PDA

View Full Version : Breathing...

Relmar
10-25-2004, 11:11 PM
I don't understand this breathing technique. I allow my stomach to expand, but only if its forced. Also, how do I apply this to my singing?

Relmar
10-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Oh yes, I also play several wood-wind instruments, and constatly run out of breath so I'm definately doing something wrong :(

Merkaba
10-26-2004, 12:54 AM
when you inhale your stomach should start to bellow out.

when singing you want to exhale but close the pressure off with the cords so that you have to activate the diaphragm and sort of squeeze from here to get the air/sound to come out. its as if you take a breath and youre getting ready to cough ....but instead you activate the cords now of course you dont push as hard as a cough, but it is the same squeezing feelin in the gut. you have to have a relaxed throat still...and learn how much you need for specific notes. but its the feeling you need to have.

btoto
10-26-2004, 07:04 AM
**** ! I knew I was doing something wrong ! My teacher says not to allow your stomach to expand. She says while inhaling my chest should go up, and the part where diaphragm is should go in. Maybe its because she's opera/choir teacher not rock/pop. I don't know

Merkaba
10-26-2004, 10:42 AM
^ Thats just nonsense. I mean your chest is gonna rise too...but its almost impossible to breathe deeply without your organs expanding below your lungs. Maybe she just didnt explain it well. I'm hoping at least, that she's not saying your stomach wont go out at all. As im trying that now, its quite difficult to get a good breath not allowing your stomach to expand. I mean, dont push it out, and its not gonna be far, but but just relax and it will expand. Just breathe. See this is what im talking about. people overexplain stuff and dont do it well. if you just relax and dont think about singing your chest will go out a bit and your stomach will a bit...it has to if you dont constrict it because the air is making your body expand. Its that simple.

Relmar
10-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Do I breathe slowly or what, usually I inhale for 3 sec and exhale for 2 sec. I still dont get how to apply this to singing, Im always running out of breath.