PDA

View Full Version : Micing Drums

russdvdsn
10-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Alright,, heres the situation,, its not my band but i am helping a friend of mines band make their first cd,, or attempting to,, so far we havent gotten the sound we want,,, we are having troubles wiht getting the drums to sound right,, it would be to hard to tell what all we've tried,, maybe we've just been changing so many things that we cant tell what works and what doesnt,,, but,, i just want to know,, if anybody knows the best way to mic a drumset,, but basically we have 5 mics plugged into a mixer,, and then from the mixer to a pandera recorder,, so my queastion is where the hell do u put the mics to get the best sound,, any suggestions would be appreciated,, thanks!, later

owenbassist
10-18-2004, 12:58 AM
hmm...theres several different ways to mic a drumset, different people do it differently, but i'll give you a setup i've used which works

with a standard set...

1 mic for the bassdrum, if you have the soundhole cut in the front of the drum, put the mic there, if not, put is close and test it until you find a sound you like

1 mic underneath the snare and high hat

1 mic by floor tom and ride cymbal, i've seen them positioned beneath the cymbal but above the tom, you may not be able to do this if you have an agressive playing style, if thats the case, put it a little further back

now you can use either 1 mic for the mounted toms and crash, placed in the middle, or if you want you can mic the toms and the crash separately, or, if you use two crash cymbals, one for the right tom and cymbal, one for the left tom and cymbal

the way i've always thought of it is to create a setup that will let you adjust the volume for each piece of the drumset, so you can create the mix you like

moaner
10-18-2004, 09:32 AM
or, failing that, but a drum mic set- its useful for gigging and recording and a worthwhile investment if you're going to be doing much of either

russdvdsn
10-18-2004, 02:46 PM
thanks, i'll have to try some that,,, we have considered buying a drum mic set,, but,, we are antsy to record and mess around with all of this stuff now,, and have no money to buy a quality set,, but thanks for the suggestions,, any more?

DWJK
10-18-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb03/articles/drummiking.asp?session=259cc0a1ca4a6615ca42207fee4 deeb8

That simple.

Annunaki
10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Ok, 5 mics eh?

1 mic on top or bottom of snare - doesnt really matter, depends on what sound you want

1 mic for bass drum, either inside next to the head that the beater hits, or outsid ethe outer head

2 mics up top, one facing down on the Hi hat and one on the ride, these are your overheads and youll pan these 2 out left and right

last one I would put on a floor tom, your overheads will pick up the mounted toms pretty well,

also cut out 400hz from your toms and bass, even your snare, that frequency makes drums sound like wet cardboard.

russdvdsn
10-20-2004, 06:09 PM
thanks i really appreciate all the advice!