PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to construct your own monitors?

Flik
10-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Obviously I mean the type of monitor you would use when recording. :p

For the sake of experience I was curious whether it is at all possible to buy the 'bits' and put them together to make your own monitor speaker(s).

Also if I was looking for some sort of converter to convert a guitar lead (1/4inch) to the sort of input cable you'd find on a standard pc mic what adaptor would I look for. A 1/4 inch to 3.5 mono adaptor? or other? (scuse me if that bit didn't make much sense) oh and the same with xlr (sp?) to 1/4 adaptor :)

and and one last thing! are monitor headphones just as good as monitor speakers?

Tank you tonnes!

threemoresteps
10-24-2004, 12:03 PM
u can by all that at radio shack

Jezen
10-24-2004, 05:39 PM
yeh we know you can buy it, just, would it be hard to make you own monitors. Coz im considering building a rec studio and I dont have too much money.

Aes820
10-24-2004, 06:29 PM
For recording. I would reccomend headphone monitors over wedges.

Flik
10-25-2004, 09:19 AM
For recording. I would reccomend headphone monitors over wedges.

wedges are the standup 'standard' tower monitors right?

jarviss
10-25-2004, 09:19 PM
recording monitors are *NOT* wedges
wedges are on stage so you can hear certain things in the mix live that you *need* to hear

recording monitors..no, you can't make them, unless you're really smart, have lotsa money
*IMO*

cause they're made to uncolor yoru recordings...not to make them sound pretty or anything...just give you what you record...

whereas general stereo speakers push certain frequencies over others...
you'd not get a good idea of the true sound

IMO...the answer is no

-g

1/4" to 1/8" stereo reducing jack at radio shack is under 2 bucks

and no...headphones are not better than monitors
i *have* to use headphones cause i dont have studio monitors.

good luck

Merkaba
10-26-2004, 02:21 AM
Like aes said you can get monitor headphones..but good ones are still pricey. As far as a true monitor...yes its like jarviss said, monitors arent just speakers. They are specifically made to balance out waveforms. So youre better off buying monitors if you really want monitors. Youre talking about something that companies spend millions of dollars of research on in order to be more affective at decongesting sound.

Flik
10-26-2004, 06:06 AM
thanx a willion!

kroedler
10-26-2004, 10:52 AM
look at the guitar forum theres a thread with instructions on the first page atm... it costed like 26 pounds or dollars i dont exactly know!

Aes820
10-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Ahh.. Right. I was thinking that you wanted monitors to listen to while you were playing and recording. And in that case you'd want headphones.

But for mixing an mastering, yes, use studio monitors. Reasons as what Jarviss and Merkaba stated.