PDA

View Full Version : Recording questions

Kristian
10-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey guys.

Our band wants to record with better quality than on my mp3-player. (We have only been playing for a year and a half so it's nothing that serious)
I've read the Home Recording Guide, and other guides on the net, but there is some things that I'm still wondering about.

We were thinking about getting a mixer and a sound card in the first place. (we have a computer) And we are going to mic the drums, but not the amps. Maybe later on.

1.) When we put the amps into the mixer, does the amps get silence then? Or do they still make sound, and records at the same time? What do we do if they are silenced? (I mean headphones and such) Any ideas?

2.) Will the overhead mics from the drums pick up the guitar sound if they're not silence? (We're playing in a small room)

3.) Is it much better to mic the amps too?

4.) Can someone give the whole tour with cables and such? After what I believe it's:

mics and amps > mixer > sound card/computer. That's it?

5.) Do we need monitors?

Also, can I be able to mix the track (adjust sound levels, panning and stuff like that) after we're finished recording?

Thanks. It would be great if someone how knows these things could take a few minutes and post back. :)

onthenooseagain15
10-28-2004, 04:39 PM
1. Well that depends, are you micing the Guitar amps or putting them directly into the mixer (I don't recommend it unless you mic's are of extremely crap quality...)

2. Yes. But if you do each instrument on a different take it will save you the hassle.

3. See #1

4. Yeah for the most part...

5. Well, If you really want to mix it properly and get a neutral sound, yes. But a good pair of headphones could do for now...

RushHourSoul
10-28-2004, 05:57 PM
1) If you put the amps into the mixer from a line out port or something like that, it shouldn't silence it. But all amps are different so they might not have an output. Its probably easier to mic them.

2) Yes

3) Yes, micing the amps is probably easier. You can also do DI (direct injection i think) where you plug them straight into the mixer, no amplifying used. However this will make the guitar silent (obviously as theres no amp or speaker heh)

4) mics -> mixer -> computer sound card

5) Good monitors will give a much purer sound when your mixing. But since your not too serious I wouldn't bother, just use some normal speakers. (I learnt in music tech that you shouldn't use headphones, although I can't remember the reason for it)

And to your other question) Yes, if you record it onto a good editing program. I suggest Cakewalk, Cubase, Adobe Audition. There are a few good free ones around I think too.

I recommend multitrack recording. As you probably know this is where you record every instrument seperatly and layer them on top. This might take a bit longer but will give better results IMO. And as you're a drummer (D&P :)) you could also play to a click track so its perfectly in time. You can also rerecord parts and basically get it sounding perfect before moving on to the next instrument. If you do it like that make sure its
drums -> bass -> rhthym guitar -> lead guitar -> vocals etc etc. Basically the rhthym section first and then the main instruments, as you can probly figure.

Also remember that the quality of the mics will represent the quality of the end piece. :thumb:

onthenooseagain15
10-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Close, It's Direct Input...

Kristian
10-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the answers. :thumb:

3) Yes, micing the amps is probably easier. You can also do DI (direct injection i think) where you plug them straight into the mixer, no amplifying used. However this will make the guitar silent (obviously as theres no amp or speaker heh)

And to your other question) Yes, if you record it onto a good editing program. I suggest Cakewalk, Cubase, Adobe Audition. There are a few good free ones around I think too.

I recommend multitrack recording. As you probably know this is where you record every instrument seperatly and layer them on top. This might take a bit longer but will give better results IMO. And as you're a drummer (D&P :)) you could also play to a click track so its perfectly in time. You can also record parts and basically get it sounding perfect before moving on to the next instrument. If you do it like that make sure its
drums -> bass -> rhthym guitar -> lead guitar -> vocals etc etc. Basically the rhthym section first and then the main instruments, as you can probly figure.

About the DI box. If we use those boxes, we don't need the amps? And they don't have the amp effects?

So you recommend multitrack recording. What mixer is good for that?

At first I was thinking about a 12-16 channels mixer. (To record all at once) But if we multitrack record, don't we just need a mixer with artleast 4 channels?

Just come with a mixer suggestion if you can.

(We were thinking of using 4 mics for the drums. 2 overheads, 1 snare and 1 bass. Maybe mike the 3 amps since most people like the sound much better. So it's 7 mics altogether)

Thanks for the great reply by the way. I really got some things cleared up. :thumb:

onthenooseagain15
10-29-2004, 05:09 PM
How much money are you willing to spend?

And know, plug into your amp, and if theres a line out, plug the line out into the mixer...

RushHourSoul
10-29-2004, 07:33 PM
About the DI box. If we use those boxes, we don't need the amps? And they don't have the amp effects?

I don't think so, but you could put effects on through the computer. Or try an fx pedal or something.

So you recommend multitrack recording. What mixer is good for that?

At first I was thinking about a 12-16 channels mixer. (To record all at once) But if we multitrack record, don't we just need a mixer with artleast 4 channels?

Just come with a mixer suggestion if you can.

Hmm I don't know too much about mixers, but if you're multitrack recording you could get a multitrack recorder, which is like a mixer except it has a built in hard drive which you can save your work on and also you can usually edit the tracks and put effects on them throught the mixer.
I also don't know much about them either :upset: but the one my college uses is a Fostex VF160EX (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/240269/). Thats pretty good, built in CD burner too. Search around on a shop online for some cheap ones, most of the cheap ones however can only record 2 tracks simultaneously, which would be a problem with the drums.

If your defo gonna record it onto the pc then a normal mixer should be ok, as long as you can control the volume of each channel and connect it to a pc then I think any mixer would be fine.

(We were thinking of using 4 mics for the drums. 2 overheads, 1 snare and 1 bass. Maybe mike the 3 amps since most people like the sound much better. So it's 7 mics altogether)

Yeh, that should be good. What mics are you planning on using? Don't use any cheapy mics because it will just make whatever its recording sound like crap. I reccomend using condenser mics for the overheads; condensers can pick up more frequencies and have a higher output level than dynamic mics, if I remember correctly. They are very delicate, one drop could break them, and also they dont get their power from the mixer, so you might have to put a couple o batteries in them.

Glad I helped out, i'll be happy to answer anymore questions :)

Kristian
10-30-2004, 02:57 PM
I really appreciate your help. :)

First off, I think the guitarist will mike their amps. Both of them have just bought themselves two big amps, so I think they want to have that kind of sound in the recording if you know what I mean... ;)

For the second one. We already have a computer with everything, so I don't think we're getting one of those multitrack recorders with a CD burner. I've looked at the prices around here, and they are really expensive. I think it will be cheaper for us if we just use the computer.

But one thing, how many channels do we need on our mixer? Since we're are going to use multitrack recording, isn't 4 or 5 enough? Or is it best to get a 10-16 channels mixer so we can record all at once if we want?

I was thinking of getting Samson mics. I don't know if you've heared of them, but I've looked at some reviews and they look ok to me. I'm getting 2 Samson C02 Overhead mics, and 1 Samson Snare mic, and 1 Samson bass mic. I'm still going to school, and I can't get a job before next year, because I'm to young actually. (Turning 16 in February) So my budget is limited. It's a bit sad that the guitarists gets away with it pretty cheap. :P

RushHourSoul
10-30-2004, 04:06 PM
I really appreciate your help. :)

First off, I think the guitarist will mike their amps. Both of them have just bought themselves two big amps, so I think they want to have that kind of sound in the recording if you know what I mean... ;)

No probs man, yeh the guitarists probably wanna use their gear :lol: Micing should sound good.

But one thing, how many channels do we need on our mixer? Since we're are going to use multitrack recording, isn't 4 or 5 enough? Or is it best to get a 10-16 channels mixer so we can record all at once if we want?

Yeh, kinda depends if you're gonna do a live recording or multitrack. The most you will need with multitrack is like you said 4 or 5, and for a live recording probably about 10-16 like you also said...

I was thinking of getting Samson mics. I don't know if you've heared of them, but I've looked at some reviews and they look ok to me. I'm getting 2 Samson C02 Overhead mics, and 1 Samson Snare mic, and 1 Samson bass mic. I'm still going to school, and I can't get a job before next year, because I'm to young actually. (Turning 16 in February) So my budget is limited. It's a bit sad that the guitarists gets away with it pretty cheap. :P

Heh, unemployment, its even worse when your old enough to get a job, and you don't have one. :upset: I've not heard much about those mics, but if they have good reviews that should be ok..

Also the types of mic you are getting are good. you'll want the bass and snare fairly high in the mix compared to the cymbals, esp if they're bright and cutting. Oh yeh try and play to a metronome or click track when your record so the tempo stays perfect, and apart from that have fun recording!

Make sure you post a few tracks in the multimedia thread so I can check 'em out

Good luck :thumb: