PDA

View Full Version : Maximum warming period... Optimum warming period..

rmusicianforums
10-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi there
how are you all?
it's so good to see a forum like this..

i just wandered if there's a time limit to warming up?
is it really the more the more or at some time the vocal chords will get tired instead of "more warmed up" ?
in which case, what's the best warmup period of time?

wish you well

Eitri Is Berserk
10-30-2004, 10:59 AM
10-20 minutes is good, but go to 'voice help hotline' at the top of the page for an experts opinion. Welcome to the forums.

Merkaba
10-30-2004, 01:23 PM
depends on the style and the length of what your "performance level" stuff will be.
A long gig or long practice, warm up less.
a short gig or practice warm up longer.
this is a general thing and over time you know your own settings for the specific type of singing you do.

The cords arent like the usual muscles structure. I mean if you warm up too long youre gonna run into a little fatigue, especially when people dont know that you just dont need to push that much to sing. most people over push in rock music til they learn otherwise by the hard way or by an easier way hopefully. I like to get a good long warm up in to be sure. Ideally for me and what i like to do, i like at least 40 minutes of warm up, to an hour, depending on what shap im in. THen i like to have about a 20 minute lull before kicking any proverbial ***. This way you give the cords a chance to rest, which cuts out on what you were getting at about fatigue. over time you know yourself enough to know when youre getting right and when to cut back and what not. Its not too much rocket science and not much to overthink. Just warmup. go up and down your range without going into falsetto, and with minimum push and volume. ay,ah,ee,I,oh,UU make melodies and scales with the vowels and substitute vowels for lyrics in songs. singing a verse with just ay's..then the next one with ee. etc.

I start warming up the minute im out of bed. just making vowels and doing little sounds and melodies and things to get it started as im scratching and shuffling about the house. Theres lots of technical exercises you can do but for the most part i just sing at a nomral push and improvise alot of other trills, melodies and sounds as im singing some of my favorite, less aggresive songs. stay in head at really low push for a while as you work up, then warm up the falsetto last ...thats my advice. And dont overpush too early.

Merkaba
10-30-2004, 01:24 PM
10-20 minutes is good, but go to 'voice help hotline' at the top of the page for an experts opinion. Welcome to the forums.

Are you saying I'm an expert?

if so thanks. hehe :thumb: :chug:

rmusicianforums
10-31-2004, 12:36 AM
i just wondered
if you warmup just after awaking, do u have to warmdown just after warming up?
i mean, am really confused with the whole notion of warming down...
why do we have to warmdown
and if am already talking throughtout the day, but small intervals every now and then, what's the optimum for me?

thanks in advance

Merkaba
10-31-2004, 02:15 AM
nah, you dont warm down after you warm up.
And singing is different thank talking. its way more stress and heat.
warming down is a good habit to get into after any extended singing but its extremely important after doing hard singing and screaming. Warming down helps return your cords to there normal shape and thickness and alignment, which all keeps them from swelling as much. Now this is something that most younger rock singers dont do. But its common among teachers and those in the know. I just try to give all the tips i can for longevity. with rock vocals and stuff the cords start to bow up from all the extended pressure. this makes for uneven seals and more stress and force needed which only makes it worse. the same for mucus. Anytime the cords arent normal they seek mucus to protect them. I've been over the mucus circle. I talk alot all day and i sing all day at work. It helps but i still dont just jump on it as soon as i get in the car...I still do lesser push songs for a minute or two. So its gonna be up to you. You'll figure out with time and trial and error what is best for you. You seem a little overly concerned about the warm up thing, but thats better than not being concerned at all. Are you in a band? or do you just sing or what? Whats your typical day like?

rmusicianforums
10-31-2004, 03:07 AM
first of all i must thank for your fast real useful replies.
secondly,
am starting a band, i am the vocalist and i write poetry.
the aim of the band is to be an international band

am a network engineer too..
u know i love the humming sound so sometimes i find myself humming for prolonged times while am infront of the screen forgetting myself

i don't think this is right?
i think am much of a perfectionist, so am concerned with every bit that has to do with singing, i've already had a non science approach to singing and screaming that led to some undesirable effect that i think am fastly recovering from now.

that's why am asking about e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g

sorry for the disturbance
thanks in advance

Merkaba
10-31-2004, 03:48 AM
ahhhhh.

well then now......that explains it.

what are you saying, are you asking if humming is a good warm up or what??

if so, no. hehe. But a hard hum can help you learn how to come from the gut more, and makes it easier to get a gut push while learning to keep the larynx low and relax. though you can tense it up when humming as well if youre not careful. i just made a post you should check out perhaps in the screaming help thread...i think it was.
see ya

kriswrite
10-31-2004, 06:47 PM
It totally depends upon your voice. If you sing every day or every other day, you probably won't need but 5 to 10 minutes of warmup. Some singers who sing regularly need less. Since you really should be singing this often, I won't go into how long you should warm up if you don't sing this frequently :)

Kristina
www.geocities.com/kristinasvocalstudio

Merkaba
11-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Yea it does depend on your voice. I sing alot of very aggressive stuff so i know I need to sneak up on that over the course of a lot of time if i'm to feel my best. And yea, if you dont, you need to be singing every day, alot everyday if you ask me. alot of times during the week i dont sing as much as i would like, but i think my voice is gaining from the rest because of the styles i do.

Like i say, you'll find out how much you need.

rmusicianforums
11-01-2004, 01:59 AM
just for curiosity people
do those singing brutal like gothic metal bands or agressive like cradle of filth
are born with these voices or this is some sort of training?!
i wonder what they are doing and how they are doing it
thanks in advance

rmusicianforums
11-01-2004, 07:33 AM
?

?

Merkaba
11-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Well it takes strength, which can be built up. And technique which can be learned. some people do it all naturally and have the strength naturally. Some have built it up just by not giving a dam and singing how they want over time. I can do just about anything nowadays, but i couldnt a few years ago. But i've worked my *** off. I think anyone can get to a pretty decent level. Range is something more limiting, but anyone can eventually learn to rasp a high falsetto or a low growl. Keep working and being careful and excersizing.

moaner
11-01-2004, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't say the guy from cradle of filth has any strength at all. He sounds like he's singing whilst breathing in.

Now lemmy? His voice could pick up a guitar. Although I guess that came from excessive smoking and whiskey.

rmusicianforums
11-01-2004, 09:41 PM
thanks men alot
Merkaba
can you mention some of these exercises?
thanks in advance

Merkaba
11-02-2004, 05:15 AM
I wouldn't say the guy from cradle of filth has any strength at all. He sounds like he's singing whilst breathing in.

Now lemmy? His voice could pick up a guitar. Although I guess that came from excessive smoking and whiskey.

From what i understand COF does do inhale screaming.

Who is lemmy?

Merkaba
11-02-2004, 05:17 AM
thanks men alot
Merkaba
can you mention some of these exercises?
thanks in advance

Dont forget Kriswrite ....she's female. hehe.

you mean exercises for warming up? or what?
alot of stuff is in my voicehelp hotline

rmusicianforums
11-04-2004, 05:07 PM
to develop the brutal voice
that is the growling sound you sing through..
thanks alot