PDA

View Full Version : help

IOWNU200
10-23-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm looking for some good informative websites about the operation of PA's.
Also anything on just simple recording on a 4 track.
Thanks

Merkaba
10-23-2004, 03:21 PM
I think you should repost this question with the subject reading... "Help me Aes!"

He's the resident equipment guru around these parts. at least thats what i've gathered by my own reading. when i get a question about equipment(which i dont now because im solo, but if i do ever) that will be my subject line!

IOWNU200
10-24-2004, 09:52 PM
heh, sounds good to me

Aes820
10-24-2004, 10:27 PM
What did you want to know about PAs?
Were you looking at setting one up? Or just working the desk?
To what scale are we talking here? Something huge or just for smaller gigs?

Merkaba
10-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Lucky he found you. It doesnt change your subject line if you only edit it. thats why i said repost. I know from previous foul ups I've made. But oh well. hehe.

IOWNU200
10-26-2004, 06:50 PM
lol, I already have the PA, i just need to know how to set it up. We'll just play small venues if that helps

Aes820
10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
what make/model is it? Did you buy it as a packaged setup? Is it one of those ones with a powered mixer and a couple of speakers?

IOWNU200
10-26-2004, 07:13 PM
it's a powered mixer with a couple speakers, it's a Mackie brand and it has 500 W's i believe

Aes820
10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Well. I would suggest you read through The PA thread. Which is somewhere in this forum. I think it's on page 2 because it hasnt been bumped in a couple of days.
There is some general advise with PAs in that thread.

Secondly. You should read your manual. Find out what you can and cannot do safely with your PA. And find out the correct way to set it up. I don't think I should have to tell you what you cant just read in your manual anyway.

If it is one of those PAs that you can bridge. Make sure you know what bridge mode is and only use it if needs be.
If it is one of those ones that can be split for monitoring. Make sure you know what this is and, once again, only use it if needs be.

Connect each input (mic or line) into each channel on your PA that you need. Only use one channel per input source. Adjust each channels levels so that they are suitably mixed and none of them 'peak' even when you scream into the mic.
Tweak each channels EQing to suit your desired sound ( a slightly scooped EQ curve sounds nice for guitar and vocals). And also if your PA has a reverb, adding a touch of reverb to vocals can give it a nice depth.
Adjust your overall volume to suit how loud you want to be for that venue. Having your speakers on stands also helps alot towards your perceived loudness.

While mixing and doing your soundchecks. You would want a friend with a good set of ears out in the audience area to listen and to judge that evything has been mixed suitably.