PDA

View Full Version : Would you take this gig?

chefbubble
10-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Our band are freshman in high school, and we just got offered to play at a couple of middle school dances in the area. We also have a friend who's getting us a few in coffee places and stuff cause she knows the owner, and the coffee shops would be much more serious gigs. They don't conflict with each other, we could do both, but would these middle schools help or harm a band's reputation?

FunkyJudas333
10-24-2004, 07:28 PM
I say if its a paying gig and you need some cash, go for it.

chefbubble
10-24-2004, 07:35 PM
FunkyJudas, as much as I value your opinion...you're in the band. I was sort of looking for an outside opinion. :thumb:

Standard29
10-24-2004, 08:33 PM
I'd say it could help, If someone who goes to the middle school dance likes your band, there gunna want to see you again, therefore maybe check you guys out at others shows such as the coffee shop show, giving u a bigger crowd then you would have if you didn't play the middle school dance. Just a suggestion though.

hitman418
10-24-2004, 09:06 PM
i don't know about a middle school thing......

but cofee houses=a blast

Drazinus
10-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Are these your first gigs? Because, I would almost think, that if the dances were before the coffee shop shows, then you could consider the dances as like, practice gigs. I personally would definetly take them.

[-Draz-]

apromisingyear
10-24-2004, 11:03 PM
I say take any gig your offered (unless its for a cause in which you dont support).
Any gig will get your name out...for sure take both gigs.

A sugggestion for the school dance...

play MxPx - GSF

It's a slow song that people can dance to :thumb:

shadedlife
10-24-2004, 11:34 PM
definitely take the dance gig. the more gigs, the better. experience, exposure, and all that jazz.

Merkaba
10-25-2004, 12:29 AM
yea...i agree. i mean youre just one grade out of middle school, dont let it go to your head yet rock star! They could really help spread the word. I mean, i wouldnt do a middle school give to save my life....well...thats because....im 28!!

Merkaba
10-25-2004, 12:34 AM
FunkyJudas, as much as I value your opinion...you're in the band. I was sort of looking for an outside opinion. :thumb:

:lol:...thats funny. trying to coerce are we. we know where he stands huh!?
Funky Judas....cool name.

KKKKKocaine
10-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Our band are freshman in high school, and we just got offered to play at a couple of middle school dances in the area. We also have a friend who's getting us a few in coffee places and stuff cause she knows the owner, and the coffee shops would be much more serious gigs. They don't conflict with each other, we could do both, but would these middle schools help or harm a band's reputation?

It wouldn't harm your reputation at all, If yoy played Middle school dance's and only those, then it would harm your reputation, Playing for a couple of dances won't sully your 'look'.
The same way playing a gig at an Irish Centre won't make my band look Irish.

wussrocker
10-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I say if its a paying gig and you need some cash, go for it.

LOL!!!

I would say play for free to spread your name. And playing at a middle school is a great place to do that for a band that's in high school. Let's just say you are being proactive!

Anyways just my 2 cents! Good Luck :thumb:

Dredg
10-25-2004, 12:44 PM
A gig's a gig, play as many as you can manage. The only place you could play at that might damage your reputation would be something like a knitting festival.

Drazinus
10-25-2004, 01:02 PM
A gig's a gig, play as many as you can manage. The only place you could play at that might damage your reputation would be something like a knitting festival.

Well, even then, it might not hurt your reputation, depending on your style...

[-Draz-]

chefbubble
10-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Alright thanks, we'll take it. I've got another question though. As far as like coffee shop things go, are open mic nights just as good as regular gigs? Thanks.

bitLion
10-25-2004, 09:42 PM
On the subject of the middel school dances, are you going to have to tailor your setlist? Are they going to blow a valve if you use any profanity? Just wondering what kind of limitations they might put on you.

As for the open mic night thing, it kind of depends on the scene. I've played some open mic gigs - some were great, and others were kind of lame. They also usually don't pay anything. If the venue is someplace where you can be pretty sure you'll have friends, people who like you music, and no guy playing "enya impressions" on a xylophone hogging the mic - go for it.

chefbubble
10-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks, and about the profanity-we don't really do much of anything with profanity. That won't really be a problem.

drumfreak
10-25-2004, 10:12 PM
It would help with the talking that goes around in school, and if some cocky basterd makes fun of you just say at least I have a band. And if he does then just show him up.

Merkaba
10-26-2004, 02:00 AM
....a knitting fesitval...
:lol:

Knit one pearl two...KNIT ONE PEARL TWOOOOO!!!!....RARRRRRRRRR!!!!

and yea, open mics usually have a smaller crowd. you can meet other bands there though. Its good to know as many bands as you can for future opportunities.

NillerSG
10-26-2004, 05:54 AM
Everything is good. Play everywhere and anywhere that you can. No matter where. The further away from your style the place is the more you got to kick it to the max.

Trigger_003
10-26-2004, 06:07 AM
....a knitting fesitval...
:lol:

Knit one pearl two...KNIT ONE PEARL TWOOOOO!!!!....RARRRRRRRRR!!!!

:lol:!

Yeah anyway - you've probably taken it already, but in case you haven't and still can, do. People around that age love that stuff, man! Good experience too :thumb:

And Merk's right, getting to know other bands can help you with joint gigs, contacts, etc.- s'all good!

i'm_soooo_emo
10-26-2004, 11:22 AM
*wants to be american*

Dredg
10-26-2004, 11:32 AM
*wants to be american*

Lol, why in God's name would you want that?! I'm Scottish and proud :D

chefbubble
10-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks. And don't wish you were American, a week from today we're going to re-elect a dumbass for president and cause "nucular" war :upset:

KKKKKocaine
10-27-2004, 02:55 AM
Thanks. And don't wish you were American, a week from today we're going to re-elect a dumbass for president and cause "nucular" war :upset:

If you were to convert America's nuclear arsenal into explosives, it would come to 3 tonnes of TNT for every person alive.
That's a jolly thought :)

Drazinus
10-27-2004, 08:29 AM
If you were to convert America's nuclear arsenal into explosives, it would come to 3 tonnes of TNT for every person alive.

That's an interesting fact...I love my country...ph34r!

[-Draz-]

Merkaba
10-27-2004, 10:06 AM
*wants to be american*
Why would you want that shlt?

Nah, just kidding... I'm American.....

hehe. Hell, the way we let everybody in I'm sure you could come over sooner or later!

Dredg
10-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Let everybody in?! Nahh, no way Merkaba. When I went to Orlando last year, the securty guys at imigration control almost jumped on me for walking through the metal detector with a set of keys! Nah, I'd say that America is the hardest country to get into.

The UK, on the other hand...we've got ppl running through the channel tunnel every day - and getting away with it! :confused:

veggie 3.14
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Shit!

FunknPunk
10-27-2004, 12:24 PM
screw america, I'm moving to the UK when I'm 18... :)

Definately take the gig, man. As an ex middle schooler (freshie now same as you :lol: ) i'd say they'd think you guys were the bees knees. Just do all the fancy ****, and they won't even care if you can't play... stars in their eyes.

America's stupid. And Dredg, you only get jumped on if you're coming in LEGALLY. If you just cross the mojave desert, then, well, we apparently don't give a ****. Car keys on you or no.

chefbubble
10-27-2004, 04:38 PM

At least we know it's in good hands! [/sarcasm]

Well I found something out last night which might significantly affect our decision about it. It turns out it's at like an assembaly, not a dance, so kids would be sat down and forced to watch us, which in a hyper teenager's mind, could take the fun out of a zeppelin concert. Would this change your mind on whether or not to take it?

FunknPunk
10-27-2004, 10:26 PM
oh, ****, man! Assemblys SUCK! I wouldn't. The kids hate assemblys, therefore might hate you. Do your coffee house one.

rAOL
10-28-2004, 05:08 PM

Don't knock those knitting festivals, they can get pretty rowdy :p

My band played 2 high school dances, and they were a lot of fun. It also seemed to help a bit on regular gigs since I saw some kids from those schools at the gig. It didn't help me too much though since we play a bunch of bars and the kids can't get in cause they r underage hehe.

I've also played 2 assemblies with my friend's band. The kids really seemed to dig the music. Although they couldn't get up and dance and all that, I had a whole bunch of ppl come up to me and say things like "awesome set" and "do you guys play gigs?". This was at my own school though so it may be different, but I don't think so since other bands have played in assembly and ppl though thtey were aweful.

My 2 cents

KissMeIamSh*tFaced
10-28-2004, 06:21 PM
If you're ready take as many gigs as you can get

guitari265
10-28-2004, 06:55 PM
this may go against your personal values but at a middle school the stuff to play is blink 182, sum 41, green day, etc. things the majority of those kids listen to. I speak from experience, having a bunch of younger kids liking you is actually very beneficial. When your seniors the whole school will know you.

KissMeIamSh*tFaced
10-28-2004, 09:16 PM
it's true... they become your pet midgets...

MustkillLois6712
10-28-2004, 10:13 PM
some kids might like the fact that they get to get out of class to see your band play and possibally see it as less of an assembaly

metaliq
10-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I would say it depends upon your style...

We are pretty much metal, and its hard to do metal vocals (mentally, at that...) in front of a whole bunch of little kids who listen to pop punk. I supose if your modern rock/softer stuff I would say play anywhere... but its hard to play at a place you know quiet a few people will get up and walk out because they dont like the style, lol.

chefbubble
10-28-2004, 10:33 PM
We have some pretty heavy stuff balanced with some pretty mellow stuff, but its all really dark feeling. And I know what you mean about mentally doing the vocals. I know if I were in middle school, even though I'd like the music, I might not even give the band a chance. What might be better is advertizing by word of mouth so everyone still knows about us, and maybe we could get people to come to coffee houses when we play and stuff?

Merkaba
10-29-2004, 02:25 AM
i would do an assembly only...ONLY if the band is emo or pop, or just "rock". That way you can get away with playing aforementioned material like blink, sum, greenday, etc....maybe do teen spirit! hehe...most kids wont know about that now though, hehe.