PDA

View Full Version : have you ever recovered from a vocal injury? (please share)

Levitate
10-31-2004, 04:35 PM
Have you ever lost your vocal abilities for a period of time due to sickness or injury from vocal misuse? How long did it take you to recover? What do you think sped up your recovery?

thanks mucho! :wave:

Shady Ultima
10-31-2004, 06:14 PM
I suffered a sever vocal injury which destroyed my whole range. I at one point could sing anything from AC/DC to Slayer, including Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc.

My band decided to do Frantic by Metallica, and when I was singing it, a lot deeper than I am used to, I completely lost my voice, so I could no longer sing properly anymore. That was last November, I finally got my range back around June. When I lost my range I sounded very blatant, like Slayer, and now I have my range back for my new band.

Levitate
11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
I suffered a sever vocal injury which destroyed my whole range. I at one point could sing anything from AC/DC to Slayer, including Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc.

My band decided to do Frantic by Metallica, and when I was singing it, a lot deeper than I am used to, I completely lost my voice, so I could no longer sing properly anymore. That was last November, I finally got my range back around June. When I lost my range I sounded very blatant, like Slayer, and now I have my range back for my new band.

wow, that is some heavy stuff. I am glad you got your sound back after all that time. Great to hear you got it back just in time for your new band.

I have a similar experience, and hope to get back to singing again.

What is a good thing to do to speed up the healing process?

Rats
11-01-2004, 10:30 PM
If you fuck up your voice just dont sing for a while! Just do some scales and warmups every day. I fucked up my voice like 5 times in the past year and the longest it took me to recover was a week or so, but usually after a couple days I was back to normal. But now I know my boundaries and I use good technique so it doesn't happen anymore.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
11-02-2004, 12:22 AM
i wrecked my voice a couple of months ago an i had completly lost all my falsetto range an the higher notes i sung where hard to get out an they were strained an it took about a month an a bit to get better

Merkaba
11-02-2004, 05:04 AM
i was gonna say, Rats, you should look into taking lessons. BUt if you feel like youre getting better technique than good. Its good that it doesnt happen anymore.

I've never lost my voice a day in my life. Even when im sick. i have been extremely hoarse a few times, but thats it. I guess I've been blessed. I was finding it awkward that a friend of mine lost his voice a few months ago from working in the yard and stuff. I was like, dam....I couldnt imagine. The shlt I've been doing lately is kinda like bootcamp for my cords. I've been working the upper rane alot. I think i have a few more notes i'll be able to reach soon. But its hard and careful work right now. Be careful, it can be a vocal jungle out there. hehe.

Oh levitate, go to the voicehelp hotline stickie. I have some stuff in there.

Rats
11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Well i never completely lost my voice. I just lost a couple notes in my lower register each time.

Levitate
11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Oh levitate, go to the voicehelp hotline stickie. I have some stuff in there.

hehe, thanks - I read all of it - I liked the part about eees as that is when the vocal chords completely close in the process of creating that vowel. That is cool that your job lets you goof off and practice singing, and you do the singing in the car bit.

I guess I just need to sing eees more, it is tough not singing at all, and I end up singing anyway :p

Winter-seed, glad you got your voice back after that month. Thanks bros for letting me know about what kind of troubles yall have had with singing. :)

Merkaba
11-04-2004, 01:24 AM
So whats up with your voice?

Levitate
11-04-2004, 11:55 PM
So whats up with your voice?

heheh, thanks for asking.

I think it might be a good thing to describe it here.

I have not been able to use it for 7-8 months. I was doing alot of singing of a similar style to Godsmack and Tool. Then I got the flu. Then a sore throat never went away. I saw the Ear Nose Throat guy, and my general practitioner a couple times. They all said I was fine, so I did a little research on acid reflux. I did a couple things like staying away from acidic foods, tilting my bed, sleeping on my left side, seemed to help. I took some acid reflux medication. Seemed to help a little more.

Recently, my voice has been feeling better. I just got a monitor for my PA and an acoustic, so I just had a little jam session today. I am not into singing aggressive at all any more for now (think radiohead or even something like hippie music coffee shop stuff). But I still wake up with a little sore throat that goes away. So I kinda think back to 4 months ago when I had a sore throat the whole day. I think about not wanting to revert back to that condition ever again.

Since I am so addicted to singing and guitar, I figure it is getting about time to get a singing teacher that has worked with people recovering from vocal problems. Since I play and sing anyway...

I think writing out this stuff is helping crystalize things here, I appreciate all the feedback here on threads here. Thanks mucho :wave: