PDA

View Full Version : Punk forum literature thread

Volume8
10-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Name some good books/magazines that you would recommend anyone to read...

Political Books;

o A Reason To Be Cheerful - Mark Steel's book on politics from the 70's to today, Quite an interesting and amusing book, Deals with serious issues whilst remaining witty.

o Viva La Revolution - Another book by Mark Steel about the french Revolution, Again very witty and intelligent, I have only read half of it as the library robbed it back and fined me, bastards!

o Animal Farm - George Orwells finest work in my opinion, Political fable using Animals to represent the Russian Revolution, Well worth a read.

Other Books;

o 144 Picadilly Street - Samuel Fuller's amusing book about a group of people from contrasting cultures all crammed in the same squat in constant threat from the old bill, Hippies, Skinheads, Rockers and a Journalist. Check it out!

o Human Punk - John King's book that follows the antics of a young punk who witnesses the death of a freind of his, trecks accross russia and so forth, Quite an intreaging book, worth a read.

Magazines;

o Private Eye - Politically based magazine for the uk, available in most decent Newsagents although it is sometimes a pain in the arse to get, Comes out monthly!

o Organize - Anarchist Federations magazine for the uk, i beleave it can be shipped to america, Usually comes out around 3 times a year. If you want to know more about it, check out the Anarchist Federations website

DeathHawk
10-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Brave New World - Huxley's masterpiece about a futuristic society in which people are conditioned to accept their goverment controlled lives.

Cats Cradle - A book about the end of the world, religion, foot sex, and various other commodities.

Volume8
10-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Cats cradle rings a bell for some reason, I will check it out none the less, couldn't give me the name of the author could you?

DeathHawk
10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Kurt Vonnegut

I think all of his books are great.

IFlogMyMolly16
10-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Magazine/Periodical: Weekly World News
They aren't afraid to tell the truth!

sketchyjoe
10-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Fiction:

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller - The best book about war ever written and the funniest book ever all roled into one.

Any Kurt Vonnegut book - Seriously, he's a genius. My favourites are Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast Of Champions and Mother Night

Non-Fiction:

Killing Hope - William Blum - The best book on US foreign policy I've ever read. Very comprehensive. There are samples of it on Propagandhi's Today's Empires, Tommorrows Ashes CD-ROM extras

Sandinistas - Dennis Gilbert - A comprehensive look at the Sandinista Regime. Very well written.

Autobiography - Malcolm X - The best autobiography I've ever read. Entertaining and informative

For Reasons Of State - Noam Chomsky - A collection of his essays including a large one on the Vietnam war and a good introduction to Anarchism.

Volume8
10-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Death hawk do you have msn per chance, you appear to be one of the more worthy posters on this ridiculous excuse of a punk forum, With out Meg, Nick, Jme, And often Joe this place really would be a waste of space!

bitLion
10-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Books

o Fight Club - Check Palahniuk's book of pent up testosterone and destruction

o Please Kill Me - A history of punk in the form of quotes from notable figures

o Humanity: A Moral History of the 20th Century - It sounds thick, but it's actually very readable. Gives a good perspective as to how we got into this mess.

Photobooks

o Glen E. Friedman's "F u c k you Heroes" and "Banned in DC"

Magazines

o Adbusters - media and cultural critics, reclaiming the mental environment

DeathHawk
10-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Death hawk do you have msn per chance, you appear to be one of the more worthy posters on this ridiculous excuse of a punk forum, With out Meg, Nick, Jme, And often Joe this place really would be a waste of space!

msn?

Is that instant messaging?

I only have aim at urielerubey

Volume8
10-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Ah. no matter then. cheers anyway.

listerine ice cream
10-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Magazine/Periodical: Weekly World News
They aren't afraid to tell the truth!

I love that stuff.

Feel The Darkness
10-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Sci-Fi:
Fahrenheit 451 - amazing novel by the legendary Ray Bradbury, written in the 50s at the times of the cold war which also influenced such books as Brave New World and 1984, both great books. F451 concentrates on the topic of censorship. Very good novel, be sure to check it out.

...also on a more web-oriented piece of work, goto http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1931/ , it's the Anarchist FAQ, believe as much as you think you know about Anarchism, this site will teach you a thing or two...or even three...:chug:

Andytheluddite
10-22-2004, 07:27 PM
The technological soceity- Jacque ellul
Society of the spectacle- Debord
Culture of make believe- Derrick jensen
Any John Zerzan book
Revolution of everyday life
Anarchism after leftism- Bob Black
Unabombers Manifesto (Google it!) - Ted K!
Rebels against the future: The luddites and their war against the industrial revolution- Kirpatrick Sale.

BostonBound988
10-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Any Dead Koontz, that guy is a genius. I have yet to read one of his books I didn't like...

Ones to get: "The Eyes Of Darkness" and "Fear Nothing"

Brain Toad
10-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Fiction
1984 by George Orwell - Orwell's eerily prophotic tale of the future and the control and spying of the government
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess - The corruption of society shown through the eyes of a ruffen youth, humourous and frightening at the same time.
Anthem by Ayn Rand - Short book about a society where there is no individual, the entire thing is written in first person plural.

Non-Fiction
Please Kill Me - A history of punk, I have yet to read it, but I've heard good things about it

IFlogMyMolly16
10-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh yeah. Anthem was a good one.

Brain Toad
10-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Also, if you like humour books check out the entire series of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy books by Douglas Adams, there are 5 in the trilogy. I love 'em, I'm on the 5th now.

AnihilateShrubbery
10-22-2004, 10:00 PM
The Clash- Return of The Last Gang in Town
Punk- Loud, Young and Snotty
1984- George Orwell
THE CALL OF CTHULHU!!!!- H.P. Lovecraft (for all those real goths out there)
Ender's Game- dont know who its by, but really good
Dune Series- Frank Herbert
No Woman, No Cry- bob marley's wife
and finally

SIMPSONS COMICS- ALL GREAT, GREAT FOR LONG CAR RIDES,TRAIN RIDES, PLANE RIDES, VACATIONS, CASUAL READING, BRILLIANTLY MASTERED, lol

anyway, if you have read any of these please say there good or something

DeathHawk
10-22-2004, 10:04 PM
I forgot the Dune series.

These books are seriously amazing.

The depth, characters, and how everything interwines is unbelievable.

pedro durruti
10-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Also, if you like humour books check out the entire series of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy books by Douglas Adams, there are 5 in the trilogy. I love 'em, I'm on the 5th now.
yeah good shit

AnihilateShrubbery
10-22-2004, 10:33 PM
i have only one thing to say to that

obese_breasts
10-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Ender's Game- dont know who its by, but really good

That is a really good book by Orson Scott Card. I have been hooked on that series for quite a while.

AnihilateShrubbery
10-22-2004, 10:43 PM
That is a really good book by Orson Scott Card. I have been hooked on that series for quite a while.
i useually hate reading, but my friend threw that book at me and said to read it, and if i didnt he would sic his badass dog on me. anyway, i read it and it changed my veiw on reading

DrGolovaCroxby
10-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Henry David Thoreau : Walden; Life in the Woods -
It's a very good book on the subject of Transcendentalism. Kind of a hard read, but it's good stuff, over all.

Edgar Allen Poe : Complete Works -
Most of you should know this man, and if you don't, then you suck at life and don't deserve to know his greatness.

George Orwell : Shooting an Elephant -
Lesser known than 1984 and Animal Farm. Leans more towards non-fiction. It's a good read. Very short.

Bertrand Russel : Marriage and Morals -
A very unbiased look at morality. Very interesting read by a very interesting man. He has an essay which I think a lot of you might like called "10 Reasons Why I am not a Christian"

Marshall McLuhan : Understanding the Media -
About the creation of mass media and how it influenced modern live.

Harold Schechter : A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers -
Gives insight into the minds of serial killers. Very engrossing.

SubsonicWax
10-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Books

Great book to help people understand what punk music really is about.

sketchyjoe
10-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Douglas Adams is great. It's a real shame he died before he finished the final one. What annoys me though is everyone who says that he was the first person to make Science Fiction funny.

SickOnTheBusYouCunt
10-23-2004, 08:37 AM
arnt there 4 books in the trilogy?

Jedi Jesus
10-23-2004, 08:42 AM

There are 5 in the TRIology?

Wow, that guy is pretty awesome to fit 5 books into a 3 book series!

www.johntaylorgatto.com read some of his stuff on schooling its very good

sketchyjoe
11-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I just re-read Long Walk To Freedom, Nelson Mandela's autobiography. Great book and interesting from start to finish.

DOLEMITE
11-13-2004, 06:05 PM
[/B]Fiction[B]: a clockwork Orange

Non Fiction: Fear and loathing in las vegas
Hells angels

Biography: Englands dreaming

I have read all these books between oct/nov

chips88
11-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Ayn Rand-Atlas Shrugged- It's twice as good as Anthem. It deals with the same thing, but mainly it talks about how doing everything for the common good just won't work, and how everything should be done for yourself. I havnt read it in a while, but I remember that it's one of the best books I've ever read

A Brave New World- This differ's from distopian novels such as 1984 in that it predicts that the totalitarian society will be self-initiated, that people will actually want it, that we will cause it. It rings truer than 1984, and it's predictions are more correct than any other book of this kind.

pedro durruti
11-13-2004, 06:15 PM
America (The Book)

DOLEMITE
11-13-2004, 06:17 PM
America (The Book)
the favorite puk band thing in it is hella funny

*NevermindTheBallots*
11-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Has anyone said George Orwell's 1984?

Anyway, Thanks for adding to the thread, nice to see its still in use!

thepo
11-13-2004, 08:32 PM
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

I love that book so much, it's genius. I'm reading Nine Stories by Salinger too. It's pretty good.

Craka_Plz
11-13-2004, 08:45 PM
The Catcher in the Rye is definatly my favorite book I have ever read.

cbmartinez
11-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Me too.

Books To Check Out:
Animal Farm
Lord Of The Flies
The Good Earth
Of Mice And Men
Flowers For Algernon

Alley McSqueal
11-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Animal Liberation by Peter Singer
1984 By George Orwell
Animal Farm by George Orwell

And for a laugh The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

Alley McSqueal
11-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Me too.

Books To Check Out:

Of Mice And Men

Thats my favourite book EVER

thepo
11-13-2004, 09:03 PM
It would be my favorite book too, except that i haven't read that many.

What's Lord of the Flies about? My sister told me that when her class read it, the teacher kept linking one of the kids to the devil, and one of them to god or an angel. I'm asking because I remember Bad Religion mentions it on one of the songs off of Suffer.

cbmartinez
11-13-2004, 09:04 PM

The ending was fucking amazing. It blew me away.

cbmartinez
11-13-2004, 09:06 PM
It would be my favorite book too, except that i haven't read that many.

What's Lord of the Flies about? My sister told me that when her class read it, the teacher kept linking one of the kids to the devil, and one of them to god or an angel. I'm asking because I remember Bad Religion mentions it on one of the songs off of Suffer.

Well, it's about a group of boys who crash on an island. No adults are around and the story is about them trying to set up a society but everything crumbles. The underlying themes are human nature and loss of innocence. Many of characters represent things such as order, anarchism and Christ, but the book is trying to point out the savagery of human nature.

Alley McSqueal
11-13-2004, 09:11 PM

You should see the movie too. John Malkovich is fantastic in it.

cbmartinez
11-13-2004, 09:13 PM
We started watching it in class, but we only got to the part where he crushes the guy's hand, I think. Gary Sinise and John Malkovich both acted excellent. God, I forgot how much I love that book. In fact, I'm going to read it right now.

I've read Catcher and handful of times.

redwedding
11-13-2004, 09:18 PM
And for a laugh The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks[/QUOTE]

I'm prepared. Are you? Anyways, most of the good books were taken, but some really good ones were left out.

Stupid White Men - Michael Moore's post 9/11 fact filled novel about how much George Bush sucks. The facts will shock you.
Youth In Revolt - Hilarious book about a teenager in California that goes to extreme lengths to try and have sex with the woman of his dreams. One of the funniest books I've ever read.
The Perks of Being A Wallflower - A series of letters written by a boy named Charlie. Perfectly describes the challenges of being a teenager. Filled with mix tapes, special brownies, teenage abortions, and lost virginity.
Steal This Book - Instruction book for being a baadass. How to steal, fight, forge, pirate, rig, and lie your way through life. Very thorough.

Craka_Plz
11-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Steal This Book - Instruction book for being a baadass. How to steal, fight, forge, pirate, rig, and lie your way through life. Very thorough.

I'm 100% badass.

Shannon Deadbeat
11-13-2004, 09:34 PM
there is a book called 'PUNK'
gives in depth history of Old skool punk 1977-1986(i think)

skabum651
11-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Noam Chomsky- Laungage and Politics
Noam Chomsky- 9/11
Al Franken- Lies and the Lieing Liars Who Tell Them
Tom Wolfe- Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Jack Kerouac- Visions of Cody

rocknroll1030
11-13-2004, 10:06 PM
i useually hate reading, but my friend threw that book at me and said to read it, and if i didnt he would sic his badass dog on me. anyway, i read it and it changed my veiw on reading

yeah same here, cept minus the dog thing

obese_breasts
11-13-2004, 10:12 PM
America (The Book)

You beat me to it.

capri sun junkie
11-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death and Grindcore

Came out not too long ago, I'm going on a big search for it.

amped_guitarist
11-13-2004, 10:44 PM
1984!
catcher in the rye
small town punk
salad days

Brain Toad
11-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Catcher in the Rye was ok, I understand why its a classic, but I didn't find it absolutely wonderful.

amped_guitarist
11-13-2004, 10:56 PM
The part when Holden is leaving the school and yells "Sleep tight you bastards" is still one of my favorite paragraphs in a book ever.

40 oz 2 freedom
11-13-2004, 11:06 PM

It's mine too.

lynch_me
11-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Harry potter - a kewl bok aboot a boy who lieks magic and solves mistories wit his wizard friands

sketchyjoe
11-14-2004, 06:47 AM
And you weren't the only one.

Personally, I thought Catcher In The Rye sucked. It was just boring.

*NevermindTheBallots*
11-14-2004, 07:09 AM
You should see the movie too. John Malkovich is fantastic in it.

Of Mice And Men is alright, Although we were forced to read it in school so it took the fun out of it somewhat. John Malkovich is a fucking fantastic movie, incredibly clever and funny at the same time.

sketchyjoe
11-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Of Mice And Men is alright, Although we were forced to read it in school so it took the fun out of it somewhat.
Same here

*NevermindTheBallots*
11-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Same here

The old English Lit GCSE exam! bah almost 5 years ago now and the wounds still hurt!

thepoweroflard
11-14-2004, 07:14 AM
all geoge orwell books

Saberpunk
11-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Political non fiction.

War Against the Weak

a book on the program of eugenics in america and the connections to Hitler's eugenics programs during WW2, plus how the eugenics program is continued to this day

Political Fiction,

Hearts in Atlantis

Written by Steven King, this is a look at the Vietnam war through the eyes of various people before, after, and during the war itself. very interesting and well written

AIRIC
11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm reading Please Kill Me right now. Is that any good to get some punk history, or just total ****?

SickBoy
11-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Burning Britain is great

SickBoy
11-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Burning Britain is great

anti_emo_punk
11-14-2004, 03:11 PM
A clockwork orange classic

rancidpunk
11-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Books

o Fight Club - Check Palahniuk's book of pent up testosterone and destruction

o Humanity: A Moral History of the 20th Century - It sounds thick, but it's actually very readable. Gives a good perspective as to how we got into this mess.

Photobooks

o Glen E. Friedman's "F u c k you Heroes" and "Banned in DC"

Magazines

o Adbusters - media and cultural critics, reclaiming the mental environmentFight Club really wasn't a very good book, Chuck Palahniuk the movie was actually better in this instance.

As for my picks :

Clockwork Orange
Animal Farm
Catcher in the Rye
Catch 22

NewKindofArmy03
11-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Me too.

Books To Check Out:

Lord Of The Flies

I thought that book was horrible, my class finished reading it last month in school. Of Mice and Men was a really good book though, it wasn't predictable like most books are.

40 oz 2 freedom
11-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Fight Club really wasn't a very good book, Chuck Palahniuk the movie was actually better in this instance.

Fight Club is my favorite movie and I still thought the book was just as good, if not better.

victimofreality
11-14-2004, 04:10 PM
I will agree with Sketchy Joe about Catch 22. It is probably my favorite book ever.

Other books that I like are "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, and "ONe Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest" by Ken Kesey.

sketchyjoe
11-14-2004, 05:05 PM
I will agree with Sketchy Joe about Catch 22. It is probably my favorite book ever.

Other books that I like are "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, and "ONe Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest" by Ken Kesey.
Those are all great books. I love the section in Cuckoo's Nest where McMurphy punches through the window. There is not a single section is Catch 22 that isn't funny, except Snowden's secret and that's incredibly moving.

Brain Toad
11-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I haven't read the book One Flew Over, but I've seen the movie and Jack Nicholson was great.

sketchyjoe
11-14-2004, 05:38 PM
The book is better than the film in my opinion.

pedro durruti
11-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Haha this thread is about literature and it's spelled wrong!

sketchyjoe
11-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Oh the irony.

IFlogMyMolly16
11-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Haha I didn't even notice that.

*NevermindTheBallots*
11-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Haha this thread is about literature and it's spelled wrong!

Hahahahaha, Oh yeah!

Shame on me :upset:

thepo
11-14-2004, 06:18 PM
The part when Holden is leaving the school and yells "Sleep tight you bastards" is still one of my favorite paragraphs in a book ever.

My favorite part has to be when Holden says, "This is a people shooting hat. I shoot people in this hat." It was also hilarious when Holden says that Stradlater was a very sexy bastard.

DOLEMITE
11-14-2004, 07:16 PM
A clockwork orange classic
its very confusing

skabum651
11-14-2004, 09:00 PM
The book is better than the film in my opinion.The book is better because Kesey wrote half of it while stoned on LSD, grass, and speed.

I think it's the best book to film transition ever.

Arucard
11-15-2004, 09:20 AM
any jeffery deaver for me at the minute

dislocated214
11-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Can anyone give me a good book to read. Less than 250 pages please? I'm in 8th grade, and would want a book political or not. I'd prefer a realistic fiction book cause I got to do a book project. But I don't really care that much. Just something where I'd understand most of the words. I wanted to do Dance Of Days but I think its too long I'm getting bored with some of the writing.

obese_breasts
11-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Brave New World, 259 pages

dislocated214
11-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Who is the author/what is it about?

obese_breasts
11-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Aldous Huxley, It is about the future (via 1940's) about a society where everyone's life are predetermined from birth. I am only a little into it, but it is really good.

Silvermedalmafia
11-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Animal Farm by George Orwell is a classic view of society, as is Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck.

victimofreality
11-20-2004, 04:04 PM
More good war books:
Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

I also enjoy reading Tom Clancy and John Grisham. It isn't high literature but enjoyable reads.

SickOnTheBusYouCunt
11-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Aldous Huxley, It is about the future (via 1940's) about a society where everyone's life are predetermined from birth. I am only a little into it, but it is really good.

it starts of great, but really sucks the more you read

Bass Space
11-20-2004, 05:31 PM
ahem thank you for your time

Bass Space
11-20-2004, 05:34 PM
did u know that u cant just right no
it has to be 3 letters long *gasp*

victimofreality
11-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Can anyone give me a good book to read. Less than 250 pages please? I'm in 8th grade, and would want a book political or not. I'd prefer a realistic fiction book cause I got to do a book project. But I don't really care that much. Just something where I'd understand most of the words. I wanted to do Dance Of Days but I think its too long I'm getting bored with some of the writing.
I'm not sure exactly how long it is, but read To Kill A Mockingbird it is a great book.

victimofreality
11-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
Night by Eli Weisel

capri sun junkie
11-24-2004, 01:18 PM
I have read Night for school only but a few weeks ago. It was actually pretty good.

Hey Mr. Light Man
11-24-2004, 06:41 PM
FICTION
-On the Road by Jack Kerouac....an amazing book that launched the Beat Generation
-My Education by William S. Burroughs....a very personal book that compiles several dreams he had
-Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde....just read it.
-God Bless You Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut....a funny, genius tale about a crazy drunk who owns a multimillion dollar foundation
-A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle....my favorite Sherlock Holmes book
-Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain....everyone should read this at least once in their life.
-Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne....classic early sci-fi
-The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury....this was as much a political work as it was a science fiction work
-Candide by Voltaire....a witty philosophical classic
-Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche....one of the greatest philosophical works ever written byonne of the smartest men to have ever lived...
POLITICS
-In Pursuit of Justice by Ralph Nader....political genius
-Profit Over People by Naom Chomsky....about corporations' quest for global power
POETRY/OTHER
-Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg....poetry genius of the 20th century
-Selected Poems by William Blake....he was a better poet, in my opinion, than Shakespeare
-The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allen Poe....he'll give you chills
-The Lords and New Creatures by Jim Morrison....Mr. Morrison was a very underrated poet, he was genius and deserves more credit..
-The Complete Tales of Washington Irving by Washington Irving....very captivating short stories

Anxious
11-24-2004, 07:04 PM
More good war books:
Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

I also enjoy reading Tom Clancy and John Grisham. It isn't high literature but enjoyable reads.
im reading bleachers by john girsham, isnt very good.

futurehomelessman
11-24-2004, 07:11 PM
catcher in the rye bitches!

futurehomelessman
11-24-2004, 07:13 PM
and anything jules verne

Anxious
11-24-2004, 07:17 PM
catcher in the rye bitches!
im reading it now

killboypowerhead
11-24-2004, 09:54 PM
anything by franz kafka

victimofreality
12-05-2004, 02:02 AM
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

I love that book so much, it's genius. I'm reading Nine Stories by Salinger too. It's pretty good.
Nine stories are really good. You can analyze each of them forever. I prefer his short stories to catcher in th rye.

-The Lords and New Creatures by Jim Morrison....Mr. Morrison was a very underrated poet, he was genius and deserves more credit..
I think Jim Morisson is so overrates nowadays. I find it retarded that someone is considered a genius poet if they "challenge the format" (meaning use random capitalization and line structure.) It is stupid that once anyone developes a cult following, anything they do is a genius. If I wrote any of the poems at exactly like his, I would fail english.

Anyway.... right now I am reading the book Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. Anyone ever read it?

farkster
12-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Day of the Tryiffids- John Wyndam (not sure on spelling)
Is an awesome book

sketchyjoe
12-05-2004, 08:41 AM
The best poets are John Keats and Philip Larkin.

MechanicalClockworkOrgy
12-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Clockwork Orange

Systemtrio
12-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Candide is an awesome book. Voltaire was a genius. I also loved Of Mice and Men but other Steinbeck stuff (East of Eden, The Grapes Of Wrath) isnt as good. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby is a good book as well. The films better though.

Hey Mr. Light Man
12-05-2004, 12:47 PM
The best poets are John Keats and Philip Larkin.

The best poets are Allen Ginsberg and Oscar Wilde.

Hey Mr. Light Man
12-05-2004, 12:48 PM
/\ Haha, both a coincidentially gay too! I'll diversify the list, then, by adding Sylvia Plath and William Blake.

me likes punk
12-06-2004, 04:47 PM
a clockwork orange is great but it made me violent

IFlogMyMolly16
12-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Haha a book made you violent?

You're the kind of kid who makes it necessary for Mortal Kombat to have a rating.

Brain Toad
12-06-2004, 05:41 PM
The fact that I'm obsessed with Clockwork Orange (book, movie, and bands) frightens my mom and she is always telling me, "Can't you be obsessed with a less violent thing) I'm punk as f'uck.

IFlogMyMolly16
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
The fact that I'm obsessed with Clockwork Orange (book, movie, and bands) frightens my mom and she is always telling me, "Can't you be obsessed with a less violent thing) I'm punk as f'uck.
That's when you shout anarchy and punch her in the face!

falilv2
12-06-2004, 05:58 PM
fear and loathing in las vegas, a good book and movie. We got the neutron bomb(the untold story of LA punk) is a great book on the la scene in the 80s. It has some pretty funny stuff in there to. If you like the germs, black flag, X then this is a good book. A other good book on music scene stuff is American Hardcore. Its about the hardcore scenes and bands in america, 80-86.

DOLEMITE
12-06-2004, 06:31 PM
im starting to hate it because i am confused

Brain Toad
12-06-2004, 06:35 PM
That's when you shout anarchy and punch her in the face!

That's when I yelled /\nArChY! and then slapped her with my britva, put on my bowler and strutted away.

IFlogMyMolly16
12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
That's when I yelled /\nArChY! and then slapped her with my britva, put on my bowler and strutted away.
Stop your crazy talk, I haven't read that book yet.

Brain Toad
12-06-2004, 06:41 PM
im starting to hate it because i am confused

Try getting a Nadsat translator online, they are simple to fine and will help you a lot.

Stop your crazy talk, I haven't read that book yet.

Well go read it!!!

IFlogMyMolly16
12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I will after I make my mom steal it for me for Christmas!

capri sun junkie
12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I will after I make my mom steal it for me for Christmas!

I thought you celebrated Kwanzaa?

IFlogMyMolly16
12-06-2004, 06:45 PM
I thought you celebrated Kwanzaa?
My adoptive mother is white though.

/ends spam

capri sun junkie
12-06-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm going to find this (http://choosingdeath.com/).

disease_of_being_me
12-14-2004, 08:53 PM
for the love of... suggest two books that i can do my english seminar on..i'm ****ing screwed
two books that somehow relate to one another
i don't have a thesis either....suggestions?

StruckEverywhere
12-15-2004, 12:18 AM
A Grain Of Wheat by Ngugi Wa Thiong'o i ( i think thats how his name is spelt). A book about the Kenyan independance day and the way colonialsim and the approaching independece affected people. A complicated read but interesting and very intelligent. Its fiction.

sketchyjoe
12-15-2004, 04:31 AM
/\ Haha, both a coincidentially gay too! I'll diversify the list, then, by adding Sylvia Plath and William Blake.
Blake doesn't compare to Keats.

allsystemssuck
12-15-2004, 09:05 PM
1984 by george orwell=the book is a soon reality....patriot acts...scary ****
a clockwork orange by anthony burgess= relates to 1984, ministry of love/ religious fundamentalism=republicans=george bush
please kill me:the oral uncensored history of punk= gives a good idea of what punk rock is about

TheNowhereman42
12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series. All the way, so good, all 5 of em.

If your into Historical Fiction Romance of the Three Kingdoms is really good, I'm reading that right now.

Revenge is good too, a recasting of "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Edit: 1984, just because its comparable as hell to America these days what with the Patriot Act and using Iraq as a scape goat and all.

Animal Farm is good too, a history of the U.S.S.R. played out by farm animals.

MechanicalClockworkOrgy
12-16-2004, 05:02 PM
1984 by george orwell=the book is a soon reality....patriot acts...scary ****
a clockwork orange by anthony burgess= relates to 1984, ministry of love/ religious fundamentalism=republicans=george bush
please kill me:the oral uncensored history of punk= gives a good idea of what punk rock is about
mhmhmmmhmmmhmmhmhmhm
*oral* :lol:
mhmhmmmhmmhmhmmmhmmh

no but seriously, have you read clockwork orange or even seen the movie? and what the hell is with you and republicans, sure they lie, but at least they dont throw propaganda left and right like most democrats
not left, not right, but forward

Anxious
12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
8===========>

MechanicalClockworkOrgy
12-16-2004, 05:16 PM
^^ |
| | |
| | | <=============================8
___ | open wide (lame :upset: )
====

MechanicalClockworkOrgy
12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
ok, sorry for the spam, ummm
i may have already said this
but the anne rice books are pretty danm good

StruckEverywhere
12-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Ian Rankin's Rebus novels are all brilliant, im reading the new one now.

StruckEverywhere
12-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah and for a larf and a half, everyone buy the Young Ones book. Funniest stuff you'll ever read, especially the socialist revolution as written by Rick.

sketchyjoe
12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
The Black Book is my favourite Rebus book.

StruckEverywhere
12-17-2004, 04:02 PM
The Black Book is my favourite Rebus book.

Have you got Fleshmarket close yet? Its turning into an exceptional read. Have you read the other Ian Rankin novels where he's writing as Jack Harvery, they are all realy good too, even better in some ways.

MechanicalClockworkOrgy
12-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah and for a larf and a half, everyone buy the Young Ones book. Funniest stuff you'll ever read, especially the socialist revolution as written by Rick.
rick the prick! :lol:

StruckEverywhere
12-17-2004, 04:30 PM
The Young Ones were brilliant. *imitating Rick's voice*

victimofreality
12-18-2004, 12:40 AM
for the love of... suggest two books that i can do my english seminar on..i'm ****ing screwed
two books that somehow relate to one another
i don't have a thesis either....suggestions?
Hamlet by William Shakespeare and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard.

Just finished A MIdsummer NIghts Dream, and am now reading For Whom the Bells Toll by Hemmingway.

TheNowhereman42
12-18-2004, 12:43 AM

they made a book? I gotta go buy that. Someone bought me the complete dvd for christmas a few years back and its absolutley brilliant.

honkybrewster
12-18-2004, 08:34 AM

I'm gonna have to get that, man.

honkybrewster
12-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Anyone here read Raised by Wolves? It's a photo-documentary type thing about some homeless kids and their lives on the streets. It's pretty interesting.

StruckEverywhere
12-20-2004, 12:00 AM
they made a book? I gotta go buy that. Someone bought me the complete dvd for christmas a few years back and its absolutley brilliant.

The book was written by the same people who wrote the show. It's not like a real book in the sense of a novel, it's more like a comic book, hard to describe.

Uncle Pete
12-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Has anyone read Let Fury Have the Hour: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer? I was at Barnes and Noble today and I read the first few pages and it looks pretty good.

TheNowhereman42
12-20-2004, 12:34 AM
THEY'R MAKING A HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY MOVIE!!!!

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!s

Brain Toad
12-20-2004, 01:25 AM
THEY'R MAKING A HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY MOVIE!!!!

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!s

$10 says they will completely ruin it.

jol33
12-20-2004, 02:11 AM
albert camus - the outsider
it may be a bit hard to read and the main character often comes off as an idiot, but it delivers a strong message about how society expects us to act and lie. it shows that anyone who does not follow these perceptions is considered a "monster" or a "freak"
EDIT: it is also really short, it only took my 2 nights to read

nitzguy
01-20-2005, 08:13 AM
o Adbusters - media and cultural critics, reclaiming the mental environment[/QUOTE]

Right on. thats such a good Mag. :thumb:

sam-a-lam
11-11-2005, 07:56 PM
(fiction)Revoloution #9 by Peter Abramhams- about a man who in the 60's was part of a left wing radical group that accadentally kills a young boy while trying to blow up a building, and is forced into an underground existance. then 20 years later he is forced to find all his old accomplices.

sorry fot the crap-py preview... it was a good book... i found it at salvation army...

Anxious
11-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Catcher in the Rye is a book I'm reading and whoring lately. Very Punk.

Rootsradical
11-11-2005, 08:17 PM
I wanna get that book by Ben Weasel, anyone know if it is any good?

Brain Toad
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Catcher in the Rye is a book I'm reading and whoring lately. Very Punk.

I hated that book

Anxious
11-11-2005, 08:38 PM
I hated that book
Alot of peope do, and I can see why. Its either you love it, or hate it.

victimofreality
11-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I was so hesitant to read it or not becase my brother really hated it, but I seriously couldn't put it down. I'm reading it again now.

Ghostfire3
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
What is Catcher in the Rye about?

StruckEverywhere
11-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Shit, this is an old thread.

victimofreality
11-12-2005, 01:14 AM
It's about this kid who gets kicked out of school, so before he goes home, he just goes around places for a few days.

It's not really a book you can talk about the plot of without going way indepth. It's an awesome book though, and it's short too, so you could finish it in a few days easy.

It's funny, just last night, I decided to get some books from the library, and looked through this thread for the first time in a while, then the next day, someone had posted in it.

Brain Toad
11-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Alot of peope do, and I can see why. Its either you love it, or hate it.

Most books that are considered classics are like that.

It's worth the read just to see if you will like it, and its short enough that it wont kill you.

victimofreality
11-12-2005, 01:32 AM
its short enough that it wont kill you.
That doesn't always mean that. Ever read Heart Of Darkness, or The Awakening?

op_ivy37
11-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Kurt Vonnegut

I think all of his books are great.

kurt vonnegut is awesome
ive read most of his books

Ross
11-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Shit, this is an old thread.

Christ yeah, but never mind.

Looking right back to the start...

Private Eye (UK only- sorry guys) is genius. I have a subscription :)

Looking more closely at literature... Hmm. Dan Abnett writes some awesome Sci-Fi War Action books, the main problem is they're set in the Warhammer 40k universe, which makes them horribly unfashionable. But since when did we give a sht about fashion?

As for more traditional reading, brave new world is very very good. Read it now.

Flagjacket
11-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Maxmimum Rocknrolls d00dz.

But that Picaldilly Street book fromt he first post looks interesting. And Catcher in The Rye you should probably read twice. I dunno why, I just understood it a lot better my secnd time through it.

Liebensaft
11-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Don't read it. It was horrible. No plot at all.

AIRIC
11-12-2005, 11:53 AM

But that Picaldilly Street book fromt he first post looks interesting. And Catcher in The Rye you should probably read twice. I dunno why, I just understood it a lot better my secnd time through it.

I really want to read that Picabilly book.

Scabies
11-12-2005, 04:49 PM

I'm that big a fan, The columns are very hit and miss, and i'd rather read interview with bands im at least slight familiar with personally.

Henrik
11-12-2005, 05:50 PM
I am actually reading it right now, and I enjoy it. I know there isn't really any plot, but I love this Holden Caufield guy.

victimofreality
11-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Clearly you don't know what the word plot means.

But like Nick said, some people love it, some hate it.

pedro durruti
11-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Heart of Darkness was horrible

Miss Knottinotsy
11-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy by Tim Burton (poetry): Fun poems about unfortunate children. Very short. I finished it in a few minutes but he shouldn't have really bothered with some of the two lined poems that don't really rhyme, but the rest of the book is lovely.

Party Monster by James St. James: A fabulous tale of a true murder in the '80s told by a drug addicted Club Kid. Reading random bits of it always draws me out of a bad mood. Something over 300 pages.

Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice: Not terribly good, but not entirely awful. I just can't seem to stand the continuous depressions her characters always go though, so I still haven't finished it since I bought it in early 2004. I kind of just read it for the sex scenes.

coheneran
11-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Anyone read any John Le Carre'? He's a genius author. I'm in the middle of The Constant Gardener, and I strongly suggest that you guys read it before watching the movie. It is simply amazing, George Orwell style. If you read Coming Up For Air you would see what I mean. Amazing authorship. Truly amazing. I can't stress enough how great an author this guy is. Read his books!

victimofreality
11-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Heart of Darkness was horrible
I didn't even finish it. That book sucked so hard.

Miss Knottinotsy
11-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Anyone read any John Le Carre'? He's a genius author. I'm in the middle of The Constant Gardener, and I strongly suggest that you guys read it before watching the movie. It is simply amazing, George Orwell style. If you read Coming Up For Air you would see what I mean. Amazing authorship. Truly amazing. I can't stress enough how great an author this guy is. Read his books!
What is it about?

coheneran
11-12-2005, 07:00 PM
What is it about?

Evil pharamceutical companies that ACTUALLY buy exclusive distribution rights for Africa from African nations. And experiment dodgy medicines on villagers. But that's only what's obvious from the first few chapters. I won't ruin it for you, it's simply amazing. I can see from the adverts from the movie that it does not do it justice.

Brain Toad
11-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Antehm by Ayn Rand is a nice short book.
She also wrote Atlas Shrugged which I have sitting in my bookshelf staring at me, I want to read it bu 1000+ pages is f'ucking intimindating.

Miss Knottinotsy
11-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Tell me it's fictional.

coheneran
11-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Tell me it's fictional.

The story is fictional, but he has a good reputation for uncovering capitalism at it's worse without naming actual companies, so no lawsuits there. He also did something about the horrible leabour conditions and living conditions for sweatshop workers in Indonesia as well, but I can't remember the name of the book. I also sugget reading Cloud Atlas, I can't remember whom it's by, but it's really cool.

Miss Knottinotsy
11-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Blender (magazine): They talk about Britney Spears, and Courtney Love an awful lot, but they make up for it by making fun of Michael Jackson, and Ashlee Simpson. I really love the "Who does (insert star) think s/he is?" feature. Very funny magazine.

This is a pretty annoying question by now, but what's Cloud Atlas about? :)

coheneran
11-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Blender (magazine): They talk about Britney Spears, and Courtney Love an awful lot, but they make up for it by making fun of Michael Jackson, and Ashlee Simpson. I really love the "Who does (insert star) think s/he is?" feature. Very funny magazine.

This is a pretty annoying question by now, but what's Cloud Atlas about? :)

It's a combination of stories, all through different parts of time, starting from one in the 18th century, if I recall correctly, and continuing through to the 30s/40s, the 80s, nowadays, then much MUCH later in the future where most of the world is a wasteland apart from Seoul and some other parts, then even further than that after the collapse of 'civilisation' and the return of peaceful and conquest based tribalism. It's really good, I recommend it. On an irrelevant note, to this thread and forum anyway, everyone come join my People Who Hate People Party in the Political forum. We all hate Bill Hicks together a bit more than we hate each other, but the new theory is that hate is an attractive force, like my hated enemy Terry Pratchett writes. Here's the thread, please join me you hateful people! We need two more members to get off the boards.
http://musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412336&page=5

Anxious
11-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I hate you.

Liebensaft
11-12-2005, 08:42 PM
But like Nick said, some people love it, some hate it.
I tend to side with those that hate it.:cool:

I hate you.
Hello to you too. Either way...I didn't like the book at all.

Right now, I'm reading A Separate Peace. It's ok so far, I haven't had a lot of time to read it.

Anxious
11-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Thats a horrible reason not to reccomend it to someone.

I can't stay mad at you

coheneran
11-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Don't reply Choking-Victim, it will go completely off topic and will turn into a spam and flamefest. maybe. maybe not. anything is possible when you're Houdini incarnate.

Anxious
11-12-2005, 08:55 PM
You're proably right, judging from my posting style lately...

Brain Toad
11-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I haven't read a book in a long time. I may pick up Pet Sematary again, I love that book. I've been meaning to to buy Ecotopia and Ecotopia Emerging. Both are about Northern California (Bay Area and northwards), Oregon, and Washington joining together to succeed from the US and become their own Eco-friendly country called ecotopia.

coheneran
11-12-2005, 09:00 PM
You're proably right, judging from my posting style lately...

I got banned for three days because of spamming recently. it made me do doubletake on where my life was headed. i'd been doing drugs, hard drugs. been pimping, raping, advocating for the tobacco companies. I sold some dirty weapons grade plutonium to Libya, disguised as old Vietnamese war C-rations, to give to children. now i'm on a completely different route. *breaks into tears* I'm just so happy I found my way! I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't been banned when I was.

coheneran
11-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I haven't read a book in a long time. I may pick up Pet Sematary again, I love that book. I've been meaning to to buy Ecotopia and Ecotopia Emerging. Both are about Northern California (Bay Area and northwards), Oregon, and Washington joining together to succeed from the US and become their own Eco-friendly country called ecotopia.

WOW! AWESOMEFUL! Must find those books.

Brain Toad
11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Callenbach is the author's name. The new ones were really expensive at Barnes and Noble, so I'm probably ordering used from Amazon. It was written by a UC Berkeley Student that my Sociology teacher knew, hence where I found out about it.

Lazybassplr56
11-12-2005, 10:58 PM
What's the name of that one book that has this singer on the cover and his chest and mouth is bleeding? It has to do with the hardcore/punk scene in the 80's

coheneran
11-13-2005, 06:29 AM
What's the name of that one book that has this singer on the cover and his chest and mouth is bleeding? It has to do with the hardcore/punk scene in the 80's

Sounds like Sid Vicious to me. Are you sure it was his mouth? It couldn't have been a broken nose and Get Me A Fix carved into his chest?

Anxious
11-13-2005, 09:11 AM
I got banned for three days because of spamming recently. it made me do doubletake on where my life was headed. i'd been doing drugs, hard drugs. been pimping, raping, advocating for the tobacco companies. I sold some dirty weapons grade plutonium to Libya, disguised as old Vietnamese war C-rations, to give to children. now i'm on a completely different route. *breaks into tears* I'm just so happy I found my way! I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't been banned when I was.
I'm not really spamming, just posting whatever.

I am reading Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis right now. It seems fun , so far.

I think its called American Hardcore

Skidmark Steve
11-13-2005, 09:29 AM
i dont read :upset:

Jessizzle
11-13-2005, 09:56 AM
the best book i ever read was the bio on kurt cobains life.
heavier then heaven.

Anti-Prefix
11-13-2005, 09:58 AM
the best book i ever read was the bio on kurt cobains life.
heavier then heaven.

I heard that book was pretty good.

Jessizzle
11-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I heard that book was pretty good.
I would recommend it even if you dont like Nirvana or kurt cobain .The book was intresting.

coheneran
11-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I would recommend it even if you dont like Nirvana or kurt cobain .The book was intresting.

An (auto)biography I really enjoyed was Scar Tissue (guess who wrote it:p).

Skidmark Steve
11-13-2005, 10:31 AM
the best book i ever read was "The Outsiders"

modern_man
11-13-2005, 11:51 AM
ive read some stephen king books.this was after ive seen countless stephen king movies.and the movies look like b-movies compared to the book.

DaveToopes
11-13-2005, 12:07 PM
the best book i ever read was "The Outsiders"

You must not read very much.

Skidmark Steve
11-13-2005, 12:08 PM
You must not read very much.
exactly..

Ghostfire3
11-13-2005, 07:23 PM
One of my favorite books is Animal Farm. Anyone else read it? I thought it was great.

DaveToopes
11-13-2005, 07:27 PM
One of my favorite books is Animal Farm. Anyone else read it? I thought it was great.

I LOVED Animal Farm. I have been meaning to read 1984, but school reading keeps getting in the way.

Ghostfire3
11-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I LOVED Animal Farm. I have been meaning to read 1984, but school reading keeps getting in the way.

Same here! 1984 has been on my "To Read" list but school's being a b'itch.

victimofreality
11-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I think its called American Hardcore
I've been reading it everytime I'm able to get to Barnes and Noble. I hate the way it's written, but I'm going to finish it just for the education.

obese_breasts
11-13-2005, 08:18 PM
1984 is one of my favorite books ever.

jonny no-name
11-13-2005, 08:35 PM
for punk book read salad days. good read about the 80's hardcore seane. as for other books read the original dracula by bram stoker. best book iv ever read. also the myth series by robert asprin. exreamly good SF read

Anxious
11-13-2005, 10:14 PM
I've been reading it everytime I'm able to get to Barnes and Noble.
In true PunX fashion.

Kurt Cobain Biography= Once upon a time some guy stole ideas from underground rock in the 80's, made it mainstream, and realized he was an idiot and killed himself. The End.

Lazybassplr56
11-13-2005, 10:58 PM
My favorite books include:
The Catcher In The Rye & The Giver

Brain Toad
11-14-2005, 12:17 AM
I love Animal Farm, really interesting. I remember the AP kids in 10th grade had to read it and didn't understand, f'ucking morons. They didn't understand Brave New World in 12th grade either. I like that book alot as usual. 1984 was the book that really started me into the whole dystopian novel thing. I have the movie but have yet to watch it.

The Outsiders was a good book.

coheneran
11-14-2005, 06:29 AM
Animal Farm is an amazing book, but I was so depressed by the time I reached the end. And the bit when the animals couldn't tell the difference between the pigs and the humans I just started crying.

maco
11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Catcher in the Rye --JD Salinger
The Divine Comedy --Dante Alighieri (get the John Ciardi translation, if possible)
Black Like Me --Griffin
Power Politics --Arundhati Roy
The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger --Lois Lowry (that's a series, but most people only know about The Giver)
The Devil's Arithmetic --Jane Yolen

Thank you to whomever said the author of Ender's Game. I intended to read that years ago but didn't know who wrote it. Also, if anyone knows the name/author for the book I'm about to describe, please tell me. In the book, the world government has set a population control family-size limit. Only 2 children are permitted per family. In a family where there are 3 children, one disappears. Not really, though. He hides in the house all day and no one can know he exists. Every now and then he peeks out the curtains and hides fast if someone is around. One day though, he is looking out and thinks he catches a glimpse of a face in the window of the neighbouring house--a face which is quickly hidden behind that house's curtains. I don't know the title or author, but it sounded like a good book when I was told about it. It was something about "No 3s". The title made some reference to third children not being allowed.

Animal Farm is an amazing book, but I was so depressed by the time I reached the end. And the bit when the animals couldn't tell the difference between the pigs and the humans I just started crying.
The oppressed become the oppressor.

coheneran
11-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Catcher in the Rye --JD Salinger
The Divine Comedy --Dante Alighieri (get the John Ciardi translation, if possible)
Black Like Me --Griffin
Power Politics --Arundhati Roy
The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger --Lois Lowry (that's a series, but most people only know about The Giver)
The Devil's Arithmetic --Jane Yolen

Thank you to whomever said the author of Ender's Game. I intended to read that years ago but didn't know who wrote it. Also, if anyone knows the name/author for the book I'm about to describe, please tell me. In the book, the world government has set a population control family-size limit. Only 2 children are permitted per family. In a family where there are 3 children, one disappears. Not really, though. He hides in the house all day and no one can know he exists. Every now and then he peeks out the curtains and hides fast if someone is around. One day though, he is looking out and thinks he catches a glimpse of a face in the window of the neighbouring house--a face which is quickly hidden behind that house's curtains. I don't know the title or author, but it sounded like a good book when I was told about it. It was something about "No 3s". The title made some reference to third children not being allowed.

The oppressed become the oppressor.

Third Time's The Death Warrant :p. I have no idea what that book/author is, but it sounds good. Also an uber-cool book about stone-age African culture based around ancient African folk stories (it sounds boring but it's written awesomley) is The Kin by Peter Dickinson.

victimofreality
11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
I love Animal Farm, really interesting. I remember the AP kids in 10th grade had to read it and didn't understand, f'ucking morons. They didn't understand Brave New World in 12th grade either. I like that book alot as usual. 1984 was the book that really started me into the whole dystopian novel thing. I have the movie but have yet to watch it.

The Outsiders was a good book.
I'm sure you didn't automatically see the allusion all by yourself when you first read it.

victimofreality
11-14-2005, 08:06 PM
People should quit saying books that have been said 30 times already. Either say something about it, or don't include it in your list.

Anxious
11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Babbitt is really boring.

DaveToopes
11-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Has anyone read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand? I am 250 pages through and I love it, but I am pretty interested in architecture so that might be a part of it.

The Chemist
11-25-2005, 06:15 AM
Fiction
Human Punk by John King
A good book talking about how bad England was in the 1970s, 1980s and 2000s, all narrated from the view-point of a punk in the 1970s. Neat book...

justplainpossum
12-25-2005, 11:41 AM
These are all good books on punk:

We Got the Neutron Bomb (oral history about the 70's LA scene)

Amped (funny, written by the singer of a 90's band)

Vacant (British punk scene)

Make the Music Go Bang (also about the early LA scene -- classic photos)

Hardcore California (this book is huge!)

Get in the Van (Henry's book about touring with Black Flag)

And I Don't Want To Live This Life (if you want to know why Nancy of 'Sid and Nancy' was so screwed up, this lets you in on her life. Scary stuff.)

Henrik
12-26-2005, 03:27 AM
I've just gotten The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. 900 pages. Hope it's worth it.

coheneran
12-26-2005, 04:18 AM
I've just gotten The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. 900 pages. Hope it's worth it.

That book is well punXXX. It started the Cuban revolution it did.

time bomb
12-26-2005, 04:33 AM
if you like douglas adams stuff, you'll like the discworld series by terry pratchett, its the same kind of humour...real random s'hit happens all the time, but then it all ties in later on in the book (in most cases).

Anti-Prefix
12-26-2005, 07:45 AM
Has anyone read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand? I am 250 pages through and I love it, but I am pretty interested in architecture so that might be a part of it.

No, but I have read other books by her.

On another note: You guys should check out books by Howard Zinn, especially, A People's History of the World. It's great because it reveals the exculpatory facts our government instills in our "history."

coheneran
12-26-2005, 08:56 AM
No, but I have read other books by her.

On another note: You guys should check out books by Howard Zinn, especially, A People's History of the World. It's great because it reveals the exculpatory facts our government instills in our "history."

Yeah, Howard Zinn is incredible. He is thinking of writing a book that about peace, calling for peace, with articles from politicians, activists etc.. He asked a journalist friend of mine (Amira Hass, she is Israeli and writes from Palestine, she got the International Journalism Award I think) to write an article. Also, read A People's History of the United States and A People's History of the United States 1950-2000. Also, an open media booklet (a pamphlet really) called Terrorism by Eqbal Ahmad.

sketchyjoe
12-26-2005, 09:07 AM
I reccommend everyone reads Bound for Glory by Woody Guthrie. It's brilliant.

coheneran
12-26-2005, 09:08 AM

I will try and get it. I have a big reading list. And on the top is Pride and Prejudice=(((.

Anti-Prefix
12-26-2005, 10:22 AM

Woody Guthrie is great, I did not know he wrote a book. I will definitely be checking this out.

albert_bass
12-26-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm currently reading a book about a journalist who got infiltrated with some neo-nazi skinheads and it's pretty interesting. It's a spanish journalist, but I guess the book is translated to some languages: it's called "A skinhead diary"

Liebensaft
12-26-2005, 10:54 AM
I think I'm going to read A Clockwork Orange next.

Anti-Prefix
12-26-2005, 11:10 AM
I think I'm going to read A Clockwork Orange next.

I read some of it, it was really well written. I just didn't have the time to read it.

Liebensaft
12-26-2005, 11:11 AM
I saw the movie and liked it, but now I'd like to read the book too.

_JR
12-26-2005, 06:34 PM

hitchhikers guide=kickass.period.

i just checked out 1984 from the library

Brain Toad
12-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I was reading the Communist Manifesto, but since school has gone on break I stopped reading it, really haven't had the desire to read lately.

I've got $50 worth of gift cards for Barnes & Noble, so I'll be picking up some books soon.

Anti-Prefix
12-26-2005, 08:02 PM
I was reading the Communist Manifesto, but since school has gone on break I stopped reading it, really haven't had the desire to read lately.

I've got $50 worth of gift cards for Barnes & Noble, so I'll be picking up some books soon.

Awesome Nick.

ThisUserIsAPipebomb
12-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Has anyone read Salad Days? I saw an add for it in Maximum RockNRoll and it looked pretty cool.

Also for magazines you should check out Loud Fast Rules. Idiot chocies for covers but the insides are great. There've only been two issues so far and I have them both. It might be a strictly midwestern thing I'm not sure.

For books a must-read is Our Band Could be Your Life by Michael Azerrad. Book all about the 80's underground scene. Big storys on Black Flag, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Minutemen, Mission to Burma and more.

justplainpossum
12-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes, Salad Days by Charles Romalotti is very good (I did a book signing with him here in Austin; not a lot of folks came over, but it was fun anyway). It's a fiction story about a punk in the Midwest, who's just kinda trying to find his way in the world. Romalotti wrote at least three books after that; you should definitely check it out.

I don't remember any details about Punk Is A Four Letter Word (by Ben Weasel), but I did think that it was funny and well-written.

holy_roller99
12-27-2005, 02:21 AM
i need some literary sources for my essay on the ramones and how they affected society. i posted this a while ago but was too lazy to do anything about it. i can write th eessay no problem but hye checks all my source. i need at least 5 sources and it includes books , magazine articles, and even CD covers. i did have a guitar world tribute issue with an interview but i cant find it. even if you can scan the book and send it over it would be big help. i dont care about copywrite laws i need help.