PDA

View Full Version : Screaming help (recording inside)

StormX
10-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Ok i have an about 8 second recording of me screaming twice. And before anyone says it, yes it's bad. So if merkaba, or some other vocally knowledgeable person could tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do to improve, it would be much appriciated.

the recording is here: http://home.ripway.com/2004-9/172562/Scream1.zip

Merkaba
10-22-2004, 12:29 AM
You were right it is bad!

Merkaba
10-22-2004, 12:35 AM
^Nah im just kidding! I try to have fun cause people always over criticize themselves.

Sounds to me like youre whispering. Practice singing. give us a post of the highest note you can make. In your scream you want to feel like youre singing, because you are. At least thats part of the trick. the raspy, staticky, "god he must be killing his cords" shredded sound is basically the affect of hitting the sound off the back of the throat. it takes time to learn and "master" shall i say. which really means get into you muscle memory so its rather automatic. the key is to open your throat up and relax, while still being able to contract the cords. this is where most people lose out. did you check out my samples? it gives a pretty good sound and you might be able to hear enough to help you out.

sing the scream

StormX
10-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Alright thank's merkaba, I did kinda get a feeling of whispering, but when I push it, the scream gets worse as it gets louder. I'll try singing it like you said, I haven't tried that before because I can't sing at all.

fuzzyhair
10-22-2004, 04:36 PM
holy **** man that gave me chills, scary, do what the other guy said i dont know anything about singing because i suck at it, so i play guitar lol. Good luck

KurtCobain2902
10-22-2004, 06:06 PM
^Nah im just kidding! I try to have fun cause people always over criticize themselves.

Sounds to me like youre whispering. Practice singing. give us a post of the highest note you can make. In your scream you want to feel like youre singing, because you are. At least thats part of the trick. the raspy, staticky, "god he must be killing his cords" shredded sound is basically the affect of hitting the sound off the back of the throat. it takes time to learn and "master" shall i say. which really means get into you muscle memory so its rather automatic. the key is to open your throat up and relax, while still being able to contract the cords. this is where most people lose out. did you check out my samples? it gives a pretty good sound and you might be able to hear enough to help you out.

sing the scream

Windows wont let me play your samples. A thing comes up that says "Cannot be opened" or some shlt. Any help would be appreciated.

Merkaba
10-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Oh hell i wouldnt know. Are you trying to stream them? Thats what i normall do from that sight. if you download it and it cant be opened it might be your comp. but i wouldnt know. I'll go to the site to see if anything is up but i doubt it.

KurtCobain2902
10-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks Brother.

Merkaba
10-23-2004, 03:13 PM
It works fine for me. i usually open it from the site, not download it . hmm. had any luck yet?

KurtCobain2902
10-23-2004, 03:23 PM
No,sir. OK this is what it does: I open the shlt by clicking the link, and then your sound click site comes up and I click on Lo Fi and then windows media player comes up (is this how you do it?). It loads for I'd say about 10 seconds and then a message appears that says "Cannot open. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again." Maybe my computer isn't compatible with soundclick or something because every other link I click on the site loads right up and works. Hmmmmm.....

sliver
10-23-2004, 03:41 PM
holy crap... DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT WITH HEADPHONES ON

but seriously it's not that bad... it just sounds way to high pitch. I would agree with what merkaba said, "sing" the note a little more, and less whisper more falsetto. In the scream... :naughty:

I myself have stopped screaming at live shows, it's just impossible to not ruin your voice and consistantly scream at jams and shows. We're thinking of bringing in another guy who will just scream :lol:

Merkaba
10-23-2004, 06:19 PM
No,sir. OK this is what it does: I open the shlt by clicking the link, and then your sound click site comes up and I click on Lo Fi and then windows media player comes up (is this how you do it?). It loads for I'd say about 10 seconds and then a message appears that says "Cannot open. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again." Maybe my computer isn't compatible with soundclick or something because every other link I click on the site loads right up and works. Hmmmmm.....
hmmm...well i use music match jukebox. I suggest realy player. If you dont have it, i suggest you get it. the jukebox might be available free, i dont know it came with my comp. BUt i always have problems with various applications when i try to use media player(well when the comp tries to use it, cause i would never use it if it were up to me)

Merkaba
10-23-2004, 06:22 PM
I myself have stopped screaming at live shows, it's just impossible to not ruin your voice and consistantly scream at jams and shows. We're thinking of bringing in another guy who will just scream :lol:

I dont know...i mean over time youre gonna get weaker. but thats life. i think with proper technique you can scream a hell of a alot. I just know what most people dont have proper technique. My voice has only gotten stronger and my range gone up since i started screaming alot. I hate to think that I'm special or something. Its like jogging. jogging eventually will mess your knees up. but you can take steps to lessen the damage if you prefer it over walking. which I do. But i do think that most people overpush and dont know what theyre doing. Oh well.

StormX
10-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Any tips on the singing part? cause I've never had any experience singing before, no lessons or anything.

Merkaba
10-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Any tips on the singing part? cause I've never had any experience singing before, no lessons or anything.

Well, by saying that, youre saying you havent read my voicehelp hotline?

If not, then go.

StormX
10-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I've read the hotline, and that Singing 101 topic. I just don't know how to know if I'm singing the note right, or wether I'm singing in key or not..stuff like that.

bloodclotsandblackholes
10-24-2004, 07:45 PM
it sounds like youre whispering. you may wanna try pushing harder? ah, nevermind, just do everything merkaba says. it works.

StormX
10-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah thats my problem, I can't get past whispering...merkaba?

Merkaba
10-24-2004, 11:37 PM
activate the cords like youre singing. practice singing the note first. thats what youre going to be doing when you learn to scream it. just worry about singing it for now, i would say. dont overpush though.

StormX
10-24-2004, 11:51 PM
But HOW do I know like what the note is? I can just sing like a vowel, but how do I know if im off key or not singing the note?

Merkaba
10-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Its really way harder to sing off key than you think. your brain pretty much knows what to do. Youre thinking too much. Sing while you play notes on a guitar if you got one. remember to keep a relaxed throat. just sing how you normally sing as if youre just gonna hit the note without screaming. if its high, make sure you use your falsetto...the girly air high pitched voice. I wouldnt hurt to get some more samples up. have you checked out my samples?

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
10-25-2004, 12:05 AM
thats strange...iv gotten what has happened to your merkaba...since i started screaming its felt like iv got a bigger ranger but i think for me it might just be that iv learnt to let go............thats my dribble finished

sliver
10-25-2004, 08:00 AM
I dont know...i mean over time youre gonna get weaker. but thats life. i think with proper technique you can scream a hell of a alot. I just know what most people dont have proper technique. My voice has only gotten stronger and my range gone up since i started screaming alot. I hate to think that I'm special or something. Its like jogging. jogging eventually will mess your knees up. but you can take steps to lessen the damage if you prefer it over walking. which I do. But i do think that most people overpush and dont know what theyre doing. Oh well.

Jog on the grass :thumb: you don't screw your knees up as much.

I still scream at my shows, just... I used to have songs where I'd scream for 3 or 4 minutes straight... and doing it sometimes 2 or 3 days straight just ruined me, even if you have good technique.

cool recordings btw, I like the falsetto screams. They'd sound a lot better with an electric guitar behind them.

StormX
10-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I'll try to get some samples of me singing up merkaba. I tried to listen to your samples but I can't access soundclick on this computer.

Merkaba
10-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Jog on the grass :thumb: you don't screw your knees up as much.

I still scream at my shows, just... I used to have songs where I'd scream for 3 or 4 minutes straight... and doing it sometimes 2 or 3 days straight just ruined me, even if you have good technique.

cool recordings btw, I like the falsetto screams. They'd sound a lot better with an electric guitar behind them.

exactly, do what you can to minimize inevitable damage.

Yea i might post some more musical stuff in the future. Im not much the guitar player though.