PDA

View Full Version : Nedd info on home recording

MetalCricketMode
10-28-2004, 08:26 PM
I'd like to record some ****e just for fun, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money. Whats a relatively cheap way to do this? I want to use my computer for most of the stuff to minimize the stuff I have to buy. I plan on getting a new sound card, but other than that what do I need to get and what do I need to do?

Crowley5150
10-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Personally, I would do the following......

Stick with your basic soundcard (hell... I use the crap on-board one on my PC... does the job).

*ahem* Purchase a program called Adobe Audition (formerly known as Cool Edit Pro) and install it

Hook a semi-decent microphone up to the mic slot on your PC

Play with the settings in Adobe Audition so you can record.

Then learn the Multi Track feature in Audition. It allows you to record 1 track at a time, then mix them all together when you are finished.

Check out some other programs for drum programming if you want to add drum tracks but dont have a kit. Save the output from that program into a WAV and import it into Audition as another multitrack track.

Thats what i'd do for starters.

MetalCricketMode
10-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Dont you need a preamp if your going to use a mic? I thought mic inputs are pretty big, or is it the normal 1/8 inch one?

Is there any way to connect the guitar, or amp, to the computer directly?

Crowley5150
10-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Dont you need a preamp if your going to use a mic? I thought mic inputs are pretty big, or is it the normal 1/8 inch one?

Is there any way to connect the guitar, or amp, to the computer directly?

it depends, most sound cards have a Mic input on it... that input is already pre-amped. Otherwise you will have to pre-amp it somehow and output a stereo signal (as the standard line-in on a soundcard is in stereo in)

I own a cheap Yamaha (wasnt cheap at the time tho :)) 4 track that I use, hook my mics up to that, and use the stereo out RCA jacks into the soundcard.

Personally, i've never liked hooking amps straight up to a pc, even if the amp has a headphone jack out.... amps sound best when the audio comes out of the actual speaker material then grabbed through a mic.

But for rough recordings, its no problems doing it, so long as your amp has a headphone or line out jack in it.

MetalCricketMode
10-29-2004, 12:44 AM
The mic input being the 1/8 inch jack on the back of my computer? I thoughts those were only for computer mics? So just hook up a mic to that and mic my amp?

Crowley5150
10-29-2004, 12:48 AM
The mic input being the 1/8 inch jack on the back of my computer? I thoughts those were only for computer mics? So just hook up a mic to that and mic my amp?

A mics a mic (other than a powered mic). Before I got my 4 track, I used to have a 1/4" jack on the end of my mic cable, and bought a 1/4" to 1/8" converter plug to plug it in.

Just set your levels in windows so its not distortingly high when you record (Adobe Audition has a good and accurate meter showing the level of the recording.)

ibanez_k5
10-29-2004, 05:13 AM
what ya can do is buy a 1/4" to 1/8" jack and plug that into your mic socket to your bass, and then as to not wreck your speakers, plug a 1/8" to 1/4" jack and plug that into your line out and hook it up to your amp. I'm not very good at explaining things but its easy :thumb:

PrinceRocksMeBollox
10-29-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm also clueless as to home recording, and want to get more ****e recorded. Is there a way you can listen to the drum track while playing guitar with audition? And where do most of ye blokes get yer drum tracks?

JGuy4
10-30-2004, 01:45 AM
I know the best way to record at home. I tried this and my music sounded really pro. The program i used was goldwave (BEST home recording program on the net!!!!!)

guitar -----> effects pedal (rp200) --(stereo 1/8" cable)--> computer input.

****don't use your amp, it will fuzz up your sound!

I'm telling you, it worked like a charm for me. You can get a trial version of goldwave here: http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

farge_monkey
10-30-2004, 07:46 AM
if you are lookin for an easy way to record i went out and got a digitech rpx 400 it comes wit protracks and it is relatively easy to use

MetalCricketMode
10-30-2004, 05:58 PM
I got GoldWave, can it record multiple tracks?