PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from you guys

SonorKen
11-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I initially posted this in the guitar thread but I think it may actually get a better response in here as there are more general band members in here. Thanks in advance for all your help! SFK.

Hey all. My guitar player is losing his hearing and has decided to leave the band. We will be holding auditions in the next coming month for his replacement. We have ALOT to offer a guitarist so we will probably have quite a few people applying.

My question is this. Have any of you ever been to an audition before? If so what all did it entail? What kind of questions did they ask? What did they have you play?

On another note, if you were auditioning guitarists what would you look for. I know pretty much what I want but want to make sure I am not forgetting or overlooking something. Thanks for all your help guys and gals....SFK.

kurtcobain01296
11-02-2004, 03:00 PM
I've not been to an audition before, but have seen them being done. What i would do:

1. Ask him/her about him/herself
2. Get to know him/her to make sure that s/he gets allong with all the band members
3. Play a song and get him/her to jam over it
4. Make sure that s/he is the same standard as the other band members
5. Ask them to play his/her favourite song
6. Ask him/her to learn a song to see if they can play the same sort of stuff that your old guitarist could
7. Try and come up with a song there and then to see how well you can convey your ideas to him/her
8.make sure that all the other band members are there
9.if possible record for futher analysis
10.make them relaxed in their environment, so that they can perform to the best of their ability
11.if they make some mistakes then it's fine because they will be nervous
12.try not to make it like pop idol or anything, don't sit behind a desk and don't give negative comments afterwards because that will only make their playing even worse

SonorKen
11-03-2004, 01:16 AM
Excellent ideas, we are holding our first set of auditions tomm! Im excited!!