PDA

View Full Version : Growling/Screaming Vocals - Help & Tips

Face Melter
10-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Does anyone have any good tips for growling & screaming? If you do post them here. I wanna try to get those deep brutal growls, (death metal vocals)

KKKKKocaine
10-23-2004, 02:18 PM
There is a thread on it somewhere.

sliver
10-23-2004, 04:43 PM
you could just post it in the screaming thread, I think it might be more effective... plus we won't have 800 threads on "screaming." Then again, it's not like this is a hugely popular part of the forum anyway :p

Merkaba-1 seems to be the screaming expert now :D ask him.

Humpy
10-25-2004, 07:00 PM
bump-o

Face Melter
10-25-2004, 09:32 PM
you could just post it in the screaming thread, I think it might be more effective... plus we won't have 800 threads on "screaming." Then again, it's not like this is a hugely popular part of the forum anyway :p

Merkaba-1 seems to be the screaming expert now :D ask him.
I dont want screaming more of "growling"

Merkaba
10-26-2004, 02:16 AM
its all the same thing. A forced note. theres one way to do it properly and that is to have an open relaxed throat, no matter how hard you wanna sound. you can help by learning to isolate the throat from the cords. this way you can learn to drop your throat(your adams apple) giving your throat more space which equals less tension for the cords. But like always...you have to be able to sing the note. practice singing the notes you want to growl. its the same way as if youre gonna sing any other pitch. now if you cant sing then youre gonna have a harder time. Practice singing. make lots of low oh's and drop the chin and jaw a bit. again...you cant get a bass sound from a tweeter size output...and vice versa. so if youre wanted a low growl..then you have to open up the instrument. you cant get much bass out of a three inch woofer. you have to drop the jaw and learn to drop the larynx. (your adams apple) but seperately from moving your cords. this is covered a bit in the isolation thread in my voicehelp hotline.

Youre talking about range a bit here, so you will have some limitations...but you can increase your lower range a bit with practice. To anyone starting off....i say practice singing the note as much as screaming or growling it. youre gonna have to be able to make the note and hold it against massive resistance...especially low notes cause the cords are thicker. screaming and growling all should start off with the same approach as singing. and please warm up and warm down. Go to the voicehelp hotline. everything there applies to you except anything talking about falsetto. but its all the same anyways.