PDA

View Full Version : should i get singgin lessons?

IrockedOut
10-27-2004, 07:23 PM
to be honest i think im awful but I dont wanna get a lead singer cuz they take the credit for all the songs an the group so yeah i play punk an grunge an my friends say only emo bands need there singers to have singing lessons but i wanted to know from people that know, should i get lessons an would they not have me sounding pusssy but sounded kick *** an awesome over time anyway ?

kandinsky73
10-27-2004, 07:25 PM
i think that it would help with your range...and if your playing punk and grunge then singing lessons will help so..yeah

randombuilding4
10-27-2004, 07:48 PM
you probably need english lessons as well...

RushHourSoul
10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
you probably need english lessons as well...

true.

If you're only worried about looking "kick ***" and "awesome" then i wouldn't bother getting lessons. Vocals are an instrument remember, and probably one of the hardest to be good at. A quick fix would be to get a lead singer who already takes lessons. Who cares if he takes all the "credit", you sound like you want all the credit too.

And your friends are idiots! only emo bands need their singers to have singing lessons? no, only good bands have singers that take singing lessons

KissMeIamSh*tFaced
10-27-2004, 08:47 PM
ok here's an idea... quit your band... wait till you are old enough to have a band.

AnGrY,yOuNg,AnD_pOoR
10-27-2004, 09:00 PM
i almost have the same problem i dont want another singer but hey what u gonna do if u have to get one get one or just ****en sing urself im not to good myself at singing but i try eventually u'll get better.

KissMeIamSh*tFaced
10-27-2004, 09:27 PM
ok i am already sorry.... that was mean. um yea dont worry about what people think man. You should be out there to write good entertaining music... not to look cool

FunknPunk
10-27-2004, 09:45 PM
jesus you guys, stick it to him, why don't you?

IRockedOut: You really have three options:
1) Don't take voice lessons, and sound like every other punk/grunge band out there. Get credit for the songs.
2) Take lessons, and sound good, plus you get credit for the songs.
3) Find a singer who has (hopefully :)) been taking lessons for longer than you, and who would sound good. Don't get credit for your songs.

It's up to you, really. I'd get a new singer; like Licketysplit said, the voice is an instrument, not just a tool to spout out words with.

Good luck, mate! :)

italic zero
10-27-2004, 10:30 PM
The short answer: yes.

The long answer: probably.

Merkaba
10-28-2004, 01:13 AM
You need to sit down and think about if you really want to have a lot of singing potential in the future. If you think you might, then take lessons so you dont chip away and your vocal cords' integrity. If you dont care about singing in the future, then do whatever you like. Yea, so what if the singer takes all the credit? It can be hard for a singer to sing other peoples works. so be sure if you do get a singer that they know they will have to share songwriting, if youre really that concerned about songwriting credit.

Dredg
10-28-2004, 08:45 AM
It's the singers prerogative to 'take all the credit', or at least believe in his own mind that all the credit lies with him. That's ok, if the singer is also the songwriter, but in many cases - that just isn't the truth. The singer in the band I play with does pretty much bugger all. I write the songs (and his lyrics) and all he has to do is turn up to practice and copy what I show him. Someone like that is never going to get 'all the credit'.

Anyway, i'm sure you'd rather be a songwriter cuz 'credit' is the last thing you'll be moaning about when those loyalty cheques come in :thumb:

Merkaba
10-28-2004, 11:51 AM
^ I think he means Royalty checks

sliver
10-28-2004, 12:00 PM
The reason they get credit is because writing a good catchy vocal melody is about 100 times harder than writing a guitar progression (for the most part). People don't remember how the guitar sounded, they remember the singing... unless its a prog rock or metal band. Take lessons, unless your music is so godly that people can listen to it and fade out the out of key singing.

Also I've never met a good singer who has no knowledge of a musical instrument anyway, a good singer should be a songwriter as well. They need to bring structure, form and shape the way the song is going to sound. It's a lot of work... unless they are just the puppet of the lead guitar player.

metal martian
10-29-2004, 02:57 AM
this sounds awfuly familiar, that is exactly what i was like....can't sing well but don't want a singer to take all the credit......well were getting a singer.

I know what you mean though, I was looking at singing lessons, but instead Im going to focus now more on my guitar playing and leave singing to someone else who can do it.

Just make sure that if you do get a singer, don't let them play guitar as well....then, your screwed.

a singer though will naturally take credit because they are who a lot of people ascociate with. But look at the RHCP, they all seem to get equal attention, which is what I'm aiming for.

Don't let this whole ordeal though put you off, try singing at a few gigs and if you don't get good vocal comments (like we did), then get a singer.

thats my 2 cents worth, good luck which ever way you go

kriswrite
10-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Yes, if you want to sing much, you should take lessons.

The reason is that if you're trained, not only with you have more command over your voice (you'll be able to hit higher and lower notes, sing for long periods of time, and make your voice sound the way you want it to sound), but you'll save yourself from a host of vocal ailments (includling the possibility of nodes and chronic hoarseness) that tend to occur when you aren't trained, and try to sing a lot.

Don't just go to any teacher, though. Make sure the teachers you talk to know what kind of music you're interested in, and that you don't want to sound "*****." I have some tips for finding a good teacher on my website: http://www.geocities.com/kristinasvocalstudio/OutOfArea2.html

Hope this helps,
Kristina

Dredg
10-31-2004, 09:59 AM
^ I think he means Royalty checks

Ahh yeah - quite right...I seem to be doing that a lot these days :confused:

IrockedOut
11-02-2004, 01:51 PM
okay, i think i'll try to see if singing is my bag an after a couple gigs an if i i get negative feedback about my singing me an the others guys will start looking for a singer, although i wouldnt wannna it'd proabably be a swell idea, thanks for the advice fellas

KKKKKocaine
11-02-2004, 03:44 PM
okay, i think i'll try to see if singing is my bag an after a couple gigs an if i i get negative feedback about my singing me an the others guys will start looking for a singer, although i wouldnt wannna it'd proabably be a swell idea, thanks for the advice fellas

Even if you are a great singer, or just ok, you may as well take lessons, Where is the harm in it?

As for singers taking the credit, well all successful bands split royalties equally, and like it or not, coming from a drummer and a vocalist, singing in front of people is alot scarier than laying down the groove.
The same way operating on a mans brain is more pressuring than working in the powerplant that powers the doctors tools, it doesnt make the plant worker any less important though.

Iai
11-02-2004, 04:18 PM
As for singers taking the credit, well all successful bands split royalties equally,

Not all. Most, but some are different.

and like it or not, coming from a drummer and a vocalist, singing in front of people is alot scarier than laying down the groove.

Coming from a guitarist and singer, I find singing the song's main melody to be more challenging than tackling a big solo. Then again, I'm a much better guitarist than singer.