, scott weiland, layne staley, chris cornell. i dont realy know alot about singin but can u guys give me some tips on how to get my singing sorta like them.

Merkaba
11-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Do you have any recordings of you singing a song?.. I've heard the instructional thingies you uploaded, but I'd like to hear you sing a song. hehe
I will soon. I've had comp problems. i had been using demo version of audition and now it seems i have some registry or something in my comp that makes every new demo download out of date and thus unworkable. I have audacity now but it sux as far as i'm concerned and i have had some problems with it skipping. I personally dont write alot of screamy vocals....being that i usually compose with my limited acoustic abilities it usually turns out just alternative. I'm getting ready to try to get another band going soon. And i still have to get up the song i did with Shadedlife's music....its not screamy but i do love the song. Stick around and I'll have some stuff up sooner or later.

Merkaba
11-10-2004, 01:09 AM
i would say most of the grunge singers like eddie vader, scott weiland, layne staley, chris cornell. i dont realy know alot about singin but can u guys give me some tips on how to get my singing sorta like them.
If you dont know much about singing i suggest you read around this site. And dont try to over do it too early or try to sound too much like someone else....especially until you get a solid foundation of skill and technique down.

denboy
11-13-2004, 04:10 PM
I will soon. I've had comp problems. i had been using demo version of audition and now it seems i have some registry or something in my comp that makes every new demo download out of date and thus unworkable. I have audacity now but it sux as far as i'm concerned and i have had some problems with it skipping. I personally dont write alot of screamy vocals....being that i usually compose with my limited acoustic abilities it usually turns out just alternative. I'm getting ready to try to get another band going soon. And i still have to get up the song i did with Shadedlife's music....its not screamy but i do love the song. Stick around and I'll have some stuff up sooner or later.

I wasn't looking for a song with your screaming :) hehe.. I asked because you have a great, and very pleasant speaking voice!

Merkaba
11-14-2004, 04:10 AM
I wasn't looking for a song with your screaming :) hehe.. I asked because you have a great, and very pleasant speaking voice!

why....why thank you.
hehe

i might be getting something up soon actually. My audacity program actually has the audacity to act decent lately. I'm just so fukkin self concious with upstairs neighbors that it doesnt want to let me let go. Cause when I'm pretty loud at a normal vocal run. relatively speaking, that is, to normal afternoon apartment sounds.

LoveBuzzed
11-14-2004, 02:38 PM
When it comes to instrumental/group music I would say Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle) and Layne Staley (Alice in Chains, Mad Season) both have strong voices and great ranges. Obviously they can get murdered by professional singers and the likes but Im just sticking with group type singers.

kOffkOff
11-16-2004, 02:02 AM
Jeff Buckley
Thom Yorke

Kiedis101
11-16-2004, 04:08 AM
[B]Anthony Kiedis from the red hot chili peppers!! He has such a distinctive voice and it is very beautiful!!!!

exit
11-17-2004, 01:18 PM
i dont know much about technique but these are the one i find very special:

The clean voice guy of tristania (very low, still very beautifull)
tarja of course (how long is she already studying for her voice?? 10+ years?)
Bjork
singer of the cranberries, can shift from head voice to "normal" voice without a flaw. Well maybe this aint hard but i cant do it... Allthough i suck at singing but remember the song Zombie from them??

i have to comment on the post of bruce(maiden) and rob(judas priest) saw em live last year and their voices have been severly degraded though. They cant keep it up live anymore BY FAR
I would call Rob Halfords attempt painfull to hear sometimes. I really hope he had a bad day then

evil ernie
11-17-2004, 03:45 PM
[B]Anthony Kiedis from the red hot chili peppers!! He has such a distinctive voice and it is very beautiful!!!!

He is absolutly not technical.

Russel Allen has a great voice and insane control. Pretty much every singer who has worked with Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Ambeon, Star One) is awesome.

I also really like David Readman from Adagio.

conspiracy_rocker3
11-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Danny Elfman anyone?

Johan Landgren
11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Freddie Mercury, sure, as well as Lila Downs.

I don't know if Björk really knows what she's doing, but I really like the way she sings. Don't know if I'd call her a great technical singer though.

Also: check out Daniel Gildenlöw of Pain of salvation. Wide range, flexible voice...

burton.and.gas
11-18-2004, 12:43 PM
He is absolutly not technical.

Russel Allen has a great voice and insane control. Pretty much every singer who has worked with Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Ambeon, Star One) is awesome.

I also really like David Readman from Adagio.

i na way i think keidis has a godo tehcnique its just not really singing but it does in my opinion require some vocal skill.

evil ernie
11-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Keidis has improved over the years, but about 5-10 years ago he was awful live. He's more of a frontman than a singer in my opinion.

Rats
11-18-2004, 01:25 PM
singer of the cranberries, can shift from head voice to "normal" voice without a flaw. Well maybe this aint hard but i cant do it... Allthough i suck at singing but remember the song Zombie from them??

Hmmm their singer works well wit the music but she can't really sing THAT well... I can sing that song and I'm a guy.. with a deep voice.

Ad.f
11-19-2004, 09:26 AM
How could i forget Liz Fraser! What a fool! Her work is astounding.

I also forgot Cornell who is utterly marvellous.

hehe. Maynard is the man though. Tool changed my life. Dont know if i would put maynard in the top five though. Show off :P I imagine technically theres people who can hit Maynards notes etc. However the tone and sound of his voice is just so beautiful, combined with his technical ability and his lyrics. Hes pretty much the full package for me.

Serj Tankian is another favourite of mine.

Mardy
11-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Øyvind Hægelund (Spiral Architect, so he HAS to be technical)

Dustin_James
11-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Brandon Boyd! (Incubus)

:smash:

Brandon Boyd!

Best singer I've ever seen and heard.

i am the robots
11-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Mikael Akerfeldt - he has an amazing way of clean singing, and then he has the perfect growl

Jonathan Davis - he is an underrated singer, maybe he whines too much, but he has a very good growl, a very good scream, and he can sing low and high, plus he does that weird grunt thing that he's known for, where he makes his voice deeper and hoarse.

i am the robots
11-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Almost forgot Chester Bennington, he sings the same way as Jon Davis, it's just that his voice is a higher pitch when he does the hoarse voice.

Merkaba
11-21-2004, 12:51 AM
How could i forget Liz Fraser! What a fool! Her work is astounding.

I also forgot Cornell who is utterly marvellous.

Show off :P I imagine technically theres people who can hit Maynards notes etc. However the tone and sound of his voice is just so beautiful, combined with his technical ability and his lyrics. Hes pretty much the full package for me.

Serj Tankian is another favourite of mine.

:cool: :smoke: :lol: :thumb: :D